• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Promoted 2 coaches to OC that will share the duties. Godsey and studsville

R.I.P. to the dolphins offense. 

Why?

12 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

same offense as last season.

all they have to do now is re-sign fitzmagic.

They finished 12th in offensive DVOA, and that with forcing an admittedly underprepared Tua into the starting role.  I don’t see continuity in coaching/scheme as a “death sentence” here.

15 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

same offense as last season.

all they have to do now is re-sign fitzmagic.

That would be the logical thing to do. But the most likely thing is he’s elsewhere and they’re forced to hitch their wagon to an inept and overmatched Tua. Again. 

28 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

That would be the logical thing to do. But the most likely thing is he’s elsewhere and they’re forced to hitch their wagon to an inept and overmatched Tua. Again. 

the most logical thing to do would have been to hire a legit OC.

32 minutes ago, BMcP said:

They finished 12th in offensive DVOA, and that with forcing an admittedly underprepared Tua into the starting role.  I don’t see continuity in coaching/scheme as a “death sentence” here.

I don’t know what DVOA stands for but the Dolphins were not the 12th best offense last year and if you watched any of their games you could see how the play calling was bad with Tua in the game.

Neither guy is a QB guy so neither will have much influence on Tua, just a bad all around hire as OC. 2 guys operating as Co offensive coordinators and neither will have much input on the QB. What could go wrong?

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I don’t know what DVOA stands for but the Dolphins were not the 12th best offense last year and if you watched any of their games you could see how the play calling was bad with Tua in the game.

Neither guy is a QB guy so neither will have much influence on Tua, just a bad all around hire as OC. 2 guys operating as Co offensive coordinators and neither will have much input on the QB. What could go wrong?

Is it as bad as promoting a TE coach to coordinate Derrick Henry’s offense for the past three years running?

Godsey effectively functioned as Tua’s QB coach throughout the second half, and has extensive experience as both an OC and QBs coach.  And they brought in Charlie Frye as the new dedicated QB coach.  I think those are some solid coaches to surround Tua with and help shape a more dynamic offense.

Edited by BMcP
1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Is it as bad as promoting a TE coach to coordinate Derrick Henry’s offense for the past three years running?

Godsey effectively functioned as Tua’s QB coach throughout the second half, and has extensive experience as both an OC and QBs coach.  And they brought in Charlie Frye as the new dedicated QB coach.  I think those are some solid coaches to surround Tua with and help shape a more dynamic offense.

the Titans hired Arthur Smith to call plays the last 2 seasons, Matt Lafluer was OC before him and came from being the Rams OC the year before. That covers the Titans last 3 years and I would say the situations are vastly different for a number of reasons.

- not many OCs get to inherit a 2,000 yard rushing talent at RB and a top 10 QB.

- Arthur Smith was not being hired following the failures of the previous 2 offensive coordinators

- Smith was not being promoted to to OC with the RBs coach and being asked to mentor a young QB and draw up creative plays that best fits his skill set.  Smith had one of the easiest jobs in the NFL. Run to Henry, play action, run Henry, rinse and repeat. It won’t be that easy in Miami.

- Smith was not splitting OC duties with another coach while still coaching his old skill position players.

that is just a few of the reasons why their situations are different.

Godsey was an atrocious play caller with Houston, he never made any QB that he coached better and he did not make Tua better during the time he coached him last season when he was forced to do that. He has bounced around the NFL due to his patriots connection (bill obrien, Matt Patricia, Brian Flores)  but he has no significant achievements of his own in tutoring anyone to being the best version of themselves. Godsey did not have any interviews for any other NFL teams this season and likely never will. He is a retread and a low level position coach. The fact no other teams look to interview him is a red flag but not as much as his previous coaching record.

