NBC Sports Edge Forums

Justin Herbert 2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, LionKid90 said:

I don’t really like the matchup either. People underestimate how difficult it is to go into Denver and play well. 

This game has the third lowest total, and Chargers team total is set at only 21.5. 

Tannehill and Brady seemed to fare just fine in Denver. Regardless, you certainly can't bench him in 2QB and SuperFlex leagues. And my guess is even in 1 QB leagues... unless you have Wilson, Mahomes, Jackson, Rodgers, Brady, etc... you probably have to start him there too.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah I am pretty concerned too. Herbert has only faced 1 tough defense so far and that was Tampa's. Kid was totally destroyed by them... 190 passing yards, 0 td 2 int... Wait. What's that? T

James Robinson says hold my beer

10 hours ago, LionKid90 said:

I don’t really like the matchup either. People underestimate how difficult it is to go into Denver and play well. 

This game has the third lowest total, and Chargers team total is set at only 21.5. 

Hard to sit at this point.

[...] don't really feel like wasting a roster spot when I have Herbert in there lighting it up.

Kind of expecting a more middling, but acceptable performance this week. Maybe a 250-2-2 line with 20-30 yards rushing. He's due for a couple rookie mistakes.

58 minutes ago, dsrich said:

Where would you all think Herbert’s value in dynasty is? Dynasty leagues are much different (first time in one) so unsure how to gauge his value.

Fantasy Pros has his consensus ranking just inside the top 100 as the QB9: 

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/dynasty-overall.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/2/2020 at 11:28 PM, mocha4313 said:

I'll take Jordan Love or even Hurts if he gets a chance to be that guy from this class well before Herbert

At least Love had the excuse of playing with 2 star talent like Allen did

Hurts is more projection

Wow was I wrong.

He has been stellar.

The not going through reads is still a long term thing to watch but the mobility and accuracy with good decision making has been well beyond what I expected from him ever--let alone as a rookie

4 hours ago, The G Man said:

If I was Miami's GM, he would be a Dolphin.

Just sayin'. 

The new Marino!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, KingUles said:

Yeah I am pretty concerned too. Herbert has only faced 1 tough defense so far and that was Tampa's.

Kid was totally destroyed by them... 190 passing yards, 0 td 2 int...

Wait. What's that? That was Aaron Rodgers? Oh, my bad... How did Herbert do against this Bucs D?

290 passing yards / 3 td / 1 int

Denver is not that scary btw. 20.8 pts allowed to QB per game this season (12th most in the league)

START THE KID WITH CONFIDENCE!!!

The Bucs were caught off guard and banged up.  Playing in Denver The No Fly Zone against that defense.  Don't be surprised if he's held under 215 passing yards this week.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

The Bucs were caught off guard and banged up.  Playing in Denver The No Fly Zone against that defense.  Don't be surprised if he's held under 215 passing yards this week.

So, 214 yards passing, 3 tuddies 

30 yards rushing, 1 tuddie 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, Rotocious said:

I love the enthusiasm but I think Denver has a few things in store for Herbert.

Expect this to be his toughest game. Denver is never an easy place to play.

That said, LAC need to throw to score. Jackson and Kelley define mediocrity in that backfield. And their kicker Badgely blows so maybe they bypass FGs as well.

Hoping the floor is 2 TDs...a combo of passing and running. 

• Like 1

Yeah this will likely be his toughest matchup. Denver isn’t dominant on defense like they once were, but they can still make it tough for opposing offenses.

In a week where there are a ton of bad weather games, I’m surprised to see such great conditions in Denver. Makes starting him a bit easier. 

I would temper expectations, something like 250 yards and a couple TD’s. The chances of this game getting into a shootout are pretty low. Shaping up to be a 24-21 type of game.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Breesus said:

Not the highest ceiling game, but great weather and they have plenty of weapons for Herbert to sling it. He’s the #4 QB in ppg right now I have high hopes for another solid game. 20-25 points at least 

I don't even think there's much reason to question whether or not he'll go off again. He already had a nice showing against the Bucs tough defense in week 4, and after the Chargers bye week, it's clear the playbook has completely opened up for Herbert. He's starting to use his legs also, increasing the odds he adds 40-50 yards on the ground.

The Chargers & Broncos feel like teams that are about to head in opposite directions. The Chargers defense is getting healthier and I think they might give a strong showing on Sunday, giving the Broncos less opportunity to stay off the field. I think I'm comfortable starting Herbert over Lamar Jackson tomorrow, with the hope he goes off yet again.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I don't even think there's much reason to question whether or not he'll go off again. He already had a nice showing against the Bucs tough defense in week 4, and after the Chargers bye week, it's clear the playbook has completely opened up for Herbert. He's starting to use his legs also, increasing the odds he adds 40-50 yards on the ground.

The Chargers & Broncos feel like teams that are about to head in opposite directions. The Chargers defense is getting healthier and I think they might give a strong showing on Sunday, giving the Broncos less opportunity to stay off the field. I think I'm comfortable starting Herbert over Lamar Jackson tomorrow, with the hope he goes off yet again.

I am in the same boat RE QB options.  Just can’t trust Lamar to throw, and PITT crushes running game.  This is my first game w Herbert on my bench.  Might have to fire him up 

I heavily dislike Anthony Lynn and how much he caps every single Charger player. Great game per usual, but Herbert's potential is so capped by these dumbass Lynn 2nd and 25 run plays. So conservative when you have one of the best gunslingers in the NFL right now that has the threat of punishing a defense for 50+ yards every down.

Edited by harck
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, harck said:

I heavily dislike Anthony Lynn and how much he caps every single Charger player. Great game per usual, but Herbert's potential is so capped by these dumbass Lynn 2nd and 25 run plays. So conservative when you have one of the best gunslingers in the NFL right now that has the threat of punishing a defense for 50+ yards every down.

Totally agree. I live in LA so I was able to watch the game from start to finish and it was extremely frustrating. 

Prior to going up 21-3, they were aggressive and taking shots. They went completely conservative with boring 1-2 yard runs up the middle after that.

I really thought Lynn learned his lesson(s) after losing all 4 games by less than 7 points before this. I guess not.

Edited by gmoneypm
13 minutes ago, gmoneypm said:

Totally agree. I live in LA so I was able to watch the game from start to finish and it was extremely frustrating. 

Prior to going up 21-3, they were aggressive and taking shots. They went completely conservative with boring 1-2 yard runs up the middle after that.

I really thought Lynn learned his lesson(s) after losing all 4 games by less than 7 points before this. I guess not.

Agree 100%.

I still have to think this will change though. If he doesn’t learn fast, he may be out of a job next year.

Lynn needs to go, Chargers became the first team to ever lose 3 games in a season when leading by 16 or more pts

today made no 4.  Thats all on coaching

1st and 25, up 3 lets play for a FG, WTF does a FG do for you, you take a FG, you run a 8 yard route on 1st down and see what happens, whats he call?  Run up the middle for 2 yards, then a 5 yard slant and a scramble