NBC Sports Edge Forums

Clyde Edwards-Helaire 2020 Outlook

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are 64 pages of @Gohawks talking terribly about CMC.  @joshua18 has an extremely selective memory and refuses to acknowledge anything he got wrong, but to make it worse he never shuts up about w

Comments like these are just old and tired. Yeah, it may happen, no one is denying it. It's exhausting seeing the gloom and doom on every page of every player though. If that's all you can ta

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Evincar said:

But the other 2020 1st picks have an established floor (excluding Drake if you think he's worth a 1st rounder)  to go along with upside. Unless you think he's some elite RB prospect youre essentially drafting solely on his situation. Also there's the whole COVID/lack of off-season and how it will affect rookies.

I mean no offense when I say this, but the "established floors" argument is BS. The floors of Cook, Drake, and Jones could ruin your season. Mixon (bad offensive line / limited passing game usage / projected game script / history of violence off the field) comes with big question marks as well and hasn't produced even 2nd round value over 3 seasons.

To me, Henry is the obvious RB pick after CMC, Barkley, Zeke, and Kamara. After that, CEH, Sanders and Jacobs are the guys. None of them have "established floors", but unless you're playing "not to lose", that's not a good enough reason to avoid them. CEH and Sanders are in big offenses, catch the ball well, and have been talked up by their teams all offseason. CEH probably has the higher TD upside given the success of past RBs next to Mahomes (1.7 TDs per game). I think Jacobs belongs in this tier as well, because of his draft capital and a top offensive line in front of him. Moreover, his path to more passing game usage (coaching) seems to be clearer than Chubb's (Hunt).

If you choose Cook, Drake, or Jones above any of these guys, don't talk to me about floors.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

I mean no offense when I say this, but the "established floors" argument is BS. The floors of Cook, Drake, and Jones could ruin your season. Mixon (bad offensive line / limited passing game usage / projected game script / history of violence off the field) comes with big question marks as well and hasn't produced even 2nd round value over 3 seasons.

To me, Henry is the obvious RB pick after CMC, Barkley, Zeke, and Kamara. After that, CEH, Sanders and Jacobs are the guys. None of them have "established floors", but unless you're playing "not to lose", that's not a good enough reason to avoid them. CEH and Sanders are in big offenses, catch the ball well, and have been talked up by their teams all offseason. CEH probably has the higher TD upside given the success of past RBs next to Mahomes (1.7 TDs per game). I think Jacobs belongs in this tier as well, because of his draft capital and a top offensive line in front of him. Moreover, his path to more passing game usage (coaching) seems to be clearer than Chubb's (Hunt).

If you choose Cook, Drake, or Jones above any of these guys, don't talk to me about floors.

Mixon has produced 1400/7 in the last 2 seasons. Top 10 in RB touches both seasons.History of violence? Thats grasping for straws. By all accounts he's been a model citizen since he entered the league.

Im not even sure why youre bringing up Jacobs and Sanders. I never said anything about avoiding them. I agree with Cook since he's the most injury prone player in the league. I already said I didnt think Drake is a 1st rounder. Jones? No is even drafting him in the 1st.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Mixon has produced 1400/7 in the last 2 seasons. Top 10 in RB touches both seasons.History of violence? Thats grasping for straws. By all accounts he's been a model citizen since he entered the league.

Im not even sure why youre bringing up Jacobs and Sanders. I never said anything about avoiding them. I agree with Cook since he's the most injury prone player in the league. I already said I didnt think Drake is a 1st rounder. Jones? No is even drafting him in the 1st.

Any player you draft in the 1st round will be drafted at his ceiling, but somehow you used that as a criticism of those choosing CEH. You then went the other direction and said your criticism of CEH is because other players have more established floors, which is BS. So I compared CEH to your other RB options.

Drake has a top ranked PPR value on fantasypros at #3. Sanders at #2. Jacobs at #5. Mixon at #6. Chubb at #7. Jones at #8. These guys are absolutely in play in the 1st round.

