Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Clyde Edwards-Helaire 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, yanksman said:

He's had one good game running the ball all year. Since week 1 he has YPC at or below 4.0 every single game. Even journeyman Damien Williams averaged 4.5 YPC on this team. CEH has shown to be either too small or lackluster at the goalline. They have ZERO depth at RB. If CEH gets hurt, they are rolling out Darrel Williams, Darwin Thompson, or Dwayne Washington. For a team with Super Bowl aspirations, that's gross. They signed veteran Lesean McCoy last year and flirted with 4net this year. They will only pay league minimum and can easily cut him if he causes any problems. Take off your fantasy football rose colored glasses and realize KC needs him more than you think.

He has been fantastic catching passes, and has barely been given an opportunity to run the ball. 

5 games played. Two games he had 20 or more carries. 2 games he had 10 carries. One game he didn't do well with 16 carries, but it was the Ravens who are a top 5 defense. 

He hasn't had any opportunity to prove himself, and everyone sees it. They're not using him how they should be because they just want Mahomes to sling it.

Again, Bell in the backfield does not make them beat the Raiders. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are 64 pages of @Gohawks talking terribly about CMC.  @joshua18 has an extremely selective memory and refuses to acknowledge anything he got wrong, but to make it worse he never shuts up about w

Comments like these are just old and tired. Yeah, it may happen, no one is denying it. It's exhausting seeing the gloom and doom on every page of every player though. If that's all you can ta

Posted Images

Not going to lie... wanted Clyde in the worst way.  I listened to Andy Reid give nothing but praise all off season for the kid but after the first game I looked deeper into him.   He is 5ft7  207 lbs.... he ran a 4.6 40.   First,  I did not realize he was this small.. and second for being so small he is not exactly a burner.   He has a very difficult time at the goal line which hurts him.  If i had Clyde at this point i would pray that they get him more involved in the passing game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, smash10033 said:

Not going to lie... wanted Clyde in the worst way.  I listened to Andy Reid give nothing but praise all off season for the kid but after the first game I looked deeper into him.   He is 5ft7  207 lbs.... he ran a 4.6 40.   First,  I did not realize he was this small.. and second for being so small he is not exactly a burner.   He has a very difficult time at the goal line which hurts him.  If i had Clyde at this point i would pray that they get him more involved in the passing game.  

 

and, ironically enough, the arrival of Bell might just be what increases his passing game involvement - Clyde would slide into the Darrell role of hurry up/2 minute/ketchup - we might actually see better points outta him if he's not used to slam into the line 16 times a game for 50 odd yards. 

crazy?

yep, like a fox. 

i'd rather have this kid on the field when the Chiefs go pedal to the metal, instead of the token off tackle slams to keep defenses "honest".

eff it either way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not concerned (unless they sign Bell). I don't think anyone could sit here and honestly say a Bell signing wouldn't be worrisome. 

I really don't feel like he's been given full opportunity to shine. I think that'll come.

But that said, how bad is this guy if he can't even match a reject from Miami who was a half step above the practice squad? We all heard the Westbrook hype, but I don't think you can dismiss 5'7" 200 soaking wet who couldn't run a sub 4.6. There were definitely some red flags. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very thankful that my team isn't built around CEH.  If he gets tanked, I will survive.  Because, unfortunately, Bell to KC does indeed make sense.  Contenders are always going to be looking for those pieces that will put them over the top.  Signing a guy that was an elite talent not so long ago, basically for free, is exactly that type of move.  I would not be surprised if this happens.

With that said, I'm not sure it would completely tank CEH.  He could turn this offense from a F-350 into a monster truck.  A rising tide lifts all boats, let's not forget.  Maybe CEH has less carries but is more efficient with those he does get, and gets more TDs.  Who knows?  This could shake out a dozen different ways.

This offense is good enough to support multiple RBs.  No, we haven't seen it in the last couple years, but it's likely that's just because the RB stable was filled with certified JAGs.  CEH and Bell are worlds more talented than McCoy, Williams, etc.

We're inching towards the panic button, but I'm certainly not smashing it yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'm not concerned (unless they sign Bell). I don't think anyone could sit here and honestly say a Bell signing wouldn't be worrisome. 

I really don't feel like he's been given full opportunity to shine. I think that'll come.

But that said, how bad is this guy if he can't even match a reject from Miami who was a half step above the practice squad? We all heard the Westbrook hype, but I don't think you can dismiss 5'7" 200 soaking wet who couldn't run a sub 4.6. There were definitely some red flags. 

 

Agree that Bell signing would be an issue.  

Don't agree on everyone with the "red flags".  His combine scores were almost identical to Kareem Hunt, except Clyde had a better vertical. Being tall doesn't mean much at RB and one could argue there are advantages to being smaller.  Barry Sanders was 5'7.  

The KC offense has gotten cute and they have gotten away from running the ball.  This is why they lost to LV.  LV won the line of scrimmage and beat them physically in the trenches.

Also even it being a bad game for KC, CEH did have a TD reception from inside the 10 yard line, which was called back on a Kelce pick play, which didn't even affect the play.  

If that one Rec TD stands and his stat line is 90 yards with a TD, is everyone freaking out here?  Doubt it.  

That said I understand the concern because we drafted him with much higher hopes, and he still needs to prove himself.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SpartanEric said:

 

Agree that Bell signing would be an issue.  

