Cam Akers 2020 Outlook

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

18/130/3 5/50/1

Dropping him 3 weeks ago after holding all season is going to haunt me.

Akers takeover definitely did not happen this week.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, 33legend said:

Tomorrow is the audition for week 15 in my opinion. 

Yep - he should have a nice hold on the starting job if he shows out tomorrow, which would make him a pretty awesome FLEX at the very least in weeks 15-16.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Every year there's someone that drops a 40 bomb on TNF in the fantasy playoffs to ruin someones entire weekend.

tenor.gif?itemid=16943701

funny.  the reason i dont think im starting him is the thought of him dropping a 3.4 and having to stare at that all week until sunday.  if this game were on sunday, i think i would be more inclined to take a shot.

3 hours ago, herschel said:

funny.  the reason i dont think im starting him is the thought of him dropping a 3.4 and having to stare at that all week until sunday.  if this game were on sunday, i think i would be more inclined to take a shot.

Yeah looking at 3-5 points for 3 days isn’t the best feeling. Probably worse than looking at 20 on your bench so I get it. That being said, starting him should be benched on options not on TNF.

Tags, via his "Primer" ...

We watched Akers hit career-highs in snaps (63 percent) and carries (21) in Week 13, and though he did find the end zone, his touches weren’t all that efficient. He totaled 94 yards on 22 touches while Henderson notched the Cardinals for 74 total yards on just six touches. Still, it’s clear that Sean McVay wants to play the fresh rookie right now. Teams have chosen to run the ball 46.0 percent of the time against the Patriots, which ranks as the third-highest percentage in the league. Meanwhile, the Rams have the ninth-highest run rate at 43.5 percent, though that mark has been trending down as of late, as they’ve run the ball just 37.4 percent of the time over their last three games. While teams have run the ball a lot against the Patriots, they’ve still faced just 27.1 running back touches per game due to lack of overall plays (their opponents average just 59.8 plays per game). The Patriots have been the definition of an average defense against running backs, allowing 4.37 yards per attempt, 5.20 yards per target, and a touchdown every 32.5 touches. If we were to factor in their level of competition, running backs have averaged 0.9 more PPR points per game against the Patriots than they do in non-Patriots games, making it the 15th-best schedule-adjusted matchup. Now that Akers has 30 touches over the last six quarters while Henderson has just seven of them in that time, we have to believe it’s Akers who’s playable as a low-end RB2/high-end RB3, though I won’t pretend he doesn’t come with risk. McVay has legitimately said he wants to model his running game after Kyle Shanahan. Henderson should be considered a last-minute RB4 replacement who would need McVay to have a change of heart in order to have a shot to contribute.

• Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Tags, via his "Primer" ...

We watched Akers hit career-highs in snaps (63 percent) and carries (21) in Week 13, and though he did find the end zone, his touches weren’t all that efficient. He totaled 94 yards on 22 touches while Henderson notched the Cardinals for 74 total yards on just six touches. Still, it’s clear that Sean McVay wants to play the fresh rookie right now. Teams have chosen to run the ball 46.0 percent of the time against the Patriots, which ranks as the third-highest percentage in the league. Meanwhile, the Rams have the ninth-highest run rate at 43.5 percent, though that mark has been trending down as of late, as they’ve run the ball just 37.4 percent of the time over their last three games. While teams have run the ball a lot against the Patriots, they’ve still faced just 27.1 running back touches per game due to lack of overall plays (their opponents average just 59.8 plays per game). The Patriots have been the definition of an average defense against running backs, allowing 4.37 yards per attempt, 5.20 yards per target, and a touchdown every 32.5 touches. If we were to factor in their level of competition, running backs have averaged 0.9 more PPR points per game against the Patriots than they do in non-Patriots games, making it the 15th-best schedule-adjusted matchup. Now that Akers has 30 touches over the last six quarters while Henderson has just seven of them in that time, we have to believe it’s Akers who’s playable as a low-end RB2/high-end RB3, though I won’t pretend he doesn’t come with risk. McVay has legitimately said he wants to model his running game after Kyle Shanahan. Henderson should be considered a last-minute RB4 replacement who would need McVay to have a change of heart in order to have a shot to contribute.

Thanks for this... I had “Read The Primer for Rams-Pats” on my to-do list today; you’ve saved me the trouble.

