NBC Sports Edge Forums

Justin Herbert 2020 Outlook

42 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Kinda crazy you're even have to ask the question, huh? But yeah, Wentz don't look right. 

I dunno man. How much do you believe in the rook starting only his second game in the pro's vs. a bounce back from Wentz? Both are playing at home and the match-up's are about even IMO. 

Look at your opponent and projected points (and you're W/L record). Do you need to swing for the fences or play it safe? 

Good luck!

without getting too bench-coachy, i'm 0-2 in that league so obv needing a spark 

Herbert looked GOOD and CAR literally doesn't have a defense... only reason i'm asking this question 

the challenge is Wentz is vs. CIN this week so i think he still wins out

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah I am pretty concerned too. Herbert has only faced 1 tough defense so far and that was Tampa's. Kid was totally destroyed by them... 190 passing yards, 0 td 2 int... Wait. What's that? T

James Robinson says hold my beer

On 9/24/2020 at 12:36 PM, Spyplane said:

If Wentz doesn't show up this week it says a lot about where he's at this season. His ego has been put on notice everywhere, including by his coach. If not for Wentz's massive contract Hurts might get the nod soon.

I have met him, no ego whatsoever

Now, his play, well, his motor may not be like other good QB's which puts him in that meddling category of up/down all the time

5 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

I have met him, no ego whatsoever

Now, his play, well, his motor may not be like other good QB's which puts him in that meddling category of up/down all the time

I'm not talk arrogance. I'm talking it looks like he is forcing the issue, taking liberties on offense to be the hero and it's at the expense of his team. That is ego and yet it does not mean he's an arrogant douche.

I'm in short term. I had someone move to IR and crazy me, I grabbed Herbert instead of a WR or RB. It's a one or two week audition to see where this goes. He looks like he has the talent to make it happen if his head is in the right place.

Edited by Spyplane

I'm a college football fan, and can I be honest?  I never saw it with this guy.

I'm not a huge Pac12/Oregon fan, that being said I'd tune in sometimes because the typical dratniks I follow would keep talking him up.

When I watched him he kinda reminded me of Jake Locker.  Good athletic ability, looked smooth against lesser competition but when the pressure was on against a good defense he was all over the place.

He did look good against KC though, and I'm wrong a lot.  I just have some hesitation. 

6 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm not a huge Pac12/Oregon fan, that being said I'd tune in sometimes because the typical dratniks I follow would keep talking him up.

When I watched him he kinda reminded me of Jake Locker.  Good athletic ability, looked smooth against lesser competition but when the pressure was on against a good defense he was all over the place.

He did look good against KC though, and I'm wrong a lot.  I just have some hesitation. 

He's sort of a bigger, stronger Carson Wentz.

4 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

He's sort of a bigger, stronger Carson Wentz.

Maybe so.  With Wentz you never really saw coming out of college how he'd play against big time competition.  We did with Herbert though, IMO it didn't go so well.

Things can change, and that doesn't mean much for his pro career obviously, except it's what we have to go on at this point.

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Maybe so.  With Wentz you never really saw coming out of college how he'd play against big time competition.  We did with Herbert though, IMO it didn't go so well.

Things can change, and that doesn't mean much for his pro career obviously, except it's what we have to go on at this point.

That and how good he looked in his first start. Not to mention he woke up that morning not knowing he'd be taking the first snap. I claimed him and I'm still debating starting him over Brees. I could see another rushing TD this week for him. 

29 minutes ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

That and how good he looked in his first start. Not to mention he woke up that morning not knowing he'd be taking the first snap. I claimed him and I'm still debating starting him over Brees. I could see another rushing TD this week for him. 

That knife cuts both ways though, the Chiefs defense prepped for Taylor.  The Panthers know what's coming and have some tape on how this works.

That said, they stink so yeah I could see him doing well.  Bubble may burst the following week if they let it ride against the Bucs though.

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

He took the Super Bowl champions down to the wire last week on zero notice and so I have to ask you does it get any bigger than that in the regular season?

46 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Offensively no.  Defensively?

+300 yards and 2 TDs against the Super Bowl champs in a game where he had no clue he was playing in. In a season where he had little camp training and no preseason. A game where he almost beat the champs. Do you think your timing might be off in questioning his performance against strong competition? Who did he play last year in college that was better than the defending Super Bowl champions?

Edited by Spyplane
11 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

+300 yards and 2 TDs against the Super Bowl champs in a game where he had no clue he was playing in. In a season where he had little camp training and no preseason. A game where he almost beat the champs. Do you think your timing might be off in questioning his performance against strong competition? Who did he play last year in college that was better than the defending Super Bowl champions?

Generally agree with this. He looked better than Watson did against the Chiefs, but there is something to the team prepping for Tyrod who is a completely different kind of QB.  I think he has the chance to be very good though.

Edited by humanpuck
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, humanpuck said:

Generally agree with this. He looked better than Watson did against the Chiefs, but there is something to the team prepping for Tyrod who is a completely different kind of QB.  I think he has the chance to be very good though.

No doubt the switcheroo benefited him but these are professionals and the level of talent and athleticism he faced last Sunday is far superior than anything he would have encountered in college. 

2 hours ago, Spyplane said:

No doubt the switcheroo benefited him but these are professionals and the level of talent and athleticism he faced last Sunday is far superior than anything he would have encountered in college. 

Sure.  But I'm just saying I won't be surprised in a couple weeks if the wheels come against Tampa when they've got some tape and a week of practice to get ready for him.

24 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Sure.  But I'm just saying I won't be surprised in a couple weeks if the wheels come against Tampa when they've got some tape and a week of practice to get ready for him.

hes a rookie... its kind of expected. no one said he's a god, he has upside because he has good weapons, a big arm and rushing upside.

46 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

They're a decent outfit, but no I don't think they're the straw that stirs the drink.

They dont have to be. So it doesnt matter if they dont have an elite defense, which is impossible to have given their roster construction. 

12 minutes ago, Evincar said:

They dont have to be. So it doesnt matter if they dont have an elite defense, which is impossible to have given their roster construction. 

Ok, but in context I was talking about Herbert's performance.  It was noted that they were the Super Bowl champions, to wit my response was:

1.) They had spent all week preparing for Taylor and

2.) The defense, that he was playing against, isn't really the strength of the team.

It doesn't really seem that you feel like 2 is "disrespecting" them, it actually seems like you agree.

On 9/26/2020 at 1:26 PM, JE7HorseGod said:

Sad "Price is Right" trombone.

• Like 1