NBC Sports Edge Forums

A.J. Dillon 2020 Outlook

• Packers selected Boston College RB AJ Dillon with the No. 62 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Dillon (6’0/247) was a highly productive three-year starter at Boston College who earned three-straight first-team All-ACC honors in averaging at least 110 rushing yards and one touchdown per game in each season. He showcased 97th-percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism by running a 4.53 40 at Indy's combine, adding a 41-inch vertical to his hit-or-miss tape. Dillon was a punishing power back, but rarely broke off big runs and only caught 21 career passes. In the NFL, he profiles as a potential two-down committee back who has more top-speed than other goal-line backs, but will likely be subbed out on passing downs, limiting his overall appeal both on the field and in fantasy. Dillon's workload in his first year with the Packers is questionable, but his presence alone may allow the organization to forego extending Aaron Jones as the latter enters the final year of his rookie deal.

Apr 24, 2020, 9:24 PM ET

•  
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bro- have you seen his legs? 

well, neither did Lacey ...  

TERRIBLE draft pick. And it's not a knock on Dillon. Rodgers is an all-timer, you only have so many prime years left of him. 2nd round picks are very valuable, and the team had plenty of needs. 

Team committed to the run but might be the most crowded backfield in the NFL.  Jones is a stud and Williams hasn't been a slouch.  Plus Dillon offers zero in the passing game.  Probably won't own anywhere in re-draft - maybe as a very late round flier in the double digit rounds.

For dynasty however, he'll be a nice grab.  The obvious RBs and WRs will go ahead of him, but Jones and Williams are both FAs next year, so Dillon could be the primary for Green Bay in 2021.  Probably won't get much return on investment this year, but could turn into a great pick for 2021.

• Like 2

A Jones value defiantly takes a hit. I think we can and will see Dillion plunge it in on the goal line. He has value long-term, The packers don't want to pay Aaron Jones the money 17td production. Smart move. Jammal will be cheaper to play the pass pro and has great hands. Packers are wanting to slowly become the titans, but they don't have the defense to do that.

Love this player. Really wish he woulda went somewhere with a need like Miami or LA or even somewhere like Chicago where there starter isn’t that good. Might take a couple years but this guy really is a special runner maybe he carves out a role 

• tonycpsu changed the title to A.J. Dillon 2020 Outlook
  • 2 weeks later...

Just read some interesting stats about this kid.

Last year he led the NCAA rushing attempts against a stacked box. 75% of his rushing attempts were against a stacked box. 

He had over twice as many carries against a stacked box than johnathon Taylor and we all know how 1 dimensional Wisconsin. While they both had almost the exact same amount of total carries 318 AJ to 320 JT

Dillon Led the NCAA in yards against a stacked box with over 1200 and over 800 of these yards were YAC yards. Johnathon Taylor was the 2nd back in yards against a stacked box with over 700 yards.

Take it for what it’s worth. I think he’s absolutely worth a stab in dynasty.

• Thanks 2

He is extremely undervalued at the 15-25 range in rookie drafts this year. Not too often do you find 2nd round draft pedigree RBs at that spot. Regardless of views on his talent, he is walking into a great spot. The Packers like to run the ball, split the workload, and Aaron Jones is due for an extension. I'm interested to see if he can actually add any receiving to his rep.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Agmaniacmike said:

He is extremely undervalued at the 15-25 range in rookie drafts this year. Not too often do you find 2nd round draft pedigree RBs at that spot. Regardless of views on his talent, he is walking into a great spot. The Packers like to run the ball, split the workload, and Aaron Jones is due for an extension. I'm interested to see if he can actually add any receiving to his rep.

That’s pretty clearly too low for a dynasty - after the Packers broadcasted their desire to convert to a run-first offense with their second-round pick and utter failure to draft a WR.  Algiers Jameal is going to get some serious run - perhaps as soon as this season.  He has very often been comped to Henry.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I see ya big fella.

You are no DH but I respect yo game.

You look like Brandon Jacobs out there, ain't nothin wrong with that.

I wonder if you would say that if he went to bama. 

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I wonder how much time you spend wondering about things that will never be.

I call it like I see it.

Too much time. I’ll always wonder when Alabama will learn to count and get their national title count correct 😂 just ribbing ya bud. I don’t think AJ is gonna be the man Derrick henry is no matter what shade of red he wore in college. 

31 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I wonder how much time you spend wondering about things that will never be.

I call it like I see it.

Things that will never be...like Henry becoming a force in the passing game?

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, paulwall29 said:

Yep, that's the only reason.

Well can you elaborate? Dillon is bigger faster and better than Williams. He is also a better receiver. I dont see what they have in common other than their college. Enlighten me please.

4 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Well can you elaborate? Dillon is bigger faster and better than Williams. He is also a better receiver. I dont see what they have in common other than their college. Enlighten me please.

They are extremely similar style of backs and Dillon is not a significantly better athlete, Williams was a 93rd percentile SPARQ athlete. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/andre-williams/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/aj-dillon/

They are extremely similar runners and yes, color me corrected, Dillon is a better receiver because he actually caught a few passes in his college career, I'm sure he's the next CMC.

12 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

They are extremely similar style of backs and Dillon is not a significantly better athlete, Williams was a 93rd percentile SPARQ athlete. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/andre-williams/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/aj-dillon/

They are extremely similar runners and yes, color me corrected, Dillon is a better receiver because he actually caught a few passes in his college career, I'm sure he's the next CMC.

nah poor comparison. Bit of a reach