NBC Sports Edge Forums

Antonio Gibson 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man do I LOVE this thread... these posters come in weekly to try and throw water on Gibson then immediately get embarrassed the following week. See you around 8 tonight, get ready to eat. 

Listen, I'm going to have to agree with the "realists" in here. Take away all three of his touchowns, his 7 targets, 5 receptions, and his four longest runs and he is JAG. Not really seeing anything s

I see the "realists" are putting on the full court press ahead of this game against Pittsburgh. I saw the same EXACT narrative for James Robinson last week who (by the way) bowling balled his way to 1

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

The Fantasy Footballers are very much against hoarding faab for late season claims, and I agree with their rationale. The impact faab pickups are early in the season, and those are the ones that potentially affect the greatest portion of your season. 

Depends on if you even need the player.  If your roster is solid, you could have even better success holding onto your FAAB if you're able to land a player in the last 25% of the season who is breaking out and fresh because they weren't playing the first half of the season.  Could help you cross the finish line strong.

2 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

I pretty much always hold my faab money and blow it for one person. In your case, I don’t see the point in having just $37 remaining if you had won. That won’t be enough for a competitive bid, so it’s just a bunch of scraps the remainder of the way anyway. 

If you're playing defensive matchups or kicker matchups, having some spare change at the end of the season can indeed be useful.

Even if it's just to roster 3 viable defenses to keep your playoff opponent from using them against you.

I spend what I think is necessary when it comes to landing impact players. That might mean all of my FAB and it could come as early as week one. In my league we're allowed to trade FAB to another team provided it doesn't send them past the original starting amount.

Just now, Spyplane said:

I spend what I think is necessary when it comes to landing impact players. That might mean all of my FAB and it could come as early as week one. In my league we're allowed to trade FAB to another team provided it doesn't send them past the original starting amount.

That can be manipulated by a single team spending FAAB, then trading low-tier players to buy more from another team, then spending it again, then trading more low-tier players to buy more from another team, then spending it again.

Idea is to siphon off FAAB from enough other teams and then leave yourself with the original amount.  If you can drain the league of all the FAAB dollars essentially, you can get multiple players later in the season with ease.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-college-football-2020-nfl-draft-superlatives-running-backs

SLEEPER: ANTONIO GIBSON, MEMPHIS

Honorable Mentions: Raymond Calais, Louisiana & James Robinson, Illinois State

I’m not sure how many are still sleeping on Gibson after he posted a 4.39-second 40-yard dash time while weighing 228 pounds at the Combine. With only 78 touches in his Memphis career, though, Gibson still qualifies. It’s not only that he can run fast, but also that he’s a nightmare to bring down. On those 78 touches, he broke 33 tackles and averaged 11.2 yards per carry and 19.0 yards per reception. I have no clue why he didn’t play more, but Gibson is a certified freak.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Accidentally auto-drafted him tonight when I was in the bathroom. Hopefully that pick wasn't wasted. 

Best accident of your life...  could have accidentally drafted jordan howard... or David Montgomery or Ron jones

We'll call this divine intervention 

Edited by hard1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
49 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Best accident of your life...  could have accidentally drafted jordan howard... or David Montgomery or Ron jones

We'll call this divine intervention 

Wouldn't he be in a timeshare? Or do you believe he will be the workhorse?

22 minutes ago, jjbooda said:

Likely committee in some form however if he is the real deal, River Boat Ron is not a guy who typically uses RBBC.  

Pretty sure he was prior to the arrival of CMC. But I didn’t go look it up. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, oresteszero said:

Wouldn't he be in a timeshare? Or do you believe he will be the workhorse?

Well the only other running backs listed are JD McKissic who was like 3rd string for the Lions last year and Bryce Love who can't seem to not be hurt and the team says still needs a couple of months to get fully 'right'. I'd say he's gonna get PLENTY of dial ups immediately. The hope is Ekeler early season 2019 with those receiving skills.

Edited by MrPositive
20 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Well the only other running backs listed are JD McKissic who was like 3rd string for the Lions last year and Bryce Love who can't seem to not be hurt and the team says still needs a couple of months to get fully 'right'. I'd say he's gonna get PLENTY of dial ups immediately. The hope is Ekeler early season 2019 with those receiving skills.

And Peyton Barber, who is currently listed as the starter. 

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

And Peyton Barber, who is currently listed as the starter. 

Yes, and Peyton Barber who is so plodding and bad I didn't even mention. I don't see where Barber is listed as the starter. On ESPN depth charts, Barber is listed as 3rd string and Rotoworld depth charts doesn't list him at all. Gibson is listed as the starter on both. Shrug

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/wsh

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/teams/was/washington-football-team/depth-chart

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Yes, and Peyton Barber who is so plodding and bad I didn't even mention. I don't see where Barber is listed as the starter. On ESPN depth charts, Barber is listed as 3rd string and Rotoworld depth charts doesn't list him at all. Shrug

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/teams/was/washington-football-team/depth-chart

I always use ourlads.com for depth charts. 

