NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cam Akers 2020 Outlook

I took him in the 4th round in 2 ffpc leagues so he better be useful.Also took him as my rb1 in a 16 team auction league where all the high end rb were going for like 45 percent and 50 percent of budget.To be fair in that 16 team league i also took malcom brown fo a dollar and henderson for 3 dollars to lock up this cruddy backfield.

To keep this akers related the rams used their first pick when they have a lot of team needs on this rb.If he does not get 70 percent of the work by end of sept it was a stupid pick. Then again rams front office is highly overrated and has been saved by sean mcvay.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

18/130/3 5/50/1

Dropping him 3 weeks ago after holding all season is going to haunt me.

Akers takeover definitely did not happen this week.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Maybe I am in the wrong, but I thought it was widely known that Gurley had a knee that would never wear well (arthritic condition) when they handed him that foolish deal? I think he would be more sour about that, if he had a hand in it? Not that Gurley didn't crush it, he certainly did...but the risks with him were not just discovered in hindsight either.

Anyway, few backs can get it done all by themselves anymore. This feels like pre-season coach fluff, talking everyone up etc. I mean I always thought John Kelly could get it done, but how can he even say that about him when all he's done is mothball the dude? And Brown is the walking definition of JAG. The cream will rise here, but I am all about pushing Akers value down to get him in more spots, so keep em coming McVay.

I get what you’re saying.

With no preseason it pretty much comes down to if you think he will win the starting job or not. My opinion is even if he wins the starting job he may still not do well by fantasy standards with how bad their offensive line is. 

If you believe in him then his adp (6th or 7th round) is worth the price. I just think betting on him winning the job and also being successful is a reach. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I think the Rams are a dumpster fire this year. They're on the decline while the other division foes are ascending or have ascended. Not a great O-line, Goff and McVay are frauds, and the RB situation isn't settled. I'll say that RB is the easiest position to transition to (look at Drake being traded mid-season), so Akers does have a shot at some upside. If he starts catching passes, yeah, it'll be a solid value. I kind of see Akers as Fournette west - bad team but can get volume and maybe inefficient receiving. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Personally I think the Rams are a dumpster fire this year. They're on the decline while the other division foes are ascending or have ascended. Not a great O-line, Goff and McVay are frauds, and the RB situation isn't settled. I'll say that RB is the easiest position to transition to (look at Drake being traded mid-season), so Akers does have a shot at some upside. If he starts catching passes, yeah, it'll be a solid value. I kind of see Akers as Fournette west - bad team but can get volume and maybe inefficient receiving. 

I think this is how the general public is feeling, could be an opportunity for a ton of value on this offense as a contrarian play.

FWIW - The combination of offensive linemen used in weeks 11 through 17 (Whitworth-Corbett-Blythe-Edwards-Evans) really helped stabilize the offense, after it significantly struggled for the first half+ of the season.

IMO, the demise of the Rams' OL & offense as a whole has been greatly exaggerated. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, smeeze said:

I think this is how the general public is feeling, could be an opportunity for a ton of value on this offense as a contrarian play.

FWIW - The combination of offensive linemen used in weeks 11 through 17 (Whitworth-Corbett-Blythe-Edwards-Evans) really helped stabilize the offense, after it significantly struggled for the first half+ of the season.

IMO, the demise of the Rams' OL & offense as a whole has been greatly exaggerated. 

Yes and no. I dont see this offense scoring 500 points again like it did in 2017 and 18. At the same time I expect Goff, Woods and Kupp to all be good this season.

The OL is still going to be bad. I like Akers but with talk of RBBC, and a bad OL Im not touching him at his current price. The Rams didnt even draft one O-lineman which Im surprised they didnt get enough flak for.

20 hours ago, Evincar said:

Yes and no. I dont see this offense scoring 500 points again like it did in 2017 and 18. At the same time I expect Goff, Woods and Kupp to all be good this season.

The OL is still going to be bad. I like Akers but with talk of RBBC, and a bad OL Im not touching him at his current price. The Rams didnt even draft one O-lineman which Im surprised they didnt get enough flak for.

? rb28 half ppr, adp 85, consensus 74 overall,  high of adp 74 overall yahoo. maybe those numbers arent what ur seeing in other platforms/drafts?

that seems more than reasonable

Edited by colepenhagen
54 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

? rb28 half ppr, adp 85, consensus 74 overall,  high of adp 74 overall yahoo. maybe those numbers arent what ur seeing in other platforms/drafts?

that seems more than reasonable

Fantasypros has him listed with a ECR of 65. I rather have some WRs like Hollywood, Boyd, Landry or even a QB like Wilson in that range.

