NBC Sports Edge Forums

7 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

OK, that’s an opinion and could be true, I certainly hope that it is. I think they brought in Frye due to his connection with Tua, i do think they know and are familiar with each other but you said “instrumental” in the cultivating of young Tua and a guy that coached him at a couple of elite 11 competitions. I considered people who had more interactions with Tua to be more instrumental in his development, like the ones I mentioned earlier. 

I hope Frye is the next great QB whisperer but I don’t think just cause you have a job at a small college as a QBs coach and OC that you will smoothly translate to coaching in the pros. He certainly can but I was hoping for a more established guy for Tua. I actually like the Frye hire, I do think Tua knows him and respects him but was hoping they would pair Tua and Frye with someone like Kafka or Pep Hamilton or Ken Dorsey as OC.

The gloom and doom stems from repeated failures at hiring an OC and these hires did nothing to dissuade those fears as illustrated by the article by Armando Salguero who said and I’m paraphrasing “too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth”. While continuity is great it is not the be all end all in being succesfull. When you say we haven’t seen what these 3 coaches are capable of then that is the scary part. We have seen what Godsey is capable of and it is not good. The others we haven’t seen what they are capable of because they have never done it. I thought some more established coaches would have been more appropriate to help elevate Tua to another level.

* I answered some of you questions inside your message I quoted and then somehow it jumped outside of the quoted message so sorry if it looks or reads weird.

I mean, it’s an opinion piece - I respect Salguero as a journalist, but there’s a reason he’s a reporter and not working in an NFL front office.

And he strikes a very equivocal tone in his piece - they are “just titles” after all, but more than one coach having a say in the offense is inherently a bad thing?  Make up your mind, man.

As I noted above, lots of successful teams choose to use some sort of power-sharing structure for coordinating their offenses in lieu of one individual flying solo - titles may vary.

I respect your opinion, but I for one am going to reserve judgment before writing up this offense’s obit.  It takes time - and some mistakes along the way - to rebuild a franchise that has hit the skids.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

calling into question the sincerity or questioning the tactics of Miami’s #1 sports columnist?

Yes. I'm on record, multiple times, as a regular Miami Herald reader, that Armando Salguero is full of shizzle and that his hot takes are generally nonsense.

I respect Salguero when he transmits the things people whisper directly in his ears; but his projections and predictions are often miles off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Yes. I'm on record, multiple times, as a regular Miami Herald reader, that Armando Salguero is full of shizzle and that his hot takes are generally nonsense.

I respect Salguero when he transmits the things people whisper directly in his ears; but his projections and predictions are often miles off.

that’s fair, I guess he has reason to be skeptical based on the Dolphins offense since Dan Marino retired.

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

the point is that not every QBs path is the same for success. Tua came off a devastating hip injury and so as a rookie he was more recovering than he was preparing to be a starter and his situation was different in Miami than Burrow in Cincy. Burrow had a Cinderella season while Tua got hurt and needed to recover, he went to a great situation with lots of passing but not very many wins. Awesome for fantasy and bad for real life football until Burrow suffered his own devastating injury.

you say Burrow proved he belonged in 8 games? Robert Griffin the III won OROY his first year 🤔

You are awful quick to call Tua a bust and Burrow a success based off such a small sample size.

Bro...Tua showed nothing this season. Maybe he flowers into something, but I just don’t see it. He played three quarters against the Raiders and finally the coaching staff mercifully bench him and Fitz comes in and throws for more yards in one drive than he had in 75% of the game. 

1 hour ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Bro...Tua showed nothing this season. Maybe he flowers into something, but I just don’t see it. He played three quarters against the Raiders and finally the coaching staff mercifully bench him and Fitz comes in and throws for more yards in one drive than he had in 75% of the game. 

bro, Chan Gailey openly admitted that he called different plays for Fitzpatrick than he did for Tua. 

Tua looked damn good against AZ and even against KC so there is plenty of reason for optimism. You can point out his bad games but I can point out bad games from burrow and Herbert as well, it is hardly indicative of what their careers going forward would look like.

you say fitz comes in and throws for more yards in one drive than Tua had the whole game well it helps when Myles gaskin takes a screen pass 60 yards for a TD when Fitzpatrick comes in the game. Context is important.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

and even against KC so

You mean the game Miami’s defense picked Mahomes off 3 times and they still lost haha. We can go back and forth making excuses for him all day. Bottom line, he underwhelmed for a premium draft pick. Maybe a lot of can be blamed on the injury he was recovering from. I lean that he’s just not very good. I guess we’ll see this year. If he’s the starter, that is. 

