NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rob Gronkowski 2020 Outlook

6 minutes ago, TwoCan Sam said:

I think OJ is also flying under the radar as well. Gronk still has to get back into football shape so his snaps will be more limited this week. But with that said watch Brate go off.

Oh stop with that over exaggerated nonsense about football shape. The dude has been in camp, knows the playbook now, and if you've seen any training camp on him he looks incredible. Oh by the way, his QB is Brady and Mike Evans is probably on a pitch count. They didn't pay the guy 9 mil for limited snaps.... guess how much Brate and OJ are making this year? Not even half of that combined. 

Edit: I still think all the tight ends will eat this year. Not a fair comparison but think about when Brady had Aaron Gonzalez and Gronk. We've seen offenses have two tight end success but it will be interesting to see how Arians utilizes the tight ends now with Brady who's favored them his entire career.

Edited by A27K

I just have him in 1 league. I do not even know if he should be rostered in 10 team leagues.

He played on lot of snaps, like above 70% but never got targeted enough to justify his skills. Very disappointing. They were just using him to block.

When Mike Evans comes back, I am not sure if Gronk will be relevant anymore.

• Haha 1

Just now, zen25 said:

I just have him in 1 league. I do not even know if he should be rostered in 10 team leagues.

He played on lot of snaps, like above 70% but never got targeted enough to justify his skills. Very disappointing. They were just using him to block.

really disagree with that take...may wana grab howard for insurance and see what develops..only week 1 and this was the buccs first game and it was against a tough defense...may take a couple of weeks till things start to jell together...

9 minutes ago, zen25 said:

Mike Evans played nearly a full compliment of snaps in week 1, so I am not sure I follow.

The bigger problem is that Gronk looks like he is running in quicksand and happens to be the third best TE on his own team.

A team that runs an offense that has historically kind of ignored the TE.

Tell you what--trade Gronk to one of your league's team managers who thinks he is buying Gronk low.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

I'm a big "don't overreact to week 1" guy, but, is Gronk a legit drop already?  I'm really thinking he is, especially for someone like Goedert, for example. 

well if u can get goedert i would but week 1 is notorious for being a mirage week...teams look amazing week 1 and then week 2 and beyond they fall apart...

10 minutes ago, zen25 said:

Is this guy startable in Week 2.

C Godwin seems not to be 100%, so Gronk should play more snaps. 

The only problem is getting targets. 

The main reason for drafting Gronk is his connection with TB12. We saw he was ignored in Week 1.

He wasn’t really ignored. He just didn’t get separation and they used him to block on most plays. On his one catch near the sideline where he fought for additional yards upon being tackled he looked SLOW. He either doesn’t have the burst anymore (legitimate concern) or he just is working his way back into football shape. Either way Howard is the TE to own in TB for the time being.

Also Tom has chemistry with Gronk. He fed his receivers more because they need to get the timing down. Without preseason and a normal offseason this showed on the field Sunday. The home matchup against Carolina is the perfect get right game for this Tampa Bay passing attack.

Edited by TwoCan Sam

21 hours ago, 6point6 said:

A doughnut this week. Pretty clear drop at this point, yeah? 

13 hours ago, DJSatane said:

same stats as if he stayed retired, drop

2 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

This guy might as well get a head set and stay on the sideline

I am now 0-2 gonna throw half my money on Schultz, no choice.............................. :( 

SmugQualifiedBaleenwhale-max-1mb.gif

Head coach Bruce Arians said his offense isn't built for tight ends to see consistent targets. 

Arians, complimenting Rob Gronkowski's blocking prowess, is acknowledging what we've known for a couple weeks, as Gronkowski has caught two passes for 11 yards through two weeks. “We’re not throwing the ball 50 times to tight ends – that’s what we have receivers for [and] that’s the way our offense is built,” Arians said. “Gronk’s playing great run blocking in the fourth quarter, so I’m not concerned with his pass catches or his targets. ... We haven’t had that many red zone opportunities and I don’t see him running 40 yards past people anymore." Any hope for Gronk to get involved in the team's target tree has been squelched. The ghost of Gronk should be dropped in 12-team leagues. 

SOURCE: USA Today
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Head coach Bruce Arians said his offense isn't built for tight ends to see consistent targets. 

Arians, complimenting Rob Gronkowski's blocking prowess, is acknowledging what we've known for a couple weeks, as Gronkowski has caught two passes for 11 yards through two weeks. “We’re not throwing the ball 50 times to tight ends – that’s what we have receivers for [and] that’s the way our offense is built,” Arians said. “Gronk’s playing great run blocking in the fourth quarter, so I’m not concerned with his pass catches or his targets. ... We haven’t had that many red zone opportunities and I don’t see him running 40 yards past people anymore." Any hope for Gronk to get involved in the team's target tree has been squelched. The ghost of Gronk should be dropped in 12-team leagues. 

BA spoke the truth for once. I'm very proud of him. Maybe he starts doing this more often.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

droppable. unfortunuately those who still held on most likely dont have better options out there. a little too late 

i drafted him as my only te. after week 1s game, i got jonnu and then dropped gronk this week for schultz 

Edited by pfresh
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

34 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

BA spoke the truth for once. I'm very proud of him. Maybe he starts doing this more often.

Now Gronk will come out in week 3 and score 2 TDs with 100+ yards. Fan boy's will say, "see Gronk's back and legit TE1!"

Then Gronk will fade back into blocking for the rest of the season...

At some point the Brady to Gronk connection will kick in. It might be a few weeks flash in the pan but it will happen. That connection is undeniable and it is gonna come out of nowhere. Arians is crafting a bit of a false narrative here. Listen to what I say and don’t watch what I’m going to do. 

Gronk is gonna make a highlight reel or two busting the seam and catching a 20-30 yard TD. 

he is not startable right now. 

Edited by dudewithabadcat

Brady doesn't look like he's gonna have big numbers this year, and there are too many mouths to feed in Tampa.  I don't think you can start Gronk.  He might get you 1 or 2 good games and then the rest of the time you're getting 2 catches for 25 yards.