Don't agree on everyone with the "red flags".  His combine scores were almost identical to Kareem Hunt, except Clyde had a better vertical. Being tall doesn't mean much at RB and one could argue there are advantages to being smaller.  Barry Sanders was 5'7.  

The KC offense has gotten cute and they have gotten away from running the ball.  This is why they lost to LV.  LV won the line of scrimmage and beat them physically in the trenches.

Also even it being a bad game for KC, CEH did have a TD reception from inside the 10 yard line, which was called back on a Kelce pick play, which didn't even affect the play.  

If that one Rec TD stands and his stat line is 90 yards with a TD, is everyone freaking out here?  Doubt it.  

That said I understand the concern because we drafted him with much higher hopes, and he still needs to prove himself.  

Not big,  powerful, or fast.  Wasn’t even on the radar before his meteoric rise on a team with a brilliant play caller and #1 overall pick at qb.  
 

many red flags.    They should have gone with Swift if a rb was the call. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Not big,  powerful, or fast.  Wasn’t even on the radar before his meteoric rise on a team with a brilliant play caller and #1 overall pick at qb.  
 

many red flags.    They should have gone with Swift if a rb was the call. 

 

there are 500 million reasons why they went with Clyde ... when 'Homie calls the war room and says "DRAFT THAT KID!!", well ... it's fait accompli

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

 

there are 500 million reasons why they went with Clyde ... when 'Homie calls the war room and says "DRAFT THAT KID!!", well ... it's fait accompli

That’s why players play and GMs/scouts draft 🤷‍♂️ 

 

CEH is a good little player but he’s not the do everything 3 down guy they wanted.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Impreza178 said:

That’s why players play and GMs/scouts draft 🤷‍♂️ 

 

CEH is a good little player but he’s not the do everything 3 down guy they wanted.  

 

i'm not disputing it, prez ... hell, i'm watching it unfold every week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

That’s why players play and GMs/scouts draft 🤷‍♂️ 

 

CEH is a good little player but he’s not the do everything 3 down guy they wanted.  

Fair enough but don't think that's what they wanted out of him. He was drafted and comped to Brian Westbrook. When D-Will opted out fantasy gamers got way ahead of themselves and made this dude a top-5 pick. That's where the disparity in his value comes from. Totally overvalued heading into fantasy drafts this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

That’s why players play and GMs/scouts draft 🤷‍♂️ 

 

CEH is a good little player but he’s not the do everything 3 down guy they wanted.  

 

This is 100% accurate, but it's important to remember that a) development takes time, especially for more complicated offenses... and I'm not saying I know how complicated the KC offense is but I assume its in the upper half and b) development is not linear

Just because he's underwhelmed does not mean there's not a chance he has a monster second half. All it could take is one or two mental switches and boom, he's off.

This is not to minimalize some of the very valid concerns being discussed, either, just some reason for optimism. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

CEH is #12 in my PPR leagues. Anyway, the point is that we’re seeing his floor. People drool over Hunt’s rookie year where he finished #4 RB overall, but forget that he went 10 weeks in a row that year (9 straight games) without scoring a TD. This run by CEH is similar...the TDs are coming. Always bet on an Andy Reid RB1.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, aapox said:

 

This is 100% accurate, but it's important to remember that a) development takes time, especially for more complicated offenses... and I'm not saying I know how complicated the KC offense is but I assume its in the upper half and b) development is not linear

Just because he's underwhelmed does not mean there's not a chance he has a monster second half. All it could take is one or two mental switches and boom, he's off.

This is not to minimalize some of the very valid concerns being discussed, either, just some reason for optimism. 

To what extent has underwhelmed? He is around 6-7 for total yards at running back. He has overall played against above average rush defenses. All of this without a preseason. If had 2 more TD's he would be exactly around 6-7 running back just like his yardage ranking. For a rookie I think he is doing just fine without a preseason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

CEH is #12 in my PPR leagues. Anyway, the point is that we’re seeing his floor. People drool over Hunt’s rookie year where he finished #4 RB overall, but forget that he went 10 weeks in a row that year (9 straight games) without scoring a TD. This run by CEH is similar...the TDs are coming. Always bet on an Andy Reid RB1.

 

except at the point where he went on that streak he already had 6 TDs and 354 yds rushing thru his first three games (didn't score weeks 4-13, week 10 was their bye).

and Alex Smiff at qb, even in that best ever season of his, is a far cry from 'Homie.  

this is #10's show ... case closed. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, peleincubus said:

To what extent has underwhelmed? He is around 6-7 for total yards at running back. He has overall played against above average rush defenses. All of this without a preseason. If had 2 more TD's he would be exactly around 6-7 running back just like his yardage ranking. For a rookie I think he is doing just fine without a preseason. 

 

He's underwhelmed in reading holes/blocks (specifically in the redzone), losing key hurry-up sequences to Darrell (likely due to inexperience), and not breaking many big/explosive plays (likely just who he is?), and, as you said, TDs/big weeks. I'm still 100% on board, though, man. And I agree with your last sentence for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every RB ahead of him in fantasy has at least 3 TD's. CEH is 6th in the league right now in yards from scrimmage per game. If he keeps his current pace (meaning the TD's come and he isn't impacted by Bell or something like that), he'll be fine.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...