NBC Sports Edge Forums

Clyde Edwards-Helaire 2020 Outlook

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are 64 pages of @Gohawks talking terribly about CMC.  @joshua18 has an extremely selective memory and refuses to acknowledge anything he got wrong, but to make it worse he never shuts up about w

Comments like these are just old and tired. Yeah, it may happen, no one is denying it. It's exhausting seeing the gloom and doom on every page of every player though. If that's all you can ta

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, devilfish said:

Same [BS] like Fournette will take over talking... Bell is not the RB he was in 2017...

Everyone thinks he is a lock to get 100 rushing yards, 2td and 5 catches for 50 every game. It hurts CEH don't get me wrong but he isn't behind that line in Pitt. He may end up getting goal line and some catches and thats it. CEH may have to score outside the 15. he can do it.

4 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Everyone thinks he is a lock to get 100 rushing yards, 2td and 5 catches for 50 every game. It hurts CEH don't get me wrong but he isn't behind that line in Pitt. He may end up getting goal line and some catches and thats it. CEH may have to score outside the 15. he can do it.

Can he?

8 hours ago, Benjamin1984 said:

CEH has already flashed more NFL promise then Penny or Michel...plus Trent Richardson in David Wilson's own draft was far more overrated then CEH. Relative to draft position and the way his counterparts in surrounding years have performed Leonard Fournette would be overrated by any measure. He was drafted before Christian McCaffrey. I'm not sure he'll be the best back in his class but I'd be surprised if he didn't at least have a solid career based on what we've seen so far.

I’m talking about fantasy. I thought it was downright ridiculous he was discussed in the top 10

4 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

I’m talking about fantasy. I thought it was downright ridiculous he was discussed in the top 10

Why? Because you knew Bell would end up on the roster? He was used fantastically in game 1 and proved he belonged. Then Reid started getting overly creative in the red zone and squashed his value. He's a first round talent. We expected him to be utilized as Hunt did in KC. But instead we got McCoy usage. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Then Reid started getting overly creative

He did this same **** with rookie Hunt and it was infuriating. From what I recall it took until the playoffs for Hunt to get his early season usage back.

• Like 2

Let's just be civil and not come in here gloating that you knew CEH would be a fantasy bust because there was no way anyone could have predicted that Le'veon Bell would be a free agent 5 games into the season.

Before the season started and Damien decided not to play, the hype was certainly warranted for a first round pick.  The yardage has been pretty decent overall so he's delivered on that aspect.  However, people failed to realize then that since the Chiefs have so many weapons, his TD potential is actually more limited than other backs in the first round so he hasn't met the lofty expectations.

Also, people comparing to Kareem Hunt is kind of unfair.  Most people had drafted Hunt in later rounds since Ware didn't get injured until closer to season started.  There was plenty of room for Hunt to outperform his ADP.  At round 1, there is no room for CEH to outperform unless he was scoring TDs every week.

• Like 3

Everyone talks about the individual player and their current statlines/current situation. The fact is, CEH was hyped as an RB1 in fantasy for two reasons.

1. His talent level. That hasn't gone anywhere. And it will show through for many years to come.

2. The super high powered unstoppable Kansas City Chiefs offense.

There's one problem here, and it's not #1. The line is horrid this year. Any back behind this line is going to do as well or probably even worse than CEH has. That's a result of bad play, and one thing not considered. The opt-outs of LDT and Niang who they had some hope for this year hurt. And now Osmele is hurt as well.

The only rushes behind this line that are really working are misdirection sweeps for WR and Pat taking advantage of open field. And CEH isn't getting those sweeps. 

The short yardage dump offs either are being overlooked by Pat for attempts at longer shots (a huge mistake in my opinion), or the throws have just been horrible for a QB of Pat's caliber.

Saying that CEH isn't likely ending as a high end RB1 this year is definitely fair. Calling him a bust, even with the addition of Bell, definitely is not especially in this year of craziness.

Edited by tschwicht
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, gsw said:

... However, people failed to realize then that since the Chiefs have so many weapons, his TD potential is actually more limited than other backs in the first round so he hasn't met the lofty expectations....

