NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathan Taylor 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want you y'all to know three things are certain this week: 1. me pounding beers. 2. me pounding my wife. 3. Nyheim Hines pounding the ball.

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Leopard said:

Taylor has poor vision when he is hitting the holes..it’s frustrating. 

That'll come with reps. His power and speed is apparent to anyone with eyes. Dude drags multiple defenders on every play. He looked a lot better this week compared to week 3, but I think they killed his rhythm whenever he got going. Noticed on most drives they utilized Taylor twice they moved the chains and got a first, most drives they pulled him out after first down... 3 and out.

Edited by harck
4 minutes ago, harck said:

That'll come with reps. His power and speed is apparent to anyone with eyes. Dude drags multiple defenders on every play. He looked a lot better this week compared to week 3, but I think they killed his rhythm whenever he got going. Noticed on most drives they utilized Taylor twice they moved the chains and got a first, most drives they pulled him out after first down... 3 and out.

Exactly my thought, the more he got the ball he ended the game with his longest run of the game. He needs more reps to be explosive, but the coaches are leaning towards a RBBC until then and thats frustrating

9 hours ago, Leopard said:

Taylor has poor vision when he is hitting the holes..it’s frustrating. 

That’s how I see it too. He runs into the pile too frequently. He seems to need a giant hole to find any room. Most of his nice runs yesterday were bounced to the outside where he used his speed to get around the edge. Wilkins was able to find more room in between the tackles but he is no where near the athlete as Taylor. Hopefully watching more film and getting more experience will lead to a great second half of the season. Miles Sanders started off slow last year as well due to inexperience. Hopefully Taylor figures it out quickly. 

Should be a solid RB2 with RB1 upside all year. 15+ touches with his talent and that offensive line is going to be fine. The coaches are obviously smart enough to see the talent disparity, so the RBBC is just a matter of limiting his reps. Obviously not always ideal from a fantasy perspective but at least it gives us a better chance of having a healthy JT all season. Better days ahead. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

Should be a solid RB2 with RB1 upside all year. 15+ touches with his talent and that offensive line is going to be fine. The coaches are obviously smart enough to see the talent disparity, so the RBBC is just a matter of limiting his reps. Obviously not always ideal from a fantasy perspective but at least it gives us a better chance of having a healthy JT all season. Better days ahead. 

This. The RB1 talk was always nonsense. He's the best back there but he's always gonna be in some form of a timeshare. 

Not gonna lie though, this week was a little concerning. By all accounts he looked very ordinary, and this was a fantastic gamescript. If he's not producing in these games he's gonna drop 3 points in the games they're down big. (Granted the defense looks good enough to where that should be rare.)

You really cant get in a rhythm when the coach puts you in on first down, you get 5 yards, and then your on the sideline until the next possession because every time they pulled him, Wilkins and Hines went backwards. He may have only had 3 drives where he had more than 1 touch during that possession...And, when he was in, more than likely it was a run up the gut. It wasn't very hard for the bears to figure that out. The play calling was atrocious.

• Like 1

I don’t think RB1 talk was nonsense - it just hasn’t panned out yet - there is uncertainty in this game.  Many rookie RB’s have succeeded in this type of situation before, and many will in the future. I do think sometimes we all think we know a little bit more than we actually do about how physically talented a player is.  I also think we completely underestimate the cognitive side of the game. Sometimes physically talented players never learn to throw the right pass or pick the right hole.  I’m not saying Taylor is one of those, but it is certainly one of the possible outcomes. I’m an owner on 2 of 8 teams.

I have no problem with an RBBC if it’s successful. But Hines(2.7 ypc) and Wilkins (1.7 ypc) had 18 rushes for 39 yards. JT(4.2 ypc) had 17 carries for 68 yards. At some point you have to realize your wasting plays and re-evaluate.

Rivers didn’t help much either but the coaching staff should take a long look in the mirror. Passing the ball 2x when your on the 3 yard line with the best OLine in the league?

Leads to FGs not TDs 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Sherlocklock said:

I don’t think RB1 talk was nonsense - it just hasn’t panned out yet - there is uncertainty in this game.  Many rookie RB’s have succeeded in this type of situation before, and many will in the future. I do think sometimes we all think we know a little bit more than we actually do about how physically talented a player is.  I also think we completely underestimate the cognitive side of the game. Sometimes physically talented players never learn to throw the right pass or pick the right hole.  I’m not saying Taylor is one of those, but it is certainly one of the possible outcomes. I’m an owner on 2 of 8 teams.

I don’t either Sherlock. 

