NBC Sports Edge Forums

Joe Burrow 2020 Outlook

16 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

By today’s standards, he’s a pure pocket passer. He has the baseline mobility level for QBs entering the league today, but it’s certainly not a competitive advantage over other top QBs. I think he'll be good, but more of the Stafford, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers type of good rather than the Mahomes, Rodgers, Jackson, Wilson type of good.

Severely underrating his rushing ability 

Edited by BxBOMBERs28
  • Like 3
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I say that as a dyed-in-the-wool LSU fan who thinks a statue of Burrow should be built outside of Tiger Stadium and who thinks No9 should be retired at LSU. Lol. In fact, the wallpaper on both my

The guy with 3 rings in the past 5 years laughs at this and burrow is plenty mobile

People don’t even give his rushing ability any credit. Had a friend tell me Tua was the far superior scrambler and runner over Burrow which is just false. Burrow moves in the pocket better than Tua. B

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

By today’s standards, he’s a pure pocket passer. He has the baseline mobility level for QBs entering the league today, but it’s certainly not a competitive advantage over other top QBs. I think he'll be good, but more of the Stafford, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers type of good rather than the Mahomes, Rodgers, Jackson, Wilson type of good.

Okay, so you haven't watched him play then. He's not a pure pocket passer. In fact, he was on the highest level of elite last year when it came to passing outside of the pocket and on the move. He has more than the baseline for mobility for an NFL QB. And to compare his mobility to Stafford, Ryan, and Rivers is a joke. He's every bit as mobile as Mahomes and Rodgers. No need to further discuss this with you because you're making an assumption that isn't based in fact. As someone who watched every second he played in 2018 and 2019, I can tell you that you are grossly mistaken. He's not Lamar Jackson, but he doesn't have to be. But he sure as heck isn't a pure pocket passer with baseline mobility. 

EDIT: I apologize, I know I came off as a jackwagon. I didn't mean to. But I just don't know how you could have watched Burrow and come back with that assessment. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 5
24 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Okay, so you haven't watched him play then. He's not a pure pocket passer. In fact, he was on the highest level of elite last year when it came to passing outside of the pocket and on the move. He has more than the baseline for mobility for an NFL QB. And to compare his mobility to Stafford, Ryan, and Rivers is a joke. He's every bit as mobile as Mahomes and Rodgers. No need to further discuss this with you because you're making an assumption that isn't based in fact. As someone who watched every second he played in 2018 and 2019, I can tell you that you are grossly mistaken. He's not Lamar Jackson, but he doesn't have to be. But he sure as heck isn't a pure pocket passer with baseline mobility. 

EDIT: I apologize, I know I came off as a jackwagon. I didn't mean to. But I just don't know how you could have watched Burrow and come back with that assessment. 

Firstly you’re right - burrow is absolutely more athletic that Phillip rivers... almost anyone on two feet is.

Secondly you’re right - burrow is mobile 

Thirdly right again - you are a jackwagon👍🏿

The more I look at joe burrows mobility the harder it is for me to guesstimate his rushing numbers for the year. I think he’s clearly mobile in the same way that mahomes and Aaron Rodgers are. They can run around extend a play maybe get the corner on some DLine guys and get 9 or 10 yards. Def not going to run down the sideline for a 75 yard house call. But in Burrows last 28 college games he has less that 800 rushing yards (390yds and 370yds) now guys usually don’t go pro and get the same or more rushing yards but it does happen.

Kyler, cam, manzel, Watson, dak, Tebow, RGIII and Lamar were a few of our elite college rushing QBs and none of them went pro and got the same level of rushing yards even tho the pros have more games.

Then you got qbs that clearly looked to pass first but were athletes still like mahomes and and Daniel Jones. This is the same field I’d put burrow on but even those guys can’t replicate their college rushing production but it’s not awfully far off. 

