NBC Sports Edge Forums

21 hours ago, Resident A-hole said:

Favre actually had MORE injury concerns than Tua does. He had 30 inches of his intestines removed after a car accident in his Senior year, and then was diagnosed with necrosis in his hip (same as Bo Jackson) during his physical when traded to Green Bay. The GB doctors wanted to fail the physical & void the trade, but were overruled by team management. Favre overcame all that to have a very healthy & highly productive career. Who's to say Tua can't do the same?

Preach.....and Roll Tide and El Tractorito!

• Like 1
  • Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, fachowski said:

If Lamar was the previous year's Mahomes, and Kyler is this year's Lamar, Tua is next year's Kyler.

ūü§ď

I'm hoping for this, as he is an awesome keeper selection right now.

I didn't watch much of him in college, but let's hope he's more Steve Young than Matt Leinart / Tim Tebow.  All I can picture in my head right now with a left handed QB is that slow sweeping molasses delivery of Tebow...

10 minutes ago, CooL said:

I didn't watch much of him in college, but let's hope he's more Steve Young than Matt Leinart / Tim Tebow.  All I can picture in my head right now with a left handed QB is that slow sweeping molasses delivery of Tebow...

If you like good passing and decision making check out his video

He is a much more advanced passer than tebow.

ūü§£

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
15 minutes ago, CooL said:

Comparing him to Tebow has to be one of the most asinine things I have ever heard....even if it is jest benign concern.

which scouting service do you work for

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, kencav said:

Comparing him to Tebow has to be one of the most asinine things I have ever heard....even if it is jest benign concern.

which scouting service do you work for

Of course he's not Tebow.  I'm merely bringing up left handed QBs, of which there have been relatively few in the NFL's history.

6 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

he'll be the second from 'bama, tho ...

stabler.gif

Snake Stabler, beloved by all in his home state! RIP, snake.

I drafted Devanta Parker in every league this year with the expectation Tua would take over. 

Miami needs to deploy Tua similar to how Peterson is using Wentz. The RPO is deadly and Tua can pick you apart.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Snake Stabler, beloved by all in his home state! RIP, snake.

I drafted Devanta Parker in every league this year with the expectation Tua would take over. 

Miami needs to deploy Tua similar to how Peterson is using Wentz. The RPO is deadly and Tua can pick you apart.

SNAKE/STAUBACH/BRADSHAW .... 

the three #12s who dominated the 70s - not tossing Griese on 'cuz he barely threw the ball during that early 70s run - but from the '71 to '79 seasons a #12 won every Super Bowl. 

back to Tua ... very curious spot vs the Rams for to give him his first start. 

Darnold's rush, Ramsey locking down Parker ... gotta think Flores & co see something on film they think they can exploit big time ... because that's a stout enough defense to cut yer first set of game teeth on. 

though it is very reminiscent of Harbags/Kaep back in SFO .... Smiff had the 'Niners within a muffed punt of the Super Bowl the year prior, and had them atop the NFC West as they headed into their bye. 

then Harbags announces Kaep is getting the start over Smiff - and it was a Monday night game vs a very vicious Bears defense (Urlacher prime era).

i remember watching it and thinking Harbags was out his cotdamn mind ... but i'll be a mofo if Kaep didn't befuddle da Bears, and make that staff look like geniuses. 

similar scenario here - Miami would not be taking this kinda plunge lest they know ...

• Like 2

The thing that keeps jumping out at me from Tua’s film is how quick and effortless his release is. That plus his accuracy and ability to read defenses should serve him well. Kid looks special... now we’ll get to see how that translates to the big show. 

• Like 1

@DerrickHenrysCleats two questions for you since you've probably seen him more than anyone:

1) Where would you rank him ROS in terms of fantasy QBs?

2) Any thoughts on who he might lean on in the passing game? Is Parker a good buy-low right now or should we be snagging Preston Williams off the waivers?

1 hour ago, vercrazy said:

@DerrickHenrysCleats two questions for you since you've probably seen him more than anyone:

1) Where would you rank him ROS in terms of fantasy QBs?

2) Any thoughts on who he might lean on in the passing game? Is Parker a good buy-low right now or should we be snagging Preston Williams off the waivers?

I've watched all his college games, all his high school recruiting highlights, all his elite 11 videos. I've seen enough of him to say he is one of the most polished QBs to come out since Peyton Manning.

His ability to read the defense and manipulate defenders with his eyes is possibly his strongest attribute, recognition of what the defense is trying to take away is another of his strongest attributes. He has a nice zip on the ball but his arm isn't as strong as the strongest guys but much like Manning he understands the nuances of the position, hitting open men.

This weekend for example you can expect Tua to spread the ball around the offense. It's his 1st game so not sure how Chan Hailey will use him but in college he would be passing almost immediately and they would use the run to complement what Tua can do through the air so you would see WR screens, slants, deep shots, all mixed in with dumpoffs to the RB if his reads were not open. Much like the offense Manning ran with the Colts, out of the shotgun just peppering guys with targets.