Studesville I’m a little more optomistic about but still is lacking in what they need most and that is someone who can incorporate creative playcalling with Tua’a skill set otherwise the top 5 pick could very well have been made in vain. The Miami RBs were pretty good last year so I think Studesville certainly played a part in that but I don’t think he has any experience play calling at any level and do not know how creative he could get with a guy like Tua. As of now he will have to split time coaching RBs and being OC.

Charlie Frye was hired from college and wasn’t all that succesfull there and has never coached in the NFL before, I do like his connection with Tua but that is tenuous at best as to how that will translate to actual game days. 

Godsey was and has been an unequivocal failure as OC and no QB has gotten better under his tutelage

Studesville has never called plays and though he obviously motivates players to play his play calling is an unknown and he will be sharing the OC duties with a guy proven that he is not very good and they will both be sharing the duties in addition to other tasks thus neither will be solely focused on being OC.

Frye is an unknown and was purely hired due to his connection with Tua and has no track record of success as a coach.

I was hoping for something to help take Tua to the next level. Pep Hamilton, Ken Dorsey, Mike Kafka, someone like that would have been ideal, IMO. 

kafka was widely rumored to be OC for KC if Bienemy got hired as a head coach. 

I believe Ken Dorsey was responsible for Josh Allen’s success and had Brian Daboll got a HC job Dorsey would have been their OC and has a history of success with QBs

Pep had the kid of track record with young QBs that I’d have loved to see Tua mature with since he helped tutor Andrew Luck and Justin Herbert 

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 1

the Titans hired Arthur Smith to call plays the last 2 seasons, Matt Lafluer was OC before him and came from being the Rams OC the year before. That covers the Titans last 3 years and I would say the situations are vastly different for a number of reasons.

- not many OCs get to inherit a 2,000 yard rushing talent at RB and a top 10 QB.

- Arthur Smith was not being hired following the failures of the previous 2 offensive coordinators

- Smith was not being promoted to to OC with the RBs coach and being asked to mentor a young QB and draw up creative plays that best fits his skill set.  Smith had one of the easiest jobs in the NFL. Run to Henry, play action, run Henry, rinse and repeat. It won’t be that easy in Miami.

- Smith was not splitting OC duties with another coach while still coaching his old skill position players.

that is just a few of the reasons why their situations are different.

Godsey was an atrocious play caller with Houston, he never made any QB that he coached better and he did not make Tua better during the time he coached him last season when he was forced to do that. He has bounced around the NFL due to his patriots connection (bill obrien, Matt Patricia, Brian Flores)  but he has no significant achievements of his own in tutoring anyone to being the best version of themselves. Godsey did not have any interviews for any other NFL teams this season and likely never will. He is a retread and a low level position coach. The fact no other teams look to interview him is a red flag but not as much as his previous coaching record.

Studesville I’m a little more optomistic about but still is lacking in what they need most and that is someone who can incorporate creative playcalling with Tua’a skill set otherwise the top 5 pick could very well have been made in vain. The Miami RBs were pretty good last year so I think Studesville certainly played a part in that but I don’t think he has any experience play calling at any level and do not know how creative he could get with a guy like Tua. As of now he will have to split time coaching RBs and being OC.

Charlie Frye was hired from college and wasn’t all that succesfull there and has never coached in the NFL before, I do like his connection with Tua but that is tenuous at best as to how that will translate to actual game days. 

Godsey was and has been an unequivocal failure as OC and no QB has gotten better under his tutelage

Studesville has never called plays and though he obviously motivates players to play his play calling is an unknown and he will be sharing the OC duties with a guy proven that he is not very good and they will both be sharing the duties in addition to other tasks thus neither will be solely focused on being OC.

Frye is an unknown and was purely hired due to his connection with Tua and has no track record of success as a coach.

I was hoping for something to help take Tua to the next level. Pep Hamilton, Ken Dorsey, Mike Kafka, someone like that would have been ideal, IMO. 

kafka was widely rumored to be OC for KC if Bienemy got hired as a head coach. 