27 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

You mean the game Miami’s defense picked Mahomes off 3 times and they still lost haha. We can go back and forth making excuses for him all day. Bottom line, he underwhelmed for a premium draft pick. Maybe a lot of can be blamed on the injury he was recovering from. I lean that he’s just not very good. I guess we’ll see this year. If he’s the starter, that is. 

yeah, at some point it’s easier to admit that you are just down on him as a prospect and we all have our opinions.

he looked pretty good leading a game winning TD drive against former #1 overall pick Kyler Murray and the AZ Cardinals.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

he looked pretty good leading a game winning TD drive against former #1 overall pick Kyler Murray and the AZ Cardinals.

What, Murray plays Defense these days? I can only hope he bulked up pretty good before lining up as DE.

;)

Edited by Boudewijn
56 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

naw, it was the cardinals defense that Tua beat.

That was sort of my point. 

Look, we know you like him, and I understand why, even beyond the Alabama connection. You're right if you say the jury's still out; you're right if you say many good QBs had a meh rookie year. 

But his rookie year _was_ meh (whether that was due to the injury, the short preparation or whatever), and he needs to step it up. Can he do that? Let's hope so, I think Football always needs more interesting QBs.

15 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

The same rookie year and shortened offseason that literally every other rookie had to deal with? And he even got to sit and absorb longer than others before he was thrown into the fire. Miss me with that weak old excuse. 

Makes even more sense! Some rookies in professional sports do well right away so that expectation should be spread across ALL rookies. If they aren't Pro-Bowlers/All-Stars in their rookie year, they're inept busts!

Classic.

EDIT: No one is making "excuses" for him. The debate is whether to call a rookie who started part of a season and had a shortened offseason is an inept bust because he wasn't an immediate superstar or if he deserves a bit more time...Apparently, you think if a player isn't Patrick Mahomes or Justin Herbert in their rookie year, they are busts.

Classic AND hilarious.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Apparently, you think if a player isn't Patrick Mahomes or Justin Herbert in their rookie year, they are busts.

Actually, even Patrick Mahomes wasn't Patrick Mahomes in his (true) rookie year ;)

9 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Apparently, you think if a player isn't Patrick Mahomes or Justin Herbert in their rookie year, they are busts.

No, no, now you're just being silly.  I just like quarterbacks who are capable of throwing the ball beyond 7 yards.

9 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Classic AND hilarious.

Thanks bud.  

Report: There’s ‘surprise internally’ about Brian Flores’ decision to name co-offensive coordinators

new report indicates that the unusual decision by the Miami Dolphins to name two coaches as co-offensive coordinators resulted in some surprise among the team’s staff.

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald explored the hiring of George Godsey and Eric Studesville to the offensive coordinator position and noted that some second-guessing of the idea was evident.

“One Dolphins staffer said there was surprise internally about Flores’ decision, and some wonder whether appointing one person would have been the preferable approach,” Jackson wrote.

3 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

unfortunately I do not accept cookies.

is it an interesting blog?

It’s an interesting article from the Herald on how co-coordinators work - doesn’t seem to require accepting cookies in order to read.

51 minutes ago, BMcP said:

It’s an interesting article from the Herald on how co-coordinators work - doesn’t seem to require accepting cookies in order to read.

it would not let me read it unless I accepted cookies.

did it give examples of somewhere it has worked before or cite reasons why they thought it would be successful? 

id be interested to read that.

it would not let me read it unless I accepted cookies.

did it give examples of somewhere it has worked before or cite reasons why they thought it would be successful? 

id be interested to read that.

It did - I’m not sure why it’s forcing cookies on you.  Essentially, the thesis is: while it’s unusual, it has been employed successfully in college and the pros, and it requires a clear delineation of responsibilities and communication.

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Nice article from Brian Flores friend, Cameron Wolfe.

Eventually, it has to be clear who the playcaller is -- at least to the players and coaches.” 

he really nailed that part though. Eventually it will need to be clear who is calling the plays.

I read the whole article and I still don’t see an example of a defensive minded head coach hiring co-offensive coordinators and having any success.