NBC Sports Edge Forums

Raheem Mostert 2020 Outlook

Add me to the bunch surprised that this actually ended quickly and happily for Mostert.   All systems go, still happy to draft him even in a timeshare

6 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

This "pivot to Coleman" news needs to stop, especially by rotoworld. Dude has had his chances over and over and he can never capitalize on them or stay consistent, and his upright style leads to some type of dinging up every year.

Agreed. Coleman's not gonna go away completely, but Mostert shouldnt have to go crazy to keep at least a 50% piece of this share.   Coleman has never played well enough to shake his in house competition, its not gonna start now

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Debateable.  Every week they have projected points for Hollywood Brown.

Raheem Most Hurt

Or Most hurt. Depends how you wanna look at it    

Posted Images

16 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

This "pivot to Coleman" news needs to stop, especially by rotoworld. Dude has had his chances over and over and he can never capitalize on them or stay consistent, and his upright style leads to some type of dinging up every year.

Drafting Mostert is a questionable proposition, but the trade of Breida makes it clear Mostert will get some money touches, while being spelled be Coleman on some plays or even some drives. I can see it being a 70-30% drive split. 

Love me some mostert, especially after that playoff run

to play devils advocate, could the breida trade be more about mckinnon and less about mostert?  Probably a bit of both

the way i look at mostert is if he ends up  top 17 fantasy rb i will be happy. top 12 would be great for the shares I own. He could also be 2019 damien williams. I still say 2019 damien williams were not wrong we just got unlucky that he got injured and the mostert 2020 price is a few rounds cheaper than 2019 damien. Tevin coleman to me is no threat to mostert. A healthy mckinnon or one of the rookies will be a bigger threat to mostert. 

On 7/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, CViewPride35 said:

I am just gonna go out on a limb and say he will finish top 8rb this year. 

1,650 total yds, 35 rec, 12tds. 

He will have some bust weeks but his boom weeks will be golden. 

I would be comfortable taking him anytime starting rd 4. 

Lol. The guy you're projecting won't be making it past pick 6 overall. 

I don't know the future, but I KNOW that projection is not Raheem Mosterts future. 

• Thanks 1

I did a mock draft today and ended in a situation where I really needed a RB, and Mostert was there along with some equally unappealing RB's. 

I took another receiver. 

JMcK is still on this team and has no future after 2020 with the 49ers. Shannyn and Lynch both wanna prove they knew what they were doing and try to squeeze some juice from that rock. And we all know the expression... 3rd times a charm. This is the year that he does just enough to ruin it for everyone I believe. 

On 7/29/2020 at 6:40 PM, CViewPride35 said:

I am just gonna go out on a limb and say he will finish top 8rb this year. 

1,650 total yds, 35 rec, 12tds. 

He will have some bust weeks but his boom weeks will be golden. 

I would be comfortable taking him anytime starting rd 4. 

That's about 5 guys in the past 3 years total that have reach those lofty numbers.
Even his own numbers don't add up to that. If I take his last 5 games (in which he did insanely well) I get to 1400 yd and 20 rec, and based on that yardage, 10 TD would already be great.

Mind you, that would still put him clearly in the RB1 discussion, but I'm taking the under on all of those numbers. If you just wanted to say this is a guy with great upside if you can get him a bit later then I'm all with you, but let's not project him in the Zeke/AK/CMC tier, because he isn't

From Lynch:

“Now, I love Raheem and I love his family,” Lynch said. “It’s sometimes frustrating during these [negotiations]. But I was a player, so I understand that you don’t talk directly with a player. You’re talking with an agent.

“And sometimes I think because of that there can be things lost in communication. What we ultimately did [in revising his contract], we always planned on doing, so it’s frustrating that that did have to transpire. But cooler heads had to prevail, and we had to understand that Raheem is a very important player to our team.”

