NBC Sports Edge Forums

Antonio Gibson 2020 Outlook

3 hours ago, Spyplane said:

This was stated a week ago. So a week has passed. One week.

Gibson played the most important snaps last game and expressed his case for more pretty decidedly.

Not exactly accurate.  They had McKissic in for a couple short yardage situations and at the GL. 

The learning how to be a RB is understandable.  Learning routes at the NFL level is understandable.  McKissic isn't running anything complicated out there for his targets 90% of the time.  There is no reason for that type of share when he is not dynamic after the ball.

Weeks 1-8 McKissic had 33 targets (week 9 being their bye week).

Over the last two weeks, guess who leads the NFL in targets with 29?  McKissic. That is absurd.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man do I LOVE this thread... these posters come in weekly to try and throw water on Gibson then immediately get embarrassed the following week. See you around 8 tonight, get ready to eat. 

Listen, I'm going to have to agree with the "realists" in here. Take away all three of his touchowns, his 7 targets, 5 receptions, and his four longest runs and he is JAG. Not really seeing anything s

I see the "realists" are putting on the full court press ahead of this game against Pittsburgh. I saw the same EXACT narrative for James Robinson last week who (by the way) bowling balled his way to 1

Posted Images

As far as McKissic at the goal line is concerned, is there any breakdown on goal line snaps? I watched RedZone Sunday, so I didn't see the whole game, but I remember one instance (before Gibson's TD's I believe) where Washington converted on a close and potentially reviewable 3rd down(thus, JD was in) play, and so they tried (and succeeded) to get the next play off quickly, which meant JD stayed in, even on 1st and goal. Might have even been JD's TD that he scored, I was drinking so I don't totally remember, lol.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see (or if anyone has a better memory than I, hear) if that was the only goal line carry he had. Hopefully it was (or , if not, at least that his goal line involvement is minimal)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sternes said:

Not exactly accurate.  They had McKissic in for a couple short yardage situations and at the GL. 

The learning how to be a RB is understandable.  Learning routes at the NFL level is understandable.  McKissic isn't running anything complicated out there for his targets 90% of the time.  There is no reason for that type of share when he is not dynamic after the ball.

Weeks 1-8 McKissic had 33 targets (week 9 being their bye week).

Over the last two weeks, guess who leads the NFL in targets with 29?  McKissic. That is absurd.

I'm not defending McKissic, I'm just trying to make sense of it because contrary to how some think in here, you have to be an expert at football in order to become a coach at the pro level. If you guys are smarter than these coaches then arguably you've failed at life because you missed your calling and its a very lucrative calling at that. That said, another reason McKissic might get the nod is passing protection. They're on their third QB and its a QB who almost lost his leg and who has a very weak arm. It could be that he feels more comfortable back there with McKissic. It might be his pass blocking but it also might be his chemistry. 

The targets are indicative of the poor situation they have at QB. It is ridiculous he has that many targets and my guess is they will either go aggressively after someone like Dak in free agency or Lawrence & Fields in the draft. In any regard right now you might feel a lot better about things if you showed gratitude for how well everything has played out. You can't change it anyway but that's just me. I'm done talking about the complaining in here. Good luck.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Ceco2 said:

Just imagine WFT used Gibson as a 3 down back and he took all the checkdowns McKissic has been getting these past few weeks. We could be talking about CMac level production...

I don't know about CMC level, but I think he'd easily be a low-level RB1/top-tier RB2 like I see Swift becoming if they keep handing him the ball like last week.

19 hours ago, JCDaly said:

As far as McKissic at the goal line is concerned, is there any breakdown on goal line snaps? I watched RedZone Sunday, so I didn't see the whole game, but I remember one instance (before Gibson's TD's I believe) where Washington converted on a close and potentially reviewable 3rd down(thus, JD was in) play, and so they tried (and succeeded) to get the next play off quickly, which meant JD stayed in, even on 1st and goal. Might have even been JD's TD that he scored, I was drinking so I don't totally remember, lol.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see (or if anyone has a better memory than I, hear) if that was the only goal line carry he had. Hopefully it was (or , if not, at least that his goal line involvement is minimal)

Gibson has 7 GL carries on the season which is around 15th in the league. McKissic has 1 all year so yes that was his only carry inside the 5 and it's an anomaly. He only has 2 inside the 10 all year. That's less than Claypool.

