NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cam Akers 2020 Outlook

On 11/30/2020 at 7:27 PM, Spyplane said:

They didn't draft Akers high to split the carries evenly three ways. They've done that because Akers hasn't deserved more. That's my two cents.

Flip side, he can do more and earn more.

The definitely spent a draft pick to have him do more. He's still only 21 and has a lot of room to learn, similar to RoJo.  Have to remember this COVID year wasn't normal with preseason and Training Camp. These rookies are slowly catching up. 

Having said that I echo what was mentioned above - where is the passing game work?  I did like that they had him in a few times in the red zone - that is definitely promising.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

18/130/3 5/50/1

Dropping him 3 weeks ago after holding all season is going to haunt me.

Akers takeover definitely did not happen this week.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Texansfan said:

You going to trust him in the playoffs?  I think not!

You can't based on what we know at this point, but let's see what happens this week. If you happen to be fortunate to have a 1st round bye, you have the benefit of an added week of evaluation. 2 additional weeks of separation in this currently muddy backfield (no given, so the range of outcomes is wide) would put him on track to potentially be quite relevant down the stretch (Jets in week 15, Seahawks in week 16).

Ideal scenario: Akers gets a lot of run and the Rams win handily this week.  If that happens, he's definitely startable at home vs. NE who flies all the way across country and has the 4th worth run defense per DVOA (2nd worst overall defense adjusted for opponent).  NE defense is terrible.  Ignore ESPN defense rankings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, MBarbarian said:

Ideal scenario: Akers gets a lot of run and the Rams win handily this week.  If that happens, he's definitely startable at home vs. NE who flies all the way across country and has the 4th worth run defense per DVOA (2nd worst overall defense adjusted for opponent).  NE defense is terrible.  Ignore ESPN defense rankings.

Somewhat related question: I saw that accessing the full DVOA rankings requires a membership login now.  It also says we can get a free 7-day trial of FO+.  Did you need to sign up for a paid membership for access to the DVOA rankings beyond that 7-day FO+ trial?  Or do you have permanent access as a membership that's free?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

McVay is going to continue the RBBC and using all 3. If you are hoping for a Christmas miracle at this point, you have bigger problems. 

I agree, there has been a shiny "new" toy in the Rams backfield seemingly every other week and I'm not wasting time opening this one... again. 

Akers may be relevant down the stretch but it won't be league winning imo unless Henderson gets injured.  I think McVay has changed his stance, or maybe was able to take this approach, on a Bell cow back now that Gurley is gone. He has had the pleasure of watching the the RBBC from up north beat their a** for the last 4 times and why spend/invest in one when you can just draft and replace. 

7 hours ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

McVay is going to continue the RBBC and using all 3. If you are hoping for a Christmas miracle at this point, you have bigger problems. 

I feel like I often read some variation on this, and it's a bit glib. You can have a very good team but still hope for a Christmas miracle. It's when you NEED a Christmas miracle that you're in trouble.

Lots of people will be considering whether to pick up Akers in a bench spot and just see what happens. No matter how good your team is, if you suddenly have a young, hungry, talented RB given the lead role in weeks 15/16...and he's in your last FLEX spot? That's ace.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 12/2/2020 at 8:24 PM, leffe186 said:

I feel like I often read some variation on this, and it's a bit glib. You can have a very good team but still hope for a Christmas miracle. It's when you NEED a Christmas miracle that you're in trouble.

Lots of people will be considering whether to pick up Akers in a bench spot and just see what happens. No matter how good your team is, if you suddenly have a young, hungry, talented RB given the lead role in weeks 15/16...and he's in your last FLEX spot? That's ace.

Agreed...we're all looking for that "league winner that came out of nowhere". I'm trying to roster as many obscure players as possible to hopefully hit on one of them lol 

• Like 1
On 12/2/2020 at 11:16 AM, ZappB said:

Somewhat related question: I saw that accessing the full DVOA rankings requires a membership login now.  It also says we can get a free 7-day trial of FO+.  Did you need to sign up for a paid membership for access to the DVOA rankings beyond that 7-day FO+ trial?  Or do you have permanent access as a membership that's free?

No you just create a free account and get all their stats and articles.  No credit card necessary

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, DM45 said:

Is this guy worth a look this week? After the Jacobs injury I'm a bit desperate. 

Depends on league size really. Booker and Gore were still pretty widely available, I'd favor both over Akers. Beyond that, you'd probably give Akers the nod over the rest of the wire. 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, DM45 said:

Is this guy worth a look this week? After the Jacobs injury I'm a bit desperate. 

absolutely....from the looks of it, he’s slowly taking over this backfield game by game. McVay is starting to trust him more and more. Injury to Henderson or Brown in the next week or two could elevate him to the “league winner” discussions.

Edited by Tomei7

I wouldn't play him this week personally. This backfield remains murky and I'm not going to read too much into a game where Akers ripped off a nice run and then McVay rode the hot hand.

That said, I've got him stashed because why not. This is the time of year to hold onto some lottery tickets.

• Like 1

If you take out his 61-yard run because it was an outlier, he was 8-23 which is 2.88 ypc.  Henderson was at 1.9 ypc, Brown was at 1.25 ypc.  So, even after you take out the big run Akers still was 51% better than Henderson and 130% better than Brown.  I texted those numbers to Sean McVay and he immediately texted back "LEAGUE WINNER" (all caps). 

• Haha 4

What do y'all think about him next season? Assuming he continues to improve and establish himself as the RB1 in this offense, would the Rams start to shift away from the RBBC approach and feed him like Gurley? Or are Brown/Henderson going to continue to be a thorn in his fantasy-side? Obviously I know these aren't really questions that can be answered but I'm interested if anyone has thoughts about the overall backfield situation.

Seems like Akers will be very startable Week 15 against the Jets.

The Giants just ran 29 times for 188 yards against the Seahawks, so Akers is startable Week 16.

I'm a bit leary of Week 14 because Belichick owns Goff.