I have a little more confidence in Raheem given the contract adjustment and withdrawal of the trade request. McKinnon doesn't really concern me that much. He hasn't played in 2 years and hasn't averaged over 4 YPC since 2015. I think if anything he'll end up taking some receptions and third downs. Probably splitting time with Coleman in that. I don't think Shanny will go out of his way to play McKinnon to "prove" he knew what he was doing. He's a successful coach he doesn't need to prove anything by playing an RB he wanted to sign 2 years ago. I don't think his ego is that big.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bangarrang said:

From Lynch:

I have a little more confidence in Raheem given the contract adjustment and withdrawal of the trade request. McKinnon doesn't really concern me that much. He hasn't played in 2 years and hasn't averaged over 4 YPC since 2015. I think if anything he'll end up taking some receptions and third downs. Probably splitting time with Coleman in that. I don't think Shanny will go out of his way to play McKinnon to "prove" he knew what he was doing. He's a successful coach he doesn't need to prove anything by playing an RB he wanted to sign 2 years ago. I don't think his ego is that big.

Why resign him again when you have later round and UDFAs that are dirt cheap and haven't missed 2 straight seasons on the roster that can make literally any RB viable? 

JMcK, if healthy, is gonna see some work IMO. 

The split of the work is gonna be the question. 

• Like 1

I do have to concede the same about Mckinnon.  They're not keeping him around to be a spare part, but its still an uphill battle that he stays healthy and produces enough to maintain a high touch count.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 1:19 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Why resign him again when you have later round and UDFAs that are dirt cheap and haven't missed 2 straight seasons on the roster that can make literally any RB viable? 

JMcK, if healthy, is gonna see some work IMO. 

The split of the work is gonna be the question. 

Bc it’s a fallacy that any rb will do what he did. He out performed coleman and anyone else the 9ers used, but now it’s a guarantee any UFA will replicate his production? The fact they did adjust his contract re assured me of his role. Coleman is the odd man out here imo, assuming jet stays healthy.

• Like 1
  • The Mercury News' Cam Inman notes the order of the 49ers RB rotation at the first practice was Raheem Mostert, Tevin Coleman, Jerick McKinnon, Jeff Wilson and Jamycal Hasty.

These are the reports that we've been waiting for all offseason. The order of the rotation is what has been projected by the fantasy community, although it's not guaranteed to last the entire season. Coleman may get some "starts" as the 49ers look to wear out defenses with his bigger body, but Mostert is the favorite to lead the backfield in touches after a huge end of the 2019 season. Inman also notes that McKinnon (knee) looked much better in practice than he did a year ago. When asked about McKinnon, coach Kyle Shanahan said, "It’s still the first step, first day but you can tell it healed right." If things go smoothly, McKinnon could mix in as a third-down back behind Mostert and Coleman. The 49ers running backs combined for the fourth-most PPR points in the NFL last season.

SOURCE: Mercury News
    Aug 15, 2020, 7:49 PM ET

•  
23 hours ago, The G Man said:
  • The Mercury News' Cam Inman notes the order of the 49ers RB rotation at the first practice was Raheem Mostert, Tevin Coleman, Jerick McKinnon, Jeff Wilson and Jamycal Hasty.

These are the reports that we've been waiting for all offseason. The order of the rotation is what has been projected by the fantasy community, although it's not guaranteed to last the entire season. Coleman may get some "starts" as the 49ers look to wear out defenses with his bigger body, but Mostert is the favorite to lead the backfield in touches after a huge end of the 2019 season. Inman also notes that McKinnon (knee) looked much better in practice than he did a year ago. When asked about McKinnon, coach Kyle Shanahan said, "It’s still the first step, first day but you can tell it healed right." If things go smoothly, McKinnon could mix in as a third-down back behind Mostert and Coleman. The 49ers running backs combined for the fourth-most PPR points in the NFL last season.

I fully expect that Coleman will get some "starts" but I don't think that's a stat that matters, who gets the first carries of the game. Also according to NFL.com they're about the same size so I don't know what Cam Inman is talking about with bigger body Raheem is 5-10 205lb and Coleman is 6-1 210lb.

I don't worry about McKinnon much but I do think he'll take some receptions away. Not crazy about that in PPR.