I believe Ken Dorsey was responsible for Josh Allen’s success and had Brian Daboll got a HC job Dorsey would have been their OC and has a history of success with QBs

Pep had the kid of track record with young QBs that I’d have loved to see Tua mature with since he helped tutor Andrew Luck and Justin Herbert 

By “three years,” I was referring to the fact that, for the third year running, the Titans’ OC will be a promoted coach of tight ends - I wasn’t arguing that there was a close similarity between the two situations/offenses - I guess I thought that was abundantly clear on its face.  I was merely pointing out that “neither guy was a (RB) guy” in the Titans’ case, and that really didn’t/doesn’t seem to present an issue.  

And pointing out that Godsey did have experience coaching QBs - which is a point you seemed to have either glossed over or not been aware of.  If by calling him an “unequivocal failure” you’re referring to his inability to elevate the game of such luminaries of the quarterback position as Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, T.J. Yates, Case Keenum, Brandon Weeden and Brock Osweiler?  Well, I guess you have me there. The man is apparently not a miracle-worker, it turns out.

I’m most surprised by your just writing off Frye as a non-factor - not only was he instrumental in developing the young Tua and has proven chemistry with him, now he’ll be able to focus all his efforts on further developing him at the pro level (rather than have a “non-QB” coach have to divide his time between Tua and his other responsibilities).

Even if you disagree with Miami’s hiring choices, I still don’t see how any of this translates into engraving a tombstone for the Dolphins 2021 offense.

13 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Were getting deshaun

i was excited about tua but he is not the answer, 2020 version of marcus mariota

I hope your getting Deshaun!!!

Signed : DeVante Parker Owner

15 hours ago, BMcP said:

By “three years,” I was referring to the fact that, for the third year running, the Titans’ OC will be a promoted coach of tight ends - I wasn’t arguing that there was a close similarity between the two situations/offenses - I guess I thought that was abundantly clear on its face.  I was merely pointing out that “neither guy was a (RB) guy” in the Titans’ case, and that really didn’t/doesn’t seem to present an issue.  

And pointing out that Godsey did have experience coaching QBs - which is a point you seemed to have either glossed over or not been aware of.  If by calling him an “unequivocal failure” you’re referring to his inability to elevate the game of such luminaries of the quarterback position as Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, T.J. Yates, Case Keenum, Brandon Weeden and Brock Osweiler?  Well, I guess you have me there. The man is apparently not a miracle-worker, it turns out.

I’m most surprised by your just writing off Frye as a non-factor - not only was he instrumental in developing the young Tua and has proven chemistry with him, now he’ll be able to focus all his efforts on further developing him at the pro level (rather than have a “non-QB” coach have to divide his time between Tua and his other responsibilities).

Even if you disagree with Miami’s hiring choices, I still don’t see how any of this translates into engraving a tombstone for the Dolphins 2021 offense.

I didn’t gloss over the fact that Godsey has coached QBs and called plays on offense I said that he has been atrocious at play calling and that he didn’t make any QB he coached the best version of themselves so no, he is not a miracle worker and in fact is pretty bland as far as coaching goes. Pretty evident since he has never even been interviewed for another OC position since he was fired from Houston 4 years ago. 

I am cautiously optimistic about Frye but as I mentioned earlier he has no nfl coaching experience. Frye was not instrumental in helping to develop Tua, he was his coach at an elite 11 7 on 7 QB camp. Instrumental in helping develop Tua would be his father, Steve Sarkisian, Nick Saban, Trent Dilfer. I’m sure Tua had a decent connection with Frye that may help some but he wasn’t instrumental in helping develop the “young Tua”.

even if you disagree there is no glossing over the fact that Miami did not bring in anyone with any succesfull nfl offensive experience to help with an offense that needs help. They opted against several guys who have tutored succesfull young QBs in the NFL to mvp caliber seasons for a guy who has never coached in the NFL before.

