NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brandon Aiyuk 2020 Outlook

49ers traded up with the Vikings to select Arizona State WR Brandon Aiyuk with the No. 25 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

The 49ers traded picks No. 31, 117 and 176 for the 25th-overall selection. Look for coach Kyle Shanahan to have plenty of fun scheming ways to get him the ball in space. After spending two years at JUCO, Aiyuk (5'11/205) transferred and played second fiddle (48 targets) to N’Keal Harry (114 targets) in 2018, eventually emerging with 1,192 receiving yards as the Sun Devils' go-to receiver once the latter left for the draft. There's concern in Aiyuk's transition to the league as PFF charted 70 percent of his yards occurring from three straight-line routes: screens (26%), posts (25%), and go-routes (19%). On tape, his arm length (33.5") and creativity with the ball in his hands are much clearer. He averaged an elite 11.1 yards after the catch but will need to run a wider variety of routes to be more than a complementary piece in any NFL offense. A 76th-percentile Adjusted SPARQ athlete with 4.50 40-speed, Aiyuk projects to compete for a starting job as a rookie. His natural playmaking ability as a returner will immediately win the favor of league coaches.

Apr 23, 2020, 11:16 PM ET
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Brandon Aiyuk 2020 Outlook
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dante Pettis. Oh wait.

This is a smash spot so it means he’ll go 3-35, SF will run it 40 times and win a 9-6 game just because it’s 2020

• 1 month later...

Why is no one talking about this guy? lol On track to be a Week 1 full-time started with clear #2 receiver responsibilities.

49ers defense will regress and the division is tough. They may have to uncork it a bit more this year...this guy screams serious value.

There's a chance Deebo doesn't even come back this season. Jones fractures are legit season enders, and no training for months is also a huge problem for conditioning

I picked this guy over Darius Slayton FWIW. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Why is no one talking about this guy? lol On track to be a Week 1 full-time started with clear #2 receiver responsibilities.

49ers defense will regress and the division is tough. They may have to uncork it a bit more this year...this guy screams serious value.

There's a chance Deebo doesn't even come back this season. Jones fractures are legit season enders, and no training for months is also a huge problem for conditioning

The answer to your question is one post above yours. ;)

Kidding aside, yeah I really like the player and the situation. Still, he's a rookie. And, I think all (or most at least) are gonna have a harder time adjusting to the pro game with the lack of a true off-season. But, I'll be looking for him in my rookie keeper draft, that's for sure!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Bold! I don't know if I like him enough to take over Slayton but I agree, Aiyuk is flying under the radar right now.

2 hours ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Bold! I don't know if I like him enough to take over Slayton but I agree, Aiyuk is flying under the radar right now.

Too many mouths in NYG (I hate that Idiom)

Daniel Jones throws 40 times a game...completes 25-28 passes. 5-6 to Saquon, 5-6 to Engram, 1-2 to other TE...

That gives 12-14 receptions to go around to Tate, Slayton, and Shepard...Tate's the PPR guy, so 4-6 receptions. 6-8 receptions left to split between Slayton and Shepard...

• Like 1

I don’t like rookie WRs in general. I especially don’t like rookie WRs with no real training camp, little time spent with the QB, and no preseason. I think he and Deebo can form a dynamic duo in the coming years, but I just don’t like any rookie WR this year. He’ll have flashes but will like lack consistency. 

Imho. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I don’t like rookie WRs in general. I especially don’t like rookie WRs with no real training camp, little time spent with the QB, and no preseason. I think he and Deebo can form a dynamic duo in the coming years, but I just don’t like any rookie WR this year. He’ll have flashes but will like lack consistency. 

Imho. 

Agreed. All that matters is opportunity however, and this guy is going to get it whether he is ready or not. Metcalf had opportunity and so did AJ Brown, albeit they are probably better prospects.

Cardinals week 1...they'll need to throw the ball. 

Just now, PlayTheWaivers said:

Agreed. All that matters is opportunity however, and this guy is going to get it whether he is ready or not. Metcalf had opportunity and so did AJ Brown, albeit they are probably better prospects.

Cardinals week 1...they'll need to throw the ball. 

I agree with that. And yes, AJ and DK are extremely gifted physically. 

