NBC Sports Edge Forums

A.J. Dillon 2020 Outlook

8 hours ago, Jnerica said:

Where do I start... I think you may be comparing a fantasy league with actual football. Now ill say I have no idea if Dillon will work out, but there are many factors that play into that pick. You said jones is. An absolute stud at one of the most replaceable positions in all of football. Secondly the packers currently have 7 mil in cap space. Jones will command top 5 money next year which will be about 15-16 million dollars annually . Do you already see a problem in that math? Also a reason jones may be so successful is due to one of the highest o-line salaries in the league for the packers, where everyone except for the right guard is earning at least top 15 money. Not to mention the improved def salaries like the smith boys and lastly, I think that money is better spent on another wr or defensive upgrade than a rb running behind a good o line with a good about that keeps defenses honest... all that to say there were plenty of reasons to make that pick. Will Dillon work out, who knows but far from bad. 

I get that, but Dillon can't do nearly what Jones does. He's an entirely different RB. So it's not like you're getting a Jones replacement (directly). Rodgers is dynamic, does a lot on the fly, a (very good) plodder isn't the greatest fit. 

I think you could make a strong case that JWill would actually be a better fit should Jones leave. 

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bro- have you seen his legs? 

well, neither did Lacey ...  

TERRIBLE draft pick. And it's not a knock on Dillon. Rodgers is an all-timer, you only have so many prime years left of him. 2nd round picks are very valuable, and the team had plenty of needs. 

2 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I get that, but Dillon can't do nearly what Jones does. He's an entirely different RB. So it's not like you're getting a Jones replacement (directly). Rodgers is dynamic, does a lot on the fly, a (very good) plodder isn't the greatest fit. 

I think you could make a strong case that JWill would actually be a better fit should Jones leave. 

Yea you are most likely right. My only defense is that the packers needed to address because more likely than not, jones will be gone next year

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jnerica said:

Yea you are most likely right. My only defense is that the packers needed to address because more likely than not, jones will be gone next year

Could have sworn I heard a week or two ago that they were working on getting something done with him. Maybe I'm misheard?

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

Could have sworn I heard a week or two ago that they were working on getting something done with him. Maybe I'm misheard?

They may if the price is right or if they can back load it. But the organization doesn’t know how these things will play out. Again I’m only saying it was not a completely unreasonable pick like the one poster stated.

I don't see his market value being huge. He's played so well, I like to think they will get something done. If they don't that's yet another blow to Aaron Rodgers. Jones has been tremendous for that offense.

13 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

They should have money, they've cheap'd the f--- out on offense for the past couple years and then some...

They are going to sign bakhtiari And Lindsey before Jones.   Once they are signed, there will be no money left for Jones, the front office knew this going into the draft, that is why they picked Dillon.

• Thanks 1
On 10/3/2020 at 11:19 AM, KennyWoo said:

Running backs grow on trees. If they thought using a 2nd round pick to reach for a project back who can't earn playing time now was good business, i don't know what to say. 

Did you see their 1st round pick?

8 minutes ago, Loadedbrewer said:

They are going to sign bakhtiari And Lindsey before Jones.   Once they are signed, there will be no money left for Jones, the front office knew this going into the draft, that is why they picked Dillon.

Then why multiple reports of them working on a deal with him? Last one was two weeks ago.

13 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Then why multiple reports of them working on a deal with him? Last one was two weeks ago.

Multiple reports that have led to nothing.....most unconfirmed reports are agents leaking info trying to get a deal.  Until Bakhtairi is signed, Jones isn’t getting a deal

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

You’re out of your mind if you think Dillon is a plodder. Go look at his 7 carries, 5 of them are highlight real worthy. He is a complete freak of nature athletically, nimble as hell for his size, and has good hands. He’s going to be a stud.

1 hour ago, MJJ28 said:

You’re out of your mind if you think Dillon is a plodder. Go look at his 7 carries, 5 of them are highlight real worthy. He is a complete freak of nature athletically, nimble as hell for his size, and has good hands. He’s going to be a stud.

I don't mean he's a plodder like present day Hyde or Alfred Morris, but he'd be in the Derrick Henry mold, albeit a little more nimble. He's a 1st/2nd down bruiser who doesn't catch passes who would never play third downs. Jones is an excellent receiving back, so my point was just that you're going from a very dynamic back to more of a downhill pound it thirty times and wear down the defense type back. I feel like a guy like CEH would be a better back for Rodgers (if you were looking for a Jones replacement). 

I realize he's had very limited touches but his long is 12 and he's averaging 4.4 YPC. So say the 12-yarder was highlight worthy, you're left with 6 for 19. We may have different opinions on "highlight". 

Edited by BGDDYKWL
6 hours ago, Loadedbrewer said:

Multiple reports that have led to nothing.....most unconfirmed reports are agents leaking info trying to get a deal.  Until Bakhtairi is signed, Jones isn’t getting a deal

You don't know what it will lead to. You're just guessing.

My dad went to BC so I watched him a lot in college and one thing he definitely doesn't have is 'good hands', his hands are bricks. That's not to say he won't improve over time but it's certainly one of the weakest parts of his game. This man is basically just a Derrick Henry regen, he's absolutely massive and is ridiculously fast for his size. If the Packers don't resign Jones, you will want AJ on all your teams next year

10 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

So a couple runs late in the 4th quarter in a blowout game? No offense buddy, but none of that was close to “highlight worthy”.