NBC Sports Edge Forums

Clyde Edwards-Helaire 2020 Outlook

Go ahead though, draft CEH in the 2nd round of next years draft and let us all know how it turns out.  I'll eat crow if he returns value, but i think it's a terrible move that can cost someone their season given the other options in that range.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are 64 pages of @Gohawks talking terribly about CMC.  @joshua18 has an extremely selective memory and refuses to acknowledge anything he got wrong, but to make it worse he never shuts up about w

Comments like these are just old and tired. Yeah, it may happen, no one is denying it. It's exhausting seeing the gloom and doom on every page of every player though. If that's all you can ta

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, kdko said:

Hunts season that he actually returned on his draft value was 2017, not 2018 😆

Hunt averaged 20.93 in 18 before his suspension.  He would of finished as a top 6 RB.  Possibly higher as he went on a tear from week 5 after a slow start.

• Like 2

I was down in this guy all year long. But it’s mostly because bell was there. Andy Reid wanted to be mr nice guy and give everybody touches killing the production of CEH. But if bell is gone next year which he should and another year of knowing the offense I would take my chance on him again. Obviously not in the first. But if somehow this guy drops to say pick 24 or later I’d roll the dice again. These are the types of value plays that could win the league. 

Edited by StevenSC400

Forgot about Williams. If either bell or Williams are still there next year definitely do not draft for me unless he drops super late say round 5-6. But if they are gone. Arrow can only go up from this terrible season.

Edited by StevenSC400
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, youngrice said:

Hunt averaged 20.93 in 18 before his suspension.  He would of finished as a top 6 RB.  Possibly higher as he went on a tear from week 5 after a slow start.

You're right.  However, we're still talking about a different offense, and not the one that took them to the Superbowl.  People are acting like CEH wasn't here all season.  Reid has a formula for success right now, and it's not through the RB.  It's firmly on the back of Mahomes and his arm.  Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought Bell back and tried to get him more involved with a full offseason.  CEH is better than Damien Williams, but people were trying to make this same case for him and it never held up.  There's better options at where his ADP will likely end up.

18 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Round 5 or 6?

Lmao

I’m not saying he will drop that far. But if either Williams or bell are still there that caps CEHs upside tremendously. So people can draft him in the second all day long but it won’t be me. I wouldn’t touch him till round 5 at the earliest. If those two are gone like I said in my prior post I’d target him around pick 24 or later.

Edited by StevenSC400

Couple thoughts: What a challenging year for rookies, zero offseason, little preseason, they immediately got thrown into the season and expected to produce.  I think it's incredible people still don't get this.  Factor in dynamic offense like Reid's, yeah, it's going to take players a little time to adjust.  

Mahommes started 1 game his rookie year.  

Kelce started zero and never played before going on IR half way through season.  

Hill started 1 game.  

CEH had up and down season.  Got COVID & hurt, limiting his games.  That said, still did pretty good and stats don't show that he had 4 TD's taken off the board via penalties on his stat sheet.  

He'll have a full season to get acclimated this Spring & Summer, he'll be better for it.  KC is pretty good at developing players as they progress in their careers.  Reid understands he needs a running game even if that is dump off passes out of the backfield acting like run plays.  CEH will be good value in PPR leagues during his career.  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

I’m not saying he will drop that far. But if either Williams or bell are still there that caps CEHs upside tremendously. So people can draft him in the second all day long but it won’t be me. I wouldn’t touch him till round 5 at the earliest. If those two are gone like I said in my prior post I’d target him around pick 24 or later.

Every nfl team carries backup RBs.

14 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Every nfl team carries backup RBs.

But most teams don’t play them as often as Andy Reid does. Did we not learn anything from this year? CEH wasn’t having a monster season but he was doing fine before bell got there. I think he was around #8-10RB or so. Definitely playable in any league. As soon as bell came in everything changed. If you don’t think Andy Reid is going to play Williams or bell next year if they stay then I don’t know what to tell you. 

Edited by StevenSC400

JT has come on after rather blah first couple months of the season.  

That being said, I still like CEH's position.  You know who is calling plays, playing QB and stretching defenses for him next season.

Colts have 38-39 year old Philip Rivers on a 1 year contract this year.  He could come back but I think after he flames out early for the colts in the playoffs, they will realize he will lead them where he's always taken his charger teams... no where necessitating a change under center.  

Odds are Colts could have a brand new QB next year and 8 man boxes against JT.  Saquon, Zeke, etc, won't be effective in those scenarios and neither will Taylor.  

Edited by Highlander72
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

But most teams don’t play them as often as Andy Reid does. Did we not learn anything from this year? CEH wasn’t having a monster season but he was doing fine before bell got there. I think he was around #8-10RB or so. Definitely playable in any league. As soon as bell came in everything changed. If you don’t think Andy Reid is going to play Williams or bell next year if they stay then I don’t know what to tell you. 

