NBC Sports Edge Forums

I'm not surprised.  Trevor Lawrence is one of the can't miss prospects in the entire history of the NFL.  He's been compared to Peyton.  John Elway.  The Dolphins would be fools to not consider him only to find out in a year or two that Tua isn't the answer.  Now I don't think the Dolphins record will be bad enough to get to #1, but you never know about the other guys.

I wasn't that impressed either by what I saw from Tua.  To me, he just looks small.  But he is compared to the other rooks.  Tua is 6'1" and 209.  Not small compared to the normal citizen, but small for a QB.  Justin Herbert is 6'6" and 236.  Joe Burrow is 6'4" and 221.  Size isn't everything of course.  Kyler is lighting the league on fire and he's 5'10" and 207.  Russell as everyone knows is only 5'11" and 215.  So it's possible to be an effective QB and not have the prototypical size.  We'd all agree that Russell and Kyler are special talents.  Is Tua in that same conversation?

We obviously hope yes.  There's a reason why he was a Heisman finalist and arguably in the discussion for #1 overall before his injury.  Hoping to see more from him and hoping they allow him the full playbook to see what he can do.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, CooL said:

I'm not surprised.  Trevor Lawrence is one of the can't miss prospects in the entire history of the NFL.  He's been compared to Peyton.  John Elway.  The Dolphins would be fools to not consider him only to find out in a year or two that Tua isn't the answer.  Now I don't think the Dolphins record will be bad enough to get to #1, but you never know about the other guys.

I wasn't that impressed either by what I saw from Tua.  To me, he just looks small.  But he is compared to the other rooks.  Tua is 6'1" and 209.  Not small compared to the normal citizen, but small for a QB.  Justin Herbert is 6'6" and 236.  Joe Burrow is 6'4" and 221.  Size isn't everything of course.  Kyler is lighting the league on fire and he's 5'10" and 207.  Russell as everyone knows is only 5'11" and 215.  So it's possible to be an effective QB and not have the prototypical size.  We'd all agree that Russell and Kyler are special talents.  Is Tua in that same conversation?

We obviously hope yes.  There's a reason why he was a Heisman finalist and arguably in the discussion for #1 overall before his injury.  Hoping to see more from him and hoping they allow him the full playbook to see what he can do.

But Tua is better than Brett Favre according to some here. 

23 hours ago, CooL said:

Now I don't think the Dolphins record will be bad enough to get to #1...

But the Texans record might be. And the talk is about that pick, that the Fins aquired in the Tunsil trade.

It's a win/win for Tua, IMO.

If the Dolphins are silly enough to go out and draft another top 5 QB then they can go ahead and trade Tua to the Falcons, I'm sure Tua would prefer to throw to Julio and Ridley as opposed to Parker and Williams. Then the Dolphins can let that top 5 QB they draft to audition for them with Parker and Williams with no training camp or preseason games. 

Miami does not have a single pro bowler on their offense.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

It's a win/win for Tua, IMO.

If the Dolphins are silly enough to go out and draft another top 5 QB then they can go ahead and trade Tua to the Falcons, I'm sure Tua would prefer to throw to Julio and Ridley as opposed to Parker and Williams. Then the Dolphins can let that top 5 QB they draft to audition for them with Parker and Williams with no training camp or preseason games. 

Miami does not have a single pro bowler on their offense.

Miami rebuilt right. Trenches first, then skill positions next year. Offensive probowlers are coming next year. Probably from that Houston pick!

Throw out his debut game.  Because of the DST TDs, it was a weird game script.  Plus, the Rams have a very good defense.  Not a ton you can take away from it though.  He didn't get hurt, and he didn't give the game away, so successful first start.

Pretty obvious the plan going into the season was to switch to him during the bye week, it just happened to get moved up from week 10 or 11 to week 7.  Remember, they basically had to switch to a left handed offense with him, so having 2 weeks to implement it was probably vital.

I don't think Miami is looking to trade him, but considering all options is due diligence.  I wouldn't assume they ever planned on possibly being in position to even have a shot at Lawrence or Fields, but Houston's nosedive changes that equation.

If they do end up with a top 3-5 pick via Houston, and their own in the mid 1st, regardless of how Tua plays they have to strongly consider taking one of those QBs.  I don't see Tua completely pooping the bed like Rosen, so, assuming he doesn't get injured, I think he'd fetch a lot more in return.  Would make sense for a lot of teams that figure to be picking late 1st and have elder QBs (Saints, Steelers, Bucs, Colts come to mind).  The Patriots would be a possibility if they weren't a division rival.  Bears, 49ers, Raiders, Redskins would be other candidates. 

But I doubt that scenario plays out.  I'd bet the Dolphins end up with something like the 9th and 15th picks, which would be good ammo to move up, yet see enough in Tua to not go to the extreme effort of making a deal and restarting at the position (plus there aren't great likely candidates for teams that would be in a spot to take one of the top two prospects and willing to trade out).

I have high hope for Tua this season.  Moderate expectations, but high hopes.  He's got a solid infrastructure around him, though Gaskin being out hurts.  I'm excited to see him get at it tomorrow. 

• Like 1
On 11/8/2020 at 9:13 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Use the picks next year and draft Devonta Smith and Najee Harris. Then that offense can start cooking.

If they shore up the O line next season with Thuney and/or Bakhtiari while drafting for skill position players (like Etienne, Waddle, Chase, Smith), it's going to be fiyah

I think that was so bad that I might never be able to start Tua again for the rest of his career. He looked like a flaming piece of poo out there.

You look around the league and see the other rookie QBs killing it, not to mention Fitzpatrick playing significantly better with the exact same team, and I'm starting to think this guy is a total JAG that just happened to be on one of the greatest college teams of all time.