NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tee Higgins 2020 Outlook

• Bengals selected Clemson WR Tee Higgins with the No. 33 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Higgins (6’4/216) was a two-year starting outside receiver at Clemson who earned first-team All-ACC honors as a true junior. He posted a 59/1,167/13 receiving line, averaged the third-most yards per target (13.4) in the draft class, and came down with 15-of-23 deep targets for 565 yards, per PFF. The combination of his size, physicality, and contested catch ability make him a mismatch for undersized corners, but he needs to improve as a route runner to reach his ceiling since he lacks elite burst. At his Pro Day, he posted a 31-inch vertical and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.54 seconds, which included an abysmal 2nd-percentile 10-yard split. In the NFL, Higgins, 21, is likely headed for a WR2 role where he specializes in the red zone and on downfield shots in the NFL. The Bengals have drafted QB Joe Burrow and now Higgins to kick off their draft. Higgins' addition could be bad news for Auden Tate.

Apr 24, 2020, 7:16 PM ET

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sooo does that salty aj green owner show his face in our thread again or is that the last time we hear from him 😂

C’mon.  AJ is a ‘92 Honda Accord.  And not a DX.  He’s an EX, with the leather, high end trim package, rims, sunroof, 6 disc changer.  240,000 miles and two hailstorms ago he was a sweet ride.  But sa

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I love Tee as a player. Really bad spot though.

Not great for this year, but it should pay dividends next year and beyond. He has a great opportunity to learn behind AJG and be paired up with a franchise QB. He’ll get lost in the mix this year (barring injuries), but I like Higgins as a soph. 

3 hours ago, The G Man said:
  • Higgins' addition could be bad news for Auden Tate.

agree with dmb: love the player, but something's gotta give for tee higgins to be relevant: aj green, tyler boyd, john ross, auden tate. even alex erickson looked good at times last season. auden tate looked great: huge, aggressive, and constantly fighting for the ball.

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Not great for this year, but it should pay dividends next year and beyond. He has a great opportunity to learn behind AJG and be paired up with a franchise QB. He’ll get lost in the mix this year (barring injuries), but I like Higgins as a soph. 

agreed, if your dynasty bench can handle it, a seat for tee higgins should pay off (by his third year?). he should grow with burrow, in theory... but there has to be some personnel shifting. i love aj green, but he seems like the obvious guy to offload. and even with AJG gone, it still seems a little crowded. talent has a way of surfacing, of course, so tee may get his shot, but boyd and ross each have their own moments, and auden tate looked great in each game he played. 

for me, my high hopes on higgins have dropped with him landing in cincinnati. rather than reach for him in dynasty, i'll only draft tee higgins if he falls to me.

1175601928.jpg.jpg

5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It'll be interesting to see if the rift between AJ Green and the team is resolved.  Still no extension yet.

I don’t think there will be an extension. Cincy has the foundation of its skilled offense going forward. Fix the OL, and we’ll probably be looking at a very potent offense in the next couple of years. 

11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Ehh, I'm not a Burrow believer, and I think Boyd is really good. 

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don’t think there will be an extension. Cincy has the foundation of its skilled offense going forward. Fix the OL, and we’ll probably be looking at a very potent offense in the next couple of years. 

Well if last year is any indication, no extension means some weird "injuries" and disgruntled-ness.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Tee Higgins 2020 Outlook

Facts: 

-Tyler Boyd had the 7th most targets last year and turned it into the 25th most yards.

-Tee Higgins has a 96th percentile college breakout age (18.6 years).

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

-Tyler Boyd had the 7th most targets last year and turned it into the 25th most yards.

Look, I'm as much a box score bandit as the next guy, but shall we take into account the yd/target of Dalton as a QB, or that offense, or the role that Boyd plays in the Cinci offense (where Ross had more deep balls on fewer targets), or any other number of things?

As far as I understand Tee is more of a wide-out while Tyler plays more in the slot, correct.

John Ross doesn't seem like a big factor in the Bengals offense.

AJ green is 32 and a prime trade candidate.

Boyd and Tate are 2 good receivers but Higgins looks like an alpha WR to me. He uses his big body well to go up over defenders and catch it with his hands. 

I think he sees rotational playing time to start, if injuries start to mount up at WR for the Bengals he could see his way into the starting lineup by mid season.

I don't think guys like Alex Erickson or John Ross can keep Higgins talent off the field.

15 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

John Ross doesn't seem like a big factor in the Bengals offense.

AJ green is 32 and a prime trade candidate.

Boyd and Tate are 2 good receivers but Higgins looks like an alpha WR to me. He uses his big body well to go up over defenders and catch it with his hands. 

I think he sees rotational playing time to start, if injuries start to mount up at WR for the Bengals he could see his way into the starting lineup by mid season.

I don't think guys like Alex Erickson or John Ross can keep Higgins talent off the field.

You think Auden Tate is going to start for half a season over their 33rd-picked stud WR?

16 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I'm not super familiar with Tate to be honest.

I'm not sure but I don't think it takes Higgins long to assert himself as a top WR on that team.

Ok, fair enough.  I fully expect Higgins to be starting by Week One.

Both Higgins and Boyd are great dynasty targets...if Burrow continues his stardom... Mixon passing numbers should jump to CEH levels.. This is gonna be a great offense if their o line gets Burrow enough time to be Burrow... Buy Higgins

• Like 1
16 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Facts: 

Fact:  that stat is useless. Watch the dude play.

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

What exactly does Boyd have to do with Higgins?

They are on the same team and play on the same team.

Edited by dmb3684
1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

They are on the same team and play on the same team.

The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Haha 2
15 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Fact:  that stat is useless. Watch the dude play.

Its only useless if you think he's gonna get the 7th most targets every single year. Which isn't gonna happen. Otherwise it's a useful way to determine that he doesn't score many fantasy points per target.