The only guys that got better rushing numbers in college that I saw were sarong Rodgers, Carson wentz, Josh Allen and Russell Wilson’s stayed close to the same and has dipped off lately. I could see burrow being in this group as well cuss he Looks like he can scoot when he wants.

I like putting numbers to players so I can reasonably guess their point totals and honestly idk if I should give him 400 rushing yards and 4 TDs or 150 and 1td. 

5 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Firstly you’re right - burrow is absolutely more athletic that Phillip rivers... almost anyone on two feet is.

Secondly you’re right - burrow is mobile 

Thirdly right again - you are a jackwagon👍🏿

The more I look at joe burrows mobility the harder it is for me to guesstimate his rushing numbers for the year. I think he’s clearly mobile in the same way that mahomes and Aaron Rodgers are. They can run around extend a play maybe get the corner on some DLine guys and get 9 or 10 yards. Def not going to run down the sideline for a 75 yard house call. But in Burrows last 28 college games he has less that 800 rushing yards (390yds and 370yds) now guys usually don’t go pro and get the same or more rushing yards but it does happen.

Kyler, cam, manzel, Watson, dak, Tebow, RGIII and Lamar were a few of our elite college rushing QBs and none of them went pro and got the same level of rushing yards even tho the pros have more games.

Then you got qbs that clearly looked to pass first but were athletes still like mahomes and and Daniel Jones. This is the same field I’d put burrow on but even those guys can’t replicate their college rushing production but it’s not awfully far off. 

The only guys that got better rushing numbers in college that I saw were sarong Rodgers, Carson wentz, Josh Allen and Russell Wilson’s stayed close to the same and has dipped off lately. I could see burrow being in this group as well cuss he Looks like he can scoot when he wants.

I like putting numbers to players so I can reasonably guess their point totals and honestly idk if I should give him 400 rushing yards and 4 TDs or 150 and 1td. 

Don't know what I've ever done or said to you for you to call me a jackwagon...but ok, whatever. 

As for rushing numbers, it's hard to know how to project them. The NFL is not college, so it's easy to understand why rushing numbers for QBs haven't translated. The thing about college ball, also, is that sack yardage counts against the QBs' rushing yardage. I've never understood that, but that's how they do it. 

When I talk about Burrow's mobility, I'm not talking about fantasy rushing numbers...but I'd probably put him at 300ish rushing yards this season. His mobility is seen in how well me moves around and outside of the pocket, extending plays and making throws while moving. And when he needs to take off, he's very capable of it and has more than "baseline" mobility. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Don't know what I've ever done or said to you for you to call me a jackwagon...but ok, whatever. 

Just jerking your chain bud i didn’t wanna compliment you too much.

5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

As for rushing numbers, it's hard to know how to project them. The NFL is not college, so it's easy to understand why rushing numbers for QBs haven't translated. The thing about college ball, also, is that sack yardage counts against the QBs' rushing yardage. I've never understood that, but that's how they do it. 

When I talk about Burrow's mobility, I'm not talking about fantasy rushing numbers...but I'd probably put him at 300ish rushing yards this season. His mobility is seen in how well me moves around and outside of the pocket, extending plays and making throws while moving. And when he needs to take off, he's very capable of it and has more than "baseline" mobility. 

I was thinking this too then I looked at Daniel Jones and it made me skiddish again lol. Thanks bud. 

2 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Just jerking your chain bud i didn’t wanna compliment you too much.

Ah gotcha, okay. Lol...hard to tell on the old interwebz sometimes. My apologies :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NInsko said:

I've come back to reality and came to this conclusion. 

And I say that as a dyed-in-the-wool LSU fan who thinks a statue of Burrow should be built outside of Tiger Stadium and who thinks No9 should be retired at LSU. Lol. In fact, the wallpaper on both my laptop and my phone is a picture of Joe with the "Burreaux" jersey on during the pregame ceremonies on senior night. So I'm a huge fan of his...but I also try to be completely objective. I truly believe the future is extremely bright for Burrow, but I think this is going to be a huge learning curve season for him, especially since he hasn't been able to physically spend time with his WRs and his OL. 