And yes, Barber is uninspiring, but he’s the “safe” start right now for Rivera. I don’t view him as much of a roadblock if Gibson is everything the staff has billed him to be, but he does offer them the chance to ease Gibson into whatever role they envision for him. Barber will probably get 14-16 touches this weekend, if I had to guess. 

28 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

And yes, Barber is uninspiring, but he’s the “safe” start right now for Rivera. I don’t view him as much of a roadblock if Gibson is everything the staff has billed him to be, but he does offer them the chance to ease Gibson into whatever role they envision for him. Barber will probably get 14-16 touches this weekend, if I had to guess. 

NFL depth charts themselves list Gibson as the starter. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/WAS/washington-football-team/depth-chart/  The only way dirty as hell Barber sees that many touches (obviously he'll get a few along with Love) is if they've  already thought about tanking for Trevor, which frankly they could be if they know Haskins has made no improvements and is a bust. Gibson and McLaurin are the only playmakers on this roster.

Edited by TennisDude
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Fair enough, but why cut AP if that's the case? I think I'd still rather have him than Barber if I'm looking for a little vet stability out of a plodder.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TennisDude said:

NFL depth charts themselves list Gibson as the starter. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/WAS/washington-football-team/depth-chart/  The only way dirty as hell Barber sees that many touches (obviously he'll get a few along with Love) is if they've  already thought about tanking for Trevor, which frankly they could be if they know Haskins has made no improvements and is a bust. Gibson and McLaurin are the only playmakers on this roster.

That's what I'm thinking. I mean this team has only 2 players that can really make something happen on the field. If they actually want to win games, they need to be creative and get the ball in this kid's hands 15 times or they will lose every game, and that needs to happen even in Game 1, or especially game 1

7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Pretty sure he was prior to the arrival of CMC. But I didn’t go look it up. 

Yeah he definitely was... dwill jstew the worst offender... but barber is neither except a thorn...gibson is no ron jones though...

6 hours ago, MrPositive said:

Yes, and Peyton Barber who is so plodding and bad I didn't even mention. I don't see where Barber is listed as the starter. On ESPN depth charts, Barber is listed as 3rd string and Rotoworld depth charts doesn't list him at all. Gibson is listed as the starter on both. Shrug

Barber does suck and probably won't be startable in fantasy, but this isn't the Barber thread so who cares. In the context of Gibson, he will eat up a lot of between the tackle carries because Gibson is not even remotely ready to be a workhorse NFL running back. Gibson can be fantasy relevant but he's not stepping into a huge workload like some people in this thread seem to think. That's really in Gibson's best interests for fantasy anyways. I don't know how long this guy would last pounding the ball an entire NFL game after carrying it about 30 times his whole college career.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Barber does suck and probably won't be startable in fantasy, but this isn't the Barber thread so who cares. In the context of Gibson, he will eat up a lot of between the tackle carries because Gibson is not even remotely ready to be a workhorse NFL running back. Gibson can be fantasy relevant but he's not stepping into a huge workload like some people in this thread seem to think. That's really in Gibson's best interests for fantasy anyways. I don't know how long this guy would last pounding the ball an entire NFL game after carrying it about 30 times his whole college career.

Well really honestly we just don't know. Rivera said he had  "a skill set like CMac" this week. Obviously, CMac does run to the tackles at times, but Gibson could take the Ekeler approach of the modern receiving running back and run out wide, get quick slants, line up in the slot, screens, reverses and all kinds of crazy ways of getting him the ball.Maybe he only has to run through the tackles a couple times a game, or maybe he doesn't at all. We got no pre-season to see these rookie running backs, so we are in a much bigger fog than usual. Regardless, what I do know is that Washington is not going to win many games if any if Barber is a major player on the field.

Edited by MrPositive
5 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Well really honestly we just don't know. Rivera said he had  "a skill set like CMac". Obviously, CMac does run to the tackles at times, but Gibson could take the Ekeler approach of the modern receiving running back and run out wide, get quick slants, line up in the slot, screens, reverses and all kinds of crazy ways of getting him the ball.Maybe he only has to run through the tackles a couple times a game, or maybe he doesn't at all. We got no pre-season to see these rookie running backs, so we are in a much bigger fog than usual. Regardless, what I do know is that Washington is not going to win many games if any if Barber is a major player on the field.

33 broken tackles on 70-something rushing attempts. 6'1", 220 lbs. 16 bench presses at the combine. 4.27 jets. He can run between the tackles better than Barber. This is laughable,  really\.

• Like 1