NBC Sports Edge Forums

Antonio Gibson 2020 Outlook

Ok I love me some Gibson but what is this nonsense 'most of us got him for free' claim that has been spouted in here. He went 9th round in my draft and I know he was creeping up to the 6th round in drafts that happened closer to the start of the season. 

Regardless he has been amazing and is certainly a guy I'd love to draft next season especially since his pass blocking chops will be greatly improved from how he started this season and should be in line for more pass work.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man do I LOVE this thread... these posters come in weekly to try and throw water on Gibson then immediately get embarrassed the following week. See you around 8 tonight, get ready to eat. 

Listen, I'm going to have to agree with the "realists" in here. Take away all three of his touchowns, his 7 targets, 5 receptions, and his four longest runs and he is JAG. Not really seeing anything s

I see the "realists" are putting on the full court press ahead of this game against Pittsburgh. I saw the same EXACT narrative for James Robinson last week who (by the way) bowling balled his way to 1

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Ok I love me some Gibson but what is this nonsense 'most of us got him for free' claim that has been spouted in here. He went 9th round in my draft and I know he was creeping up to the 6th round in drafts that happened closer to the start of the season. 

Regardless he has been amazing and is certainly a guy I'd love to draft next season especially since his pass blocking chops will be greatly improved from how he started this season and should be in line for more pass work.

Draft earlier. If you took him in round nine he's still playing well above where you took him, so...

• Haha 1

I think Swift and Gibson are/were in very similar situations.  They're both apparently talented rookies playing behind veterans.  It looks like Patricia has finally seen the light (knock on wood) and has finally decided to give Swift the majority of snaps/touches.  Once he did, he exploded for 150 scrimmage yards and a touchdown.

Gibson had a nice fantasy day this week thanks to the two touchdowns.  Unfortunately for those who own him, McKissic (the clear present and future star of their team) out-snapped him a whopping 70% to 38%.

Perhaps coincidentally, Swift and Detroit beat McKissic and the WFT...

Sometime the WFT's love affair with McKissic makes you go WTF.

Edited by fbi314159
3 hours ago, Spyplane said:

He's on pace for 183 carries, 46 receptions, 1,134 total yards and 12 TDs. In PPR that translates to 234 points and that would rank him 12th at the RB position based on last year's stats and 11th based on 2018 stats.

Most of us got him for free or cheap and still the complaints. I must be playing this for different reasons than some people. I play to enjoy it and win in the process. 

It's because we're tantalized by the possibility and lack the necessary patience once we get into the throes of the season. And tbh, it's hard to see McKissic getting 14 and 15 targets when we know that one of Gibson's greatest strengths coming into the NFL was his receiving ability. Even though I want to see him get more targets, I am very happy with the progress he's made so far and the process of him becoming an NFL RB. But I also have the luxury of not having to play Gibson very much, whereas other owners may be relying on him as a weekly RB2. That creates impatience and frustration in owners who are trying battle for playoff positions, and understandably so. 

WFT went with some two-back sets this weekend. Gibson actually saw the field on 3rd down and if that continues, I do expect the touches to trend up. I think they’re starting to play to Alex Smith’s strengths and it bodes well for Gibson to finally be getting some check downs. It’s a much better outlook than him being phased out completely due to negative game script.

He should be game script proof based on his background... im telling you mckissic rise to use has coincided with a smith... cause when Kyle Allen was in use jd didn't hardly see the field... those two got something going on some sort of 2nd string club

1 hour ago, hard1 said:

He should be game script proof based on his background... im telling you mckissic rise to use has coincided with a smith... cause when Kyle Allen was in use jd didn't hardly see the field... those two got something going on some sort of 2nd string club

I doubt it, but it also coincide with the BYE week.  Before the BYE, they were getting approximately an even number of snaps.  After the BYE week, McKissic has gotten an 83% and 70% snap count to Gibson's 46% and 38%.  They're also overlapping on 10-20% of the snaps (which they were not previously).

Snap count is in the play-caller's (probably the offensive coordinate Gruden's) hands not the QB's.  The QB may lobby for someone, but ultimately it's not his call who is on the field.

Edited by fbi314159

Can we get a reporter to troll the Washington coaches at a press conference? 

"Are you guys disappointed you didn't get McKissic involved enough in the passing game? Do you plan to feed him next week or give him this week's pathetic workload?"

"McKissic is clearly the best back on the team.  Do you think he is the best in the NFL?"

"Is Antonio Gibson's nickname 'Stone Hands' or 'No Hands'?  Did he even catch the ball once in college?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
13 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

It's because we're tantalized by the possibility and lack the necessary patience once we get into the throes of the season. And tbh, it's hard to see McKissic getting 14 and 15 targets when we know that one of Gibson's greatest strengths coming into the NFL was his receiving ability. Even though I want to see him get more targets, I am very happy with the progress he's made so far and the process of him becoming an NFL RB. But I also have the luxury of not having to play Gibson very much, whereas other owners may be relying on him as a weekly RB2. That creates impatience and frustration in owners who are trying battle for playoff positions, and understandably so. 

If people are in that boat (I am myself in one league) its not due to Gibson or Washington's coaches. Its due to bad luck elsewhere or bad decisions (actions or lack thereof). 