If you like Mixon, that's fine, but don't pretend he doesn't come with major question marks on and off the field. Guys who hit women with a closed fist less than 30 seconds after walking into a restaurant are guys who can't control their emotions. Where there's smoke there's fire, and the fact that there were reports of a similar incident with a girl in high school further prove my point. Sure, he may not be out of his mind crazy like AB, but 3 seemingly clean years doesn't change his history, and despite being a multi-millionaire, there's no way you'd be comfortable with him dating your sister or daughter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Evincar said:

Ehh I think the history of violence is definitely not “grasping at straws”. He’s one off the field incident away from probably never playing again cuss of this

And I kinda think the floor argument is silly too but I look at fantasy like “who do I think will score the most points” and not like “who will not score the least” but to each is their own

gotta risk it for the biscuit. 

38 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Ehh I think the history of violence is definitely not “grasping at straws”. He’s one off the field incident away from probably never playing again cuss of this.

For someone like Tyreek Hill who has had off the field issues in both college and NFL, its a definite concern to not draft him. Is anyone going to not draft Mixon because of what he did in college? People try to predict injuries but we cant predict suspensions. Btw The high school "incident" was a false accusation. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/high-school-allegation-against-joe-mixon-was-recanted/

38 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

And I kinda think the floor argument is silly too but I look at fantasy like “who do I think will score the most points” and not like “who will not score the least” but to each is their own

gotta risk it for the biscuit. 

But every player in the 1st round is talented and has upside so its all relative. Why not look at floor and asses risk? 

I think drafting CEH as high as 5-7 is kind of crazy.

Edited by Evincar

For someone like Tyreek Hill who has had off the field issues in both college and NFL, its a definite concern to not draft him. Is anyone going to not draft Mixon because of what he did in college? People try to predict injuries but we cant predict suspensions. Btw The high school "incident" was a false accusation. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/high-school-allegation-against-joe-mixon-was-recanted/

I thought that Tyreek hills pro issues were all fake accusations as well. I know the lady even spliced together audio tape to make him sound worse but I forget most of the details so please no one tear me apart for defending him lol..  But that’s a great example because hills career was almost over. Mixon is in that same boat and it could be some ex GF jealous of him and just trying to ruin his life like Zeke’s I just think it should be thought of when looking at a players floor cuss of josh Jacobs gets a DUI it’s probably 3-4 games if Mixon gets one it might be the season. 

But every player in the 1st round is talented and has upside so its all relative. Why not look at floor and asses risk? 

I think drafting CEH as high as 5-7 is kind of crazy.

Well They do all have talent but I still don’t see some of them having top 3-5 RB range talent. Which is what I’m taking stabs at. You however seem to be taking the safe points and least likely to bust. Both win titles which is why which is why I said “to each is their own” I’ve just had much more success my way. 

CEH just happens to be the perfect example. You see a guy who is unknown and while he can be elite his floor could be 700 rushing yards 200 receiving and in a full RBBC so you wanna take mile sanders or drake or whomever 

while I know that every other back dominates for Andy Reid even career scrubs like DWill look like stars. And I know that since mahomes has been the starter in KC the RBs have averaged 1.7 TDs a game and I think “yea he could def have 1800 yards and 18 TDs this year with 50 receptions and he’s going to be there for me at the 6th pick?” And I’ll admit miles sanders or drake or kamara have a shot at a stat line like that too. I just think it is much less likely. And I’ll also admit that sanders and kamara and Mixon have much higher floors. But no risk it, no biscuit

Edited by Stonej14
Home

MAIN NAVIGATION

PREMIUM NAVIGATION

SECONDARY NAVIGATION

flag-logo-premium-3-x%402x.png

ALL NEW SUBSCRIPTION PACKAGES AVAILABLE

Starting as low as $3.99/moLEARN MORE

PLAYER NEWS

• Chiefs GM Brett Veach said Clyde Edwards-Helaire is "on pace to have a big year, to be our primary ballcarrier."

