NBC Sports Edge Forums

Antonio Gibson 2020 Outlook

18 minutes ago, Drewfus said:

Did they move Gibson into the slot on those 3rd downs, or were they both in the backfield? It sounded like WFT had plans to move Gibson all over the place. 

In the slot/out wide. He's their second best receiver so hopefully those plans materialize. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man do I LOVE this thread... these posters come in weekly to try and throw water on Gibson then immediately get embarrassed the following week. See you around 8 tonight, get ready to eat. 

Listen, I'm going to have to agree with the "realists" in here. Take away all three of his touchowns, his 7 targets, 5 receptions, and his four longest runs and he is JAG. Not really seeing anything s

I see the "realists" are putting on the full court press ahead of this game against Pittsburgh. I saw the same EXACT narrative for James Robinson last week who (by the way) bowling balled his way to 1

Posted Images

On 9/25/2020 at 4:15 PM, Jon21 said:

Feel like Gibson is either going to get more carries as the season go on or get none once Bryce Love is 100%.

It will be the former. He's one of their only weapons. They need to start leaning on him more, rookie or not. 

2 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I don’t know why they are throwing the ******** ball so much with Haskins...he needs easier throws and they need to lean on Gibson and the run game with their good defense...so dumb 

Haskins is. Young goat that’s why...

Yeah, was tempted to roll him out this week but had better options. Feels like we're nearly there. Tough matchup this week, but three decent-looking matchups into the bye, then three nice matchups afterwards. Hopefully by the time the tough games return he'll be established.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

Yeah, was tempted to roll him out this week but had better options. Feels like we're nearly there. Tough matchup this week, but three decent-looking matchups into the bye, then three nice matchups afterwards. Hopefully by the time the tough games return he'll be established.

Absolutely zero chance I start him against the Ravens next week. 

• Like 1

Another week where Peyton Barber is essentially a non-factor is a good week. However, I still don’t see how you could be comfortable starting him with Haskins out there driving gamescripts the wrong direction. They need to give him the ball in space. Imagine if they gave him the kind of usage Miami gives Gaskin. That kind of usage could still be coming but it’s not there yet and there’s no guarantee it ever comes. For a team that will struggle to move the ball downfield, a touchdown dependent RB exactly dripping with upside.

Ron Rivera came out and called Haskin's performance unacceptable basically. The problem is I do not know if that helps. Are we really happier with Kyle Allen? Can Alex Smith really ever be an NFL QB again? Saw a photo of his leg the other day that leads me to believe probably not. I love Gibson as a talent, but unsure of where his upside can be at this point.

12 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

Ron Rivera came out and called Haskin's performance unacceptable basically. The problem is I do not know if that helps. Are we really happier with Kyle Allen? Can Alex Smith really ever be an NFL QB again? Saw a photo of his leg the other day that leads me to believe probably not. I love Gibson as a talent, but unsure of where his upside can be at this point.

I'm not saying Gibson is CMC, but look at what CMC did with Kyle Allen under center. Yes I would be happy.

2 minutes ago, collucho said:

I'm not saying Gibson is CMC, but look at what CMC did with Kyle Allen under center. Yes I would be happy.

Fair point. I did consider that, but I feel like it just is not in the offensive gameplan to throw to the RBs. I am not sure how much of that is on Haskins vs. on the scheme at the moment.

34 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

Fair point. I did consider that, but I feel like it just is not in the offensive gameplan to throw to the RBs. I am not sure how much of that is on Haskins vs. on the scheme at the moment.

That's a question on my mind too. You'd think they'd try to do that more to get the ball out quicker due to their shoddy O-line, plus the complete lack of receiving threats outside of Terry.

1 hour ago, MMLSU said:

Scheme or not, this is on the QB. While he might be the 3rd or 4th read on some plays (never not an option unless specifically assigned to blocking), if the QB is competent and isn't finding open men on the 1st/2nd read (not convinced Haskins makes it past 1st read), he shouldn't be forcing it. Haskins is forcing balls and getting intercepted. A more competent QB would spread the ball to where he can gain advantage, and that might mean 3rd/4th read.

Allen has experience tossing to CMC, so he knows to look. Haskins hasn't ever had someone competent to truly catch passes on a regular basis out of the backfield. Allen can only help.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Vendetta said:

That's a question on my mind too. You'd think they'd try to do that more to get the ball out quicker due to their shoddy O-line, plus the complete lack of receiving threats outside of Terry.

Plus, this is the coaching staff that worked cmc so much in the passing game last year.  They even compared Gibson to cmc.  On his way out, AP said that's the kind of back they want.  Headscratcher.

Edited by ccimore
Add
4 minutes ago, TheDude4bides said:

Scheme or not, this is on the QB. While he might be the 3rd or 4th read on some plays (never not an option unless specifically assigned to blocking), if the QB is competent and isn't finding open men on the 1st/2nd read (not convinced Haskins makes it past 1st read), he shouldn't be forcing it. Haskins is forcing balls and getting intercepted. A more competent QB would spread the ball to where he can gain advantage, and that might mean 3rd/4th read.

Allen has experience tossing to CMC, so he knows to look. Haskins hasn't ever had someone competent to truly catch passes on a regular basis out of the backfield. Allen can only help.

Fair point, but not sure I completely agree it's on Haskins. Allen of course looked to check down to McCaffrey because CMac was oftentimes the first or second read there. The coaching staff expecting Haskins to go through his progressions and hitting his 4th read out of the backfield to me is on the coaching. Haskins is not that good, that much is obvious, but then it is on the coaching staff to make the RBs a focal point to get the ball out of Haskins' hands quicker. I also think it is important to point out that the O-Line is not good and they did not give Haskins weapons to work without outside of McLaurin and we are hoping Gibson. Dontrelle Inman? Isaiah Wright? There second option is a bad QB playing as a mediocre tight end. Bad all around.

Next two weeks might be rough. Hopefully Haskins is benched just in time for the schedule to open up though. Weeks 6-12 = NYG x2, DAL x2, DET, CIN. Keep him simmering on your bench unless your desperate, could be ready to go as a legit RB2 in a few weeks. 

No chatter about his game today? He went 13-46-1/4-82-0 against the Ravens. Seventeen touches is definitely an encouraging thing to see compared to McKissic’s nine (seven receptions) and Barber’s three. 

• Thanks 1