NBC Sports Edge Forums

Joe Burrow 2020 Outlook

40 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I fail to see what age has to do with it. But to keep it short, the reason he was at OhioSt was because the OC wanted him badly, not the HC. But Urban gave in...and then that OC left to go be the HC at Houston. Urban never really was a believer in Burrow, so Burrow stayed buried on the depth chart...hence his transfer to LSU. He got to BR late in the summer and didn't have time to really work with his WRs, and he didn't have a great 2018. But if you look over the last 1/3 of the season, you see him begin to emerge. Over those four games, he completed 67 percent of his passes for 1,166 yards, 10 TD, 1 Int...in just a basic, pro-style offense. And then last year he had arguably the greatest season a college QB has ever had. He never even had a "bad" game...his worst rated game was against Auburn when he completed 76 percent of his passes and threw for 321 but had only 1 TD. 

I frankly don't get your point about age or time. Look at his film...watch him play...watch what he does...look at his intangibles. I'm not one to make bold proclamations, but I'll say that I'll be surprised if Burrow is a bust.

There was absolutely nothing flukish about his 2019 season. But since you think it's a fluke...explain why. What made 2019 a fluke? 

How do you not get my point about age? Are there lots of qbs that come into the league at his age as the #1 pick and had success? Tell me about them.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I say that as a dyed-in-the-wool LSU fan who thinks a statue of Burrow should be built outside of Tiger Stadium and who thinks No9 should be retired at LSU. Lol. In fact, the wallpaper on both my

The guy with 3 rings in the past 5 years laughs at this and burrow is plenty mobile

People don’t even give his rushing ability any credit. Had a friend tell me Tua was the far superior scrambler and runner over Burrow which is just false. Burrow moves in the pocket better than Tua. B

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

I fail to see what age has to do with it. But to keep it short, the reason he was at OhioSt was because the OC wanted him badly, not the HC. But Urban gave in...and then that OC left to go be the HC at Houston. Urban never really was a believer in Burrow, so Burrow stayed buried on the depth chart...hence his transfer to LSU. He got to BR late in the summer and didn't have time to really work with his WRs, and he didn't have a great 2018. But if you look over the last 1/3 of the season, you see him begin to emerge. Over those four games, he completed 67 percent of his passes for 1,166 yards, 10 TD, 1 Int...in just a basic, pro-style offense. And then last year he had arguably the greatest season a college QB has ever had. He never even had a "bad" game...his worst rated game was against Auburn when he completed 76 percent of his passes and threw for 321 but had only 1 TD. 

I frankly don't get your point about age or time. Look at his film...watch him play...watch what he does...look at his intangibles. I'm not one to make bold proclamations, but I'll say that I'll be surprised if Burrow is a bust.

There was absolutely nothing flukish about his 2019 season. But since you think it's a fluke...explain why. What made 2019 a fluke? 

How do you fail to see how age has to do with it? When is the last time a QB his age came into the league at his age and did well?

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

How do you fail to see how age has to do with it? When is the last time a QB his age came into the league at his age and did well?

Rk

Player

Year

Draft

Tm

Lg

G

GS

Cmp

Att

Cmp%

Yds

Andrew Luck

1-1

IND

NFL

Carson Wentz

1-2

PHI

NFL

Baker Mayfield

1-1

CLE

NFL

Dak Prescott

4-135

DAL

NFL

Sam Bradford

1-1

STL

NFL

Matt Ryan

1-3

ATL

NFL

Andy Dalton

2-35

CIN

NFL

Brandon Weeden

1-22

CLE

NFL

Ryan Tannehill

1-8

MIA

NFL

Gardner Minshew

6-178

JAX

NFL

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Rk

Player

Year

Draft

Tm

Lg

G

GS

Cmp

Att

Cmp%

Yds

Andrew Luck

1-1

IND

NFL

Carson Wentz

1-2

PHI

NFL

Baker Mayfield

1-1

CLE

NFL

Dak Prescott

4-135

DAL

NFL

Sam Bradford

1-1

STL

NFL

Matt Ryan

1-3

ATL

NFL

Andy Dalton

2-35

CIN

NFL

Brandon Weeden

1-22

CLE

NFL

Ryan Tannehill

1-8

MIA

NFL

Gardner Minshew

6-178

JAX

NFL

I dunno what you are trying to prove?

