NBC Sports Edge Forums

Taysom Hill 2020 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[ As mentioned previously, Hill's TE eligibility is a league/platform-specific issue that needs to be discussed in either the Commissioner's Corner or Platform Central thread.  Believe it or not, there are people who just want to discuss his fantasy outlook without arguing about which positional eligibility is correct.  Please help us out here and take those discussions elsewhere. ]

Just now, MJJ28 said:

He could have another 10-12 years left with the age QBs are playing to these days. Yes, “QBs of the future” are generally younger guys.

Hill was a China doll at BYU. If by some chance he ends up as the starting QB for the Saints, he won't last. I'd have my doubts that he'd ever play a full season at QB. I'll say this...there isn't a chance Hill has 10-12 years left. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

taysom hill owners once their fellow league managers see him slotted into the TE position  

I really like his matchup this weekend, Atlanta is last in the league against TE's, so I'm expecting a pretty big game.  

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

He could have another 10-12 years left with the age QBs are playing to these days. Yes, “QBs of the future” are generally younger guys.

OK I was suspecting it, but now I'm almost sure. Taysom's mom? Is that you?

Was the Winston story just a smokescreen to get Taysom to sign his deal?  If so, it backfired.  $21 million for a player who threw six passes last year, and couldn't beat out Bilgewater?  What in holy creation were the Saints thinking.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Was the Winston story just a smokescreen to get Taysom to sign his deal?  If so, it backfired.  $21 million for a player who threw six passes last year, and couldn't beat out Bilgewater?  What in holy creation were the Saints thinking.

It’s just weird. Saints clearly don’t view him as a solution at QB or otherwise they wouldn’t go out and sign Winston. His stats and tape clearly support this as by NFL standards he is absolutely horrendous at playing QB.

So they view him as a very valuable triple threat. A triple threat that has a total of 700 yards combined from passing/rushing/receiving in 2 years. The list of players with more yards over the last 2 seasons is well over 100. It’s just...mind boggling. Does the dude have dirt on Payton or what? 

• Thanks 1

I'm surprised the Saints paid Hill this kind of money. Not just because of the Jameis Winston signing, but they also traded back into the 7th round to take a QB who profiles as a "Taysom Hill" type, presumably to eventually replace him. Maybe he never does and he's one of those guys they stash on the practice squad, but I dunno about giving Hill this money. Good for him getting it.

Honestly, I don't really get Sean Payton's fascination with Hill to begin with. How many times are the Saints cruising on offense and they bring in Hill for one of his gimmick plays that doesn't work?

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Wait, are you implying that Taysom Hill had to actually be convinced to sign that deal?  That he was somehow holding out for a better offer?  $16M for a guy that didn't even throw 10 passes the year before?  Dude was auto accepting that without even reading it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, CooL said:

Wait, are you implying that Taysom Hill had to actually be convinced to sign that deal?  That he was somehow holding out for a better offer?  $16M for a guy that didn't even throw 10 passes the year before?  Dude was auto accepting that without even reading it.

Well the Winston story dropped, Hill signed within hours, and then the Winston signing seemingly never materialized.  Maybe it will happen today.  Weird timing.  I agree that Hill is now getting paid about 21x what he is worth...

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well the Winston story dropped, Hill signed within hours, and then the Winston signing seemingly never materialized.  Maybe it will happen today.  Weird timing.  I agree that Hill is now getting paid about 21x what he is worth...

we can sit here as armchair GMs and mock the move...but Payton is a brilliant football coach and sees Taysom about everyday in practice.   Carries a lot more weight than anyone in here.   

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

we can sit here as armchair GMs and mock the move...but Payton is a brilliant football coach and sees Taysom about everyday in practice.   Carries a lot more weight than anyone in here.   

Eh, that's a lazy argument. Payton being a good coach doesn't free him up from being mocked. In fact, brilliant coaches doing dumb stuff should be mocked more harshly. Dumb coaches can do dumb stuff; from our heros we want to see great stuff.

Payton spending 21M on a washed out overrated trick play QB should be mocked endlessly and mercilessly. 

the-office.gif

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Agree.  In one of my earlier posts, I said that he must really ball in practice and impresses the coaches to the point they would give him the role and the money.  They shipped out Bridgewater, that should be a confidence booster.  Haven't seen him talk much, but he does seem like a nice kid albeit on the older side to be "the QB of the future".  Maybe the QB for the next several years but likely not a franchise type guy.

The Winston discussion is interesting though.  Maybe they feel Hill isn't ready, although if Brees is indeed gone next year, they want to have a year to evaluate if Winston would be a viable option?

3 minutes ago, CooL said:

Agree.  In one of my earlier posts, I said that he must really ball in practice and impresses the coaches to the point they would give him the role and the money.  They shipped out Bridgewater, that should be a confidence booster.  Haven't seen him talk much, but he does seem like a nice kid albeit on the older side to be "the QB of the future".  Maybe the QB for the next several years but likely not a franchise type guy.