Everything is lined up for him to become an RB1.

He just needs to run away with it, literally.

Still a decent chance for that .. by midway or tail end of the season.

Some of that falls on the coaching staff, the rest on him.

1 minute ago, JEREMY LIN said:

What is this guy's value right now? Would you take him over Mixon ROS?

Not a chance.  Mixon owns that backfield.   JT is just one of 3 the colts are deploying.   And he still looks like a rookie out there(to be expected.)

9 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Not a chance.  Mixon owns that backfield.   JT is just one of 3 the colts are deploying.   And he still looks like a rookie out there(to be expected.)

JT has outscored Mixon in 3 of the 4 weeks. granted This week Mixon was amazing but it could be a one off. The other 3 weeks Mixon has lost you weeks. Honestly I think I’d rather have JT but hell I been wrong all year lol

7 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

JT has outscored Mixon in 3 of the 4 weeks. granted This week Mixon was amazing but it could be a one off. The other 3 weeks Mixon has lost you weeks. Honestly I think I’d rather have JT but hell I been wrong all year lol

More likely that’s due to sample size and Bengals getting their feet wet with a rookie qb.  Chase role and volume.  That’s easily Mixon over JT for 2020

33 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

More likely that’s due to sample size and Bengals getting their feet wet with a rookie qb.  Chase role and volume.  That’s easily Mixon over JT for 2020

I agree with both of you, if that even makes sense.

But if we revisit this same question 4-5 weeks from now .. things might change. 

JT's situation is a bit more fluid & volatile compared to Mixon and his solidified role as the undisputed back. 

• Like 1

I think what will end up happening is JT's talent will eventually be very apparent after he makes some nice plays. The cream will rise to the crop and the coaches will turn him loose.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

I agree with both of you, if that even makes sense.

But if we revisit this same question 4-5 weeks from now .. things might change. 

JT's situation is a bit more fluid & volatile compared to Mixon and his solidified role as the undisputed back. 

3 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

I think what will end up happening is JT's talent will eventually be very apparent after he makes some nice plays. The cream will rise to the crop and the coaches will turn him loose.

completely fair.   I’m a huge JT fan but he flat needs more playing time and opportunities.  He missed several open lanes and the colts are actively using a three man rotation.   Plus Rivers is just awful.    He provides no downfield passing threat.   None.  

Mixon just needed that offense to find its footing.  Burrow is a star in the making.  

• Like 1

What are we doing fellow JT owners? Think the Colts will finally get him involved or is this 3 man committee here to stay for the rest of the season? I love this guy's potential, but I can't bear to see another couple weeks of JT pulled after getting 3-4 yards on first down. Considering packaging him in a trade for a straight RB1.

2 minutes ago, harck said:

What are we doing fellow JT owners? Think the Colts will finally get him involved or is this 3 man committee here to stay for the rest of the season? I love this guy's potential, but I can't bear to see another couple weeks of JT pulled after getting 3-4 yards on first down. Considering packaging him in a trade for a straight RB1.

I would definitely do that. Despite what many here will tell you (due to wishful thinking), he's not a RB1, and he won't be. He's a RB2. I'm a huge fan of 2 for 1 deals as I'm a firm believer that whoever gets the best player in the deal wins it 90% of the time. This committee isn't going anywhere. 

5 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I would definitely do that. Despite what many here will tell you (due to wishful thinking), he's not a RB1, and he won't be. He's a RB2. I'm a huge fan of 2 for 1 deals as I'm a firm believer that whoever gets the best player in the deal wins it 90% of the time. This committee isn't going anywhere. 

Can you see into the future? 

• Haha 5
2 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

This committee isn't going anywhere. 

Disagree - they can only slam Nyheim Hines into the line so many times before they come to their senses and realize it’s not working. When they have to start playing teams with competent offenses I expect JT to get fed, similarly to how he did against Minnesota.

The margin of error was huge against crappy offenses like the Jets and Bears; that won’t be the case every week.

He will finish squarely in RB1 territory.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Can you see into the future? 

If I could my fantasy team would be a hell of a lot better. That said, pretty much all the commentary on these boards is speculation, outside of shared tweets/reports. We're all giving our best guesses. Mine is based off of what we've seen. Saying he'll be an RB1 is based on nothing more than wishful thinking. Not saying it's impossible, but it's not based on anything tangible. 

14 minutes ago, David Aames said:

who has the better season fantasy wise....taylor or gibson?

People are going to laugh at you but this is gonna be a lot closer than people think. Gibson is the more dynamic back, and the benching of Haskins can only help.