Maybe you can’t see how this spells doom for the Miami offense in 2021 but I think anyone who watched the dolphins play last year was hoping for something different from the offense.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I didn’t gloss over the fact that Godsey has coached QBs and called plays on offense I said that he has been atrocious at play calling and that he didn’t make any QB he coached the best version of themselves so no, he is not a miracle worker and in fact is pretty bland as far as coaching goes. Pretty evident since he has never even been interviewed for another OC position since he was fired from Houston 4 years ago. 

I am cautiously optimistic about Frye but as I mentioned earlier he has no nfl coaching experience. Frye was not instrumental in helping to develop Tua, he was his coach at an elite 11 7 on 7 QB camp. Instrumental in helping develop Tua would be his father, Steve Sarkisian, Nick Saban, Trent Dilfer. I’m sure Tua had a decent connection with Frye that may help some but he wasn’t instrumental in helping develop the “young Tua”.

even if you disagree there is no glossing over the fact that Miami did not bring in anyone with any succesfull nfl offensive experience to help with an offense that needs help. They opted against several guys who have tutored succesfull young QBs in the NFL to mvp caliber seasons for a guy who has never coached in the NFL before.

Maybe you can’t see how this spells doom for the Miami offense in 2021 but I think anyone who watched the dolphins play last year was hoping for something different from the offense.

Ok - you wrote Godsey “wasn’t a QBs guy,” which I took to mean that you didn’t realize he had served as a QB coach at both the college level and for two different NFL teams prior to joining the Dolphins - my mistake.  Miami chose to promote him this year following a season in which the Dolphins went from a mediocre 19.5 PPG to a respectable 25.2.  And following his “firing,” he was among the leading candidates to be interviewed for the then-vacant OC position at some school known as Alabama - ironically, BOB’s new home, and I hear their HC knows a thing or two about winning football.  I’m sorry, I can’t fault him for not doing more with that motley crew of never-was’es at Houston.

I have to disagree with you on Frye - if coaching him up to the Elite 11 MVP doesn’t sound “instrumental” enough to you, I can understand your point of view - but there’s no doubt this hire was made with that past fruitful connection in mind.  I also have more faith than you that Frye’s years of experience as both an OC and QB coach at the college level will allow for a smooth transition to a position-coach role in the pros.

While there were certainly other quality options available to fill these coaching positions, the Dolphins seem more interested in providing their young signal-caller with continuity, an oft-under-appreciated benefit for players just breaking into the league and trying to establish their footing.  We haven’t even seen what these three coaches are capable of yet - so I’d advise pumping the brakes on the gloom-and-doom for just a bit until we do.

21 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Labeling Tua (or any rookie) as "overmatched " and "inept" while implying he's already a bust after his rookie year and a shortened offseason...Classic.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 2

Stephen Ross loves outside-the-box thinking and in that regard the reported naming by coach Brian Flores of co-coordinators to run the offense could delight the Miami Dolphins owner because it’s, well, unconventional.

The move is so different that no championship team since the NFL merger has thought of it before.

For example, the Super Bowl will be played Sunday. And neither the Kansas City Chiefs nor the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, both averaging 30 points per game in the postseason, has co-coordinators running its offense.

There have been 54 previous Super Bowl champions, and none of those teams thought of having co-coordinators running the offense.

So, yes, this is some really new stuff.

Some championship teams have actually gone in a completely opposite direction to where the Dolphins are headed. Instead of two offensive coordinators, some of the NFL’s great teams had no offensive coordinators by title, especially the teams in the 1960s and 70s. Many of those teams had their quarterback calling his own plays on game day.

Other championship teams went without a named offensive coordinator because the head coach was the de facto offensive coordinator — such as Bill Walsh with the San Francisco 49ers.

Walsh, of course, was suited to call the 49ers offense because the West Coast offense was his brainchild.

It’s uncertain whether Dolphins co-coordinators Eric Studesville and George Godsey are going to combine on an offense that will change the course of the NFL for decades to come.

