NBC Sports Edge Forums

A.J. Dillon 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

He had 3 additional receptions negated by penalties.

Correct - saw him get a few that were called back along with the 1 non penalty one and he looked comfortable....not like Ronjo stone hands at all.  Again I said small sample size

Edited by Big Tuna
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bro- have you seen his legs? 

well, neither did Lacey ...  

TERRIBLE draft pick. And it's not a knock on Dillon. Rodgers is an all-timer, you only have so many prime years left of him. 2nd round picks are very valuable, and the team had plenty of needs. 

18 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

so is he expected to get any runthis weekend?  in a league where week 17 matters.

Jamaal Williams was limited yesterday in practice.  I guess it remains to be seen if he can be cleared for the weekend.  Seems trending in the right direction.

But I don't see how LaFleur puts this genie back in the bottle.  Yes, fantasy season is over (or over for most), but the NFL season obviously is not.  The Pack are trying to win the Super Bowl and will want to play their best players, not just playing a rookie to get an idea for next year.  I think the most likely scenario is some sort of three headed backfield unfortunately.

Like most I rostered him on speculation and as a potential keeper.  I'm hoping we some good performances from now until end of playoffs that will give GB enough data to allow Aaron Jones to leave in free agency.  That would clear the way for our boy to become a monster next year.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

so is he expected to get any runthis weekend?  in a league where week 17 matters.

He got more run than otherwise would have had AJones not pulled up lame. I guess he tweaked his hip. So if AJones is healthy maybe this at best is split carries? Kind of a scary proposition to start him if Jones is healthy. 

On 12/31/2020 at 12:19 PM, PizzaBeerFF said:

He got more run than otherwise would have had AJones not pulled up lame. I guess he tweaked his hip. So if AJones is healthy maybe this at best is split carries? Kind of a scary proposition to start him if Jones is healthy. 

Jamaal Williams is also back. Dillon won't get more than 5 or 6 touches, at most, this week. If you're still playing in week 17, Dillon is way off the fantasy radar. Check back on Dillon after free agency. 

I dont think they will simply banish him back to the bench after that impressive display....they should find a way to work him in....fresh legs during playoffs is a good thing.  but obviously his value lies in what happens during FA

Pretty sure that Green Bay has already decided yay or nay on Aaron Jones.  You don't draft an RB in the second round for him to be an apprentice for years, especially given the shelf life of an RB in his prime.  It's not like a quarterback.  You draft a stallion to let him run free on the track, not to keep him penned up in a stable.

What AJ does tomorrow or in the playoffs is irrelevant.  Most likely scenario is they let Jones walk and it's the AJ/Jamaal show next year.

GB brass just needs to look at what is happening in Dallas.  Zeke gets paid, and now there's already talk that he's washed and his cheaper backup is just as good.  Pretty easy to understand that you don't give an RB a big money contract, bust potential is high.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, CooL said:

Pretty sure that Green Bay has already decided yay or nay on Aaron Jones.  You don't draft an RB in the second round for him to be an apprentice for years, especially given the shelf life of an RB in his prime.  It's not like a quarterback.  You draft a stallion to let him run free on the track, not to keep him penned up in a stable.

What AJ does tomorrow or in the playoffs is irrelevant.  Most likely scenario is they let Jones walk and it's the AJ/Jamaal show next year.

GB brass just needs to look at what is happening in Dallas.  Zeke gets paid, and now there's already talk that he's washed and his cheaper backup is just as good.  Pretty easy to understand that you don't give an RB a big money contract, bust potential is high.

Running back is a young mans game. Teams should not look to extend contracts to rbs over the age of 26-27.

Someone mentioned GB having already made a decision on Jones before drafting Dillon, and logically it's impossible to disagree. You don't use a 2nd round pick for RB insurance. If they end up keeping Jones then this pick made absolutely zero sense. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Someone mentioned GB having already made a decision on Jones before drafting Dillon, and logically it's impossible to disagree. You don't use a 2nd round pick for RB insurance. If they end up keeping Jones then this pick made absolutely zero sense. 

The Packers have Aaron Rodgers and used a first on a QB. They have Tonyan and Sternberger and used a 3rd on a TE. 

Literally none of their picks made any sense. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

The Packers have Aaron Rodgers and used a first on a QB. They have Tonyan and Sternberger and used a 3rd on a TE. 