CEH was also a rookie with no offseason, training camp, or preseason, so a lot of his development was rushed to begin with. Things will slow down for CEH and he will gain a better command of the offense. I expect they brought in Bell because DWilli opted out. It is my belief DWilli probably comes back and Bell probably leaves. DWilli will have been away from football for almost 2 years by that time so I'd imagine he slides in as a high end compliment to CEH.

I think too many are rushing to judgement on CEH's future on the best offense in football based on a shortened off-season and chaotic rookie season due to covid concerns.

1 hour ago, oban14 said:

Like this post if you took at 1.1 in a dynasty/keeper and now wish you'd taken JT instead ---->

Not me. CEH is a much more adept pass catcher. In ppr I'd rather have CEH. JT has had a few good games but I wouldn't be blind to CEH's long term potential in that offense.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

CEH was also a rookie with no offseason, training camp, or preseason, so a lot of his development was rushed to begin with. Things will slow down for CEH and he will gain a better command of the offense. I expect they brought in Bell because DWilli opted out. It is my belief DWilli probably comes back and Bell probably leaves. DWilli will have been away from football for almost 2 years by that time so I'd imagine he slides in as a high end compliment to CEH.

I think too many are rushing to judgement on CEH's future on the best offense in football based on a shortened off-season and chaotic rookie season due to covid concerns.

I mean that’s not a bad take. But bell also had no offseason, training camp or pre-season. He was also traded to the chiefs mid season and had to learn a whole new system. He basically cut into CEHs workload right away. Then after the whole world saw how bad bell is Reid still kept giving him significant snaps. And then he also kept D Williams in the mix in 2 min drills and some other scenarios. So either Reid is playing mr nice guy and doesn’t want to bench guys or he doesn’t care about the running game at all. He just wants to hand the ball off a handful of times a game to give the WRs a rest and defenses honest and that’s about it. This isn’t an offense that’s going to give their RB a huge workload. That’s why in my opinion it’s important to have as little competition as possible. Bell and Williams gone is a big deal. Again if either come back I can easily see CEH being the “starter”. Then Williams or bell being the “backup” with the other Williams or Thompson sprinkled in. Another disaster scenario that I would want to avoid at all costs. 

Edited by StevenSC400
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Not me. CEH is a much more adept pass catcher. In ppr I'd rather have CEH.

Weird.  You should've drafted Kamara over Henry

1 hour ago, StevenSC400 said:

I mean that’s not a bad take. But bell also had no offseason, training camp or pre-season. He was also traded to the chiefs mid season and had to learn a whole new system. He basically cut into CEHs workload right away. Then after the whole world saw how bad bell is Reid still kept giving him significant snaps. And then he also kept D Williams in the mix in 2 min drills and some other scenarios. So either Reid is playing mr nice guy and doesn’t want to bench guys or he doesn’t care about the running game at all. He just wants to hand the ball off a handful of times a game to give the WRs a rest and defenses honest and that’s about it. This isn’t an offense that’s going to give their RB a huge workload. That’s why in my opinion it’s important to have as little competition as possible. Bell and Williams gone is a big deal. Again if either come back I can easily see CEH being the “starter”. Then Williams or bell being the “backup” with the other Williams or Thompson sprinkled in. Another disaster scenario that I would want to avoid at all costs. 

That certainly is a glass half full perspective.

Most the RBs who were not asked to carry a huge load early in the season came on strong near the end of the season. 

KC was leaning awfully hard on CEH early in the season and some rookies can handle that on a shortened off-season and some can't. Clyde did fine but I think Andy Reid maybe saw him hitting the rookie wall and saw a chance to add Bell. The last couple of years rookie RBs who had light early season loads came on strong near the end of the season, those that have been asked to carry big early season workloads hit a rookie wall faster than other. Miles sanders last year, JonathanTaylor, JK Dobbins, Cam Akers this year all had breakout games later in the season versus playing a lot earlier in the season. I'd venture to say if DWilli wouldn't have opted out that he and clyde would have formed a fairly potent punch at RB with Clyde being fresher come later in the season.

The point I'll make is that I expect Clyde to get better his 2nd year in the league, not worse than he was as a rookie, talent always wins out and even after Clyde's useage slipped upon initially acquiring Bell, edwards-helaire quickly regained the majority of touches in the backfield. Full off-season, training camp, etc... I'm confident CEH wins the starting RB job outright.

If you want to avoid the potential starting RB on the best offense in football then I would be remise if I were to not lobby against that.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
21 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

That certainly is a glass half full perspective.

Most the RBs who were not asked to carry a huge load early in the season came on strong near the end of the season. 

