NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathan Taylor 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want you y'all to know three things are certain this week: 1. me pounding beers. 2. me pounding my wife. 3. Nyheim Hines pounding the ball.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

The Colts still can’t be trusted.  

They wasted so many touches on Wilkins and Hines.

So much for hot hand; he did great today but could be back to the same crap again next week. 

both hines and wilkins looked awful.  it wasnt all going to happen in one game.  barring an injury to one of them, this was about as good as could be expected heading into the playoffs...

Taylor's really started to look better - his vision and cuts today looked way different than earlier in the season (esp on his 24 yard carry, great cut to the outside). Wilkins really should be phased out entirely, and Hines is pretty useless as a runner.

1 hour ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

The Colts still can’t be trusted.  

They wasted so many touches on Wilkins and Hines.

So much for hot hand; he did great today but could be back to the same crap again next week. 

I don’t like this but agree entirely.  Nothing to suggest anything has changed.  There was a stretch of time during halfway through the first and much of the second when he didn’t touch the ball.  

• Like 1

His talent stood out this week.  He was decisive and showed vision, burst, and power to move the ball.  His usage is criminal though.  No reason Wilkins should touch the ball unless there is a blowout.  Indy was bailed out by a late Watson fumble on the goaline unless they would have blown this game and that would been solely on the coaching staff.  JT averaged 7 ypc and still only saw 13 carries (91 yards).  Meanwhile, Wilkins and Hines combined for 22 yards on 11 carries for a whopping 2 ypc.  JT also caught all 3 of his targets for 44 yards and Wilkins/Hines totaled 5 for 28.  As other posters have noted, Hines should be involved in some passing downs, a few runs, and a few designed pass plays...but Wilkins needs to gets phased out.   We all can see this narrative, but can we trust that the Colts coaching staff see that...unlikely!  

• Like 3

Very few teams give every single carry to one RB any more.  And there may be pass pro issues going on that we do not know about.

That said, everyone who stayed patient with this player is now reaping the rewards.  I predict this guy will be fun to watch for the rest of the year, and even better in 2021.

Something is really wrong with the Eagles.  They are not making good decisions right now with game plan, personnel, play calling, or anything.

The Colts, on the other hand, are picking up steam.  Taylor appears to be a big part of why.

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Something is really wrong with the Eagles.  They are not making good decisions right now with game plan, personnel, play calling, or anything.

The Colts, on the other hand, are picking up steam.  Taylor appears to be a big part of why.

Taylor is obviously catching steam to anyone watching. But the colts for some reason think it’s a good idea to run Wilkins out there. To me it seems like the coaching staff is more concerned about hurting peoples feelings than winning football games because I can’t see any situation where Wilkins gives them a better chance to win.

Edited by StevenSC400
  • Like 1

Honestly, I think part of his usage may have something to do with the rookie wall. Rookies seem to slow down around this time do to length of College season if workload is too heavy. He has certainly not been overworked. They may start to increase his load in preparation of their playoff run. Hopefully 🙏 they have been saving him anyway? We’ll see!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

who is falling victim to firing him up. Reich gives the ball to Wilkins heavily this game. 

It could be a trap game but it’s kind of hard to sit him unless you have really good options. Two back to back solid games. You just have to cross your fingers the colts get him more involved and phase wilkins out.

• Like 1

I’m a diehard Colts fan and every Colts fan on IG, FB etc has been screaming “give JT the ball more!”  RUN THE DAMN BALL was the Colts mantra last year and I feel like that mindset is creeping back in.

It seems they have been letting him get up to speed/get comfortable these past several weeks and now he is/has turned the corner.  “Hot hand” was the buzzword but maybe they didn’t want to burn out JT and they felt fine w what Wilkins was doing.  With his current increases usage JT is now showing that he is clearly the better back.  Maybe he always was?  They just didn’t want to overuse   

I fully believe the Colts would rather have a full time RB1 ala Mack last year than a 3 man RBBC.  They have given JT time to settle and learn and now it’s time for him to take over.  Playoff run is JT time. 

Not saying he will be a bellcow, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wilkins usage decrease substantially and it become a JT/Hines split ROS the same way Mack/Hines split (with Wilkins peppered sparingly).  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Cleanface said:

Not saying he will be a bellcow, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wilkins usage decrease substantially and it become a JT/Hines split ROS the same way Mack/Hines split (with Wilkins peppered sparingly).  

Isn't this what's already happening?  Just saying I don't see a big change in usage coming - sincerely hope I'm wrong.  Really seems like for JT to return big value owners need Indy to get up on LV and then Reich/staff seem comfortable giving the ball to JT in a run the clock out scenario.  Could happen, based on what occur with Jets last week.  Unfortunately, like many poor souls visiting this thread, JT's the best of a handful of bad options this season needed at the most important time. Giddy up!

Pretty easy analysis I think.  When the game is out of hand, Colts are going to throw Wilkins in there for some late game unimportant touches.

Hines will be the hurry-up and obvious passing down back.

JT will get 15 carries and 5 targets and goal-line work.

Should work out just fine for those team managers who stuck with Taylor this long.

29 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Pretty easy analysis I think.  When the game is out of hand, Colts are going to throw Wilkins in there for some late game unimportant touches.

Hines will be the hurry-up and obvious passing down back.

JT will get 15 carries and 5 targets and goal-line work.

Should work out just fine for those team managers who stuck with Taylor this long.

Oh man send it don't spend it. I wish it was so clear cut & dry.

Probably a little more fluid than that.  

But regardless we're on the same train heading north, Taylor is a great play for the home stretch. 

• Like 1

I wish he was a lock for GL carries, but I do think he's a near-lock to have the heaviest workload. He had 16 touches last week and has balled out - if Wilkins' touches/snaps move to JT, that would be amazing. Even if he only gets 15 touches, I still think he's a start given the matchups for the next 2 weeks.

I felt pretty dicey starting him last week, but given his last 2 games of evidence and Hines/Wilkins struggles when he was out, I feel pretty confident we'll see at least 15 touches. Amazing how rapidly the RB landscape has changed on a near weekly basis this season, but hopefully our patience will pay off.