He's no threat to Gibson for GL carries. That's not the worry. The worry is Gibson is getting 40% snaps because of this JAG.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the Skins. I've watched every play. People in this thread are overestimating Gibson. He's good BECAUSE we spell him with that JAG. Mckissic is necessary. Gibson is never going to be Cmac. You are all dreaming. I am pleased with Gibson though, he's above average, but if Guice was a half decent human being Gibson would barely be seeing the field yet. He's not going to reach all pro levels like some hype train riders think. 

10 minutes ago, zorndogs said:

I'm a big fan of the Skins. I've watched every play. People in this thread are overestimating Gibson. He's good BECAUSE we spell him with that JAG. Mckissic is necessary. Gibson is never going to be Cmac. You are all dreaming. I am pleased with Gibson though, he's above average, but if Guice was a half decent human being Gibson would barely be seeing the field yet. He's not going to reach all pro levels like some hype train riders think. 

Fake news 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, zorndogs said:

Yea, I've been wondering this. Does Gibson have the juice? Is he a special talent?

I just haven't seen any jaw dropping jukes, broken tackles, or that next level skill. He's done pretty well given the opportunity.

It's just hard to tell with the state of the team and QB play.

5 minutes ago, leebattle said:

Yea, I've been wondering this. Does Gibson have the juice? Is he a special talent?

I just haven't seen any jaw dropping jukes, broken tackles, or that next level skill. He's done pretty well given the opportunity.

And you need eye glasses 

• Haha 3
37 minutes ago, leebattle said:

Exactly. He is versatile and better than average at most facets of being a RB besides blocking, but he doesn't seem special in any area. That's fine, just the expectations in this thread seem higher than what I'm seeing every week. He's not ever going to make a pro bowl. 

10 hours ago, Spyplane said:

I'm not defending McKissic, I'm just trying to make sense of it because contrary to how some think in here, you have to be an expert at football in order to become a coach at the pro level. If you guys are smarter than these coaches then arguably you've failed at life because you missed your calling and its a very lucrative calling at that. 

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here.  You are saying you are being contrary to the majority  here, then saying you agree with the coach.  Then, you tell us if we are smarter than the coach we are all failures.  Then tell everyone they are failures if we are smarter than the coaches.

Coaches are experts thus smarter than us; or, we are all failures at life for being smarter than them.  Got it.

Just because someone is an "expert" on something doesn't mean they are smart.  You also seem to put coaches on a pedestal as if it is the highest of intellectual pursuits.  Give me a break.  Do you really think some of these guys got to the NFL based on being smart? Do you think the NFL is a true meritocracy when it comes to coaching or the front office?

You really need to rethink that theory.  Why even come here and debate?  We should all just sit here and say the coach got the best possible outcome on every play.

That said, another reason McKissic might get the nod is passing protection. They're on their third QB and its a QB who almost lost his leg and who has a very weak arm. It could be that he feels more comfortable back there with McKissic. It might be his pass blocking but it also might be his chemistry. 

He probably does pass protect a bit better than Gibson.  The thing is, he never was very good at it to begin with, and, they would rather him chip a lineman at most and go out for a pass.  Him blocking removes an outlet from Smith.  I don't know how McKissic would have better rapport with the 3rd string guy than Gibson when neither really worked with him until now.  He is getting targeted 27.1% of his offensive snaps the past two weeks. That is insane.  Michael Thomas had the most targets in the NFL last year.  He was targeted on 19.6% of his offensive snaps.

The targets are indicative of the poor situation they have at QB. It is ridiculous he has that many targets and my guess is they will either go aggressively after someone like Dak in free agency or Lawrence & Fields in the draft. In any regard right now you might feel a lot better about things if you showed gratitude for how well everything has played out. You can't change it anyway but that's just me. I'm done talking about the complaining in here. Good luck.