13 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, that's how fantasy footbal works essentially. You cry if you don't get something and if you get something you cry that you didn't get more 🤷‍♂️

I also think that you can be frustrated over a players situation without having fantasy stock in them. Maybe because you are a fan of a specific player/team.

And all those things aside, a team that targets McKissic 15 times in a game, is not a team that's gonna win many games. So that's outrageous by itself.

Via FantasyPros.com:

Did Washington realize the potential that this offense has by going to Gibson more than McKissic last week? Sure, McKissic is a fine third-down back who can mix in more when needed, but Gibson can be a game-changer. The great news is that they used Gibson while in a two-touchdown deficit and that decision helped bring them back to tie the game. If we don't have to worry about gamescript with Gibson, he'd be worth a lot more in fantasy. McKissic still got 15 touches, so we're not in the clear just yet, but this could've been a turning point. Against the Bengals, running backs have been targeted just 14.2 percent of the time, which is the second-lowest number in the league, so it'll be interesting to see if Smith turns into a check-down machine again. There have been seven running backs who've totaled at least 75 yards on the ground against them, and that's despite just six running backs totaling more than 13 carries. Every running back who reached 14-plus carries totaled 75-plus yards on the ground alone, which is where Gibson needs to make his mark. Unfortunately, Gibson has topped 13 carries just once this season, when he rushed for 128 yards and a touchdown against the Cowboys. Despite his lack of carries, Gibson has recorded seven rushing touchdowns in his last eight games, including four of them over his last three games. He's also broke the ninth-most tackles on the ground, so we'll continue to root for more work. Knowing the Bengals allow a massive 27.8 points per game to their opponents, we'll bet on Gibson finding his way into the end zone again. Play him as a mid-to-high-end RB2 who's ascending.

• Like 1

This is the worst, this just screams Mike McCarthy and the free Aaron jones era. Both Gibson and swift remind me of the season were Aaron jones didn’t break out until late in the season.  
Thank you 🗑 coaches 

10 minutes ago, HOF12 said:

This is the worst, this just screams Mike McCarthy and the free Aaron jones era. Both Gibson and swift remind me of the season were Aaron jones didn’t break out until late in the season.  
Thank you 🗑 coaches 

The system seems to usually be the gatekeeper. Submission to the system and execution of the system seems to open the gate. That's just my two cents from what I've seen in the NFL.

43 minutes ago, HOF12 said:

Thank you 🗑 coaches 

He's raw, he's raw, he's raw. It seems we constantly forget this. This is a guy who is still learning how to play the RB position. Not just to be an NFL RB, but how to play the RB position, period. His time will come, but frankly, I think Rivera and Turner are doing this the right way...ease him into this rather than just throwing him in. They're teaching the young man how to swim in the NFL rather than just walking him to the deep end and pushing him in. This is not a kid with 300, 400, or more carries in college transitioning to the NFL. If you expected him to be a bellcow with 18-20 touches per game midway through his rookie season, then that's on you for expectations that were too high. 

Entire offense should run through McLaurin with Gibson getting touches as well with everyone else being a distant after thought, McKissic getting 14 targets or whatever he got was insanity, not to mention they were giving him carries as well. 

Edited by CroNY
9 minutes ago, CroNY said:

Entire offense should run through McLaurin with Gibson getting touches as well with everyone else being a distant after thought, McKissic getting 14 targets or whatever he got was insanity, not to mention they were giving him carries as well. 

In a vacuum, I agree. But I think Rivera is playing the long game here because he knows that WFT is going nowhere this season. I'd expect to see Gibson start getting more touches as the season wears on and enter the 2021 season as the guy getting the lion's share of the RB touches...as long as he continues to progress in all phases of the game. 

Despite all of this, Gibson is currently an RB1 in my half PPR league (ranked 11th). 

35 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

He's raw, he's raw, he's raw. It seems we constantly forget this. This is a guy who is still learning how to play the RB position. Not just to be an NFL RB, but how to play the RB position, period. His time will come, but frankly, I think Rivera and Turner are doing this the right way...ease him into this rather than just throwing him in. They're teaching the young man how to swim in the NFL rather than just walking him to the deep end and pushing him in. This is not a kid with 300, 400, or more carries in college transitioning to the NFL. If you expected him to be a bellcow with 18-20 touches per game midway through his rookie season, then that's on you for expectations that were too high. 

I wasn’t expecting anything tbh I’m just saying how when jones was with McCarthy they used Jamal williams for passing down work. Similar to how they use mckissic. 
Gibson is a WR turned into a RB right? 
i was never asking for no 18 carries 

It seems dumb that they wouldn’t give him more passing down work as opposed to them using him more on runs. Specially when they’re giving the other rb 15 targets 😂

you would think they would want to give him more passing down work so that they don’t show their hand when mckissic is in there. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, fbi314159 said:

Not much of the season left, and it looks like McKissic's role has expanded (ballooning to 70% of snaps) where they used to at least split them.

This was stated a week ago. So a week has passed. One week.

Gibson played the most important snaps last game and expressed his case for more pretty decidedly.

Oh and not to mention now is the most important part of the season. Four weeks of regular season and then two weeks of playoffs. He's in the best case scenario right now that most reasonable people envisioned but he may be a RB1 by the playoffs. Score.

Edited by Spyplane