5 hours ago, rex_bulkhead said:

On a unrelated note the Giants never had all 5 weapons suit up for a game together last year, in games where they had only 1 weapon missing Slayton had about a 10% target share, 2 or more missing Slayton feasted. Some may say you have to throw to someone. Check Robert Foster to end 2018, Young Josh Allen had to throw to someone then too.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Too many mouths in NYG (I hate that Idiom)

Daniel Jones throws 40 times a game...completes 25-28 passes. 5-6 to Saquon, 5-6 to Engram, 1-2 to other TE...

That gives 12-14 receptions to go around to Tate, Slayton, and Shepard...Tate's the PPR guy, so 4-6 receptions. 6-8 receptions left to split between Slayton and Shepard...

Not a big Slayton fan here, but damn this is backwards logic if I've ever seen it.

This guy's being drafted right where he should be IMO. 

Y'all read OP writeup? He's a 1-D receiver that's gonna take some time getting adjusted to pro level ball and due to COVID his learning window is shortened. 

Biggest part of a Shanny offense too is run blocking to stay on the field. A knock on him is this. 

If you play in a return yardage league and it was before return yards were mostly taken out of the game I'd say he can manufacture points for you, but those days fade more each passing season. 

He seems to me like a bigger, slower, tavon Austin. I also see a slower, weaker Deebo Samuel in him. He's going to need manufactured touches from plays designed exclusively for him that I just don't see coming that often. 

He'll probably take away those jet sweeps that Kittle used to get. 

I wouldn't be shocked if he has less than 500 receiving yards in the year if he stays healthy. Maybe 600 yards with rush and receive. He profiles as a return guy but Lotta y'all don't play those leagues and return guys value seems to diminish yearly for most part. Is that Richie whatever guy still on the team too? He seemed to have that role locked up last year. 

I agree with y'all when you say the opportunity is here. This team is completely devoid of receiving talent outside of George Kittle, so I guess he's gotta get some run, just seems like the worst receiver to draft to do it. There was way better options to profile on this team from my non mattering perspective. 

Bottom line at pick 159 I think he has the greatest opportunity to succeed and make an impact of most being drafted around him. 

I just don't believe he has the skillset to come in and do it right away. Maybe he can get 3 rushing TD's if deebo is away though then there's a bit of value to be had. 

• The Athletic's Matt Barrows expects No. 25 overall pick Brandon Aiyuk to be the 49ers' "best outside-the-hashes target."

Connecting dots, Barrows expects Aiyuk to "essentially (take) over for Emmanuel Sanders." Like most of the 49ers' pass catchers, Aiyuk is a YAC threat, but he also has the speed and catch radius to do damage on the outside. He was excellent on go routes in the PAC-12. The 49ers' passing-game distribution is a bit of a black box in the COVID year, but Aiyuk is well worth a late-round flier in 12-team leagues.  

SOURCE: The Athletic
    Aug 11, 2020, 8:56 PM ET

•  
7 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Not a big Slayton fan here, but damn this is backwards logic if I've ever seen it.

Give me your math breakdown then, bud.

Here's a fun fact:

With Daniel Jones at QB and Evan Engram playing, Darius Slayton averaged just 3.83 targets per game and never eclipsed a 13.8% target share in a single game.

There needs to be target consolidation for any consistency here. Targets are all that matter, not theory or where he had two games last year where he scored almost half of his fantasy output. 

• Like 2
  • Coach Kyle Shanahan said first-round rookie WR Brandon Aiyuk is "further ahead than a lot of rookies."

Shanahan continued, "He knows how to practice like a pro. You can tell he comes prepared every day. He’s not a guy you’ve had to teach how to act or teach how important it is to learn this stuff. You can tell he understood that before he got here." It's more confirmation that Aiyuk figures to be in the mix for a Week 1 role, especially if Deebo Samuel (foot) isn't able to play. The 49ers plan to take advantage of Aiyuk's versatility, which may include special teams work as a returner. Aiyuk is a smart hedge in the double-digit rounds of fantasy drafts as someone who could be a No. 1 receiver to open the season. At Arizona State, Aiyuk was lethal on straight-line routes and screens because of his yards after the catch ability.

SOURCE: NBC Sports
    Aug 15, 2020, 7:59 PM ET

•  
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, The G Man said:
  • Coach Kyle Shanahan said first-round rookie WR Brandon Aiyuk is "further ahead than a lot of rookies."

