NBC Sports Edge Forums

Raheem Mostert 2020 Outlook

16 games last year kid had 772 yards on 137 carries w/8 Tds to go along with 14 rec 180 yards and 2 scores. Very little tread on the tire with a career 178 carries. With Brenda traded to Mia, Coleman ineffective and McKinnon coming off 2 injured seasons, is it time for Raheem to get bulk of the carries? Is it unrealistic to expect a jump in carries? 250+?

• Like 1
  • Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Debateable.  Every week they have projected points for Hollywood Brown.

Raheem Most Hurt

Or Most hurt. Depends how you wanna look at it    

Posted Images

Seems likely that Coleman will be given another chance. And if McKinnon can get healthy, he'll get some touches, too. I'd have a hard time putting Mostert over 200 carries...much less 250. Only 8 guys had 250+ carries in 2019...20 had 200+. 

I do believe Mostert is the best option for FF in that backfield, but yeah, I think 250 carries is pretty unrealistic. 

• Like 2

I read that if they cut Coleman they save like 4.5 mil. No dead money. That $ could come in handy with Trent on the roster now. Also, heard Coleman was available for trade. Was kinda hoping McKinnon would be pass catching back and Wilson there for insurance. 

Edited by OrangeCrush
21 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Seems likely that Coleman will be given another chance. And if McKinnon can get healthy, he'll get some touches, too. I'd have a hard time putting Mostert over 200 carries...much less 250. Only 8 guys had 250+ carries in 2019...20 had 200+. 

I do believe Mostert is the best option for FF in that backfield, but yeah, I think 250 carries is pretty unrealistic. 

Freeman got 265 in 2015, but yeah 250 sounds like a lot for a Kyle Shanahan back, particularly as you say given the competition.

A 1A in that amazingly productive rushing offense is still a great thing to have, even if the touches are limited. I absolutely expect Coleman to get his share and to frustrate Mostert owners, but i'll definitely keep an eye on this.   If Mostert can have a few 25-30 pointers to offset some duds, i can stomach the roller coaster.

Buuuuut, they can easily give McKinnon or even Wilson enough touches to make that weekly floor practically subterranean.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, lolcopter said:

I'm not super high on Mostert but Coleman sucks, wouldn't worry about him that much at all

Coleman is a terrific receiving back and mediocre runner. Oddly enough he's never been used to his strengths his whole career, and he's had Shanahan twice.

Edited by Evincar
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Devonta Freeman is still out there.  The wheels came off last year but you could see Shanny entertaining his old buddy for one last ride at the right price.

As sad as this is it's probably true. Here's a theory that seems pretty reasonable to me considering our current time: Mostert was shipped because they want to add another 2-3 backs for the committee, and he did too well in 2019 to be happy w/a committee approach..

RB position is in a state of crisis in FFB. RB spots should be freed up to flex (RB/WR/TE) spots. I'm not doing it yet as a commish but anyone can see where this is going. 6 Flex spots (convert 2 WR and 1 TE requirements as well) is going to be the future in standard league drafting imo. That gives owners at least a fighting chance of predicting what their draftees are going to give them.

RBBC is now a "real NFL strategy" in REAL drafts. So should it be in FFB imo.

Edited by SuperJoint
  • Like 2
On 4/26/2020 at 11:21 PM, SuperJoint said:

As sad as this is it's probably true. Here's a theory that seems pretty reasonable to me considering our current time: Mostert was shipped because they want to add another 2-3 backs for the committee, and he did too well in 2019 to be happy w/a committee approach..

RB position is in a state of crisis in FFB. RB spots should be freed up to flex (RB/WR/TE) spots. I'm not doing it yet as a commish but anyone can see where this is going. 6 Flex spots (convert 2 WR and 1 TE requirements as well) is going to be the future in standard league drafting imo. That gives owners at least a fighting chance of predicting what their draftees are going to give them.

RBBC is now a "real NFL strategy" in REAL drafts. So should it be in FFB imo.

Interesting... So what would a starting lineup look like in your proposed format?

