Cam Akers 2020 Outlook

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

18/130/3 5/50/1

Dropping him 3 weeks ago after holding all season is going to haunt me.

Akers takeover definitely did not happen this week.  

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

Absolutely stoked watching Akers explode last night.

But we've seen this movie before. Huge game, must start against the worst team in the NFL during the fantasy semifinals. Everyone rolls him out there and he puts up 8/47/0 or something.

I want to belieeeeeeeve.

He had 29 carries.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

I'm always scurred.

But yeah, I'm playing the **** out of him next week.

Ha, don't blame you. I'm still not 100% confident either but after him getting so many carries I'm not going to blame myself if I play him next week and he suddenly splits with Henderson or something strange. Gotta go off the info we have.

Akers slid into my RB2 after Hunt has been in there all season long.

Honestly did not have high expectations and was just hoping for a TD. 

As someone mentioned earlier, the Jets matchup is not as easy as you think, but he's become a must-start now.

8 hours ago, buckets88 said:

Would you pick him ahead of Taylor?

I may be somewhat falling for the "limited sample size" thing, but Taylor has basically been the lead back all season and I think the massive hype surrounding his draft profile simply hasn't fully materialized. On the other hand, Akers has blown away expectations in his limited bell cow opportunities. And we know McVay can support a bell cow having seen Gurley.

If I'm drafting for next year now, I'm taking Akers as early as late first round, and I probably don't consider Taylor till the third round (I get that he may be gone by then and that's fine by me).

Edit: more than any other position, with RBs you can pretty much tell right away whether they are gonna be studs. It's unlikely for a running back to be a non stud given opportunity, then come back to be a stud in later seasons. So I'm confident ranking Taylor behind Akers.

Edited by young dude
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

As someone mentioned earlier, the Jets matchup is not as easy as you think

checking the Jets sched out ... they have not faced one legit bellcow type RB all year ... closest was Drake in week 5, but he was outpointed by Edmonds. 

we do, however, have a mirror team comparision to hold up against the Rams, and that would be the 49ers ... both extremely close in offensive & team coaching philosophy.

in week 2, SFO gashed the Jetsies for 182 on the ground, with MostHurt going 8/92, and Jet checking in with 3/77.

now, factor in the Jetsies of week 15 are: packing it in, on the road, fired D coordinator, facing a better defense atm than SFO in week 2, etc. 

they're a decent D against the run, sure ... but last time they saw sledgehammers like this they were effin' steamrolled. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, blazehound said:

Would work if his team colors were green. Like David Akers. 

Accordingly this comment is null and void.

The field is green 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, buckets88 said:

Congrats to who started him.. unfortunately i had to bench him over Jacobs, Taylor and Gallman.

I would start him over ALL of those. Best running offense in the league, 21 carries the week before, easy matchup = success...

2 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

This was more of a trust week than anything. With McVay's unpredictability it was just a wait and see on Akers. I think many who did start him did so where there were not much better options, not because they believed in him that much. People can always Friday morning manage, but Akers was still a crap-shoot due to the uncertain nature of his role and it being a Thursday didn't help matters. There is still that psychological effect of staring at dud games for three days until Sunday. Moving forward into the last few weeks I think he is a safe play though. It seems the Rams are going to rely more on the run game of Akers with Henderson spelling him at times when Akers needs a breather or if the game is out of hand in their favor.

I've always believed in this dude. I started him in all of my leagues, if u watched last Rams game and didn't started akers against this s---y Pats D Shame on you...

• Like 2

"The offensive line is the reason the run game was so successful tonight, in my opinion,” Akers told reporters postgame. “Those guys got great push every time we ran the ball, and it showed. The run game was very successful tonight, and we want to keep stacking blocks.”

And really gotta like when the coach says things like this:

“I think he’s really started with the way that he’s practicing,” head coach Sean McVay said. “He’s a creative runner. He can put his shoulder down, he can finish, he’s got the explosive speed. You can just see this guy is going to be a special player. This was a great night for him. Really happy for Cam (Akers) and his teammates.”

🎳
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Barte said:

This type of performance has to cement him as the lead/main back in this offense, right? Is there any chance the coaching staff could see this as an abberation and continue next week with the "hot hand" / RBBC approach they've used the whole year?

Maybe I'm just a little wary as a Jonathan Taylor owner, seeing the way the Colts have treated him. The week after he had 26 carries for 105 yards and a TD and looked like the lead back, they gave him only 13 carries (which he turned into 59 yards) against the Jets.

I know, different teams, different systems, but still wary (in regards to fantasy) with how some NFL coaches treat their rookie RB talent.

There’s no chance they go back to an RBBC. Henderson and Brown cannot run the outside zone with the vision, patience, and burst that Akers can. Without the outside zone, all of the counters, play-action bootlegs, and screens that the entire McVay offense is built upon are non-functional. Henderson is a straight-line, one speed, full steam ahead rusher and Henderson is a JAG. They will ride pine.

• Like 1

I think it's telling how even when the game was almost over and they wanted to run the clock out he kept going to Akers. This was his bellcow tryout and he knocked it outa the park, leading them to a big W, Mcvay happy with the performance rewared him with extra touches. Could be way off base but that's how I saw it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

... would you settle for 89%?

🤔

yes. thrilled actually, just acquired him in dynasty so excited for 2021.

still was really odd to me... for a guy who was using all 3 in a committee the entire year to just stick with one for 31 touches. i personally dont think henderson is a bum and i dont think he is that much worse (if at all) than akers. so to basically not play henderson was very bizarre. hell, henderson's only work came on a few plays after akers had a big run and needed a breather

Edited by iamkoza
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

yes. thrilled actually, just acquired him in dynasty so excited for 2021.

still was really odd to me... for a guy who was using all 3 in a committee the entire year to just stick with one for 31 touches. i personally dont think henderson is a bum and i dont think he is that much worse (if at all) than akers. so to basically not play henderson was very bizarre. hell, henderson's only work came on a few plays after akers had a big run and needed a breather

I find it bizarre that DH didn’t get any touches because I don’t think he’s a bum either. Maybe Henderson is still banged up and they don’t want to overuse him. Akers shoulder injury scared me this week and didn’t think he’d get this kind of volume on a short week.

1 minute ago, sSektor said:

Legitimately thought he was going to break off a long run every time he touched the ball. How bad is Seattles run D? Week 16 looks like a championship winning matchup on paper for Akers.

Better than their pass D. But I'm not sure it matters.

11 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

checking the Jets sched out ... they have not faced one legit bellcow type RB all year ... closest was Drake in week 5, but he was outpointed by Edmonds. 

we do, however, have a mirror team comparision to hold up against the Rams, and that would be the 49ers ... both extremely close in offensive & team coaching philosophy.

in week 2, SFO gashed the Jetsies for 182 on the ground, with MostHurt going 8/92, and Jet checking in with 3/77.

now, factor in the Jetsies of week 15 are: packing it in, on the road, fired D coordinator, facing a better defense atm than SFO in week 2, etc. 

they're a decent D against the run, sure ... but last time they saw sledgehammers like this they were effin' steamrolled. 

It’s all of this.. and the fact that the Jets universally are almost dead last in every other defensive statistic. So no duh they are only like 10th worst against RBs. You can’t rank last at everything. For them to be any lower against the run they would have to be allowing like 700 yards a game. 

So i don’t think the Jets ring D is all that great, they are just so terrible at stopping the pass. This might make the Rams throw more than this Thursday.. but they are still pounding the rock plenty. 

• Thanks 1