KC was leaning awfully hard on CEH early in the season and some rookies can handle that on a shortened off-season and some can't. Clyde did fine but I think Andy Reid maybe saw him hitting the rookie wall and saw a chance to add Bell. The last couple of years rookie RBs who had light early season loads came on strong near the end of the season, those that have been asked to carry big early season workloads hit a rookie wall faster than other. Miles sanders last year, JonathanTaylor, JK Dobbins, Cam Akers this year all had breakout games later in the season versus playing a lot earlier in the season. I'd venture to say if DWilli wouldn't have opted out that he and clyde would have formed a fairly potent punch at RB with Clyde being fresher come later in the season.

The point I'll make is that I expect Clyde to get better his 2nd year in the league, not worse than he was as a rookie, talent always wins out and even after Clyde's useage slipped upon initially acquiring Bell, edwards-helaire quickly regained the majority of touches in the backfield. Full off-season, training camp, etc... I'm confident CEH wins the starting RB job outright.

If you want to avoid the potential starting RB on the best offense in football then I would be remise if I were to not lobby against that.

I was just curious and looking around online and yahoo has an early 2021 fantasy football rankings list already out. CEH is pick 47. So I’m not the only one that is thinking this way. In my opinion that’s great. Because he becomes an excellent value play at that point. But he’s not a value pick at round 2. 

Edited by StevenSC400
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

I was just curious and looking around online and yahoo has an early 2021 fantasy football rankings list already out. CEH is pick 47. So I’m not the only one that is thinking this way. In my opinion that’s great. Because he becomes an excellent value play at that point. But he’s not a value pick at round 2. 

That certainly is a prediction and a long way away. Lots will happen between now and then. CEH will be back for the postseason this year and we saw what Damien Williams did in the post season for KC so I'd imagine that projected ADP could rise significantly if he comes back and finishes his season strong.

We will see how it shakes out but you have to love Andy Reid's history with fantasy RBs.

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

CEH will be back for the postseason this year and we saw what Damien Williams did in the post season for KC so I'd imagine that projected ADP could rise significantly if he comes back and finishes his season strong.

I like his chances if KC has crappy weather over the next few weeks. He was the focal point in the offense @ BUF week 6 w/a season-high 26 carries because of the sloppy conditions. 

The problem is KC is typically pretty dry this time of the year - just unbearably cold. 

I'm rooting for him - I think he's a great player who could shine if they just take the reigns off. Bad weather is the best hope for that in the playoffs imo.

Edited by SuperJoint
  • Like 1
On 12/31/2020 at 9:20 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

"... The point I'll make is that I expect Clyde to get better his 2nd year in the league, not worse than he was as a rookie, talent always wins out and even after Clyde's usage slipped upon initially acquiring Bell, Edwards-Helaire quickly regained the majority of touches in the backfield. Full off-season, training camp, etc... I'm confident CEH wins the starting RB job outright. If you want to avoid the potential starting RB on the best offense in football then I would be remise if I were to not lobby against that."

I'm currently torn on the guy, to draft him as a low-RB1. As both are or will be 29, I agree that Bell &/or Williams assuming a large share of the volume isn't likely what's planned. That said, if they decide instead to move on from both those guys, their depth suggests that the player(s) they add would be more than just fill. I'm not convinced that Helaire can give them 250+ touches but do agree he could do more with less. It's hard to gauge these 'backs whose measurables teeter on the margin. Is he Jones-Drew or yet another Duke Johnson or Gio Bernard? Rather than throwing money at Bell or Williams, what if the team opts to pursue, say, Marlon Mack?    

Edited by markrc99
4 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

I'm currently torn on the guy, to draft him as a low-RB1. As both are or will be 29, I agree that Bell &/or Williams assuming a large share of the volume isn't likely what's planned. That said, if they decide instead to move on from both those guys, their depth suggests that the player(s) they add would be more than just fill. I'm not convinced that Helaire can give them 250+ touches but do agree he could do more with less. It's hard to gauge these 'backs whose measurables teeter on the margin. Is he Jones-Drew or yet another Duke Johnson or Gio Bernard? Rather than throwing money at Bell or Williams, what if the team opts to pursue, say, Marlon Mack?    

Damien Williams will be returning next year after opting out this year due to Covid.  I'm assuming they would form some type of committee.

2 hours ago, TTo34 said:

"Damien Williams will be returning next year after opting out this year due to Covid.  I'm assuming they would form some type of committee."

Williams is set to return on the final year of his contract. But I've read they'll have 17 unrestricted free agents & releasing him will save over $2M. If they view Helaire as more of a lead 'back in a committee, there could be an argument both for & against Williams. I think despite playing well, the drafting of Helaire, his age & should no extension be forthcoming, all says something. The very least being that his roster spot isn't guaranteed, as availability is paramount. Just speculating, but if they move on for those guys, RB would seemingly become a priority. Helaire has a month or so to cement the deal, perhaps he does.  

On the subject of rookie RB hype, the Shanahans pride themselves not on some RB on the cheap, but rather on infinity & beyond. Always RB via the highest level of obscurity. Finally, Jr. got bit. They select early, they could add a honker!

• Like 1