Shanahan continued, "He knows how to practice like a pro. You can tell he comes prepared every day. He’s not a guy you’ve had to teach how to act or teach how important it is to learn this stuff. You can tell he understood that before he got here." It's more confirmation that Aiyuk figures to be in the mix for a Week 1 role, especially if Deebo Samuel (foot) isn't able to play. The 49ers plan to take advantage of Aiyuk's versatility, which may include special teams work as a returner. Aiyuk is a smart hedge in the double-digit rounds of fantasy drafts as someone who could be a No. 1 receiver to open the season. At Arizona State, Aiyuk was lethal on straight-line routes and screens because of his yards after the catch ability.

SOURCE: NBC Sports
    Aug 15, 2020, 7:59 PM ET

•  

*nods along knowingly as he places Aiyuk on the trade block*

4 hours ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

This years scary Terry? 

Id imagine even better. Just seems like San Fran is so well rounded, a guy like Aiyuk can come on and not command any attention so he thrives instantly. Similar to the Ravens last year with Marquise Brown. Solid defense, amazing tight end group, great running backs. Aiyuk is in a very ideal spot.

• 49ers WR Jalen Hurd may have torn his ACL at practice, and is undergoing an MRI. 

Hurd, a former running back, was expected to be deployed in a variety of ways in the Niners offense. Losing Hurd would be another setback for the team's offense, which might be without Deebo Samuel to start the season. 

Aug 17, 2020, 11:44 AM ET

•  
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, The G Man said:
  • 49ers WR Jalen Hurd may have torn his ACL at practice, and is undergoing an MRI. 

Hurd, a former running back, was expected to be deployed in a variety of ways in the Niners offense. Losing Hurd would be another setback for the team's offense, which might be without Deebo Samuel to start the season. 

Aug 17, 2020, 11:44 AM ET

•  

Looks like it's you and I on the Aiyuk train pal. He's gonna get all the snaps he can handle...and hoping for 8 targets a game until Deebo is back...if he is even back. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Looks like it's you and I on the Aiyuk train pal. He's gonna get all the snaps he can handle...and hoping for 8 targets a game until Deebo is back...if he is even back. 

Yup!

Southampton Fc GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 1

At his current price, even I can't look away any longer.

Bodies falling all around him and his cost is absolutely nothing.

I still believe he's raw, but if he gets enough manufactured touches a game I'd hate myself for missing out on him.

Probably gonna reach for him and / or Lazard to ensure that I get both high upside guys late.

1 hour ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

He still has Kendrick Bourne, Dante Pettis who was highly regarded as recent as a year ago and the slot guy Trent Taylor along with George Kittle to compete with for catches but Aiyuk could be useful at least in the early part of the season until Samuel returns.

On 8/12/2020 at 5:23 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

This guy's being drafted right where he should be IMO. 

Y'all read OP writeup? He's a 1-D receiver that's gonna take some time getting adjusted to pro level ball and due to COVID his learning window is shortened. 

Biggest part of a Shanny offense too is run blocking to stay on the field. A knock on him is this. 

If you play in a return yardage league and it was before return yards were mostly taken out of the game I'd say he can manufacture points for you, but those days fade more each passing season. 

He seems to me like a bigger, slower, tavon Austin. I also see a slower, weaker Deebo Samuel in him. He's going to need manufactured touches from plays designed exclusively for him that I just don't see coming that often. 

He'll probably take away those jet sweeps that Kittle used to get. 

I wouldn't be shocked if he has less than 500 receiving yards in the year if he stays healthy. Maybe 600 yards with rush and receive. He profiles as a return guy but Lotta y'all don't play those leagues and return guys value seems to diminish yearly for most part. Is that Richie whatever guy still on the team too? He seemed to have that role locked up last year. 

I agree with y'all when you say the opportunity is here. This team is completely devoid of receiving talent outside of George Kittle, so I guess he's gotta get some run, just seems like the worst receiver to draft to do it. There was way better options to profile on this team from my non mattering perspective. 

Bottom line at pick 159 I think he has the greatest opportunity to succeed and make an impact of most being drafted around him. 

I just don't believe he has the skillset to come in and do it right away. Maybe he can get 3 rushing TD's if deebo is away though then there's a bit of value to be had. 

Bookmarking this for later discussion in about 10 weeks. 

• Thanks 1