More likely the duo will run an offense that will seem to the naked eye to closely resemble some of Chan Gailey’s 2020 offense with perhaps more run-pass option, more motion, and not as many weirdly timed gadget plays. The assumption is quarterback Tua Tagovailoa would benefit from RPO use and not having to learn a completely new offense.

Studesville and Godsey are expected to split the running game and passing game coordinating duties, with Studesville probably attending to the running game, and Godsey probably handling the passing game.

Studesville is expert and experienced at coordinating the run game and did that for Adam Gase when the former Dolphins coach hired the assistant in 2018. Studesville had those duties taken from him when Flores kept him on staff in 2019, but it makes sense to correct that error now.

Godsey has been an NFL offensive coordinator before, in 2015-16 for the Houston Texans, so don’t be surprised if he integrates some of former Houston coach Bill O’Brien’s work into the Miami offense.

The Dolphins leaked news of their atypical co-coordinator setup to the NFL Network and ESPN at precisely 11:58 on Tuesday morning, but the team didn’t deem the move immediately worthy of an official release.

So it’s unclear whether Godsey or Studesville will call the plays on game days. It’s unclear what happens if the Godsey-Studesville collaboration hits a snag of disagreement as to how to attack an opponent.

Like, who wins the debate?

It’s also unclear which one will shoulder the most responsibility for developing Tagovailoa.

Another interesting part of this dynamic is how much voice on the new offense Flores will give new quarterback coach Charlie Frye. I mean, if two offensive coordinators are better than one, then three might be better than two.

Frye was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Central Michigan the past two years. He spent five seasons playing in the NFL, but this is his first NFL coaching job.

Studesville and Godsey and perhaps Frye and obviously Flores will try to breathe life into an offense that finished 15th in the NFL with 404 points in 2020.

And my reaction to all this is what is Flores thinking?

Look, I understand he had two in-house candidates he deemed worthy of one job. I get that he wanted to reward both.

But multiple cooks concocting one stew sounds like a terrible idea. It’s bad like having two quarterbacks, with one starting and the other trying to come to the rescue if the starter struggles.

And it sounds like Flores punted on making the hard call of picking one coach over the other.

If Flores wanted to reward both assistants he could have easily promoted Studesville to assistant head coach/run game coordinator/running backs coach and promoted Godsey to offensive coordinator.

Or he could have done some other iteration of the same thing — like making Studesville the offensive coordinator and Godsey the assistant head coach/pass game coordinator/playcaller.

It’s just titles, people. everyone still would have gotten a raise.

And either way would have put both longtime assistants on a path to getting head coach interviews if the Miami offense succeeds.

Normally this stuff matters not one iota to me. A head coach has the right to construct his staff any way he wishes, and if he’s going to do odd stuff then, that’s his prerogative and who are we to question it?

The problem is Flores is effectively working on, like, his second or third staff and the turnover and the coach’s hiring decisions have become a curiosity.

Flores has earned the benefit of the doubt on his coaching decisions because many of them have worked his first two seasons on the job. But he has lost the benefit of the doubt on his coach hiring decisions because so many have failed his first two seasons on the job.

For example: Gailey was hired to come out of retirement at age 67 to mentor a rookie first-round-pick quarterback. How could Flores believe that dynamic was built to last?

This latest decision? It marks the third time in three years Flores fills the offensive coordinator job.

He has filled the offensive line coach job four times.

Frye is the fourth quarterbacks coach Flores hires in three years and that includes Jim Caldwell, who left suddenly before the 2019 season because of an illness and so far has shown no desire to return even after his recovery.

That’s a lot of turnover for a team that isn’t graduating assistants to promotions around the league. And this latest co-coordinators idea is just, well, strange.

https://news.yahoo.com/miami-dolphins-co-coordinators-run-050000515.html

If Salguero is wondering what Flores is thinking, why doesn’t he just ask him?  He does cover the team, right?

