NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathan Taylor 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want you y'all to know three things are certain this week: 1. me pounding beers. 2. me pounding my wife. 3. Nyheim Hines pounding the ball.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

When’s the last time Taylor’s hand has been hot?  He played well the first series then only saw the field again a few times the rest of the game.

The offense works better with Hines.

Hines disappeared after Week 1. I picked him up thinking he would be a poor mans Ekeler/Woodhead. Next week Hines wont do anything. He probably saw lighter fronts than Taylor/Wilkins.

Personally I think this a bad rushing offense and it wont get better.

Edited by Evincar
9 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Hines disappeared after Week 1. I picked him up thinking he would be a poor mans Ekeler/Woodhead. Next week Hines wont do anything. He probably saw lighter fronts than Taylor/Wilkins.

Personally I think this a bad rushing offense and it wont get better.

I dropped a chunk of FAAB after Week 1 to pick him up as well as a Taylor owner.

I think they tried to make Taylor the focus, but were disappointed with the results, so they started rotating guys in more.  It seems they’ve found something now.

1 minute ago, StevenSC400 said:

This guy can’t break tackles, he can’t juke defenders and runs into his own linemen. The small amount of optimism I had has gone out the window. This was the confirmation game. 

Who would have thought he would great as a receiver but a total JAG as a runner? Some people will say that he needs 20+ touches to get into a rhythm. If thats true than he's not as talented as we thought. He should be able to make splash plays on limited touches.

Just now, StevenSC400 said:

This guy can’t break tackles, he can’t juke defenders and runs into his own linemen. The small amount of optimism I had has gone out the window. This was the confirmation game. 

He's pretty good in space, which he rarely is.

Put a good pop on that db when he caught that pass for 11 or 12 yards.

He just doesn't seem like a fit for this offense.  He's an I-back, and they take every snap out of the shotgun.

Despite his great-on-paper schedule to finish up the year, I don't see much to be optimistic about.

Being at the top of dynasty drafts this past year is turning out to be ******** horrific for year one impact...shoulda just accumulated picks instead.

I believe the guy is talented, but enough enough. There were 30-32 fantasy points for rbs on the team tonight. He got basically none of them. Rivers was moving the ball. I don’t know what this guy is vs watching his film because in the film I saw decisive burst and power...maybe next year.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:19 AM, Ryansm11 said:

I think this guy struggles his first year in the league. He’s not nearly as fast as his 40 time and won’t be running through people like he did in college. I know everyone is all aboard the hype train, he kind of reminds me of rookie Melvin Gordon. 

Man, I thought he would struggle. I didn’t think the colts would just not even use him. Crazy they drafted this dude 2nd round and give him 5 touches a game. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

This guy will be known as just another TRich. Trich 3.0 or 4.0 now? not sure but yeah, just another TRich and thats all. BUST.

TRich is probably feeling confident right now that one less person is going to surpass his rushing totals in the NFL. There's still hope for this kid but his dynasty stocks have been hit hard. I wouldn't even be willing to take a flier in him right now because people burned a 1st to get him and the asking price on the recoup is no longer a value move.

In his rookie season, Trent Richardson had 267 carries over 15 games, for an average of 18 carries per game.

Through 10 games, Jonathan Taylor has 113 carries for an average of 11 carries per game. Though, Taylors carries have been steadily decreasing, with just 13 carries over his last two games. With 7 games remaining, if we extrapolate the season using the current trend of 6.5 carries per game, Taylor would finish the season with 158 carries, for an average of 10 carries per game. To reach the 1000 yard benchmark, Taylor would need to average a whopping 6.3 ypc. 

For the season, Taylor is averaging 3.8 ypc. However, in the 5 games Taylor has received 12 or more carries, he’s averaged 4.3 ypc. Were taylor to be given Richardson’s 18 carries per game, at 4.3 ypc Taylor season total would extrapolate to 1225 yards. For the sake of reference, Marshall Faulk’s rookie season saw him take 19 carries per game for 1282 yards at just 4.1 ypc. Yes, Faulk also had great receiving numbers as a rookie, but we’re just focusing on rushing stats here. 

I’m not really sure what all of this means, other than to say it seems unfair to compare Jonathan Taylor’s rookie season to Richardson’s. Richardson was given a genuine opportunity to be his teams leading rusher over the course if his entire rookie season. Conversely, Taylor finds himself being used as part of an increasingly common committee approach. If Taylor were given the same opportunities Richardson had, Taylor’s rookie season rushing totals would be more in line with Marshall Faulk’s, one of the greatest RBs in NFL history.

It’s difficult to say whether the lack of opportunity is due to Taylor underwhelming, or whether Taylor underwhelming is due to a lack of genuine opportunity. But those claiming Taylor needs a larger workload to truly make his mark seem to be on to something, and his underutilization as rookie may truly tell us nothing about his future in the NFL. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

For the season, Taylor is averaging 3.8 ypc. However, in the 5 games Taylor has received 12 or more carries, he’s averaged 4.3 ypc. Were taylor to be given Richardson’s 18 carries per game, at 4.3 ypc Taylor season total would extrapolate to 1225 yards. For the sake of reference, Marshall Faulk’s rookie season saw him take 19 carries per game for 1282 yards at just 4.1 ypc. Yes, Faulk also had great receiving numbers as a rookie, but we’re just focusing on rushing stats here. 

It's not that simple. JT seems to get more work when he earns more work by playing well. The correlation between the increased work and increased production kind of proves this. JT needs to play better, its just that simple. The Colts didn't turn to a 5'9", 195lbs RB at the goal line to spite JT owners, it was rather because JT got stuffed down there on 3rd and 1. The little guy played well, JT played like crap. He's a rookie RB who has done little to earn his coach's trust. Efficient production will lead to a big role, his competition is not good so its just that simple. The Colts want to win. The fact he's struggling to beat out a bust and an undersized back is telling about where he's at and where he's likely to be at in the end of the season.

• Like 2