Think of it this way...in 2018, Burrow arrived at LSU just weeks before camp started, and he was able to spend little-to-no time with his team, his WRs, his RBs, his OL, his coaches. And while there were flashes, there was also a lot of struggle until the final four games of the season when he settled into a very productive groove. But between 2018 and 2019, Burrow gathered his WRs during the offseason and threw, literally, thousands of passes to them. It wasn't just the offensive system (which helped for sure)...it was being able to spend time throwing passes and getting the timing down with his WRs/TEs and them being able to virtually read each other's minds. 

I think we could see a similar progression with Burrow in Cincy. Struggle early on, but show some flashes of the promise. In the latter part of the 2020 season (if they keep playing), we start to see his numbers improve and Burrow begin to emerge. But I think 2021 will be the season when we see Burrow take the big leap in production because, and I can promise you this, Joe will spend A LOT of time with his WRs/TEs next offseason. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Originally i was under the impression he was more mobile than his stats suggest which was the main thing that grabbed my attention. Reading a few of your past posts in the thread helped me come to my senses.

Edited by NInsko
15 hours ago, NInsko said:

Originally i was under the impression he was more mobile than his stats suggest which was the main thing that grabbed my attention. Reading a few of your past posts in the thread helped me come to my senses.

He is more mobile than his stats suggest your original assumption was correct. Don’t judge based on posters in this thread. Watch a few LSU games and let your eyes be the judge.  

Edited by BxBOMBERs28
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

He is more mobile than his stats suggest your original assumption was correct. Don’t judge based on posters in this thread. Watch a few LSU games and let your eyes be the judge.  

I'll look into it. Are you on Board with Burrows YR 1?

5 minutes ago, NInsko said:

I'll look into it. Are you on Board with Burrows YR 1?

In a 1QB redraft I’m not going to reach for him but in a 2QB leagues I think he has a great shot at being a top 10-15 QB immediately and in those settings I will reach for him a bit as my QB2. In dynasty’s he’s a lock top 10QB with upside for top 5 in the years to come imo. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Is Joe Burrow worth reaching in a dynasty rookies only draft? Talking mid 1st round pick. For some reason I see this dude being a long-term elite. 

I took Burrow at the turn in the late 1st. 12 and 13.

Burrow and Jefferson. I also did it, because I had 14, which I landed Reagor. Burrow is going to struggle most likely this year, but after this year, with the talent around him there is no reason he shouldn't succeed. The Bengals are one offensive lineman away, from being middle tier. I looked at, with big name free agents and the 2021 draft land Sewell or J Chase, why not take the risk. 

30 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

I took Burrow at the turn in the late 1st. 12 and 13.

Burrow and Jefferson. I also did it, because I had 14, which I landed Reagor. Burrow is going to struggle most likely this year, but after this year, with the talent around him there is no reason he shouldn't succeed. The Bengals are one offensive lineman away, from being middle tier. I looked at, with big name free agents and the 2021 draft land Sewell or J Chase, why not take the risk. 

i keep running mock draft after mock draft. In my league I gave up my QB1 for a switch from pick 1.4 to 1.6 and got dj chark which I thought was a steal. So now I only have Big Ben, and this is a very deep league. 

Only person I could see if there was any chance realistically being available at 6 that is worth it over Burrow for me is Dobbins; but I can't see him being there. 

2 hours ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

i keep running mock draft after mock draft. In my league I gave up my QB1 for a switch from pick 1.4 to 1.6 and got dj chark which I thought was a steal. So now I only have Big Ben, and this is a very deep league. 

Only person I could see if there was any chance realistically being available at 6 that is worth it over Burrow for me is Dobbins; but I can't see him being there. 

For me dobbins is about two years out, so he is the long game whether it is dynasty or keeper. They have 4 rbs that can play ball on that roster. 

• 3 weeks later...