On 7/22/2020 at 11:04 AM, PlayTheWaivers said:

You do realize that they were a missed FG away from being in the playoffs last year with a revolving door offensive line? If they can get some consistency from that group, they should be fine. Not sure why people are assuming the offense is going to fall off a cliff when it's ended 10th, 2nd, and 3rd in PPG since Mcvay took the job. 

I know I'm in the minority of people who think that Goff has serious talent (needs to fix his mental a little), but saying Mcvay is a fraud is very, very dumb. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, afl5013 said:

You do realize that they were a missed FG away from being in the playoffs last year with a revolving door offensive line? If they can get some consistency from that group, they should be fine. Not sure why people are assuming the offense is going to fall off a cliff when it's ended 10th, 2nd, and 3rd in PPG since Mcvay took the job. 

I know I'm in the minority of people who think that Goff has serious talent (needs to fix his mental a little), but saying Mcvay is a fraud is very, very dumb. 

If you think McVay is a good coach, yet they lost on the road to Pittsburgh's roulette of QBs, got destroyed by Baltimore (and I mean destroyed) on their home turf, got obliterated by Dallas in Dallas, but beat up on a crap Arizona team two of the last 5 games, then that's your prerogative.

Goff is who he is at this point- he needs the headset or else he doesn't know how to improvise. McVay may not be a full fraud, but he hasn't been good since getting owned by the Pats.

Yes- they played the 49ers close, but divisional games can always go like this.

Gurley was effective as a RB1/2 last year on sheer volume and TDs, so it's possible Akers can match it. He's probably worth fetching at that mid-round price, but I'm not expecting a league-winner.

Not about Akers, but I drafted Goff last year in the middle rounds of my big money league thinking I got a steal. Especially after watching that Rams/Chiefs MNF game. Man, I was I disappointed. In hindsight, I think he got exposed by the Patriots in the SB, which I at the time just chalked up to inexperience and nerves. But, I think other teams followed that same game plan in 2019 to basically make him look like a back-up QB. He did somewhat get his game back towards the end of the season, but I'm out on him moving forward. At least as a #1 fantasy QB. Maybe as a back-up. But yeah, I think he has McVay to thank for most of his success (as well as that outrageous contract he got). JMHO...

4 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

If you think McVay is a good coach, yet they lost on the road to Pittsburgh's roulette of QBs, got destroyed by Baltimore (and I mean destroyed) on their home turf, got obliterated by Dallas in Dallas, but beat up on a crap Arizona team two of the last 5 games, then that's your prerogative.

Goff is who he is at this point- he needs the headset or else he doesn't know how to improvise. McVay may not be a full fraud, but he hasn't been good since getting owned by the Pats.

I think mcvay is very good. He might be a touch overrated as a HC but certainly no fraud and an excellent Offensive mind. You can’t have a fraud QB and fraud play caller and have success. Either the QB bales out the coach like Rodgers did for so many years with McCarthy or the coach makes the QBs look better than they are like Kyle shanahan and every QB he has ever had. If they were both frauds ones ineptitude would compound off the other like the jay cutler and every bears coach ever. Mark Trestman calls stupid play, jay cutler makes equally stupid decision which leads to interceptions and lost games. Not Super Bowl appearances. 

don’t forget he took a consistently 7-9 or 8-8 team from Jeff fisher and with nearly the same exact team took them to the playoffs in year 1 and got better each year until the Super Bowl loss. Goff was going to be considered one of the biggest busts of all time right next to Jamarcus Russell. Then one year later he’s 3800 yards 28 TDs and only 7 ints 

Todd gurley couldn’t get 1000 yards the year before mcvay gets there then he’s an MVP candidate.

Robert woods never had 700 yards in a season before mcvay now he’s a stud. 

Mcvay is a good offensive coach and if cam Akers is as good as I think he is he will produce big sooner than later. 

• Like 7
7 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Gurley was effective as a RB1/2 last year on sheer volume and TDs, so it's possible Akers can match it. He's probably worth fetching at that mid-round price, but I'm not expecting a league-winner.

I mean, you can't argue against being top 10 in PPG every year in your coaching career. If you watched the games, you'd understand why those games went that way. The Steelers pass rush was WAY too much for the Rams OL. The Ravens were a MUCH better team (physically and mentally). I'll give you Dallas, but you're box score level argument tells a false narrative.

Goff is 25 years old. You're letting recency bias cloud your judgement, and that's impossible to argue against so were going to have to just move on from that one. 

This isn't even saying that Akers is a good value, but the Rams RB will score points. We just have no idea if that will be Akers or Henderson or Brown or a combination of the three. If we knew that one guy was getting the work, I'd be all over them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anything change here in the last few weeks?

I'm considering reaching on Akers.  If I could get 75% of Gurley pre-knees then that's worth a 3rd rounder at least for the cost of a 6th.

