NBC Sports Edge Forums

Leonard Fournette 2020 Outlook

19 minutes ago, Klientel said:

I hate to be the one to break it to you but there is a strong chance this is a 3 man RBBC. With Fournette's injury history he's never going to be the workhorse.

Except he carried it for 265 times last year and had 100 targets? Seems pretty work horsey to me 🤔

• Like 8
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only people on the face of the earth saying this is going to be a “full blown RBBC” are Rojo owners and dolts.  Which are you??

The only role he has ever had in his career is as the workhorse. Three weeks ago there was literally nobody saying that he wouldn’t have that role for the Jags in 2020. Now just a short time later on

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Klientel said:

I hate to be the one to break it to you but there is a strong chance this is a 3 man RBBC. With Fournette's injury history he's never going to be the workhorse.

The only role he has ever had in his career is as the workhorse. Three weeks ago there was literally nobody saying that he wouldn’t have that role for the Jags in 2020. Now just a short time later on the Bucs, with stout competition like RoJo (who in two years couldn’t beat out Peyton Barber) and the ghost of Shady McCoy (a healthy scratch last year once the Chiefs realized he had nothing left), you are convinced that it will be 3 headed timeshare and declare that Fournette will never be the workhorse. I’m not confident enough to say he will definitely be the workhorse, but to say it will never happen when he has been the definition of a workhorse up to this point and entering his age 25 season—that’s about as absurd as it gets. 

• Like 9
48 minutes ago, Klientel said:

based on mccoy who is done and jones who isn't that good. It's likely a slower start as he gets a grasp of the offense but for most who took him in the mid rounds the upside and path to a main RB role is easily there and he was the workhouse with the jags. Not like you spent a first or 2nd to get him. The history of injury isn't great but the risk matches where most ended up taking him

54 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

Except he carried it for 265 times last year and had 100 targets? Seems pretty work horsey to me 🤔

This team seems to be happy with RoJo enough to keep him involved. Just don’t be shocked when it’s a full blown RBBC 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Klientel said:

Nah, Fournette will be the every down workhorse beginning Sunday at 4:25 pm EST. Fournette doesn’t have an injury history, the guy has never had surgery on anything in his life. His entire life injury history, a sprained ankle and a sprained hamstring, was matched by Saquon just last season. Sorry you missed out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, lilremix328 said:

You guys firing him up week 1? Can't decide still.. 

if you can wait a week, or fire him up in the flex, I think it’s still prudent to do so. He was signed pretty late and with no preseason games, they might try and ease him in.

I just find it funny that people are willing to go out on a limb for a back like Jonathan Taylor who hasn’t played a single down overtaking a back like Mack that’s averaged 1000 yards the last two years but aren’t willing to concede on that same logic for Fournette overtaking a mediocre at best Rojo. This is clearly reflected in how Fournette is on average being drafted a full round behind Taylor. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

• Like 5

What in the hell are you guys still arguing about in here lol. Worst case he’s going to return some flex/RB2 value this year, best case he’ll return RB1 value. If you drafted before he was cut, hopefully you get a good return. If you drafted him after, then you likely got yourself a steal. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3
14 hours ago, AnchorDown said:

I seem to remember a guy who averaged 4.0, 4.1. and 3.8 YPC in his first three seasons playing for a terrible team, only to be sold for peanuts after a disappointing start to his career. I forget his name but I think he ended up earning the name “Beast Mode” and rolled off his most iconic run of his career months after landing with the Seahawks. Anyone remember this guy?

A guy that wasn’t CUT by his original team and that Seattle TRADED for to be their starter from day 1.  Neither applies to Fournette.

Wow - I’m pretty amazed there are so many people who have managed to convince themselves he’s going to be some sort of every-down workhorse and not just a committee member.  I foresee a lot of disappointment in these parts in the coming weeks.

11 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Wow - I’m pretty amazed there are so many people who have managed to convince themselves he’s going to be some sort of every-down workhorse and not just a committee member.  I foresee a lot of disappointment in these parts in the coming weeks.

People have to convince themselves they didn’t flush their rd 3-5 pick down the toilet. 

Denial is the first stage of grief...

15 hours ago, AnchorDown said:

I seem to remember a guy who averaged 4.0, 4.1. and 3.8 YPC in his first three seasons playing for a terrible team, only to be sold for peanuts after a disappointing start to his career. I forget his name but I think he ended up earning the name “Beast Mode” and rolled off his most iconic run of his career months after landing with the Seahawks. Anyone remember this guy?