The Winston discussion is interesting though.  Maybe they feel Hill isn't ready, although if Brees is indeed gone next year, they want to have a year to evaluate if Winston would be a viable option?

Hill's gonna be 30 years old when this season starts.

How old does the QB of the future need to be to be ready?

15 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Eh, that's a lazy argument. Payton being a good coach doesn't free him up from being mocked. In fact, brilliant coaches doing dumb stuff should be mocked more harshly. Dumb coaches can do dumb stuff; from our heros we want to see great stuff.

Payton spending 21M on a washed out overrated trick play QB should be mocked endlessly and mercilessly. 

This is harsh. So far Taysom Hill has done a good job when asked to do any role. I'm not sure if he will succeed as an actual QB, but in today's NFL they are protected much better and he could have a few good years after Brees retires. Way too premature to denounce him as a potential future QB.

4 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Hill's gonna be 30 years old when this season starts.

How old does the QB of the future need to be to be ready?

I don't have a horse in this race either way, and I'm not a Saints fan.  Yes, I find it ridiculous that he got this kind of money, but Matt Flynn is laughing at us somewhere too.  

I don't think he's the QB of the future, but obviously Payton thinks he's shown enough to be #2, for now.  He's 29 because he went on his Mormon mission for two years or so, and then spent 5 years at BYU because of injury.  He's only got 2 years of real playing experience, and it's limited at best.  So he's not ready, especially when he's behind a guy like Drew Brees.  But his age does make it less likely that he's going to be behind center for the next decade after Brees leaves next year.

8 minutes ago, CooL said:

It’s the same deal as last year. It isn’t a matter of if Hill is ready...it’s the matter of Brees still being in uniform. Even if Hill is the guy to take over when Brees retires, Payton is going to have a QB who can fill in for Brees in the immediate, if necessary, so that Hill’s role in the offense and on STs remains. 

Just now, CooL said:

I don't have a horse in this race either way, and I'm not a Saints fan.  Yes, I find it ridiculous that he got this kind of money, but Matt Flynn is laughing at us somewhere too.  

I don't think he's the QB of the future, but obviously Payton thinks he's shown enough to be #2, for now.  He's 29 because he went on his Mormon mission for two years or so, and then spent 5 years at BYU because of injury.  He's only got 2 years of real playing experience, and it's limited at best.  So he's not ready, especially when he's behind a guy like Drew Brees.  But his age does make it less likely that he's going to be behind center for the next decade after Brees leaves next year.

I'm just saying.  Maybe he's Rich Gannon 2.0, but aside from that we don't have a whole lot of examples of guys riding pine til they're 32 and then coming in and setting the world on fire.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm just saying.  Maybe he's Rich Gannon 2.0, but aside from that we don't have a whole lot of examples of guys riding pine til they're 32 and then coming in and setting the world on fire.

The big thing, as a lifelong diehard Saints fan, that I wonder about is something I mentioned itt earlier. Can he stay healthy as a full time QB? He struggled through a litany of injuries at BYU. Even when he played 13 and 12 games, he fought through injury. He’s stayed healthy in the NFL because his plays, and thus contact, is limited. But if he becomes a starting QB, will he be able to stay on the field, or do those injury issues haunt him again? The dude is thick and strong, and he knows it...so he seeks out contact. As a full time QB, I think that’s a recipe for disaster because his running ability is going to be a large part of his game. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

The big thing, as a lifelong diehard Saints fan, that I wonder about is something I mentioned itt earlier. Can he stay healthy as a full time QB? He struggled through a litany of injuries at BYU. Even when he played 13 and 12 games, he fought through injury. He’s stayed healthy in the NFL because his plays, and thus contact, is limited. But if he becomes a starting QB, will he be able to stay on the field, or do those injury issues haunt him again? The dude is thick and strong, and he knows it...so he seeks out contact. As a full time QB, I think that’s a recipe for disaster because his running ability is going to be a large part of his game. 

He was playing as a gunner for special teams, and might still be, and has been healthy so far in the NFL. Some guys just struggle with injuries sometimes and need time to get fully healthy.

Just now, Flyman75 said:

The whole situation is beyond me.  I'm just going to assume Sean knows something I don't because to me none of this makes any sense.

Just now, devaster said:

He was playing as a gunner for special teams, and might still be, and has been healthy so far in the NFL. Some guys just struggle with injuries sometimes and need time to get fully healthy.

This is true, but even playing gunner and his smattering of plays offensively is nothing compared to being an every-down QB. 

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

The whole situation is beyond me.  I'm just going to assume Sean knows something I don't because to me none of this makes any sense.

I’m fine with the role...the contract perplexes me. Payton has compared him to Steve Young...laughable. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

This is true, but even playing gunner and his smattering of plays offensively is nothing compared to being an every-down QB. 

Agreed 👀 .  Playing gunner/wr/rb/flanker is more dangerous than playing qb.   Even with far fewer snaps 

• Like 1