NBC Sports' Peter King spent the week visiting Kansas City and came away very bullish on Edwards-Helaire's fantasy outlook saying, "Draft him in the first round of your fantasy draft. Believe me, you’ll thank me for that tip on the LSU rookie." He notes that the Chiefs have been scheming him touches during scrimmages and that the rookie "could not have been much more impressive in the two practices I saw." Many well-connected national media members have been dropping random CEH praise on Twitter and this report just piles onto that. The fantasy community has adjusted CEH from a third-round pick to a first-round pick following Damien Williams' decision to opt out, so if you're buying the hype, you'll likely have to spend a top-8 pick to draft Edwards-Helaire at this point. It goes without saying that his upside is enormous. The argument surrounds his floor.

It's good to see the GM and Peter King saying what I've been telling y'all all along.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Any player you draft in the 1st round will be drafted at his ceiling, but somehow you used that as a criticism of those choosing CEH. You then went the other direction and said your criticism of CEH is because other players have more established floors, which is BS. So I compared CEH to your other RB options.

Drake has a top ranked PPR value on fantasypros at #3. Sanders at #2. Jacobs at #5. Mixon at #6. Chubb at #7. Jones at #8. These guys are absolutely in play in the 1st round.

If you like Mixon, that's fine, but don't pretend he doesn't come with major question marks on and off the field. Guys who hit women with a closed fist less than 30 seconds after walking into a restaurant are guys who can't control their emotions. Where there's smoke there's fire, and the fact that there were reports of a similar incident with a girl in high school further prove my point. Sure, he may not be out of his mind crazy like AB, but 3 seemingly clean years doesn't change his history, and despite being a multi-millionaire, there's no way you'd be comfortable with him dating your sister or daughter.

Yeah he be pounding them doggy

13 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Yeah he be pounding them doggy

This dude has a chance to finish as the overall RB1, ahead of CMC and Saquon. Not saying it's going to happen, but there's a clear path for him to do so, and it would not surprise me at all.

Anyone drafting Dalvin Cook over CEH is nuts.

Edited by PisEdiRin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

So in long term non-ppr keeper leagues with the top players off the board already, and where you have to look beyond just this upcoming season...Clyde Edwards should be drafted #1 overall, right? 

Only other contender worthy of #1 pick I see is Indy's rookie RB Jonathan Taylor.  Taylor has Marlon Mack to contend with, but he's faster and bigger than CEH, and plays behind the best O-Line in football. Taylor could take over the job this year and be a workhorse next year as well.  The Colts are probably going to suck though and I can't even remember when they produced stud RB.

If Damien Williams comes back next year, he could threaten CEH's touches, but CEH could also cement the job by then.  Plus...you play to win.  YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME...this year, and CEH is looking like a workhorse THIS year and has the best RB situation you could ask for.  He's smaller and slower than Taylor, but he's getting Brian Westbrook comparisons. 

CEH over Jonathan Taylor in keeper leagues, right??

34 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

This dude has a chance to finish as the overall RB1, ahead of CMC and Saquon. Not saying it's going to happen, but there's a clear path for him to do so, and it would not surprise me at all.

Lmfao people are wayyyyy too high on a rookie rb with limited training camp due to covid. Only way he beats cmc and saq if they have season ending injuries or Dalvin for that matter.

15 minutes ago, straightfire118 said:

Lmfao people are wayyyyy too high on a rookie rb with limited training camp due to covid. Only way he beats cmc and saq if they have season ending injuries or Dalvin for that matter.

CEH will certainly outscore Cook. CEH >>>>>>> Cook. Cook has had a nice little 8-game stretch in 3 years. He's not the type to string together back2back strong seasons, he's a "Coin Flip Player". Drafting a Dalvin Cook in Round 1 is how you Lose your league on Draft Day. You probably thought David Johnson was worthy of a Top 4 pick in 2018.

‐------------

The Chiefs run a college-style Air Raid Offense that is extremely easy for a stud Rookie RB to transition immediately.

CEH will go nuts as the Workhorse RB in an offense where Defenses are always in their Dime package geared to stop the Pass.

