Cam Akers 2020 Outlook

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

18/130/3 5/50/1

Dropping him 3 weeks ago after holding all season is going to haunt me.

Akers takeover definitely did not happen this week.  

Posted Images

3 hours ago, LongBalls said:

He was only started in 37% of Yahoo leagues; the fantasy analyst community has to take some ownership of the fact they actively talked down starting him all week.

Or a lot of the teams who owned him didn't make the playoffs and haven't bothered setting their team this week because they're out. 

Which is what I did. He's sitting on my bench in some bullshit consolation game. 

And in another league he's on someone else's bench in the same scenario. 

Holy hell, 171 yards rushing?!?  That’s insane.  Talk about a breakout.  If he keeps it up next week v NYJ it will hard to not start him week 16 v SEA.  Maybe over Dalvin! (vs NO #1 D).  

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content

This type of performance has to cement him as the lead/main back in this offense, right? Is there any chance the coaching staff could see this as an abberation and continue next week with the "hot hand" / RBBC approach they've used the whole year?

Maybe I'm just a little wary as a Jonathan Taylor owner, seeing the way the Colts have treated him. The week after he had 26 carries for 105 yards and a TD and looked like the lead back, they gave him only 13 carries (which he turned into 59 yards) against the Jets.

I know, different teams, different systems, but still wary (in regards to fantasy) with how some NFL coaches treat their rookie RB talent.

Edited by Barte

kid gets 10 days off, then a crack at the Jetsies ... the Rams D is best in the leeg atm, and the havoc they will wreak on that Gase offense is gonna be epic. 

ol' Green Akers is gonna be the place to be for those short fields and TD opps as a result. 

beer-1883107_924b4_hd.jpeg

What a nice late season surprise. I originally had him stashed as depth, but now he might be the guy to give you the extra boost in the playoffs to carry you to a championship. I wasn't planning on using him next week, but has he now earned the trust from you guys to feel confident relying on him going forward? I feel like if he gets the same usage next week he's an auto-start.

1 hour ago, GoPackGo23 said:

What a nice late season surprise. I originally had him stashed as depth, but now he might be the guy to give you the extra boost in the playoffs to carry you to a championship. I wasn't planning on using him next week, but has he now earned the trust from you guys to feel confident relying on him going forward? I feel like if he gets the same usage next week he's an auto-start.

absolutely earned the trust. 

29/172 is King Hendry/Cook usage level ... you don't put this genie back in the bottle after such dominance. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cleanface said:

Holy hell, 171 yards rushing?!?  That’s insane.  Talk about a breakout.  If he keeps it up next week v NYJ it will hard to not start him week 16 v SEA.  Maybe over Dalvin! (vs NO #1 D).  

Might just rage drop MSanders right now.  

Seattle D just got destroyed by Gallman and Morris. Akers is a must start weeks 15 and 16. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Barte said:

This type of performance has to cement him as the lead/main back in this offense, right? Is there any chance the coaching staff could see this as an abberation and continue next week with the "hot hand" / RBBC approach they've used the whole year?

Maybe I'm just a little wary as a Jonathan Taylor owner, seeing the way the Colts have treated him. The week after he had 26 carries for 105 yards and a TD and looked like the lead back, they gave him only 13 carries (which he turned into 59 yards) against the Jets.

I know, different teams, different systems, but still wary (in regards to fantasy) with how some NFL coaches treat their rookie RB talent.

I am also worried about this but lets be honest. There are very few backs who have a chance to get 20+ touches in any game. Even someone like Derrick Henry can have a bad day because of game script or good defense. 

He is a riskier play than the top guys (Henry, Jones, Robinson, Cook, Chubb etc) because of this uncertainty but can finish in that area going forward.

The holes created by the O-Line were huge but still think he looked good and has that big play ability which flashed in some games this season. 

He can win you some games and he is a must start. I would play him above the RB2s (Drake, CEH, Conner etc.) for sure.

3 hours ago, Barte said:

Handled 30+ touches. First Rams RB, nevermind any of Sean's, to eclipse that number of touches since Todd Gurley, in 2015. No other Rams RB this past half decade had as many touches. 

I think he'll be safe moving forward...

9 hours ago, Cardiak said:

Jets aren't a good matchup for rb's lately.

This Rams front 7, special teams, all world punting, and obsession with running the ball (look at Goff's tape the last 6 weeks, YIKES) is as good of a layup that you will get in fantasy football.

Granted, it is the NFL and anything can happen, like a Jets upset BUT in the face of all that we know, I'll take the other side of it. 

This was more of a trust week than anything. With McVay's unpredictability it was just a wait and see on Akers. I think many who did start him did so where there were not much better options, not because they believed in him that much. People can always Friday morning manage, but Akers was still a crap-shoot due to the uncertain nature of his role and it being a Thursday didn't help matters. There is still that psychological effect of staring at dud games for three days until Sunday. Moving forward into the last few weeks I think he is a safe play though. It seems the Rams are going to rely more on the run game of Akers with Henderson spelling him at times when Akers needs a breather or if the game is out of hand in their favor.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 2

The Jets matchup just got a whole lot easier with the firing of Gregg Williams imo. Williams is notorious for stacking the box and controlling the LOS to the detriment of his pass D, putting his corners on islands (as we saw at the end of the LV game). He almost always takes a strong run D with him wherever he goes. The team could stick to his philosophies for the last quarter of the season, but I could see this being an easier matchup than the Jets have been this year.

9 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

This was more of a trust week than anything. With McVay's unpredictability it was just a wait and see on Akers. I think many who did start him did so where there were not much better options, not because they believed in him that much. People can always Friday morning manage, but Akers was still a crap-shoot due to the uncertain nature of his role and it being a Thursday didn't help matters. There is still that psychological effect of staring at dud games for three days until Sunday.

giphy.gif

Absolutely stoked watching Akers explode last night.

But we've seen this movie before. Huge game, must start against the worst team in the NFL during the fantasy semifinals. Everyone rolls him out there and he puts up 8/47/0 or something.

I want to belieeeeeeeve.