NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cam Akers 2020 Outlook

Thank God he had that long run. Hopefully that buys him more touches. 

In terms of how this plays out moving forward, I think it's a full blown committee barring injury. Akers will eat into Henderson's workload rendering both weak RB3s in plus matchups. 

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

18/130/3 5/50/1

Dropping him 3 weeks ago after holding all season is going to haunt me.

Akers takeover definitely did not happen this week.  

Posted Images

This is a guy that either, A. drags down your roster all year by being a black hole at the end of your bench; too good to drop, too bad to start, or B. dominates the 2nd half of the season and puts your team over the edge to win your league.

And there will be no in-between.  Good luck guesing which one it is.

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

This is a guy that either, A. drags down your roster all year by being a black hole at the end of your bench; too good to drop, too bad to start, or B. dominates the 2nd half of the season and puts your team over the edge to win your league.

Ill take the number 2 please, upsized

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting he's not really getting used in the receiving game. Maybe that will change as he gets more experience? Seems like Henderson and Brown are viewed more as the pass-catching options ... possibly due to protection issues.

Short of an injury to Henderson, I'm not sure I see anyone seizing control of the backfield. Looks like a slightly better performing Ravens situation.

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

I'd say there's about a 90% chance we're looking at A (barring injury). 

• Haha 1
On 10/12/2020 at 12:38 AM, Benjamin1984 said:

He had a 46 yard run. So 8 carries for 15 yards other then that. He's been awful this year other then that one run. It was a nice run though. I am beyond heavily invested now haha. Bought him up everywhere for nothing and treating as a stash and nothing more for now. People can't wait to get rid of this guy right now. Might as well grab him and see what happens.

Not only that, but it was in garbage time with the Rams up big late. On the one hand, Washington was playing pure run. So it's impressive to get anything there. But if you break through the initial wave, it also helps explain the 46 yards. Hard to really evaluate much here. Akers basically played in two series, and one was garbage time. So not a lot to really evaluate. Basically waiting for another game to better see...

2 minutes ago, nb009 said:

Least of my worries at this point, but I was shocked he was caught from behind by the lineman on his long run.

To be fair, Montez Sweat ran a 4.41 at the combine at 6'6" 262lbs

Edited by GeneralTsou
  • Like 2

Does anyone think Brown could/ will get phased out and it becomes a 2 man show between Akers and Henderson?  where both get consistent work but the “hot hand” will get more depending on the day?   Both would be valuable in that scenario. 

Brown is such a plodder, which doesn’t seem like a great fit for McVay’s offense.  I suppose worst case is what i described above, but with brown only coming in for short yardage and goal line work.  

I do think that if any of them win the job outright (or take a majority of the work), Akers is the most likely. So theres always that outcome to hold out for (or an injury of course).  

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Not only that, but it was in garbage time with the Rams up big late. On the one hand, Washington was playing pure run. So it's impressive to get anything there. But if you break through the initial wave, it also helps explain the 46 yards. Hard to really evaluate much here. Akers basically played in two series, and one was garbage time. So not a lot to really evaluate. Basically waiting for another game to better see...

he did more than just run through a hole and get to the second level untouched tho. He made a crazy side (almost backwards) step and made a few guys miss.  It wasnt like mark Ingrams only big run where he just ran through a big hole untouched. Granted it was only one run, but Akers showed something there. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cgu112 said:

Does anyone think Brown could/ will get phased out and it becomes a 2 man show between Akers and Henderson?  where both get consistent work but the “hot hand” will get more depending on the day?   Both would be valuable in that scenario. 

Brown is such a plodder, which doesn’t seem like a great fit for McVay’s offense.  I suppose worst case is what i described above, but with brown only coming in for short yardage and goal line work.  

I do think that if any of them win the job outright (or take a majority of the work), Akers is the most likely. So theres always that outcome to hold out for (or an injury of course).  

I think a full Akers takeover could happen any week. He was the starting RB weeks 1 and 2, the coaches want him to be the guy. McVay said he will be more involved this week, if he gets in a rhythm I do not think they will go away from him. Hendo will pick up the scraps.

• Haha 1

Patience grasshoppers.  Remember LA was down big early and went to their even-more-pass-happy-than-usual package.

And, it did not work.  Henderson is okay but Brown is pedestrian.  McVay is going to watch the tape of last night's game and realize he needs more Akers in his life.

• Haha 2