NBC Sports Edge Forums

Raheem Mostert 2020 Outlook

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Debateable.  Every week they have projected points for Hollywood Brown.

Raheem Most Hurt

Or Most hurt. Depends how you wanna look at it    

Posted Images

I was kind of surprised his current deal was as lucrative as it was, seeing as how he signed it in March 2019 before the boom .   I really like this guy but I'd all but make him DND if he was traded to another offense.   He's not gonna struggle to put food on the table this year (2.5 mil salary) and his best bet to really cash in is to repeat his production.........which he won't do anywhere else.  Stay put, run angry every single time, and it'll work out

9 hours ago, BrianM said:

I was kind of surprised his current deal was as lucrative as it was, seeing as how he signed it in March 2019 before the boom .   I really like this guy but I'd all but make him DND if he was traded to another offense.   He's not gonna struggle to put food on the table this year (2.5 mil salary) and his best bet to really cash in is to repeat his production.........which he won't do anywhere else.  Stay put, run angry every single time, and it'll work out

If by “work out”,  you mean he’ll be allowed to play out his deal for 2.5M/ year.     

no one is paying 4+M for a journeyman 28 year old rb.    I don’t know how many times folks need to see this play out with a random Shanny rb before realizing it’s the system that makes them productive.      

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

He's a career journeyman who's only had one good season which was this past one, trade the one hit wonder. SF already has 10 other RB's on their roster already.

I don’t get this dude either. He had a few massive games where he scored a bunch of tds, but otherwise a ton of sub 100 yard games. Career journeyman. Getting paid an astounding $2.5M. And now the dude thinks he’s worth more? He’s lucky to be the “starter”, and that’s using the term cautiously given Shanny and all the other RBs they have. Guy’s head is so big right now that somebody needs to pop it. Trade the dude or just let him hold out, who cares. 

• Like 3

I don’t think Mostert should be blamed for at least trying to cash in on a breakout season: he’s reaching the end of the line and plays a severely devalued position, and he negotiated that contract back before he was given an opportunity to see what he could do as a key component on offense.  An expansion in responsibility is customarily rewarded with a concomitant increase in salary.  I don’t the Niners will go for it, though they might agree to meet somewhere in the middle as a show of gratitude.

• Like 4
55 minutes ago, CooL said:

I don’t get this dude either. He had a few massive games where he scored a bunch of tds, but otherwise a ton of sub 100 yard games. Career journeyman. Getting paid an astounding $2.5M. And now the dude thinks he’s worth more? He’s lucky to be the “starter”, and that’s using the term cautiously given Shanny and all the other RBs they have. Guy’s head is so big right now that somebody needs to pop it. Trade the dude or just let him hold out, who cares. 

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, so if not I'm confused by the over the top and emotional tone of your post.  Mostert is much better than Coleman who looks washed.  Coleman is only organizational depth at this point.  The only other RB they have is a COP / 3rd down back who's had multiple knee injuries and still can't make cuts or football moves.  All Mostert's asking for is Tevin Coleman $, which is more than fair cosidering Coleman  is barely capable of logging 5 carries per game at this point.

Edited by El_Chingon

It is prob fair for him to ask for a modest raise, which obv his agent did...and was rebuffed, so he went to social media to gripe (dumb imo).

I believe I saw a tweet that said at his current salary he is around the top 20 overall compensated back...which ain't bad considering his limited track record.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It is prob fair for him to ask for a modest raise, which obv his agent did...and was rebuffed, so he went to social media to gripe (dumb imo).

I believe I saw a tweet that said at his current salary he is around the top 20 overall compensated back...which ain't bad considering his limited track record.

Maybe - but what other leverage does his agent have, really?  Maybe he felt a “public shaming” might force the Niners’ hand.

I’m beginning to think all NFL contracts should be almost entirely incentive based. At least start w the RBs.

This whole “I’m worth more,” tho valid, is retrospective and tiresome and teams are wising up left and right to stop giving a f. RBs are like tires.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Proteus said:

I’m beginning to think all NFL contracts should be almost entirely incentive based. At least start w the RBs.

This whole “I’m worth more,” tho valid, is retrospective and tiresome and teams are wising up left and right to stop giving a f. RBs are like tires.

The owners would certainly agree - it’s not difficult to manipulate usage and PT to prevent incentives from being reached.

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Maybe - but what other leverage does his agent have, really?  Maybe he felt a “public shaming” might force the Niners’ hand.

Stupid of them if they think so.   He cannot force their hand...all he can do it piss away a good opportunity while being paid millions a year to play football.   I swear these agents cost their clients as much as they make them 

56 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The owners would certainly agree - it’s not difficult to manipulate usage and PT to prevent incentives from being reached.

Fair point. But it never sits well with me that “run him into the ground” has become idiomatic either.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Stupid of them if they think so.   He cannot force their hand...all he can do it piss away a good opportunity while being paid millions a year to play football.   I swear these agents cost their clients as much as they make them 

I highly doubt his agent would accept a trade to a team only willing to pay him less money.

5 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, so if not I'm confused by the over the top and emotional tone of your post.  Mostert is much better than Coleman who looks washed.  Coleman is only organizational depth at this point.  The only other RB they have is a COP / 3rd down back who's had multiple knee injuries and still can't make cuts or football moves.  All Mostert's asking for is Tevin Coleman $, which is more than fair cosidering Coleman  is barely capable of logging 5 carries per game at this point.