Seems to me like he might’ve decided that switching coaches every year isn’t necessarily the best idea, particularly with Tua now ensconced as the full-time starter - and that he has two qualified coaches in-house who both deserve a larger role in deciding how to direct the future of this offense.  It’s not as if other teams don’t already do essentially the same thing as the Dolphins, ignoring actual titles.

14 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Were getting deshaun

i was excited about tua but he is not the answer, 2020 version of marcus mariota

Not too sure about that. It sounds like Miami is committed to building around Tua.

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

If Salguero is wondering what Flores is thinking, why doesn’t he just ask him?  He does cover the team, right?

Seems to me like he might’ve decided that switching coaches every year isn’t necessarily the best idea, particularly with Tua now ensconced as the full-time starter - and that he has two qualified coaches in-house who both deserve a larger role in deciding how to direct the future of this offense.  It’s not as if other teams don’t already do essentially the same thing as the Dolphins, ignoring actual titles.

calling into question the sincerity or questioning the tactics of Miami’s #1 sports columnist?

Sounds very DerrickHenrysCleats’esque.

seems to me Salguero did a good job of reiterating what I have said previously. 

it is worth noting that Brian Flores is not switching OCs every year because they are being hired away. He has either fired them or they have retired. His hires on the offensive side of the ball have been questionable at best. 

Id hope that every coach in the NFL knows that changing assistant coaches every year isn’t necessarily the best idea but Flores keeps putting himself in these positions by hiring guys not best suited for the job.

3 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Labeling Tua (or any rookie) as "overmatched " and "inept" while implying he's already a bust after his rookie year and a shortened offseason...Classic.

The same rookie year and shortened offseason that literally every other rookie had to deal with? And he even got to sit and absorb longer than others before he was thrown into the fire. Miss me with that weak old excuse. 

30 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

The same rookie year and shortened offseason that literally every other rookie had to deal with? And he even got to sit and absorb longer than others before he was thrown into the fire. Miss me with that weak old excuse. 

tua was recovering from a bad hip injury.

if Burrow comes back from his ACL surgery and recovery and struggles will he also be a bum?

btw, Tua has more wins as a starring QB than burrow or herbert

tua was recovering from a bad hip injury.

if Burrow comes back from his ACL surgery and recovery and struggles will he also be a bum?

btw, Tua has more wins as a starring QB than burrow or herbert

No, he’s already demonstrated he belongs. And Jimmy G has a good record as a starter,  he I doubt anyone is confusing him with an elite QB. 

12 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

No, he’s already demonstrated he belongs. And Jimmy G has a good record as a starter,  he I doubt anyone is confusing him with an elite QB. 

the point is that not every QBs path is the same for success. Tua came off a devastating hip injury and so as a rookie he was more recovering than he was preparing to be a starter and his situation was different in Miami than Burrow in Cincy. Burrow had a Cinderella season while Tua got hurt and needed to recover, he went to a great situation with lots of passing but not very many wins. Awesome for fantasy and bad for real life football until Burrow suffered his own devastating injury.

you say Burrow proved he belonged in 8 games? Robert Griffin the III won OROY his first year 🤔

You are awful quick to call Tua a bust and Burrow a success based off such a small sample size.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

calling into question the sincerity or questioning the tactics of Miami’s #1 sports columnist?

Sounds very DerrickHenrysCleats’esque.

seems to me Salguero did a good job of reiterating what I have said previously. 

it is worth noting that Brian Flores is not switching OCs every year because they are being hired away. He has either fired them or they have retired. His hires on the offensive side of the ball have been questionable at best. 

Id hope that every coach in the NFL knows that changing assistant coaches every year isn’t necessarily the best idea but Flores keeps putting himself in these positions by hiring guys not best suited for the job.

Ha!  No, I like Armando - have for years.  Maybe he just hasn’t had an opportunity yet to ask Flores about his thought process.  But I’ll be on the lookout for Brian’s answer once he gives it.