Yeah he was also a guy that averaged 4.2 or less YPC in 3 of the 5 years in Seattle. He also received 280+ carries in 4 of them, he was the undisputed bell cow on those Seattle teams. 
The argument against Fournette is that his inefficiency requires him to get volume to succeed. You either believe he will get that volume or you don’t. 
PFF ranked him behind RoJo in pass protection as well, and on a per touch basis RoJo ranked higher than Fournette on PFF as well last year. So assuming he beats him out completely seems 50/50 to me. 
Not to do with the quoted post but Also this narrative that they didn’t have faith in RoJo cause they brought McCoy, drafted a rookie and now Fournette seems flawed. This is a team with aspirations of winning big this year, they could of seen Fournette is there and they have a rookie and McCoy as the insurance if RoJo got hurt and simply decided that they wanted more security at the position.. Very easy to spin a narrative on this to fit your position. 
He is a wide range of outcomes player, you either feel comfortable taking the shot or you don’t. 

Edited by tristan0823
Spelling
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

People have to convince themselves they didn’t flush their rd 3-5 pick down the toilet. 

It happens. Many of us will have a wasted early round pick once the injuries start.

Flushing away picks is part of the game!!!

• Like 1

Conservatively if healthy and doesn’t go full Lenny in the locker room, I am putting him down for 1200 total yards and 7 TDS. There is obviously room to go either way, but that is where I think he will end up and how I would draft. I own him in a dynasty, so my hopes may be skewed a bit, so take that for what it is worth.

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

A guy that wasn’t CUT by his original team and that Seattle TRADED for to be their starter from day 1.  Neither applies to Fournette.

RBs are valued a lot differently nowadays and it’s very rare that we see trades straight up for running backs anymore. Lynch was brought into a team that already had Forsett, and he was basically left for dead by the media. A lot of similarities here with the difference being that in terms of production, the arrow is pointing up on Fournette prior to his arrival to his new team. If anything, there’s a lot more reason to be optimistic about Fournette at this stage of his career than it was when Lynch was traded—and yet there are many in this thread who think Fournette is now relegated to the Peyton Barber role in this offense at best, and a lesser timeshare involving a RBBC at worst, when the only thing has changed between his RB7 finish last year and now is that he plays on a much better offense.

Talent? Check. Past production? Check. Opportunity? Check. The guy is being undervalued, that’s my only point, and it’s strange to me to see how many people are down on a guy that checks most of the boxes for what you want from a RB3+ pick. You literally can’t do better at that spot in the draft than Fournette. Just my opinion though 😎

• Like 6
5 hours ago, BMcP said:

I'm not wise enough to know which way this will go, only that there is definitely a lot of uncertainty here. One thing I'm pretty confident about is this thread will be very entertaining this season

• Like 2
5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Denial is also that you didn’t draft him so you come on a LF forum to make yourself feel better.....

Or are you the guy that drafted ROJO before the trade thinking you had a FF stud?

5 hours ago, BMcP said:

As a Rojo and Fournette truther last year this is basically my nightmare scenario for them.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, BMcP said:

In my draft, he went at RB24. So While I think people are hoping for a workhorse, I don’t think too many people are paying for him to be a workhorse.

But it wouldn’t take much for him to beat his ADP.

10 hours ago, BMcP said:

10 hours ago, joshua18 said:

I don't know about all platforms, but on Yahoo at least he can be had in the 9th-11th rounds. Hes completely buried in the rankings. What exactly are people expecting from a pick that late? 

Yes, I realize in tough leagues he's gone long before that, but in YPros he's a bargain

10 hours ago, BMcP said:

Let me give you the RoJo thread version of your comment, ready:

Wow - I'm pretty amazed there are so many people who managed to convince themselves that RoJo was ever going to be the some sort of lead back for the Bucs. I foresee a lot of disappointment in the coming weeks when it finally sinks in that Bruce Arians' public comments about his RB's are worthless, RoJo couldn't take over a backfield from Peyton Barber, the Bucs spent significant draft capital on a running back, signed a veteran running back and then signed a more talented RB in his prime in the 25th hour before the season starts, thus solidifying their disbelief that RoJo can ever be a "bell-cow" in the NFL, yet somehow there are RoJo truthers that think he is good at football and that the Bucs believe in him long-term.

Edited by paulwall29
  • Thanks 1