But Rodgers is 37 years old- believe the same age that Brett Favre was when the Packers selected Rodgers himself in the draft. It can take several years to develop a young quarterback and it’s fine to have them be an understudy to an aging veteran.

Tonyan was undrafted and had shown nothing until this year. Sternberger the same. So it’s not surprising that they picked another tight end. 
With running back, it makes no sense to use a second round pick on a player if you don’t plan to use him immediately. This was essentially a redshirt year for him, sitting behind two veterans and being out five weeks with Covid. I would be shocked if the plan was for him to be third fiddle again next year

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CooL said:

But Rodgers is 37 years old- believe the same age that Brett Favre was when the Packers selected Rodgers himself in the draft. It can take several years to develop a young quarterback and it’s fine to have them be an understudy to an aging veteran.

Tonyan was undrafted and had shown nothing until this year. Sternberger the same. So it’s not surprising that they picked another tight end. 
With running back, it makes no sense to use a second round pick on a player if you don’t plan to use him immediately. This was essentially a redshirt year for him, sitting behind two veterans and being out five weeks with Covid. I would be shocked if the plan was for him to be third fiddle again next year

I'm not pretending to know what the Packers have planned (if they even know), but Jones and Williams are BOTH FAs. it's very possible they throw money at Jones, let Williams walk for greener pastures, and use Jones and Dillon in a 55-45 split next season. Of course, it's also possible Jones and Williams are both gone, but I wouldn't bet my life savings that Dillon is getting more than 50% of the snap share in 2021. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

The picks make perfect sense. If you need fresh 21 year old rookies to come in and save your team you’ve already failed. The draft is where you build for the future, not plug immediate needs.

Edited by MJJ28
Just now, MJJ28 said:

The picks make perfect sense. If you need fresh 21 year old rookies to come in and save your team you’ve already failed. The draft is where you build for the future, not plug immediate needs.

First and second round picks should be difference makers! 

Everyone and their brother thought the Packers were taking a WR. Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman went shortly after they picked Love. They could have added a ton of impact players instead of Dillon in round 2. We aren't talking about 6th and 7th round projects here. 

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

First and second round picks should be difference makers! 

Everyone and their brother thought the Packers were taking a WR. Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman went shortly after they picked Love. They could have added a ton of impact players instead of Dillon in round 2. We aren't talking about 6th and 7th round projects here. 

Love and Dillon are difference makers and impact players. When Rodgers and Jones leave, Love and Dillon will be able to step right in and continue the Packers’ 30 year run of success.

There’s a reason why they’ve never had to rebuild and have only missed the playoffs a handful of times in the past 30 years.

Edited by MJJ28
27 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Love and Dillon are difference makers and impact players. When Rodgers and Jones leave, Love and Dillon will be able to step right in and continue the Packers’ 30 year run of success.

There’s a reason why they’ve never had to rebuild and have only missed the playoffs a handful of times in the past 30 years.

Fair enough. When you're a super bowl contender, I think you add players that help you win now, but hard to argue with your overall point.  

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Pretty amazing that they have a 28 year period being led by Favre and Rodgers.  And that's pretty much it, barring injury.  I don't know if any other teams can boast such a long period of top 10 ever HOF talents at the position.  No wonder why they are perennial contenders.

Now the same doesn't hold true at the RB position, because generally you get about 8 good years from an RB if you're lucky.  But the thinking is the same.  You always have to the next man up and ready to take his place.  With QB, that transition can be several years (Rodgers having to sit behind Favre, Love sitting behind Rodgers).  With RB, the transition tends to be much quicker.

I think Jones is as good as gone.  But just to cement it, I'm hoping AJ goes out tomorrow and balls, making it even less up for discussion.

• Like 1
On 1/2/2021 at 9:04 AM, Big Tuna said:

I dont think they will simply banish him back to the bench after that impressive display....they should find a way to work him in....fresh legs during playoffs is a good thing.  but obviously his value lies in what happens during FA

One carry for 3 yards. Yeah, they absolutely sent him right back to the bench, lol. 

I still believe.

Nothing to discuss really until the offseason.

Hoping it falls his way...

Edited by CooL
2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

One carry for 3 yards. Yeah, they absolutely sent him right back to the bench, lol. 

definitely did lol....I thought he earned the right to have a role going into the playoffs....guess they strictly view him as Jones insurance...he'll either be shooting up the rankings next year or sink like a stone depending solely on Jones FA,  

• Like 1