NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rob Gronkowski 2020 Outlook

For my money, that Vick comeback season is still the single craziest single player's fantasy season i've experienced, by a country mile. Proof it can be done, i guess. 

He's one of those players that you're bound to have a couple of players in your league fall in love with.  That means you'll need to get him at the top of his ADP range if you want him, and that's where i back away, even if i overcome my initial reservations over the next few months.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The dude looked like he was falling apart in his last season. It’s like everyone just forgets how bad he was

4 hours ago, RunCMC said:

Nothing else to add huh ? GG  . The biggest joke is comparing TE’s and RB’s. 

I’d actually say it’s a bigger joke not comparing players on an individual basis regardless of position. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, LostAtSea said:

What do people expect out of Gronk?

Before retiring at 29 due to injury, he hadn't played a full 16 games in 7 straight seasons. He only hit 15 games in 2 of those 7 seasons.

In his final 3 seasons, age 27, 28, 29, here were his stats:

2016 - 27 - 8 games, 25 receptions, 540 yards, 3 TDs

2017 - 28 - 14 games, 69 receptions, 1084 yards, 8 TDs

2018 - 29 - 13 games, 47 receptions, 682 yards, 3 TDs

So he couldn't stay healthy 5 years ago, or anytime since, he hasnt played in a year, and when he did play when he was younger and healthier he only averaged 4 receptions, 66 yards, 0.4 TDs per game, or 10.4 points (0.5ppr) per game, aka tied for 10th amongst TEs with Jared Cook and Will Dissly in 2019. 

I just don't see him being healthy at 31 now when he hasnt been since 25, or getting volume if he is, or being very valuable short term if he does, or being valuable long term no matter what. No thanks for me

With the weapons Tampa Bay has, if he stays healthy he will put up numbers somewhere between his 2017-18 seasons(probably on the high end concerning  TD's)...He is also a very good blocker, one of the main reasons the Pats won the Superbowl just running the ball: they missed his blocking  last year big time  

Edited by hockeyfan77
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

I think he is going to be a red zone package guy/3rd down player. I bet his snaps never cross 40% and why should it, they have two great TEs to begin with and then 2 top 15 WRs. Ultimate fools gold this year. 

Well he's going to gold in best ball formats. If his name value causes him to be overdrafted in my regular drafts I'll be happy.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

At this rate the pirate ship is gonna run out of gunpowder.

As long as they sync up the cannons with the GRONK-SMASH!  All will be good.

1. I had him in 2018 and want no part of this, especially with Brate and Howard still on the roster as well as Evans and Godwin to feed.

I really don't think Brady is suddenly going to throw 50 TDs again. He maybe hits 30. I think Gronk gets overdrafted, I could see him finish somewhere along the lines of 400/5 tops.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

''Except for OJ Howard is much much faster than Rob Gronkowski."

Howard is being moved, I think Washington would've loved him for Trent Williams.

Brady is not that long pass thrower and will rely heavily on Gronk as he did in New England. Gronk just needs to stay healthy and on the field and if he does that I don't see why he can't be possibly a Top 5 TE in the league with the likes of Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, and Ertz.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BleachyBlonde said:

Brady is not that long pass thrower and will rely heavily on Gronk as he did in New England. Gronk just needs to stay healthy and on the field and if he does that I don't see why he can't be possibly a Top 5 TE in the league with the likes of Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, and Ertz.

A big IF... hope he does. Gronk smash!

• Like 1
On 4/21/2020 at 7:55 PM, BrianM said:

For my money, that Vick comeback season is still the single craziest single player's fantasy season i've experienced, by a country mile. Proof it can be done, i guess. 

Vick didn’t leave football because he was falling apart physically. So while it’s proof it can be done not really comparable.

I remember that season though. **** was absurd and Vick was going as high as #1 in fantasy drafts next year. Didn’t really work out well for his owners... 

12 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Vick didn’t leave football because he was falling apart physically. So while it’s proof it can be done not really comparable.

I remember that season though. **** was absurd and Vick was going as high as #1 in fantasy drafts next year. Didn’t really work out well for his owners... 

The Matthew Berry drafting strategy never works out well.  Remember that clown constantly touting Vick that year.

On 4/28/2020 at 11:30 PM, Gohawks said:

Every single league i was in that year was won by Vick's owner.  Dropped from 9 rush TD's to ONE the next year, and yep, i had him.  Also, I'm pretty sure i finished second in spite of spending a fortune on Vick, and that only happened because of...........Rob Gronkowski

• 3 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 6:26 AM, BleachyBlonde said:

You don't see why? Then you may want to take another look at the 2018 season when Gronk was pretty cooked, or maybe the interviews he did in 2019 when it was clear how totally done he was (and how much weight he'd lost).

I get that a TE can perform for a long time but that's if the body is fully healthy, and Gronk just wasn't. Not saying it's impossible (like you also hedged your bet) but my smart money is to bypass Gronk and go straight to other options.