NBC Sports Edge Forums

Justin Herbert 2020 Outlook

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah I am pretty concerned too. Herbert has only faced 1 tough defense so far and that was Tampa's. Kid was totally destroyed by them... 190 passing yards, 0 td 2 int... Wait. What's that? T

James Robinson says hold my beer

• 2 weeks later...

At what point do we start considering Herbert over the likes of Ryan, Brees, Goff, and Brady? I have loved what I have seen from this kid the past few weeks. Chargers seem intent on letting him air it out and he's got some decent weapons. He also has some running ability that has helped with moving the sticks and giving his floor a bit of a boost. Matchups with NO, NYJ, Mia, Jax, and LV before a week 10 bye.

• Like 1

Dropped Ryan for this dude, Ryan's floor was way too low for me. I also doubt Julio is going to be healthy this entire year, and who knows if they continue to lose what happens to players on that team as far as playing time. 

Edited by noles1983
2 minutes ago, Rickg1025 said:

At what point do we start considering Herbert over the likes of Ryan, Brees, Goff, and Brady? I have loved what I have seen from this kid the past few weeks. Chargers seem intent on letting him air it out and he's got some decent weapons. He also has some running ability that has helped with moving the sticks and giving his floor a bit of a boost. Matchups with NO, NYJ, Mia, Jax, and LV before a week 10 bye.

I would probably say when they start winning games that he plays in would help.  Until then there's still a decent enough chance they go back to Taylor when he's right.  I know that the defense certainly didn't do him any favors with Brady, but it is what it is, they expect to be good and they've dropped two in a row.

I was admittedly on the fence after watching him last year, but pretty hard to think that he isn't already a top 15-20 overall QB--in real life and basically at least that in fantasy. He definitely needs work on progressions in his reads and accuracy/touch/ball placement, but he has so many unteachable intangibles going for him. Elite athlete--esp for his size, and not a guy that shrinks under pressure. His line is pretty bad, and weapons are very middle-of-the-road...but he continues to forge forward. It's a week to week world in the NFL, but it would be a monstrous disservice to not let him continue to start and learn...but we certainly can not assume rational coaching, we know that.

11 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I would probably say when they start winning games that he plays in would help.  Until then there's still a decent enough chance they go back to Taylor when he's right.  I know that the defense certainly didn't do him any favors with Brady, but it is what it is, they expect to be good and they've dropped two in a row.

Bruh if you think the Chargers coaching stuff is sitting there wondering if they would have won had Tytrash Taylor been starting these games, then you've got something else coming.

This was never projected to be a good team. Herbert looks phenomenal out there for being the least hyped rookie QB in the draft (at least fantasy wise). Nobody cared about this kid until he started turning heads. He looks miles better than the #1 overall QB drafted. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Bruh if you think the Chargers coaching stuff is sitting there wondering if they would have won had Tytrash Taylor been starting these games, then you've got something else coming.

This was never projected to be a good team. Herbert looks phenomenal out there for being the least hyped rookie QB in the draft (at least fantasy wise). Nobody cared about this kid until he started turning heads. He looks miles better than the #1 overall QB drafted. 

Bruh the coach said that Tyrod is the starter if he's not hurt and they haven't won a game since Herbert's been playing.  Filling up a box score is fine but Anthony Lynn don't care about your fantasy team.

Just...don't be surprised if Taylor starts on Monday if he's healthy this week.  I won't be.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, noles1983 said:

Dropped Ryan for this dude, Ryan's floor was way too low for me. I also doubt Julio is going to be healthy this entire year, and who knows if they continue to lose what happens to players on that team as far as playing time. 

What are you doing when TT returns?

Picked him up for Brees bye next week and as insurance in case I want to ditch Brees alltogether.

Upcoming schedule is sweet.

Lynn would have to be a moron to bring in Taylor. Charger nation would have a fit.

Gotta roll with the young kid. See Bledsoe/Brady history. Sometimes sh*t happens and you have to roll with it. Sorry Tyrod.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Bruh the coach said that Tyrod is the starter if he's not hurt and they haven't won a game since Herbert's been playing.  Filling up a box score is fine but Anthony Lynn don't care about your fantasy team.

Just...don't be surprised if Taylor starts on Monday if he's healthy this week.  I won't be.

they barely beat the bengals lol herbert went toe to toe against brady and mahomes while missing 10 starters, the backlash could be rough if they sit herbert. I guess its possible but after herbert's performances so far seems unlikely, seems more like they want tyrod to feel better about himself after their doctor put him on short term IR lol.

2 minutes ago, meekzy said:

they barely beat the bengals lol herbert went toe to toe against brady and mahomes while missing 10 starters, the backlash could be rough if they sit herbert. I guess its possible but after herbert's performances so far seems unlikely, seems more like they want tyrod to feel better about himself after their doctor put him on short term IR lol.

I don't imagine there would be much backlash other than from the fantasy community.

3 minutes ago, meekzy said:

tell that to chargers fans

I don't know any personally.

My expectation would be that a lot would understand that at this point in their respective careers Herbert isn't winning you any games that Taylor wouldn't, and you wouldn't want him to hinder his development by being thrown in the fire too soon if that's the case.

10 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

My expectation would be that a lot would understand that at this point in their respective careers Herbert isn't winning you any games that Taylor wouldn't, and you wouldn't want him to hinder his development by being thrown in the fire too soon if that's the case.

i dont think tyrod has the chargers in the lead against the chiefs or the bucs at any point, and he's definitely not hitting practice squad players for 70 yards deep. theres zero chance tyrod hits that receiver deep.taylor might turn the ball over less than a rookie but throwing for 200 yards and no TDs with no turnovers doesn't really do anything to help win the game... herbert driving the field has been impressive and has lead to more scoring opportunities. tyrod has almost played for 10 years with one game over 300 yards and it was in OT, he only wins games if he plays keep away which you cant do with a banged up team like the chargers, herbert has had them in position to win each of the last 3 weeks.

31 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

This is one of the worst takes I have read in awhile on here.. and that's saying something.  I dont even know where to start.. I guess here - have you watched Herbert play football on the Chargers and have you watched Taylor play football on the Chargers?

Edited by Magman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1