Over the top and emotional?  No bro, I'm just being realistic.  I don't own Mostert anywhere, not a Niner fan, and I'm not related to him, so I really don't have a horse in this race.  Just trying to speak the truth.  He is a career journeyman mostly known as a core special teamer up until getting an opportunity last year.  Yes, I get it.  He is being paid less than Tevin Coleman who is making $4.5M and he outplayed him last year.  So understandably he wants a raise.  But that's not how contracts work.  Teams are reluctant to renegotiate if they don't have to.  And typically the only time that gets done is if the guy is a superstar.  Otherwise you hold out or you get traded.  Backs are interchangeable in the Shanny system.  Everyone knows that.  So why try to shame the team by going on social media?  That's Mostert's only option.  Because seriously, where would he go where he would get the same opportunity to play and show his skills?  He's approaching 30, and no team is going to give him a big time deal.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, CooL said:

Over the top and emotional?  No bro, I'm just being realistic.  I don't own Mostert anywhere, not a Niner fan, and I'm not related to him, so I really don't have a horse in this race.  Just trying to speak the truth.  He is a career journeyman mostly known as a core special teamer up until getting an opportunity last year.  Yes, I get it.  He is being paid less than Tevin Coleman who is making $4.5M and he outplayed him last year.  So understandably he wants a raise.  But that's not how contracts work.  Teams are reluctant to renegotiate if they don't have to.  And typically the only time that gets done is if the guy is a superstar.  Otherwise you hold out or you get traded.  Backs are interchangeable in the Shanny system.  Everyone knows that.  So why try to shame the team by going on social media?  That's Mostert's only option.  Because seriously, where would he go where he would get the same opportunity to play and show his skills?  He's approaching 30, and no team is going to give him a big time deal.

Bingo.  He just got a raise too.  

Would it have been prudent for his agent to advise waiting a season before asking for a raise?  In hindsight-  yes.  He prob gets something like 3/12 this season.   Whoops.  Should have bet on yourself.  

Now you look like a malcontent with a pain in the azz agent who wants money every chance he can get.   Then you compound that mistake by making it public.   

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 4
16 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Bingo.  He just got a raise too.  

Would it have been prudent for his agent to advise waiting a season before asking for a raise?  In hindsight-  yes.  He prob gets something like 3/12 this season.   Whoops.  Should have bet on yourself.  

Now you look like a malcontent with a pain in the azz agent who wants money every chance he can get.   Then you compound that mistake by making it public.   

Exactly.  He has been a complete zero until last year.  Yes, he put together a great season.  But nobody wants to be Matt Flynned or Brock Osweilered again.  Especially for an 28 year-old running back who is approaching that proverbial cliff.  He looks greedy.  Yet he and his agent know that if they waited another season and he were a year older, he's likely to face the same difficulty in getting a multiyear deal.

RBs have short life spans in this league.  His problem is that he didn't put together anything tape worthy until this past year.  Yeah, he lacked opportunity, blah blah blah.  But that's life and the reality of the NFL.  He may have always had these skills but just never had a chance to showcase them.  But that's how it goes.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, CooL said:

Exactly.  He has been a complete zero until last year.  Yes, he put together a great season.  But nobody wants to be Matt Flynned or Brock Osweilered again.  Especially for an 28 year-old running back who is approaching that proverbial cliff.  He looks greedy.  Yet he and his agent know that if they waited another season and he were a year older, he's likely to face the same difficulty in getting a multiyear deal.

RBs have short life spans in this league.  His problem is that he didn't put together anything tape worthy until this past year.  Yeah, he lacked opportunity, blah blah blah.  But that's life and the reality of the NFL.  He may have always had these skills but just never had a chance to showcase them.  But that's how it goes.  

Brock and Matt required much more than maybe an extra mill - bad comparison.

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Brock and Matt required much more than maybe an extra mill - bad comparison.

Yeah, I know that Flynn and Brock got much bigger deals.  But the point is that they were one year wonders, or in the case of Flynn, one game wonders.  I can't think of any other players that were nobodies, played well briefly, and then immediately got a bigger contract after asking for one the following year.   Merely trying to make the comparison that teams have been burned in the past.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CooL said:

Yeah, I know that Flynn and Brock got much bigger deals.  But the point is that they were one year wonders, or in the case of Flynn, one game wonders.  I can't think of any other players that were nobodies, played well briefly, and then immediately got a bigger contract after asking for one the following year.   Merely trying to make the comparison that teams have been burned in the past.

Damien Williams

4 minutes ago, CooL said:

Right - we can all fish for examples - but in the end, it wouldn’t put the team in a bad financial situation or deteriorate morale to send an extra mill his way.

23 minutes ago, CooL said:

To be fair to Flynn, he never had a chance to prove he was worth the contract. He signed and then Seattle drafted Wilson, iirc. Flynn wasn’t on Wilson’s talent level, so he never became the starter for Seattle, even though he signed a contract with the intention from both sides to make him the starter. It wasn’t like he signed a huge deal and then bombed out. Seattle just found a better QB in the draft after signing him. 

4 hours ago, BMcP said:

He should play the race card. Its power has never been higher. SF will run like scared rabbits and pay him $10m/year lol 

Really though if the logic is he did well for a whole half season-ish so he deserves more, I'd say OK....give him a bigger contract...but if he sucks, then he has to pay it back (and then some if he sucks bad enough). The "pay according to performance" works both ways. Or should

• Haha 1