Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cam Akers 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

I do not there there will "be a guy" all year. After following the situation all year I think Akers gets 12-15 touches every week and will be used like Cohen, Sproles but be more effective.

 

Just my 2 cents but McVey is going to employ every set of legs he has depending on the circumstances

 

I do think Akers is a PPR flex must start every week, and half the time should be RB2 like

 

Just my opinion though

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

18/130/3 5/50/1

Dropping him 3 weeks ago after holding all season is going to haunt me.

Akers takeover definitely did not happen this week.  

Posted Images

Figured i'd get ahead of the unavoidable overreactions. Rookie RBs today:

Dobbins behind the best running team in the NFL - 7/22 3.1 YPC

Taylor behind an elite line - 9/22 2.4 YPC

Zach Moss - 9/11 - 1.2 YPC

Swift - 3/8 2.7 YPC

Point being, rookie RBs were pretty terrible rushing the ball across the board. Sure Dobbins got into the endzone a few teams and Taylor caught some passes but all of them were underwhelming when called upon to run. It's almost as if no preseason and a short camp makes it tougher for rookie backs.

Akers got more touches than all of these guys. Brown looked...fine. That's all. Yes he looked better than Akers but Brown is a veteran that's been around for over half a decade and Akers is a rookie in the most bizzare season ever. The Rams clearly like Akers and if you drafted any rookie RB expecting huge numbers right out the gate then that's on you. With their feet under them I would expect at least Dobbins, Taylor (especially with no Mack), and Akers to start to establish themselves as the best backs on the roster. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Klientel said:

I hate to say it but Brown is the guy here and should be the guy going forward. The offense looked much better with him in the game. There is no point in splitting with Akers

A 5 year vet looked better than the rookie in the first game of a season with zero preseason and a shortened camp. Shocker.

Brown has been around for 5 years and doesn't even have a career YPC of 4. This forum after the first week of football is at its worst.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

A 5 year vet looked better than the rookie in the first game of a season with zero preseason and a shortened camp. Shocker.

Brown has been around for 5 years and doesn't even have a career YPC of 4. This forum after the first week of football is at its worst.


 

197 career carries in a backup role is a small sample size. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

A 5 year vet looked better than the rookie in the first game of a season with zero preseason and a shortened camp. Shocker.

Brown has been around for 5 years and doesn't even have a career YPC of 4. This forum after the first week of football is at its worst.


i don’t know- stranger things have happened and vets can sometimes shine when given proper opportunity (and knowing that Gurley is officially gone is a pretty big weight off of the teams shoulders.) Akers is a rookie and brown will do what he can to hold onto the role- he looked good today doing so and I’m bummed that browns on our waivers since now we have to spend to get him. This could be browns best game of the year, like last years game 1, but what if we’re wrong and he’s a solid rb2 or when rb1 all year? Then Akers is a handcuff.

ill try to buy low on Akers but only if I feel ok at the RB spot...

Link to post
Share on other sites

My concern isn't so much with Brown having the far better game, although it certainly wasn't ideal. 

It's that Brown looked much better, and Akers looked like a textbook JAG. Akers looked like a guy who could be physical in college but is too small for it to work against NFL size. He looked extremely ordinary.

Barring injury I don't see him emerging as a viable starter this year. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 7:43 PM, smeeze said:

The San Fran RBBC was only an RBBC because they had a bunch of mediocre options. When Mostert separated himself from the pack towards then end of the season + playoffs, well it wasn’t really a committee at that point.

If McVay wanted a committee with Brown & Henderson last year, why did he give Gurley (bum knee and all) the lion’s share of the work? Because Brown & Henderson aren’t very good. Could Hendo improve? Maybe. Probably. If Akers proves he’s the best option, I believe McVay won’t hesitate to give him all the work he can handle.

Don’t listen to what coaches say, look at where teams invest draft pick capital. 

Oh ok 🧐

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Figured i'd get ahead of the unavoidable overreactions. Rookie RBs today:

Dobbins behind the best running team in the NFL - 7/22 3.1 YPC

Taylor behind an elite line - 9/22 2.4 YPC

Zach Moss - 9/11 - 1.2 YPC

Swift - 3/8 2.7 YPC

Point being, rookie RBs were pretty terrible rushing the ball across the board. Sure Dobbins got into the endzone a few teams and Taylor caught some passes but all of them were underwhelming when called upon to run. It's almost as if no preseason and a short camp makes it tougher for rookie backs.

Akers got more touches than all of these guys. Brown looked...fine. That's all. Yes he looked better than Akers but Brown is a veteran that's been around for over half a decade and Akers is a rookie in the most bizzare season ever. The Rams clearly like Akers and if you drafted any rookie RB expecting huge numbers right out the gate then that's on you. With their feet under them I would expect at least Dobbins, Taylor (especially with no Mack), and Akers to start to establish themselves as the best backs on the roster. 

What about James Robinson and Clyde Edwards-Helaire?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Judging by the extreme overreaction on this thread, should be an easy buy low from reactionary owners, or even a FA pickup when they panic drop him.

Why is it necessarily buy low? This may not be the low. Next week is another big inflection point. Another disappointment like yesterday and the market for him will get smaller and less generous. I plan on holding but I wouldn't blame anyone for bailing if they get offered a player who can help them now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

he did say today and helaire didnt't play 

robinson was under 4 ypc nothing too crazy i'll take it tho since i started him 

 

you alo left out MACHINE RUN KELLEY - 12/60/1 in pretty much only half a game (he didn't get his first carry til late first half, went 10/53/1 in the second half)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dannyz6969 said:

what a bum team. why bother spending a high draft pick on a guy just to have malcolm brown tote the rock over him? akers is automatic rage drop in most leagues


It was one game... 

You honestly thought he would come out and get a full workload? Have you read any of the news on him leading up to the game?

He'll be a buy low in a few weeks (or now if it's low enough) and will have a Miles Sanders-esque end to the season. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dannyz6969 said:

what a bum team. why bother spending a high draft pick on a guy just to have malcolm brown tote the rock over him? akers is automatic rage drop in most leagues

I remember having the same feeling back in 2017 when I drafted Alvin Kamara and rage dropped him after his trash week 1 performance. He went on to have a great rookie year. 

Be patient grasshopper

Edited by HTXMade
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...