NBC Sports Edge Forums

Antonio Gibson 2020 Outlook

4 hours ago, varock said:

Yea, no kidding. McKissic’s emergence has been downright frustrating and I doubt they deviate from the formula anytime soon. Gibson has gone from a dynamic playmaker that just needs open spaces to the early-down bruiser back. Makes no sense. 

The craziest part is I literally saw McKissic fall down 3 times on routes, one caused an interception. I just don’t understand the fascination Rivera has with this guy. When Gibson plays bigger things happen. It’s maddening watching Redskins games and owning him. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man do I LOVE this thread... these posters come in weekly to try and throw water on Gibson then immediately get embarrassed the following week. See you around 8 tonight, get ready to eat. 

Listen, I'm going to have to agree with the "realists" in here. Take away all three of his touchowns, his 7 targets, 5 receptions, and his four longest runs and he is JAG. Not really seeing anything s

I see the "realists" are putting on the full court press ahead of this game against Pittsburgh. I saw the same EXACT narrative for James Robinson last week who (by the way) bowling balled his way to 1

Posted Images

5 hours ago, MrPositive said:

The craziest part is I literally saw McKissic fall down 3 times on routes, one caused an interception. I just don’t understand the fascination Rivera has with this guy. When Gibson plays bigger things happen. It’s maddening watching Redskins games and owning him. 

Rivera probably reads Rotoworld and is very concerned about his lack of college rushing attempts, like a lot of people here.

1. WTF was down 10-0 at the end of the 1st Q. 
  2. WTF was down 20-3 at the end of the 2nd Q.

Gibson's usage in this game appears to be due to how poorly WTF defense handled the Giants. They got caught sleeping and so Captain Checkdown was asked to save the day, checking down the bad guys almost into submission; throwing it 32 times over three quarters. 

McKissic's forte is catching out of the backfield, its his niche that keeps him in the league and so this week the worst case scenario played out... The Checkdown signal was beamed into the sky and the dynamic duo sprung into action with a devastating, massive flurry of spectacular 1-5 yard passes. Pow, pow, pow.

Every week won't be like this and possibly Gibson gets a little more involved in the passing game as he continues to improve. If WTF got out to the early lead then its an entirely different game for Gibson. It is what it is.

3 hours ago, Spyplane said:

McKissic's forte is catching out of the backfield, its his niche that keeps him in the league and so this week the worst case scenario played out...

I think most of us realize that this is what is occurring.  We are questioning how hard it is to catch a ball in the backfield that this could be considered a "forte".  Especially when the guy who does the majority of the running is a converted receiver.

1 hour ago, fbi314159 said:

I think most of us realize that this is what is occurring.  We are questioning how hard it is to catch a ball in the backfield that this could be considered a "forte".  Especially when the guy who does the majority of the running is a converted receiver.

Do you think most of those 14 targets were play calls for Smith to drop back and shuttle it off to McKissic for a couple yards? Or is it possible that the play call was a lot more elaborate than that... And possibly the head coach doesn't much care that you started Gibson on your fantasy team?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, InVINCEable said:

When are these guys ever going to be in the lead? Great matchup next week against DET, but again, I expect them to be playing from behind. He only had 6 attempts yesterday...that touchdown saved us from a disaster. 

It all comes down to perspective. Gibson has been productive most of the season but how he ended up on your team likely influences your opinion of him and how he's being used. I got him for nothing. I'm really happy. He's been a solid FLEX with serious upside. The track record this year says he's getting about 14 touches most games and for a lot of us, that's what we were really hoping for back in August. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Do you think most of those 14 targets were play calls for Smith to drop back and shuttle it off to McKissic for a couple yards? Or is it possible that the play call was a lot more elaborate than that... And possibly the head coach doesn't much care that you started Gibson on your fantasy team?

There was nothing elaborate going on. The Giants were playing way off the line and McKissic was just camping underneath the coverage so that’s what Smith took to keep the ball moving. He was wide open the entire 2nd half. 

43 minutes ago, SundayGravy said:

There was nothing elaborate going on. The Giants were playing way off the line and McKissic was just camping underneath the coverage so that’s what Smith took to keep the ball moving. He was wide open the entire 2nd half. 

Yeah. They were limiting options to reduce effectiveness on offense. That's everyone's goal on defense at that basic level. 14 check downs to McKissic isn't beating anyone. Mission accomplished.

Edited by Spyplane
8 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Yeah. They were limiting options to reduce effectiveness on offense. That's everyone he's goal on defense at that basic level. 14 check downs to McKissic isn't beating anyone. Mission accomplished.

You take what you get when you’re playing from behind and you have a qb that’s not capable of taking chances downfield. It almost worked for them. They got back in the game. 

Hey guys. Everyone keeps mentioning Gibson's ability as a WR--which is great and all, but he is a RB now. Maybe McKissic is in because Gibson is not a good blocker in the backfield? I think the coaching staff is aware that he can catch the ball, but if he can't block, he won't be in for pass catching situations. I drafted him in the 6th in PPR, so I (had) have high expectations, but real football comes before fantasy. Would do us all some good to remember that.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Spyplane said:

It all comes down to perspective. Gibson has been productive most of the season but how he ended up on your team likely influences your opinion of him and how he's being used. I got him for nothing. I'm really happy. He's been a solid FLEX with serious upside. The track record this year says he's getting about 14 touches most games and for a lot of us, that's what we were really hoping for back in August. 

That’s for sure. His draft cost skyrocketed 1-2 weeks before the season. I think he was a 5th/6th round pick by the time the season began.  Anyone who paid that for him is peeved.

7 hours ago, FeastMode said:

That’s for sure. His draft cost skyrocketed 1-2 weeks before the season. I think he was a 5th/6th round pick by the time the season began.  Anyone who paid that for him is peeved.

All that said, he's the RB15 in PPR at this moment. If they don't like him then they likely have a half week to a full week to sell the dream on some other team before the trade deadline. 

5 hours ago, Spyplane said:

All that said, he's the RB15 in PPR at this moment. If they don't like him then they likely have a half week to a full week to sell the dream on some other team before the trade deadline. 

He's 15th in 1/2 PPR, too. That's pretty impressive considering how much McKissic has been used.

• Like 1

Sounds like Gibson’s under-utilization in the passing game is part of the plan, to avoid putting too much on his plate too soon. It’s disappointing for now, but they clearly see Gibson as their guy and dynasty owners are probably looking at an explosive do-it-all back next season, if not sooner.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/why-isnt-antonio-gibson-seeing-more-third-down-snaps-scott-turner-explains

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, InVINCEable said:

He didn't practice yesterday. Anything to worry about? 

Until we see him in practice, yes.  Keep an eye on the injury reports.  If he has another DNP it isn't a good sign for him playing this week.

At the moment, I am only 20% worried.

Edited by fbi314159