Ok honest question here: Why did nobody have a problem with Kitna starting over #1 overall pick Carson Palmer in 2003, but people cant fathom Dalton starting over Burrow. Kitna isnt better than Dalton, and nobody knows if Burrow is better than Palmer.

Give me a real answer and reason here. Burrow being better than Palmer is not a real answer because it is unknown. 

Rookie qb’s starting year 1 being a trend isnt a real answer.

the media and fans being more sensationalized isnt a real answer. Nor is it a good thing.

If the bengals keep dalton on the roster, and they battle it out in training camp and preseason to see who the better starter is, and dalton wins it, are people going to revolt? The bengals arent even in a position to win right now. 

Im just saying nobody freaked out in 03, so if dalton beats out burrow, I really dont want to see fans acting foolish

2 minutes ago, Chippa said:

Ok honest question here: Why did nobody have a problem with Kitna starting over #1 overall pick Carson Palmer in 2003, but people cant fathom Dalton starting over Burrow. Kitna isnt better than Dalton, and nobody knows if Burrow is better than Palmer.

Give me a real answer and reason here. Burrow being better than Palmer is not a real answer because it is unknown. 

the media and fans being more sensationalized isnt a real answer. Nor is it a good thing.

If the bengals keep dalton on the roster, and they battle it out in training camp and preseason to see who the better starter is, and dalton wins it, are people going to revolt? The bengals arent even in a position to win right now. 

Im just saying nobody freaked out in 03, so if dalton beats out burrow, I really dont want to see fans acting foolish

This is literally the first I've heard that it's an issue.

4 of those players above were also 1st overall picks and Wentz was 2nd and they have had some very nice fantasy seasons and even 1 MVP and 1.5 (give Wentz a .5) Super Bowl appearances. I was originally out on him for foolish age reasons (thinking to self this man should have a MVP under his belt like Mahomes and entering his superbowl winning season but Mahomes is a rare talent). I pick 7th and 8th in a dynasty rookie draft and was targetting a top 5 RB, Ceedee or Jeudy but pick 8 was a wildcard but shall go with Joe assuming he falls and if not 2 of the top 7 prospects will suffice.

14 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

So because he was a 5th year senior, he'll be a bust? Got it. Lol! 

11 hours ago, Chippa said:

This seems like making a mountain out of a mole hill..except, I didn't know there as a mole hill. 

On 4/25/2020 at 9:22 PM, Rush2112 said:

He didn't look all that thrilled when he got drafted by Cincy. 

Burrow's QB coach is Jordan Palmer, who's obviously Carson's brother. They both played in Cincinnati and both know first hand, and I'm sorry to Bengals fans, how bad the organization is. Not to mention that Burrow didn't really do a whole lot to dispel the notion that he didnt want to go there when he did his media tour pre-draft. I don't blame Burrow for having reservations about going there, but he doesn't really have much of a choice.

I do like Burrow and I'm wondering how early is too early to grab him in dynasty. 

11 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

The Bengals probably want Dalton to play well in preseason (assuming we get one) so they can try to move him. Either that or hope for an injury elsewhere around the league and see if some team gets desperate a la what happened a few years ago when Bridgewater got hurt and they traded for Sam Bradford. I guess the Patriots and Jaguars are fine with what they got for now.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

You didnt answer the question.

I’m not even bothering to research the answer because it’s literally one of the dumbest things I’ve been asked on here and wreaks of a troll attempt. You want the answer...go look it up yourself. But if you really think Joe’s age is going to prevent him from playing well or living up to his draft position, then you’re not worth discussing his future potential with. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I’m not even bothering to research the answer because it’s literally one of the dumbest things I’ve been asked on here and wreaks of a troll attempt. You want the answer...go look it up yourself. But if you really think Joe’s age is going to prevent him from playing well or living up to his draft position, then you’re not worth discussing his future potential with. 

Troll attempt? I'm simply asking if lots of 5th year seniors have had success. Cant recall many recent ones. I dont see how it isn't relevant. To each his own. 

Edited by dmb3684
4 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Troll attempt? I'm simply asking if lots of 5th year seniors have had success. Cant recall many recent ones. I dont see how it isn't relevant. To each his own. 

