NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cam Akers 2020 Outlook

6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I was able to follow along despite the formating anomaly.  Sounds like being patient with Akers is the play in season-long.

Yeah.  As a non Cam Akers owner, I'm gonna wait and see if this trend continues, and as long as he doesn't rip off a huge 60 yard TD after he escapes to the 2nd level I think it could continue.

That's when I'll try to trade for him most likely.

As a Cam Akers owner, this might be one of those long season things where you start him every week and he hope he breaks a 60 yard TD and accept the games that happened week 1... OR you stash him and wait patiently.

Unless you're in those buy low sell high garbage threads, majority of us aren't trading him for Julio Jones like everyone in that thread can seem to pull off.

• Like 3
  • Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

18/130/3 5/50/1

Dropping him 3 weeks ago after holding all season is going to haunt me.

Akers takeover definitely did not happen this week.  

Posted Images

20 carries 51 yards (2.55 YPC), 1TD, 1 rec 1 yard

14 carries 39 yards (2.79 YPC), 1 rec 4 yards

One is Ezekiel Elliott in his first NFL game, the other is Cam Akers.  The point is, even for rookie RBs it's sometimes not smooth out of the gate.  Elliott was as pro ready as they come and it took him 3 games until he got comfortable and he had a pre-season to help.  

I'm trying to buy Akers wherever I can, he's still the same lottery ticket with a good opportunity to me except now he's a lot cheaper.  Anybody dropping after 1 week is WAY too reactionary.  This was always a long play.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Players Cam Akers, a rookie without a preseason got more carries than last week:

Dalvin Cook

Kareem Hunt

Alvin Kamara

David Montgomery 

David Johnson

Jonathan Taylor

Devin Singletary 

Mark Ingram 

Also had more YPC than Kamara, Taylor, and Barkley. It's one week and he got a big workload. Relax. 

These kinds of things are always terrible takes. Akers needs to be compared to how his direct competition performed. Brown ran circles around him. Yeah, stacked boxes played a factor, but Malcolm's performance means it's probably going to take longer for Akers to claw his way to the top. Yes, I drafted Akers (and picked up Brown before the season as he was the starter). But unless Brown immediately implodes, we've got a large obstacle for our guy to overcome.

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

These kinds of things are always terrible takes. Akers needs to be compared to how his direct competition performed. Brown ran circles around him. Yeah, stacked boxes played a factor, but Malcolm's performance means it's probably going to take longer for Akers to claw his way to the top. Yes, I drafted Akers (and picked up Brown before the season as he was the starter). But unless Brown immediately implodes, we've got a large obstacle for our guy to overcome.

Probably so.  Brown's never really had the opportunity to take the job by the reigns as he was always Gurley's caddy before, so we don't really know what he can do with it.  It seemed like he had a little momentum last year but both his and Henderson's were snuffed in that Niner game.

I feel like the most likely scenario is that McVay finally gives Brown his opportunity, but after a month or two we see him maxing out at "just ok" and then they phase back to Akers for more chunk play potential.  But none of us really know if Brown has another gear that keeps Akers on the bench all year.  It's possible, stranger things have happened.

• Like 3

I'm not saying drop the guy, but he does not pass the eye test for me. He looks like a slightly smaller less physical Thomas Rawls. That style works much better in college against not only inferior talent, but much smaller guys. 

And as mentioned, I'm not as interested in the comps to players on other teams, he has to look better than Brown/Henderson, that is the key. And unfortunately Brown ran circles around him. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL
7 hours ago, smeeze said:

Very interesting. Also why we don’t overreact to one game. Looks like the Cowboys either underestimated Brown, overestimated Akers, or some combination thereof.

Good point however, I don't think its a matter of overestimating Akers, it could just be more related to taking advantage of his weaknesses.

Could these 8+ man boxes be attributed to the fact that his pass pro grades are not that great and his receiving skills are somewhat suspect so when opposing defenses see him on the field, there's a great chance that it's a run play? These defensive coordinators know what their doing. 

Rams passed the ball 62% of the time in 2019 which was 8th in the league.  If this kid cant pass block and can prove to be an asset in the passing game, he's not going to get more than 33% of the snaps like what we saw in week 1.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Probably so.  Brown's never really had the opportunity to take the job by the reigns as he was always Gurley's caddy before, so we don't really know what he can do with it.  It seemed like he had a little momentum last year but both his and Henderson's were snuffed in that Niner game.

I feel like the most likely scenario is that McVay finally gives Brown his opportunity, but after a month or two we see him maxing out at "just ok" and then they phase back to Akers for more chunk play potential.  But none of us really know if Brown has another gear that keeps Akers on the bench all year.  It's possible, stranger things have happened.

