NBC Sports Edge Forums

Justin Herbert 2020 Outlook

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah I am pretty concerned too. Herbert has only faced 1 tough defense so far and that was Tampa's. Kid was totally destroyed by them... 190 passing yards, 0 td 2 int... Wait. What's that? T

James Robinson says hold my beer

1 minute ago, Brettg57 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I am happy with tonight’s performance. But just think WHAT IF.

What If: KA and Mike Williams played full snaps? Also if Raiders didn’t kill the clock on that 10 minute drive. Coulda been a yuge night.

Totally. Also, what if Lynn wasn't a POS and Herbert had more than 1 pass attempt in the 4th... on that 2nd & 4 when they just ran two run plays and let Badgley kick the FG I was livid... but not surprised, because that's just who Lynn is. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Uncle_Ruckus said:

LOL knowing that players often troll the fantasy community, why would anyone put ANY stock into what a player is saying regarding whether he should be started or benched? 

Ehh, I mean... I honestly was half joking... as mentioned earlier in the thread, I was prepared to start Herbert anyway even if both Allen and Williams were out.

9 minutes ago, rasrar said:

You were saying?

Over 300 passing yards, 3 total TDs... and Allen and Williams were barely involved in the game. Yes, i would have absolutely started if neither were active... and the result would have likely been the same.

He literally would have had 22 points exactly if his kicker didn't suck and ended the game when he should have. I'm not complaining, but that was a very lucky 30 points.

• Like 1

What's funny is it was Lynn's incompetency that lead to Bagley's missed 51 yard FG.  And in OT Herbert delivers high end QB1 numbers for week 15.

What's even more astounding is that Herbert passed for 314 yards by only completing 22 passes - aDOT master

Edited by JediMasters
7 minutes ago, rasrar said:

Ehh, I mean... I honestly was half joking... as mentioned earlier in the thread, I was prepared to start Herbert anyway even if both Allen and Williams were out.

That’s fair, I’m just asking in general (not meant to be directed at you, just shared your quote because it had that tweet) because I was seeing a ton of people justifying their reason to start based on Allen apparently mouthing into the camera for people to start him. I didn’t know what people were referring to until later in the game 

4 minutes ago, Uncle_Ruckus said:

That’s fair, I’m just asking in general (not meant to be directed at you, just shared your quote because it had that tweet) because I was seeing a ton of people justifying their reason to start based on Allen apparently mouthing into the camera for people to start him. I didn’t know what people were referring to until later in the game 

Fair enough, I think context matters with these type of things.

For instance, Ekeler is pretty open about his injury status and talks about whether he is going to play or not, how he's been practicing, etc. on his Twitch stream. I am far more likely to take him at his word than most players.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, GoVols98 said:

He literally would have had 22 points exactly if his kicker didn't suck and ended the game when he should have. I'm not complaining, but that was a very lucky 30 points.

You could look at it a bunch of ways. Imagine if Lynn wasn't such an awful playcaller and actually had Herbert throw more than 1 time in the 4th quarter... Herbert may have gotten to 30 by end of regulation without even needing OT. If Herbert was used the way he should have been, one of those missed FGs could have been a TD drive.

I don't think this was a "lucky 30 points" at all. Sure, i get it. I was nervous Raiders were gonna end the game in OT with a TD and they didn't. But if you're going to acknowledge all the things that worked in Herbert's favor this game, at least acknowledge the hinderances he overcame too.

Also, I think you're missing the larger point... the lack of Herbert's options didn't really affect him. He was able to be more than effective and play his game without Allen or Williams, which is what I suspected all along. That's why I felt all those willing to bench Herbert for... Cousins... Trubisky...Hill were just crazy, to me.

Edited by rasrar
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, GoVols98 said:

And your acting like 22 points is a bad thing?

Your top 2 qbs in the league haven’t provided those numbers the last few games.  And a game will be played.  It is what it is.  No matter the outcome.  Grats to Herbert owners pulling them through.  

7 hours ago, GoVols98 said:

Let’s not kid ourselves. Luck always plays a huge part in this fantasy game that we play. If you watched every game each week you could probably argue that a lot of players should have +/- 10 points than they actually do.  

2 hours ago, MayorMcCheese said:

Let’s not kid ourselves. Luck always plays a huge part in this fantasy game that we play. If you watched every game each week you could probably argue that a lot of players should have +/- 10 points than they actually do.  

Yep happens every week.... Most of the time people don't see it because it's an obscure game that has limited interest.... I mean Miles Sanders last week all everyone sees is the stat line. A big chunk of his points came off one run and then he was basically shut down. Anyone can say "it was lucky". That was one play, Herbert had a fortunate chain of events, same thing happed with Scott a month ago when he caught the game winning TD after being at the goal line and then some penalties backed them up and got him back into the game. One of the many reasons why FF is more LUCK than anything. 

Hopefully a new HC or OC comes in soon and builds around Herbert's obvious talent. The current coaching staff seems to have no problem going leather helmet mode and getting ultra conservative with even the slightest lead - seemingly often to their detriment. 

• Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, PrestigeWW said:

Hopefully a new HC or OC comes in soon and builds around Herbert's obvious talent. The current coaching staff seems to have no problem going leather helmet mode and getting ultra conservative with even the slightest lead - seemingly often to their detriment. 

This bears repeating. You hit the nail on the head 100%. It's a shame because there is enough surrounding talent that could be utilized much better. If Herbert remains healthy, he will have an incredible NFL career. For reference, this is coming from someone with no fandom of the Chargers.

1 pass attempt in the 4th quarter? Did I read that right? In a tight game you are handcuffing the guy who had a monster 1st half, cause??? Lynn should have been fired at the start of overtime... literally as soon as it went into... launch button... 

Edited by hard1
  • Like 1

Started when I heard both WRs were going to be active, though that turned out to not matter. Fortunately we got that OT rushing TD, and the LV defense is straight up trash, because all the Chargers main weapons did absolutely nothing. Good job anyone who started Tyron Johnson.

Edited by LongBalls

I'm prolly gonna go against conventional wisdom and reach for this guy next season. Gonna target KA too for the stack. 

Just really think he's special and think he will only get better. One of the best rookie seasons by QB I can remember seeing. 

• Like 3
On 12/17/2020 at 12:05 PM, tatddy said:

Ahhh sweet elixir! Just the medicine I needed today...the board jumping off Herbert after a few rough weeks (almost entirely the fault of Lynn arguably the worst head coach over the past decade). 

Feeling good about starting Herbert now will probably see 3 1H td passes like the last prime time game. Weeeeee and thx.

Well could have been 3 but...alas....Lynn gonna Lynn. Nevertheless a sweet performance. 

I am so pissed off right now.  [...]

But this Chargers team should be 10-5.  Herbert should be averaging 300 yards 3 TDs per game.  We should be seeing 450 yards 4 TD games as his ceiling.  For the health of fantasy football beyond 2021 Anthony Lynn better NOT be back for next season.  They need to build this offense around Herbert.

• Like 2