As for the O’Shea firing after 2019, I have to think they didn’t have much of a choice but to move on after the Fins finished with the sixth-worst offense in the league that year. As for Gailey, it sounds like his abrupt decision to resign took everyone by surprise, including Flores - he didn’t hire Chan with any expectation that he’d call it quits after one season and expected him to remain aboard.

In any case, one hire that didn’t pan out and one surprise resignation doesn’t amount to a years-long pattern of poor decision-making by Flores, as you seem to be making it out to be.  Credit Flores for trying to maintain continuity for Tua to the fullest extent of his ability thus far.

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

Ok - you wrote Godsey “wasn’t a QBs guy,” which I took to mean that you didn’t realize he had served as a QB coach at both the college level and for two different NFL teams prior to joining the Dolphins - my mistake.  

- No, it is not that I didn’t realize that he had served as a QB coach at both the college level and for 2 NFL teams prior to joining the Dolphins it was more because he has never elevated anyone’s play as a QBs coach or offensive coordinator at either the college or the two pro levels he was lucky enough to get jobs at. 

Miami chose to promote him this year following a season in which the Dolphins went from a mediocre 19.5 PPG to a respectable 25.2.  And following his “firing,” he was among the leading candidates to be interviewed for the then-vacant OC position at some school known as Alabama - ironically, BOB’s new home, and I hear their HC knows a thing or two about winning football.  

-Miami might have increased their points per game from the year before but 25.2 isn’t a lot to brag about and still does not tell the whole story. Where the majority of that scoring came with Chan Gailey coaching his buddy Ryan Fitzpatrick, Gailey has coached Fitz on I think 3 different NFL teams and there was an obvious comfort level between those 2 that accounts for the increase in points per game from O’Shea to Gailey but I hardly call that a success and the offense noticeably regressed when Tua was put in and Gailey didn’t have his security blanket Ryan Fitzpatrick to fall back on. 

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

I have to disagree with you on Frye - if coaching him up to the Elite 11 MVP doesn’t sound “instrumental” enough to you, I can understand your point of view - but there’s no doubt this hire was made with that past fruitful connection in mind.  I also have more faith than you that Frye’s years of experience as both an OC and QB coach at the college level will allow for a smooth transition to a position-coach role in the pros.

OK, that’s an opinion and could be true, I certainly hope that it is. I think they brought in Frye due to his connection with Tua, i do think they know and are familiar with each other but you said “instrumental” in the cultivating of young Tua and a guy that coached him at a couple of elite 11 competitions. I considered people who had more interactions with Tua to be more instrumental in his development, like the ones I mentioned earlier. 

I hope Frye is the next great QB whisperer but I don’t think just cause you have a job at a small college as a QBs coach and OC that you will smoothly translate to coaching in the pros. He certainly can but I was hoping for a more established guy for Tua. I actually like the Frye hire, I do think Tua knows him and respects him but was hoping they would pair Tua and Frye with someone like Kafka or Pep Hamilton or Ken Dorsey as OC.

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

While there were certainly other quality options available to fill these coaching positions, the Dolphins seem more interested in providing their young signal-caller with continuity, an oft-under-appreciated benefit for players just breaking into the league and trying to establish their footing.  We haven’t even seen what these three coaches are capable of yet - so I’d advise pumping the brakes on the gloom-and-doom for just a bit until we do.

The gloom and doom stems from repeated failures at hiring an OC and these hires did nothing to dissuade those fears as illustrated by the article by Armando Salguero who said and I’m paraphrasing “too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth”. While continuity is great it is not the be all end all in being succesfull. When you say we haven’t seen what these 3 coaches are capable of then that is the scary part. We have seen what Godsey is capable of and it is not good. The others we haven’t seen what they are capable of because they have never done it. I thought some more established coaches would have been more appropriate to help elevate Tua to another level.

* I answered some of you questions inside your message I quoted and then somehow it jumped outside of the quoted message so sorry if it looks or reads weird.