NBC Sports Edge Forums

A.J. Dillon 2020 Outlook

A good player to look at if you can keep a cheap keeper or dynasty.  Unless Aaron Jones goes down, you won't want to be having to start Dillon this year IMO. I'll be trying to get Dillon in my auctions for something like $1 or $2, and look at having a super keeper if Jones walks in the offseason.

Also cut the hate on my guy Lacy.  He's a good lad.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bro- have you seen his legs? 

well, neither did Lacey ...  

TERRIBLE draft pick. And it's not a knock on Dillon. Rodgers is an all-timer, you only have so many prime years left of him. 2nd round picks are very valuable, and the team had plenty of needs. 

I didn’t watch Dillon in college, but the lengthy highlight video I watched showed surprisingly good receiving ability for a back his size. Reports out of GB saying the same thing. I had been under the impression he was a 2 down banger, but may be much more versatile than that. 

8 minutes ago, CooL said:

Agreed. Reports are that he is behind Jamaal still. So he’s not even the handcuff. 

Show the reports. I haven't seen anything but the reports praising him. I guess we will see once final depth charts are released.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Show the reports. I haven't seen anything but the reports praising him. I guess we will see once final depth charts are released.

From this link....https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/31/encouraging-signs-coming-out-of-packers-training-camp/

Jamaal’s role

It gained some popularity to predict the Packers would move on from Williams this summer, especially with second-round pick A.J. Dillon in town. Not so fast. Williams improved as a receiving weapon this offseason, giving his game even more versatility. The Packers trust him to do everything. If he can add some big plays by beating linebackers in man coverage, he’ll become one of the NFL’s more valuable backups. Matt LaFleur wants to get all these running backs on the field. Williams will have a legitimate role, whether he’s running, receiving or blocking.

https://lombardiave.com/2020/09/01/packers-53-man-roster-predictions-two-weeks-season/2/

Now granted, this second link says Jamaal could be cut or traded but it's likely he starts the season as the number two back.  I think whatever the case, AJ Dillon's role is not clear except for the fact that he's clearly not going to usurp Aaron Jones.  Which is why he's cheaper than a lot of the other hotshot RBs like Taylor, JK Dobbins, Antonio Gibson, etc.

Running backs (6)

Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, A.J. Dillon, Dexter Williams, Tyler Ervin, John Lovett

The Packers may be forced to make a tough cut at the running back position. Six players in this group may be too many to carry into the regular season. But if Matt LaFleur wants to be able to run the ball more than last year, they may want more horses in the stable. Granted, Ervin is listed as a running back but has been getting a lot of work with the receiver group instead. So maybe keeping six backs will result in fewer receivers than we are used to seeing on the roster.

Like others around the internet, I think Jamaal Williams could be a cut or trade candidate. In his contract year, the Packers will have a decision to make at the end of this season. If they extend Jones, that wouldn’t leave a ton of space to re-sign Williams, especially after the Packers used a second-round pick on A.J. Dillon in this year’s draft. While I think Williams will start the season as the number two back, he may be on the outside looking in at some point this season if Dillon really comes on.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

How bad a 2nd round pick is this guy looking like right now?  Through three games he has 18 touches-- no!  18 snaps total.  Management should be ashamed. 

They drafted him to take over next season. Packers think Jones will be too expensive to resign. He was never going to have an impact this year unless Jones got hurt 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

They drafted him to take over next season. Packers think Jones will be too expensive to resign. He was never going to have an impact this year unless Jones got hurt 

At least give him some reps, hes gotta be better than that scrub jamaal williams

• Like 1

AJ is the bruiser type back they want. The combo of Jones/Williams is not that. Jones is the best all-around back on the team. I believe they will re-sign him and let Williams walk. Aaron Jones can be talked about among the elite RBs out there. He's a game-changer.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

Running backs grow on trees. If they thought using a 2nd round pick to reach for a project back who can't earn playing time now was good business, i don't know what to say. 

• Like 2

It was a dumb pick, regardless of the rationale. You have a team that can compete for a Super Bowl right now who also had a dire need at the WR position and you blew an opportunity to address it, instead drafting a running back that most had a 3rd round grade on when you already have a top-8 player at the position. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

How bad a 2nd round pick is this guy looking like right now?  Through three games he has 18 touches-- no!  18 snaps total.  Management should be ashamed. 

Well I wouldn’t say he was a bad pick. They have to plan for the future. Remember A. Jones was not drafted by this coaching staff. He may not be their type of back. Just speculating. But anyways, Derrick Henry, who is his comp, was a 2nd round pick and didn’t start his rookie year and barely saw the field. So I wouldn’t write him off just yet. On that same note, chiefs didn’t plan to draft mahomes, he fell they traded up. He sat the entire first year. I don’t think anyone is bashing the chiefs management. 

8 minutes ago, Jnerica said:

comp, was a 2nd round pick and didn’t start his rookie year

Henry was one of the best high school and college football players of all time, though. Not exactly the same pedigree here. 

Just now, JoeJoe88 said:

Henry was one of the best high school and college football players of all time, though. Not exactly the same pedigree here. 

Just comparing a 2nd round pick that wasn’t used his first year. I agree that Henry was a different level, Henry was the 2nd rb taken that year behind only zeke. My point was that we don’t know managements plan for him and there have been other backs that sat there first year. So you actually are making my point more valid, if Henry who was all worldly sat a lot his first year and it worked out for the franchise getting to an afc championship game last year, then MAYBE, GB is thinking the same with Dillon. But again we may be getting off topic here, as I was mainly referring to management being ashamed. 

Dillon is a stud and will demonstrate his value next season when Aaron Jones walks in free agency. Outside of the top few draft picks, the rookie draft is not where you find immediate help to fill needs. The Packers had a great draft and it will show in a few years when the team doesn’t suck post Rodgers.

• Like 1

TERRIBLE draft pick. And it's not a knock on Dillon. Rodgers is an all-timer, you only have so many prime years left of him. 2nd round picks are very valuable, and the team had plenty of needs. 

Jones is an absolute stud, and JWill is a capable backup. That's one of the top tandems in the league. 

They take a project RB and a project QB in the draft. I mean it's comically bad. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Jones is an absolute stud, and JWill is a capable backup. That's one of the top tandems in the league. 

They take a project RB and a project QB in the draft. I mean it's comically bad. 

The Packers draft was successful in one regard: it seemed to tee off Aaron Rodgers to such an extent that he came out this season breathing fire!

AJ Dillon is a player selected more for next year, as far as I can tell.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Where do I start... I think you may be comparing a fantasy league with actual football. Now ill say I have no idea if Dillon will work out, but there are many factors that play into that pick. You said jones is. An absolute stud at one of the most replaceable positions in all of football. Secondly the packers currently have 7 mil in cap space. Jones will command top 5 money next year which will be about 15-16 million dollars annually . Do you already see a problem in that math? Also a reason jones may be so successful is due to one of the highest o-line salaries in the league for the packers, where everyone except for the right guard is earning at least top 15 money. Not to mention the improved def salaries like the smith boys and lastly, I think that money is better spent on another wr or defensive upgrade than a rb running behind a good o line with a good about that keeps defenses honest... all that to say there were plenty of reasons to make that pick. Will Dillon work out, who knows but far from bad.