Cam Akers 2020 Outlook

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

18/130/3 5/50/1

Dropping him 3 weeks ago after holding all season is going to haunt me.

Akers takeover definitely did not happen this week.  

Posted Images

I don't see any reason for them to play him this week. Brown and Henderson are more than capable of carrying the load. 

Can't say him already getting hurt on a routine tackle is a great sign. 

I know people didn't invest a ton of draft capital in this kid but I just don't see him being relevant this year. 

9 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I don't see any reason for them to play him this week. Brown and Henderson are more than capable of carrying the load. 

Can't say him already getting hurt on a routine tackle is a great sign. 

I know people didn't invest a ton of draft capital in this kid but I just don't see him being relevant this year. 

Im debating to drop Akers in shallow leagues where I already have other injuries. I just don’t think it’s going to be his year. 

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Im debating to drop Akers in shallow leagues where I already have other injuries. I just don’t think it’s going to be his year. 

Shallow league I'd have no concerns dropping him. He likely will get picked up, but barring significant injury to Brown or Henderson he absolutely will not be fantasy relevant. At that point I'd much rather own a Pollard, Martison, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

Dang... why even push it? Let him sit at least a week.

I agree with this. Brown and Henderson have shown in these first two weeks that they are more than capable. Let the kid rest and heal instead of pressing him into action hurt. 

6 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Nonsense talk 

Based on what exactly? He's looked the worst of the three. There's nothing outside of wishful thinking that suggests he'll run away with this job. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Based on what exactly? He's looked the worst of the three. There's nothing outside of wishful thinking that suggests he'll run away with this job. 

So far he has been the worst of the 3.  But consider draft pedigree and college production (on a terrible team) and the fact that there were no OTAs this rookie's value can only go up from where it is right now.

1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

So far he has been the worst of the 3.  But consider draft pedigree and college production (on a terrible team) and the fact that there were no OTAs this rookie's value can only go up from where it is right now.

Well it's essentially zero, so yes it should only go up. But one could argue Henderson had a very similar college pedigree. I think we know Brown is a JAG, but he seems the most trusted. 

At the end of the day I just feel like we're dealing with a pretty ordinary talent in Akers. 

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I mean drop him and regret it later. 

The guy is hurt and was always gonna be a week 8 to the finish play. 

Read previous pages if you want to hear reasons why. They're all there. 

• Thanks 4

Akers was always going to be a draft and stash low-risk, high-upside rookie RB. His value is in being a bench piece that you get in early on in case he gets the reins mid-season (or earlier) and blows the lid off the fantasy playoffs. But there was always a risk that Brown/Henderson may seize the backfield for most of if not all of this season, letting Akers develop.

+ Did you draft him thinking he was going to be your immediate RB2? Drop him and pick up a JAG that can get 10+ immediate carries

+ Are you holding onto too many injured RBs that you want him to start this week? Drop him and pick up a JAG that can get 10+ immediate carries

+ Did you draft him to be a wait and see RB on the back of your bench? Hold him. Nothing to see here.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I mean drop him and regret it later. 

The guy is hurt and was always gonna be a week 8 to the finish play. 

Read previous pages if you want to hear reasons why. They're all there. 

Question was in a shallow league. I can't waste a roster spot for potentially over half the season for what looks to be a JAG (who's hurt) in a three-headed committee. 

3 minutes ago, Prezkot said:

Akers was always going to be a draft and stash low-risk, high-upside rookie RB. His value is in being a bench piece that you get in early on in case he gets the reins mid-season (or earlier) and blows the lid off the fantasy playoffs. But there was always a risk that Brown/Henderson may seize the backfield for most of if not all of this season, letting Akers develop.

+ Did you draft him thinking he was going to be your immediate RB2? Drop him and pick up a JAG that can get 10+ immediate carries

+ Are you holding onto too many injured RBs that you want him to start this week? Drop him and pick up a JAG that can get 10+ immediate carries

+ Did you draft him to be a wait and see RB on the back of your bench? Hold him. Nothing to see here.

Good post but with the way the season has went, there's a lot of in-between scenarios.

I drafted him as a wait and see.  But with all the injuries, I may need him as a flex or even RB2.   But with the amount of injuries, it's hard to drop any RB with the potential to start.

Maybe it was a flukey Week 2 but there have been a ton of injuries already including Week 1.   I don't know if it's in anyway related to COVID and the lack of a full training camp or not.   I'm not convinced that these injuries won't continue to pile up.

Right now, I'm probably holding even though it reduces my chances of a Week 3 win.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, K197040 said:

Good post but with the way the season has went, there's a lot of in-between scenarios.

I drafted him as a wait and see.  But with all the injuries, I may need him as a flex or even RB2.   But with the amount of injuries, it's hard to drop any RB with the potential to start.

Maybe it was a flukey Week 2 but there have been a ton of injuries already including Week 1.   I don't know if it's in anyway related to COVID and the lack of a full training camp or not.   I'm not convinced that these injuries won't continue to pile up.

Right now, I'm probably holding even though it reduces my chances of a Week 3 win.

People get injured playing football. 

It's a thing that has happened forever. 

It is a thing that will happen forever as well. 

• Thanks 1

As teams drop him, I scoop him up. Not sure why people are running away from this guy. Clearly the Rams want to use him primarily. He just needs to get up to speed. If he can shake the injuries I'm sure people will be quite happy come playoff time.

• Like 1
On 9/22/2020 at 1:36 PM, FitzMagic said:

As teams drop him, I scoop him up. Not sure why people are running away from this guy. Clearly the Rams want to use him primarily. He just needs to get up to speed. If he can shake the injuries I'm sure people will be quite happy come playoff time.

this sounds like a good idea, just scooped mike davis off the WW and someone dropped Akers. I'll make the switch seeing i'm in it for the long run and Akers definitely provides more ROS value if he ever puts it all together. expectations are super low too since we would be getting him for free off the waivers rather than drafting him 6th round.

23 hours ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

Still see a better path to success with Akers than guys like Moss and Dobbins.  At least Akers isn’t getting vultured by his QB

Hope you're right, but I completely disagree. Moss and Dobbins have already been pretty heavily involved, Dobbins is clearly the most electric guy in that backfield, and is one injury away from being very relevant. 

The Bills made it clear they wanted Moss to be the 1A, and he's been the preferred guy in the redzone and will continue to be. 

Akers has looked the worst of the three, is already banged up (likely out), and would most likely need two injuries to be startable. He's a distant third in this group. 

• Like 1

Everything I read on this kid via the pundits was that he was not likely an immediate starter, but would likely be at some point in the season.  That he was the best back on the roster and that would push him to the lead role at some point.  I'm not sure that's changed 2 weeks into the season.  I would not cut this guy, and in fact, might target him in a trade as a stash.

How long does separated rib cartilage take to heal? A quick google search is saying anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks. Not that this will keep him out that long as I'm sure NFL team doctors can have him feeling just fine before kickoff. But he already didn't look great and I'd have to think as a rookie RB you're probably already a bit unsure of yourself hitting the hole even without a rib injury. Could still pay off long term but just wondering how severe something like this is?

2 hours ago, LongBalls said:

May look to buy low, but wouldn't give up much since he hasn't looked great when on the field and this looks like a potential season-long committee.

Stats show he faced far more stacked boxes than Brown. If I owned Akers right now in re-draft I'd likely have a going down with the ship mentality if someone was kicking the tires today. Ain't worth moving him. Take on someone else's trash? No thanks.