If you wonder that, then why not google the question to search for an answer (sounds rude but I don’t mean it to)? It’s not a question that I consider when assessing Burrow. I just don’t see how age plays a part or detracts from his ability to be successful. If there is a lack of 5th yr QB success, that doesn’t define Burrow or how successful he’ll be in the NFL. Jmho. 

3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

If you wonder that, then why not google the question to search for an answer (sounds rude but I don’t mean it to)? It’s not a question that I consider when assessing Burrow. I just don’t see how age plays a part or detracts from his ability to be successful. If there is a lack of 5th yr QB success, that doesn’t define Burrow or how successful he’ll be in the NFL. Jmho. 

Well I am stating that there isn't a long history of 5th year seniors being good in the NFL. The onus would be on you to show examples of why I am wrong. It's no big deal though. 

I guess for me I always think, 'how come they didn't get to the NFL sooner? I can see your side too though. No worries.

Edited by dmb3684
  • Like 1

It certainly does seem many things are lined up for Joe Burrow to have decent success in his first year. He has a really good RB in Joe Mixon, Really good WR's in AJ Green and Tyler Boyd. A guy who can catch the ball out of the backfield in Gio Bernard. The things we don't know is how is Joe Burrow going to be able to read defenses? How is he going to be able to learn the playbook and develop a chemistry with his new teammates? These things are all going to have to be evaluated closely by the coaches during training camp. I for one hope the kid gets a chance to play because I personally think if the coaches decide to play Dalton the fans will be in an uproar.

7 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Well I am stating that there isn't a long history of 5th year seniors being good in the NFL. The onus would be on you to show examples of why I am wrong. It's no big deal though. 

I guess for me I always think, 'how come they didn't get to the NFL sooner? I can see your side too though. No worries.

Dude, of course you are trolling. I even already your answered (after which you moved the goalposts a bit) and yet you keep persisting. I quoted a list starting with Andrew Luck who entered the NFL the same age as Burrow. So you moved the goalposts to "5th year senior" instead of "at that age", but unfortunately Matt Ryan proves you wrong.

It's fine to make a point about his age, but you take it to far. Instead, let's focus on the kid's play (which is pretty good) and the Bengals ownership (which isn't). I think those will be bigger factors in the succes of Burrow.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Dude, of course you are trolling. I even already your answered (after which you moved the goalposts a bit) and yet you keep persisting. I quoted a list starting with Andrew Luck who entered the NFL the same age as Burrow. So you moved the goalposts to "5th year senior" instead of "at that age", but unfortunately Matt Ryan proves you wrong.

It's fine to make a point about his age, but you take it to far. Instead, let's focus on the kid's play (which is pretty good) and the Bengals ownership (which isn't). I think those will be bigger factors in the succes of Burrow.

I can't even read your list. I'm not trolling. I didn't know everyone was required to think Burrow will be good. I think his age is a valid point. Luck was a super prospect all along. Everyone knew he was special.

8 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I didn't know everyone was required to think Burrow will be good.

Of course not, so let's focus on that. What points in his play worry you? I totally agree that there is way to much talk about him walking on water.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

Of course not, so let's focus on that. What points in his play worry you? I totally agree that there is way to much talk about him walking on water.

I think he was largely a product of how good his team and WRs were. As I have mentioned, I dont trust players thay stay in college that long. Particularly QBs. 

5 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I think he was largely a product of how good his team and WRs were. As I have mentioned, I dont trust players thay stay in college that long. Particularly QBs. 

So you would have dinged Peyton Manning for playing all 4 years in college?

Burrow made that team. You don’t throw for 60 TDs versus SEC defenses by accident.

I'm curious to see how good Jonah Williams is.  The putrid line was a big part of the problem last year.  They've made a lot of changes there but it'll only go as far as his protection while he gets his feet wet, and a lot of that will be on the left tackle.

Also, if Green doesn't get his extension, does his "non holdout-holdout" continue?  Waiting for him to report last year was like waiting for Godot.

6 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

So you would have dinged Peyton Manning for playing all 4 years in college?

Burrow made that team. You don’t throw for 60 TDs versus SEC defenses by accident.

Peyton was a much better prospect, in the same vein as Luck. I think Burrow caught lightning in a bottle and will flame out in the NFL. Being on the Bengals doesn't help.