Now you are saying the targets are ridiculous?  At the beginning you told us we can't possibly be smarter than the coaches.  If you are smart enough to question the coaches, then you must have failed at like because you missed your calling and its a very lucrative calling at that. 

We should show gratitude?  What?  What kind of bizarro world are we in? Everyone here knows we lucked out with the TDs because the usage makes zero sense.

We all know we can't change it.  I'm glad you are done talking. Good luck as well.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, zorndogs said:

Exactly. He is versatile and better than average at most facets of being a RB besides blocking, but he doesn't seem special in any area. That's fine, just the expectations in this thread seem higher than what I'm seeing every week. He's not ever going to make a pro bowl. 

Lol. There is zero way you can make that assertion right now. 

8 hours ago, fbi314159 said:

I don't know about CMC level, but I think he'd easily be a low-level RB1/top-tier RB2 like I see Swift becoming if they keep handing him the ball like last week.

Gibson is a low-level RB1. He’s RB11.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, leebattle said:

Agree it is hard to assess, in full, with this team but last i looked he was top 3 PFF broken tackle %.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Gibson is a low-level RB1. He’s RB11.

It is valid to use total points to make that determination since injuries are part of the game, and by this metric he is most definitely the RB11 as you state.

Still, I prefer to use points per game to get a feel for how I feel about plugging in an available player into my lineup.  In ppg, he is "only" RB16--still a higher end RB2.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, zorndogs said:

Based on your pro level analysis, you must’ve thought Alfred Morris was going to be a career all-pro HOF RB after he rumbled for 1600 rush yards his rookie season. The point here is that it’s not unreasonable to speculate Gibsons production if he were receiving the same usage and volume as a CMC type of RB.

On 11/19/2020 at 1:42 PM, mikepferrara said:

Based on your pro level analysis, you must’ve thought Alfred Morris was going to be a career all-pro HOF RB after he rumbled for 1600 rush yards his rookie season. The point here is that it’s not unreasonable to speculate Gibsons production if he were receiving the same usage and volume as a CMC type of RB.

That was a completely different Shanny offense and Morris doesn't catch passes like Gibson. No comparison. Just like there is no comparison between Cmac and Gibson. I am the biggest Skins fan, it is known

On 11/19/2020 at 5:38 AM, collucho said:

My two cents: WFT doesn't want to win games and they're afraid if they give Gibson 20+ touches a game he will start giving them undesired Ws.

People are laughing but I think you're actually correct. Ever since Riverboat Ron decided to go for 2 while down by 1 after Washington had stormed back with all momentum against the (very lowly) 0-5 Giants, I knew right then and there that they were not actively "trying" to win games this year. 

On 11/19/2020 at 8:38 AM, collucho said:

My two cents: WFT doesn't want to win games and they're afraid if they give Gibson 20+ touches a game he will start giving them undesired Ws.

I mean this is a LOT of teams right now. The Jets literally refuse to fire Gase and keep playing Flacco if Darnold has a fingernail too long. The Jags were getting pretty damn good QB production from Minshew and told everyone they want to see what they have in their 6th round rookie lol, who by the way has been horrible and they still refuse to go back to Minshew. There's literally no reason Gibson should not be an every down back by now, and 3rd down receiving back as well. He's literally 2 times more talented than McKissic. They want Lawrence or Fields period.

1 hour ago, TennisDude said:

I mean this is a LOT of teams right now. The Jets literally refuse to fire Gase and keep playing Flacco if Darnold has a fingernail too long. The Jags were getting pretty damn good QB production from Minshew and told everyone they want to see what they have in their 6th round rookie lol, who by the way has been horrible and they still refuse to go back to Minshew. There's literally no reason Gibson should not be an every down back by now, and 3rd down receiving back as well. He's literally 2 times more talented than McKissic. They want Lawrence or Fields period.

I mean it makes sense, why wear down your best back in a losing season?