On 4/26/2020 at 6:31 PM, JE7HorseGod said:

Devonta Freeman is still out there.  The wheels came off last year but you could see Shanny entertaining his old buddy for one last ride at the right price.

McKinnon

Coleman

Mostert

It isn't event of the realm that Jalen Hurd gets carries at this point. 

• NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco suggests Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman are "likely to share the load on base downs".

It's significant speculation since Maiocco had his finger on the pulse of Matt Breida's dwindling status with San Francisco throughout the pre-draft process. Maiocco also suggests Jerick McKinnon could be a "huge addition for his ability to catch passes" assuming he's closer to full health this year. Coach Kyle Shanahan preferred a hot-hand approach throughout the regular season and in three playoff tilts, so it should come as no surprise that the offense is likely to stick with that method following Breida's trade. Jeff Wilson and UDFAs JaMycal Hasty and Salvon Ahmed are also options if McKinnon isn't cleared as the team's No. 3 back. Mostert (RB30) and Coleman (RB41) are currently being drafted roughly five rounds apart in offseason Best-Ball and redraft leagues, keeping the latter as a value-based mid-round option.

Apr 28, 2020, 11:29 AM ET

•  

This is one of the best rushing teams in the NFL but I want absolutely nothing to do with the backfield. 

Week to week it's absurdly frustrating. It's going to be an RBBC unless they get an elite talent at RB and obviously that's not the case this year. No thanks. 

If McKinnon can stay healthy this year I see this being the Mostert and McKinnon show. It may start out with Mostert and Coleman but I believe Coleman is done. I was kinda hoping we would get rid of Coleman and McKinnon  and keep Brieda but oh well.

• 2 months later...

I just read he asked for a trade.  I have no idea how accurate that report is or how fractured the contract extension talks have gotten.  He should get a bump in pay for his play last year and assumed role this year.

If McKinnon can't/doesn't make it back to the field, I really don’t think this rushing attack is deep enough.  If Mostert splits, that leaves them with Coleman and Jeff Wilson.  I happen to like the kid from Baylor, but he's got to make the squad first.  Not sure if they'll turn to Hurd or let him keep learning WR.

33 minutes ago, JAG said:

I just read he asked for a trade.  I have no idea how accurate that report is or how fractured the contract extension talks have gotten.  He should get a bump in pay for his play last year and assumed role this year.

If McKinnon can't/doesn't make it back to the field, I really don’t think this rushing attack is deep enough.  If Mostert splits, that leaves them with Coleman and Jeff Wilson.  I happen to like the kid from Baylor, but he's got to make the squad first.  Not sure if they'll turn to Hurd or let him keep learning WR.

or they sign Devonta Freeman 

32 minutes ago, JAG said:

It's also worth noting Jerick McKinnon (ACL) has yet to resume cutting. 

59 minutes ago, JAG said:

good luck trying to strong arm the family that invented rb by committee.  

Mostert will come crawling back like MG3 soon enough.  

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The Shanahans invented RBBC?  Now I’ve heard everything

The man may be wrong on that front in term of inventing it but they are the epitome of next man up. Trade Portis and don't miss a beat, Mike Anderson, Mike Bell, Tatum Bell etc... Made Alfred Morris back to back 1600 yard rusher. Kyle made Steve Slaton relevant for a year, a 28 year old who lead the league in average yards per attempt before contact (ie whats blocked, schemed for you) think he's wanted elsewhere, guess who was 2nd on that list a younger Breida all he got in a trade was a 5th from a team who had 14 draft picks on the day so could afford it. Mostert's agent may not be wise or know analytics or know the value of a RB etc...

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The Shanahans invented RBBC?  Now I’ve heard everything

Mostly just a joke... 
but Denver had something like 6 different rbs in 9 years lead the team and break 1000.   Don’t quote me,  I’d have to look it up.  

Kyle has taken it a step further 

@turner46 nailed it 

• Like 2

Lol good luck to this guy. NFL teams aren't chomping at the bit to trade for 28 year old UDFA running backs. I feel for the man because RB's are def screwed in today's NFL but he and his agent are confused if they think this gives them an ounce of leverage.

• Like 2