I think the key is Akers finding another gear to put Brown on the bench. He played slower than Brown, and maybe that can be attributed to reasons associated with being a rookie with a limited offseason. I know he didn’t resemble the player I saw at FlaSt. But, whatever the reason(s) may be, Akers is the one who needs to improve and find another gear or two. And even as a Brown owner in my two leagues and an Akers owner in neither, I’m rooting for the kid because of the crap he had to put up with at FlaSt. I hope he finds it this year, but if he doesn’t, I’ll be sitting there with Brown. 

2 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

Could these 8+ man boxes be attributed to the fact that his pass pro grades are not that great and his receiving skills are somewhat suspect so when opposing defenses see him on the field, there's a great chance that it's a run play? These defensive coordinators know what their doing. 

This perfectly describes Sony Michel last year too.

I'll be interested to see how this week plays out.  Probably best to leave on the bench for another couple weeks, however.  I would hope that the NYG game week 4 would be a good target for Akers to claim hold of the position.

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/la-rams-rookie-rb-cam-akers-learning-on-the-run

“It's still really a small inventory, especially for some of our younger backs like Cam and Darrell (Henderson Jr.) to really get too enamored with it,” McVay said. “But I thought they protected the ball. I thought they played tough and that was important. Then Malcolm, you could feel Malcolm’s veteran experience. He showed up and he was definitely the star for our crew the other night.”

Offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell reiterated that the Rams will continue to ride the hot hand between Akers, Brown and Henderson, who had just three carries for six yards last week. The Memphis product has been dealing with a hamstring injury, and McVay said Henderson should be more involved in the offense in Sunday’s road game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

What makes a running back hot? Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell did his best to answer that question.

“Just as coaches, when you’re watching a guy, his vision, his feel of kind of how a defense is defending things, how he's holding his tracks and seeing the vision of the cut and reading things a gap at a time,” O’Connell said. “(Those are) all the coaching points that you talk about when a guy kind of has a good feel for that. He can run a little bit more naturally.”

For his part, Akers got the first-game jitters out last week and looks forward to more carries against a stout Philadelphia Eagles run defense. The Eagles allowed just 80 rushing yards against Washington last week.

“I got a lot left,” Akers said. “A lot left in the tank.” 

27 minutes ago, jpark211 said:

I didn't see the game, but how serious did the injury look?

He just got tackled like any other play and landed on his shoulder or the ball. Didn’t look like he should have been injured, but something happened I guess. I think it was the landing that hurt him, not the hit.

He was slow to get up then jogged off holding his side. Seemed like he didn’t really care about talking to the medical staff, but they took him away I guess. He wasn’t holding his arm like a collar bone/shoulder, so I’d think as long as he didn’t break a rib it hopefully won’t be too serious.

Edited by MJJ28

I thought he just got the wind knocked out of him, fell with the ball under his chest. I'd be surprised if the injury was serious. 

That said, barring injury I think this backfield is one to completely avoid this year unfortunately. 

I'm a little worried here as Henderson took advantage of his situation and look decent. Akers is the better talent. But you can't make the club in the tub. I can see the Rams riding the hot hand (in Henderson) when Akers comes back.

All that said, I think I want a piece of this backfield as there is clearly a lot of fantasy points available to the main RB on this team. I'd try and buy Akers as a low buy stash for some end season explosion. 

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

I'm a little worried here as Henderson took advantage of his situation and look decent. Akers is the better talent. But you can't make the club in the tub. I can see the Rams riding the hot hand (in Henderson) when Akers comes back.

All that said, I think I want a piece of this backfield as there is clearly a lot of fantasy points available to the main RB on this team. I'd try and buy Akers as a low buy stash for some end season explosion. 

Here's to hoping.You think this is Henderson's backfield now or will Malcom still get a run? 

13 minutes ago, stevieglick said:

Here's to hoping.You think this is Henderson's backfield now or will Malcom still get a run? 

Brown is the steady veteran placeholder until one of the young backs takes it and runs with it. I never viewed Brown as a long term threat; it was always Henderson.

So right now it's Henderson but lets see what the report is on Akers' injury. 

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

Brown is the steady veteran placeholder until one of the young backs takes it and runs with it. I never viewed Brown as a long term threat; it was always Henderson.

So right now it's Henderson but lets see what the report is on Akers' injury. 

Yeah very curious to see what the status is on Akers! Hopefully I won't be as sick to my stomach for dropping Henderson prior to this week😂