CEH = Top 5 RB with Overall RB1 Upside.

Edited by PisEdiRin
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

CEH will certainly outscore Cook. CEH >>>>>>> Cook. Cook has had a nice little 8-game stretch in 3 years. He's not the type to string together back2back strong seasons, he's a "Coin Flip Player". Drafting a Dalvin Cook in Round 1 is how you Lose your league on Draft Day. You probably thought David Johnson was worthy of a Top 4 pick in 2018.

‐------------

The Chiefs run a college-style Air Raid Offense that is extremely easy for a stud Rookie RB to transition immediately.

CEH will go nuts as the Workhorse RB in an offense where Defenses are always in their Dime package geared to stop the Pass.

CEH = Top 5 RB with Overall RB1 Upside.

if i were given odds on Cook or CEH as far as ppr goes, i'd bang the mutha flippin' ranch on the rook outscoring the vet 

case. closed. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PisEdiRin said:

Agree.  At this point I'm hoping he's there at #5 for me.  Monster year incoming.  Will be a top 3 pick for many years after this.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, SpartanEric said:

Agree.  At this point I'm hoping he's there at #5 for me.  Monster year incoming.  Will be a top 3 pick for many years after this.  

#5 is defensible and he's definitely ahead of Cook in my eyes. I would avoid Cook if I could. I still think #7 is where he is appropriately valued, but if you want him and you have the #5 pick it would be understandable.

Holy ****.  Andy Reid thinks CEH is better than Brian Westbrook:

“About three or four weeks ago, when we were working through the final wave of this process – and at that point I usually give Coach a couple guys to take a peek at – I told him that once he finishes looking at him, he’ll remind him of Brian Westbrook,” Veach said of Edwards-Helaire, via the team’s official site, after the pick was made. “Coach called me back later and said he was better than Brian. That’s no slight to Brian either, because I got to play against him at the University of Delaware and he was a Ring of Fame player in Philadelphia.

“Edwards-Helaire is just a unique talent. He’s explosive, he has the ability to make something out of nothing and that’s what you look at with these running backs. This guy can consistently make plays when there is really nothing to be made, and now throwing him in there with [wide receiver] Tyreek Hill, [wide receiver] Sammy Watkins, [tight end] Travis Kelce, [wide receiver Mecole Hardman] and [tailback] Damien Williams, we think it’ll be really exciting.”

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/04/29/how-clyde-edwards-helaire-completes-and-perfects-the-chiefs-offense/

Classis risk/reward scenario and a tough choice if you have a middle pick.

Smart move would be to take a "safe", stud WR like MT/Adams/Julio but if you're looking to make a splash, draft CEH.

5 hours ago, MBarbarian said:

So in long term non-ppr keeper leagues with the top players off the board already, and where you have to look beyond just this upcoming season...Clyde Edwards should be drafted #1 overall, right? 

Only other contender worthy of #1 pick I see is Indy's rookie RB Jonathan Taylor.  Taylor has Marlon Mack to contend with, but he's faster and bigger than CEH, and plays behind the best O-Line in football. Taylor could take over the job this year and be a workhorse next year as well.  The Colts are probably going to suck though and I can't even remember when they produced stud RB.

If Damien Williams comes back next year, he could threaten CEH's touches, but CEH could also cement the job by then.  Plus...you play to win.  YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME...this year, and CEH is looking like a workhorse THIS year and has the best RB situation you could ask for.  He's smaller and slower than Taylor, but he's getting Brian Westbrook comparisons. 

CEH over Jonathan Taylor in keeper leagues, right??

They are in a tier by themselves no matter the scoring system but in PPR CEH is the easy pick, in standard I would still take CEH but it wouldn’t be earth shattering to me if you took Taylor over CEH. I believe Taylor has a much higher all-pro type ceiling where CEH may never get there.

As for Williams and next year, if CEH proves capable of being a lead back he won’t be back next year. Teams are going to go into penny pinching mode next year as the cap is going to drop by 20+ million and cutting a back up RB is an easy way to save money.

Edited by Ddam2013