NBC Sports Edge Forums

Antonio Gibson 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man do I LOVE this thread... these posters come in weekly to try and throw water on Gibson then immediately get embarrassed the following week. See you around 8 tonight, get ready to eat. 

Listen, I'm going to have to agree with the "realists" in here. Take away all three of his touchowns, his 7 targets, 5 receptions, and his four longest runs and he is JAG. Not really seeing anything s

I see the "realists" are putting on the full court press ahead of this game against Pittsburgh. I saw the same EXACT narrative for James Robinson last week who (by the way) bowling balled his way to 1

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Spyplane said:

Unsure why a lot of "gurus" aren't hot for this guy this week.

Maybe because the Giants' D is pretty decent and because Gibson did so-so in the earlier matchup this year. But the experts were also high on Hasty, so...

15 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

Maybe because the Giants' D is pretty decent and because Gibson did so-so in the earlier matchup this year. But the experts were also high on Hasty, so...

Stats show the Giants are mid-tier against the run in PPR. They've been smashed a few times this year. Gibson crushed it last week, the Skins took him high with hopes he would look like last week. I expect them to try to keep that going.

4 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Stats show the Giants are mid-tier against the run in PPR. They've been smashed a few times this year. Gibson crushed it last week, the Skins took him high with hopes he would look like last week. I expect them to try to keep that going.

He had a good game last game but it was vs. DAL, which should probably be viewed a bit differently than other games. Look at what everyone has done against them all year, even Kenyan Drake. The game just before that was vs. the Giants, where he went 9 for 30 on the ground (plus a few catches).

I'm a believer in his talent (was really sad to let him go in a recent trade) and do think the arrow is pointing up coming out of the bye; he could be flirting with RB1 upside if he keeps up the improvement on the ground while getting some targets again.

Edited by Vendetta
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

He had a good game last game but it was vs. DAL, which should probably be viewed a bit differently than other games. Look at what everyone has done against them all year, even Kenyan Drake. The game just before that was vs. the Giants, where he went 9 for 30 on the ground (plus a few catches).

I'm a believer in his talent (was really sad to let him go in a recent trade) and do think the arrow is pointing up coming out of the bye; he could be flirting with RB1 upside if he keeps up the improvement on the ground while getting some targets again.

I don't agree. If he bombed then this thread would be filled with doom. 

He boomed and the Giants stink. The Skins should be up of close in it. Lots of carries.

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

I don't agree. If he bombed then this thread would be filled with doom. 

He boomed and the Giants stink. The Skins should be up of close in it. Lots of carries.

You don't agree that he has RB1 upside? If you can't tell, I'm complimenting the same player you're trying to tout.

By the way, the game script in week 6 vs. the Giants favored keeping him involved as it was close; for whatever reason he still only had 9 carries. The Giants may stink, but so does WFT. :)

43 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

You don't agree that he has RB1 upside? If you can't tell, I'm complimenting the same player you're trying to tout.

By the way, the game script in week 6 vs. the Giants favored keeping him involved as it was close; for whatever reason he still only had 9 carries. The Giants may stink, but so does WFT. :)

My bad, I only meant to quote your first line and disagree with that. He deserve credit for his big day because if he bombed he would have gotten slammed. There must be balance, that's my point.

38 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

My bad, I only meant to quote your first line and disagree with that. He deserve credit for his big day because if he bombed he would have gotten slammed. There must be balance, that's my point.

No worries - I'm a big believer in the talent, and he definitely would have been criticized if he didn't boom like he did vs. DAL. Hopefully they up his snaps coming out of the bye... at the very least there's almost no reason they should be trotting Barber on the field. Playing Gibson and McKissic together and lining one of them out wide sometimes probably makes sense too given their dearth of talent at WR.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Will wind up being the best RB in the 2020 class

I like Gibson, but D'Andre Swift looks better to me.  He's stuck in a similar situation as Gibson.

And then you possibly have the even stronger case of that undrafted free agent playing for Jacksonville.

I've been back and forwards on him. I do believe in the talent, I'm just not sure if WFT will go back to a split backfield and he'll end up getting 14 touches. You think they'd feed him if they knew what's best, but teams just don't do that sometimes. 

Just now, WVFalcon said:

I've been back and forwards on him. I do believe in the talent, I'm just not sure if WFT will go back to a split backfield and he'll end up getting 14 touches. You think they'd feed him if they knew what's best, but teams just don't do that sometimes. 

Featuring Gibson is probably conducive to more wins, which may be something WFT doesn't want too many of this year. :)

20 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Will wind up being the best RB in the 2020 class

11 minutes ago, fbi314159 said:

I like Gibson, but D'Andre Swift looks better to me.  He's stuck in a similar situation as Gibson.

And then you possibly have the even stronger case of that undrafted free agent playing for Jacksonville.

and that guy in Baltimore who just put 100+ yards on the Steelers.

1 hour ago, fbi314159 said:

Not me. Gibson is really just learning the RB position. He glides through holes reminds me of Arian Foster running style up the middle. I think he’s equally if not even more explosive than Swift. Only time will tell this one. James Robinson is a great story this year but his talent is not on the level of these 2. I think Gibson and Swift can be superstars for a long time albeit I favor Gibson slightly. Dobbins definitely in the conversation as well

Edited by BxBOMBERs28
49 minutes ago, scheibler said:

Alex smith taking over is going to suck. He literally only looks to throw to JD, it's annoying

McKissic is the only back on the field when they’re behind. AG is entirely gamescript-dependent. NYG was supposed to be a smash spot due to favorable game script, but they fell behind early and he hardly saw the field in the 2nd half except to punch it in at the goal line. 

5 minutes ago, varock said:

McKissic is the only back on the field when they’re behind. AG is entirely gamescript-dependent. NYG was supposed to be a smash spot due to favorable game script, but they fell behind early and he hardly saw the field in the 2nd half except to punch it in at the goal line. 

Which is absolutely bizarre considering Gibson’s ability as a receiver.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Which is absolutely bizarre considering Gibson’s ability as a receiver.

Yea, no kidding. McKissic’s emergence has been downright frustrating and I doubt they deviate from the formula anytime soon. Gibson has gone from a dynamic playmaker that just needs open spaces to the early-down bruiser back. Makes no sense. 

I don't get the aversion to using Gibson in passing situations either--he is a converted receiver after all.

The only thing I can think of is that he isn't good in pass protection (I don't get to see a lot of his games), or they feel bad for McKissic and want to keep him involved.

His schedule the next 3 weeks is very favorable. Even if he is just used as a runner I think he’s in for some good weeks. He’s not been killing your team, still see’s most of the goal line work.

I can live with that and there is always the possibility he gets turned loose a little more towards the end of the season.