Henderson is still young and was slated to do big things last year going into season when everyone was saying Gurley was washed up (lol), but he more or less did nothing.

Brown didn't do much, but he was effective at punching it in close to the goal line.  I've rostered RBs that were only used between the 20s before and that was an extremely frustrating situation to deal with and I won't do it again.

Are these guys serious road blocks to Akers or guys easily dismissed?

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

If I could get 75% of Gurley pre-knees

One of the narratives on what happened with Gurley in 2019 was that the Rams O-line was carp.

They'll definitely need to improve that for Akers to succeed - but personally I did draft Akers, and I hope they do. I consider McVay a smart coach, so...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Anything change here in the last few weeks?

I'm considering reaching on Akers.  If I could get 75% of Gurley pre-knees then that's worth a 3rd rounder at least for the cost of a 6th.

Henderson is still young and was slated to do big things last year going into season when everyone was saying Gurley was washed up (lol), but he more or less did nothing.

Brown didn't do much, but he was effective at punching it in close to the goal line.  I've rostered RBs that were only used between the 20s before and that was an extremely frustrating situation to deal with and I won't do it again.

Are these guys serious road blocks to Akers or guys easily dismissed?

No they are not as long as Akers is legit and is decent in pass block.

Brown is the typical JAG NFL RB. Decent in pass protection and doesn't make too many mistakes but he isn't anything special and is really just a dude that knows the system. I personally don't have much faith in Henderson. His vision is pretty bad, he dances too much, and while theres questions about Akers pass blocking Henderson was awful. 

So if Akers shows up I doubt those guys will force some kind of split. The only way we see a split is if Akers doesn't show up.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2020 at 11:51 AM, PlayTheWaivers said:

So good coaches never lose games they shouldn't? Or never get blown out? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

So good coaches never lose games they shouldn't? Or never get blown out? 

Yeah seems like an unfair appraisal of a coach whose 33-15 career record was made on a franchise that hadn't had a winning season for 14 years before he showed up

• Like 5
5 hours ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Yeah seems like an unfair appraisal of a coach whose 33-15 career record was made on a franchise that hadn't had a winning season for 14 years before he showed up

On the top of that, Goff was drafted before McVay was hired so he didnt have any say in choosing his starting QB. He's a good coach but he's not some messiah or coaching royalty.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Evincar said:

On the top of that, Goff was drafted before McVay was hired so he didnt have any say in choosing his starting QB. He's a good coach but he's not some messiah or coaching royalty.

True and given that he had no hand in selecting Goff, developing him is further evidence of McVay's coaching competence, salvaging a viable if limited starting QB out of what was shaping up to be an epic bust. In the wake of the SB LIII horror it's easy to forget that McVay got Goff two Pro Bowl selections. Obviously Goff is not actually that good so the credit must accrue to the guy who put him in a position to succeed.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Agreed. It was a pretty hard-line stance to take, considering EVERY great coach lost games they shouldn't...every. single. one. 

Imagine actually thinking McVay isn't a good coach.

in his first year he takes one of the worst teams in the league and leads them to 11 wins and their first winning season in damn near 20 years. In his second year he leads them to the Super Bowl. However, he suddenly isn't good because they miss the playoffs in his 3rd year? A year in which they STILL had a winning record despite playing in the toughest division in the NFL while being plagued by injuries most of the year. 

Give me a break. That's recency bias in overdrive. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Imagine actually thinking McVay isn't a good coach.

in his first year he takes one of the worst teams in the league and leads them to 11 wins and their first winning season in damn near 20 years. In his second year he leads them to the Super Bowl. However, he suddenly isn't good because they miss the playoffs in his 3rd year? A year in which they STILL had a winning record despite playing in the toughest division in the NFL while being plagued by injuries most of the year. 

Give me a break. That's recency bias in overdrive. 

Yeah. Really hard to follow the logic in the belief that he isn't a good coach. Took them from a losing franchise to the SB in two years...though that was straight up highway robbery from my Saints. Lol. But that's another debate, lol. Dude's a good coach, but even the best coaches will look average and lose games if the GM doesn't provide him with at least a solid OL. 

One of my favorite targets this year, people are being incredibly short-sighted with the Rams offense.

Just last summer the Rams were this year's Chiefs - the most exciting offense in the league with a young smart offensive playcaller and lots of weapons.  Moreover, the RB situation was thought to be the best in the entire league as even CJ Anderson stepped in and won people leagues when Gurley went down.

Seems incredibly dubious that the offense is suddenly a dumpster fire with an unfriendly RB situation after one down year following a SB losss.  Sure the OL may not be as good but we're also pretty bad at predicting OL play year to year.  The playcaller and RB friendly system are still there.  Maybe its not 2018 level but I feel very, very good saying it'll be better than last year.

• Like 1