I could be wrong, but I just can't see McKinnon having too much of a role or even being the same player they signed a couple of years ago. I think it'll be the Coleman and Mostert show with McKinnon getting sprinkled in some. Tbh, Mostert is the one who's earned the bulk of the touches with his performance last year. Jmho. 

Dude runs like he has rocket boosters on his feet. Shanny gonna shanny and pound the rock. Sign me up, 5th round is a steal for what he’s going to do this year. I’d predict 1100 rushing with 13 touchdowns and like 15ish catches. 

• Like 2
On 8/21/2020 at 11:09 PM, Ryansm11 said:

Dude runs like he has rocket boosters on his feet. Shanny gonna shanny and pound the rock. Sign me up, 5th round is a steal for what he’s going to do this year. I’d predict 1100 rushing with 13 touchdowns and like 15ish catches. 

Agree.  Clearly separated himself from the pack as the best back on this roster, and they know it.  

Every team has RB depth competing for touches.  McKinnon and Coleman are decent but not of major concern.  I expect Mostert to be the main attraction and he's going to have a big year on a run heavy team with an excellent defense.  

• Like 3
10 hours ago, SpartanEric said:

Agree.  Clearly separated himself from the pack as the best back on this roster, and they know it.  

Every team has RB depth competing for touches.  McKinnon and Coleman are decent but not of major concern.  I expect Mostert to be the main attraction and he's going to have a big year on a run heavy team with an excellent defense.  

Jamycal Hasty is also turning some heads in camp. I assume he won't make it but could probably make it in from the practice squad if they need (or if any of the first three go down).

I am struggling with the 2/3 turn pick 24/25   Just not a great spot to pick a WR when I like guys at the 4/5 turn just as much

In a shared backfield in 2017   Freeman  had 196 carries    I project mostert for 14 carries per week   that's 224 carries.  5 ypc  is 1140 rushing  throw in 400 receiving and hes at 1540 total yards  10 tds  30 receptions 400 receiving yards 

That's an rb11 finish in 2019  ahead of joe Mixon and carson.   Most importantly   he passes the eye test 

Screw Adp and take the guy I like?

1 hour ago, jbarretta said:

I am struggling with the 2/3 turn pick 24/25   Just not a great spot to pick a WR when I like guys at the 4/5 turn just as much

In a shared backfield in 2017   Freeman  had 196 carries    I project mostert for 14 carries per week   that's 224 carries.  5 ypc  is 1140 rushing  throw in 400 receiving and hes at 1540 total yards  10 tds  30 receptions 400 receiving yards 

That's an rb11 finish in 2019  ahead of joe Mixon and carson.   Most importantly   he passes the eye test 

i think you have the rushing yardage right, but i don't think he'll get much receiving work

Edited by scheibler
8 minutes ago, jbarretta said:

Another, thing, I see 14 carries a week as his floor.  The upside scenario is 16 carries per week, 256 carries and he runs for 1400 yards and 12td

Does anyone else see this possibility?  Where he takes a 65/35 carry share?

I’m a huge fan and think he balls out in a big way this year. The other two guys in that backfield are washed up. Dude said he wanted to be paid more and demanded a trade, and then 49ers wasted no time paying him more. That says a ton to me. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jbarretta said:

It's your team and I think people should do this more in general (go with the guy they prefer) during snake drafts. So what if a player is "supposed to" go slightly later in drafts? If it's unlikely for you to be able to draft a guy you like when the draft gets back to you (since someone has since snagged him), then go with the player you like and project to do well.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, jbarretta said:

I’m in the exact same boat as you except I like Ronald Jones. I’d take a solid WR1 (Golladay Amari Dj Moore) with one of your picks in the 2nd/3rd and just get Mostert in the 4th. 

I’ve personally been going with 2 stud wr’s at the 2/3 turn then doubling up RB at my 4/5 turn. (I think Ingram, Mostert, and RoJo are great options). You get solid rb’s on great offenses to add big TD potential, while getting to stack stud WR’s with McCaffrey. It’s a great core imo