My guess is that Miami tries to stay conservative initially with Tua. But if you want to see Tua at his best then they will open it up for him. My guess has always been that it is a net positive for all fantasy players with Tua at QB. Fitz was efficient with his attempts but Tua wants to pass way more than that, that's more opportunity for everyone. Preston williams for example hardly ever got over 2 targets per game. I expect that to change with Tua to around 5 or more targets per game. Gesiki had some games where he was nearly not targeted at all. I think that changes between the 20's but Shaheen is a RX threat. I think Gesiki should start seeing more consistent targets per game closer to averaging 5. Parker is expect to get a steady diet as well, provided he is healthy around 8 targets per game. 

Myles Gas Can should benefit greatly. If they open up the offense with Tua in shotgun running some RPO then Gas Can is gonna look like Miles Sanders.

Tua gives his pass catchers a chance to make plays. It's similar to what Herbert is doing in SD. He boosted the value of KA, made HH more consistent but is still tossing TDs to Mike Williams, Jalen Guyton and Donald Parham.

I think you will see Tua raise the floor of Parker, Williams, Gesiki but you will see some TDs from guys like Shaheen and Grant as well.  

Sorry, I didn't answer the specific questions very well.

Without seeing how they plan on deploying him I put him around the Herbert/Wentz category. That's the type of talent that I have seen.

I'd want Parker over Williams because Parker is the better WR but I think Williams could become much more relevant with Tua at QB. I'd want to trade for both if the price was right.

In dynasty as soon as the dolphins drafted Tua I traded for Parker, Williams, and Gesiki prepping for Tua to take over.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
12 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

This weekend for example you can expect Tua to spread the ball around the offense. It's his 1st game so not sure how Chan Hailey will use him but in college he would be passing almost immediately and they would use the run to complement what Tua can do through the air so you would see WR screens, slants, deep shots, all mixed in with dumpoffs to the RB if his reads were not open. Much like the offense Manning ran with the Colts, out of the shotgun just peppering guys with targets.

My guess is that Miami tries to stay conservative initially with Tua.

Tua is another fantastic example of the new breed of QB.  He's going to be electric for sure, and I guy I have no problem picking up.  However, as a bye week filler for this week against some monsters for the LAR, it is purely a gut thing, but I just can't say how confident I would feel starting Him... Not like Rivers is even an upgrade though haha, just a safer floor perhaps

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, csv2209 said:

Tua is another fantastic example of the new breed of QB.  He's going to be electric for sure, and I guy I have no problem picking up.  However, as a bye week filler for this week against some monsters for the LAR, it is purely a gut thing, but I just can't say how confident I would feel starting Him... Not like Rivers is even an upgrade though haha, just a safer floor perhaps

That's fair, the Rams do have a few games wreckers on defense.

Tua can spread it around to mitigate Jalen Ramsey. Not sure Micah Kiser can stay with Mike Gesiki and RB screens to gas can help neutralize Aaron donald.

Not a great matchup but at least the Rams are on a short week a d traveling across the country after a Monday night game against chicago

• Like 2
18 hours ago, csv2209 said:

Same for me, [...] Great expectations for TT going forward!

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

I had him head and shoulders above Herbert and JH is killing it right now. I think Chan will have a solid gameplan for Tua. Flores plays the guys who give Miami the best chance to win so you have to ask yourself, what can Tua do to exploit the Rams D that Fitz couldn't? If we figure that out, we will know which pass catchers Tua will elevate this week. As a Newton owner, I've aggressively acquired Tua and I'm starting him from here on out. Full disclosure: extreme Dolphin's fan.

[...]

Really wanted to wait and see a week with him, but I do not like the prospect of wind in other games, and there's a chance they catch the Rams sleeping.  10 am LA time game, cross country trip, coming off a big win [Mon]day night...

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content
On 10/30/2020 at 12:32 PM, codyodea said:

I had him head and shoulders above Herbert and JH is killing it right now. I think Chan will have a solid gameplan for Tua. Flores plays the guys who give Miami the best chance to win so you have to ask yourself, what can Tua do to exploit the Rams D that Fitz couldn't? If we figure that out, we will know which pass catchers Tua will elevate this week. As a Newton owner, I've aggressively acquired Tua and I'm starting him from here on out. Full disclosure: extreme Dolphin's fan.

Sorta in the same boat, I got Watson on a bye and Cam available but cutting bait and I’m rolling with Tua even against the Rams, and for some reason I feel confident. 

6 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

[...]

Really wanted to wait and see a week with him, but I do not like the prospect of wind in other games, and there's a chance they catch the Rams sleeping.  10 am LA time game, cross country trip, coming off a big win [Mon]day night...

I concur, I feel like this is a trap game for the Rams and everything looks to set up well for Tua. Funny how sometimes the stars align. We shall see.

• Like 1