Why do I still feel like Henderson is gonna be the better play here?  He’s been more efficient and the better pass-catcher.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, herschel said:

That's the worst feeling. I've been debating putting him in my FLEX all of my options are about the same crapshoot between him dobbins and hunt. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on Akers, but it'll be a long 3 days heading into Sunday if he lays a dud in the first round of the playoffs. It would make tonight's game exciting at least.

Starting him tonight after Gibson’s injury and the unknown status of Swift.

The DNP, limited, full practice pattern with no apparent injury indicates to me that he is now the guy. That’s workhorse treatment.

I expect a full workload, we’ll see what happens.

On 12/8/2020 at 4:28 PM, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Akers was steady, if unspectacular, for the most part ... but he was a grinder, got the tough yards, helped move the chains and milk the clock (the Rams had a 40 to 20 t.o.p. advantage).

ETA: 7 carries from inside the 10, but only 1 cash in ... gotta do better, lest Brown starts getting those calls again. 

This is good to know.. his ypc was a little low but knowing he was a chain mover goes a long ways and coaches appreciate a fresh set of downs instead of a RB who always tries to bounce and look for the big play. 

Yeah that was frustrating and concerning.. I wasn't able to watch but was keeping an eye on my game cast and saw he was getting worked at the goal line with no success. Tough to gauge because one would assume Zona was selling out for the run.. LA ran a PA to Higbee next time they were down there for an easy score. Would've been nice to find the end zone and earn a little more trust but agreed his prior TD carry was rather impressive. 

Is there anything he does that would widen the gap between him and Henderson moving forward? Better between the tackles.. in pass pro.. etc? It's interesting the same regime drafted two RBs in the second round in consecutive years so possibly there is something about Hendo's game they're not sold on. 

21 minutes ago, TeflonDonNewcombe said:

This is good to know.. his ypc was a little low but knowing he was a chain mover goes a long ways and coaches appreciate a fresh set of downs instead of a RB who always tries to bounce and look for the big play. 

Yeah that was frustrating and concerning.. I wasn't able to watch but was keeping an eye on my game cast and saw he was getting worked at the goal line with no success. Tough to gauge because one would assume Zona was selling out for the run.. LA ran a PA to Higbee next time they were down there for an easy score. Would've been nice to find the end zone and earn a little more trust but agreed his prior TD carry was rather impressive. 

Is there anything he does that would widen the gap between him and Henderson moving forward? Better between the tackles.. in pass pro.. etc? It's interesting the same regime drafted two RBs in the second round in consecutive years so possibly there is something about Hendo's game they're not sold on. 

Akers is a way better pass catcher than Hendo.

He also is bigger, faster, stronger, and displays better vision and patience than Henderson.

1 minute ago, iamkoza said:

it's premature to think this guy is going to get 60% of snaps again this week when it's only happened once. torn between him and dobbins (dobbins being the better talent but nearly indentical timeshare situations)

Dobbins is in a much worse time share in my opinion. But yeah, neither guy inspires much confidence.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

it's premature to think this guy is going to get 60% of snaps again this week when it's only happened once. torn between him and dobbins (dobbins being the better talent but nearly indentical timeshare situations)

I think I'm rolling Akers over both Hunt and Dobbins in my FLEX. I really don't feel great about any of them, but I'm rolling the dice that Akers is possibly the feature back now over playing the certain timeshares for both Dobbins and Hunt.

13 minutes ago, herschel said:

any updates on henderson injury or why he left the last game?  wasnt that why akers saw so many carries?

I was wondering about this because Henderson took the first 2 carries of the game, disappeared, but then he also came back and scored that 38 yard TD later in the game. Was Akers featured because of this? Is the plan to do a 50/50 timeshare like in the previous game against SF? Or is Henderson now the COP RB which seems to be a good role for him?

Edited by trolltoll
22 hours ago, 33legend said:

Tomorrow is the audition for week 15 in my opinion. 

I imagine a lot of people in here are Jacobs owners and with him being out dont have time for an audition. Sooooo. Greeeeeeeennnnnn Akers is the place for me. 

Just now, DM45 said:

I imagine a lot of people in here are Jacobs owners and with him being out dont have time for an audition. Sooooo. Greeeeeeeennnnnn Akers is the place for me. 

I'm pretty sure Raiders are now saying that they expect Jacobs back this week. Would look into that before you commit to our boy here.

• Like 1

I somehow own almost all committee backs, so I'm playing him over Mostert and Hunt. Mostly based on match-up. No way to predict touches/work with a lot of these guys. Tons of backfields like this kicking around this year. What they all have in common is upside.

Edited by LongBalls