"Too many weapons" is such a crutch argument for a starting RB.  I always cringe when I see it being used... Let's boil this down to prove the point and say you own an average (talent wise) starting RB.  Would you rather that player be on the worst offense in the league with no other meaningful weapons to move the ball (ex. Jets) or an offensive juggernaut with weapons all over the field that can move the ball at will?  The answer to that question will always be the offensive juggernaut b/c with it comes opportunities (yardage opportunities with increase time of possession and obviously scoring opportunities).  

It's valid to point out that no1 could have foreseen that Bell was going to join the Chiefs 5 weeks into the year.  However, the risk/reward of drafting a rookie RB in the first round is typically not going to be there unless you come across a generational talent (ex. Barkley).  Ultimately, it comes down to talent evaluation to justify drafting a rookie RB that high and no1 can convince me that CEH was a generational talent.  If he was, managers wouldn't even be in this predicament b/c there would've been no need for the Chiefs to court Bell.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, tschwicht said:

Everyone talks about the individual player and their current statlines/current situation. The fact is, CEH was hyped as an RB1 in fantasy for two reasons.

1. His talent level. That hasn't gone anywhere. And it will show through for many years to come.

2. The super high powered unstoppable Kansas City Chiefs offense.

There's one problem here, and it's not #1. The line is horrid this year. Any back behind this line is going to do as well or probably even worse than CEH has. That's a result of bad play, and one thing not considered. The opt-outs of LDT and Niang who they had some hope for this year hurt. And now Osmele is hurt as well.

The only rushes behind this line that are really working are misdirection sweeps for WR and Pat taking advantage of open field. And CEH isn't getting those sweeps. 

The short yardage dump offs either are being overlooked by Pat for attempts at longer shots (a huge mistake in my opinion), or the throws have just been horrible for a QB of Pat's caliber.

Saying that CEH isn't likely ending as a high end RB1 this year is definitely fair. Calling him a bust, even with the addition of Bell, definitely is not especially in this year of craziness.

I think conflating bust in real life vs fantasy is the root issue here. CEH is a talented player with a bright future, but if you look at his ADP and who way taken after him he wasn't meeting expectations in terms of fantasy scoring as is. The addition of Bell - I don't care how you frame it or what shakes out - only hurts his fantasy prospects. When its all said and done he's be one of the biggest first round busts in fantasy this year based on ADP.

Edit:
I own each in separate leagues. This is my unbiased take on his situation. 

Edited by PrestigeWW
4 minutes ago, Magman said:

"Too many weapons" is such a crutch argument for a starting RB.  I always cringe when I see it being used... Let's boil this down to prove the point and say you own an average (talent wise) starting RB.  Would you rather that player be on the worst offense in the league with no other meaningful weapons to move the ball (ex. Jets) or an offensive juggernaut with weapons all over the field that can move the ball at will?  The answer to that question will always be the offensive juggernaut b/c with it comes opportunities (yardage opportunities with increase time of possession and obviously scoring opportunities).  

It's valid to point out that no1 could have foreseen that Bell was going to join the Chiefs 5 weeks into the year.  However, the risk/reward of drafting a rookie RB in the first round is typically not going to be there unless you come across a generational talent (ex. Barkley).  Ultimately, it comes down to talent evaluation to justify drafting a rookie RB that high and no1 can convince me that CEH was a generational talent.  If he was, managers wouldn't even be in this predicament b/c there would've been no need for the Chiefs to court Bell.

Never did I say it was a crutch to be on a better offense.  I'm just saying his TD variability is going to be much higher since there are so many more mouths to feed in terms of scoring TDs.  Had Bell not become available, we could have easily seen games where CEH scores multiple TDs and he actually does live up to his first round status.  Now its not a possibility and the people coming in gloating certainly could predict the future couldn't they?

I think the bust comments are coming out from people that perhaps due to the fact that a lot of people that it was crazy that a rookie rb should be taken in the 1st round of a re-draft league. Sure there were plenty of signs that he was set up for success (KC offensive prowess, CEH play style and pedigree, handpicked by Mahomes (allegedly), Super Bowl / CFB champions, etc etc)... How many times has a rook been considered a consensus top 10 pick ADP that you guys can think of? Doesn’t happen very often, due to the fact that even if all arrows are pointing up, stars aligned, there’s still questions because they’ve never done it in the pros, they’re rookies. There’s a sense of unknown. That’s why the first round is usually the  surefire proven guys, the safer bets.

• Like 1