NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Taysom Hill 2020 Outlook

lolcopter

Message added by tonycpsu

[ As mentioned previously, Hill's TE eligibility is a league/platform-specific issue that needs to be discussed in either the Commissioner's Corner or Platform Central thread.  Believe it or not, there are people who just want to discuss his fantasy outlook without arguing about which positional eligibility is correct.  Please help us out here and take those discussions elsewhere. ]

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

Is there a chance Peyton is simply playing games, and Hill will "start" the game, only for Winston to be the actual QB for the game?

I find it hard to believe Hill gets the full job. When Brees went down last week, Winston was the one to come in as the passer, not Hill. They didn't just all of a sudden realize Hill's potential as a starting qb this week.  I do believe games are being played by Peyton.  We'll see.  

14 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Probably kills Michael Thomas's value, right?  

It can't get any worse so, I don't think so.  Truth is, Brees throws it all over the field.  Hill or Winston may lock on to Thomas.  

22 minutes ago, yossarian said:

I think you make a good point about the politics of giving him touches over Brees and how that could have played a role in him only getting gadget plays and put a cap on his QB passing chances. However you lose me when you compare him to LJ. Jackson threw for over 9000 yards in 3 seasons playing in the ACC. Hill threw for 7000 yards across 5 seasons playing in...I think the Mountain West Conference? LJ averaged 2 more yards per attempt, threw 26 more touchdowns, and threw 4 fewer interceptions. The reason I'm bringing up college stats is because Hill has, essentially, no passing stats in the NFL, even though he's 7 years older. Obviously a comparison of their NFL stats is even more one-sided. There's a handful of reasons Hill could succeed in the NFL but "guys like Lamar Jackson can make it so he can too" isn't really one of them. 

Also you mention not having watched any tape on him but...there is no NFL tape to watch on him. 

It's all about opportunity. Yes, his college production was lower than Lamar's but he was riddled with injury. His two best seasons (playing at least 12 games) produced mixed results:

In two healthy seasons (25 games) he had 458 completions on 810 attempts. 5,261 yards 31 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. He rushed for nearly 2000 yards scoring 18 times from the ground. Nearly 50 touchdowns (passing/rushing) in two seasons (wish I had fumble data). 

To me, this shows that he is capable of passing the ball which is something everyone seems to think he can't do. Yes, he was highly inefficient. I'm not exactly sure how those numbers stack up against most college quarterbacks. I'm sure I could look it up. But his ability to run the ball is why I compared him to Lamar Jackson. Despite his pedigree, Lamar Jackson still doesn't seem like a very good passer to me. His bread and butter is in his mobility. I think that is a big reason why the Ravens are struggling. Lamar just does not look the same now that teams have tape on him and the offense. In comes Hill with very little tape. At the very least he could provide serviceable play and even better fantasy numbers while teams try to figure him out. Who knows what he can do in a full time role. But he needs the full time role WITH leeway. I hope he gets that oportunity. There have been plenty of late bloomers in the league who have gone on to find success. Not comparing him to Kurt Warner (game wise) but they both entered the NFL late. So it can be done. Not to mention he is not new to the system. Once you move past the idea that this guy can't throw a football, you start to realize that IF they give him a full game, his potential running yardage alone gives cause for excitement. It will be a few games before teams actually have substantial tape on him and start gameplanning. The potential is there for SOLID production. We will see. It could all be smoke and mirrors and Jameis gets the nod on Sunday. But to me, this feels like it could be the start of something. Only time will tell. Worth a stash if you have deep pockets. Worth a start if you are desperate.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Why are people knocking Hill because he’s only thrown X passes? What do you expect when he’s been playing behind Drew Brees his entire career? When Brees got hurt last year he also had Bridgewater in front of him. This year, Hill seems to have impressed enough in practice to beat out former #1 overall pick Winston for the starting job. Plus there’s the fact that NO just paid Hill a lot of money for a reason. There must be something they really like here, beyond being just a gadget guy.

It is possible that Hill is a pretty good dual threat QB, and could be an awesome fantasy asset which is all I care about. The fact that he hasn’t thrown a lot of passes in his career tells us very little as he hasn’t really had an opportunity, until now. I honestly don’t care if he’s a world class thrower. Just be good enough at passing, and good enough at running to be a great fantasy QB. 

I hear you, but I'm going to disagree. We have the right to be skeptical here.

Why was Bridgewater in front of him? Bridgewater was only with New Orleans for a year before he became the starter last year. Hill is 30 years old and has 4 seasons with the Saints! The Saints have had a few opportunities to let Hill start, but they didn't. Also, the preseason tapes don't show anything special. He plays the option and run. I guess Sunday will reveal the truth.

4 minutes ago, Silent-Trader said:

I hear you, but I'm going to disagree. We have the right to be skeptical here.

Why was Bridgewater in front of him? Bridgewater was only with New Orleans for a year before he became the starter last year. Hill is 30 years old and has 4 seasons with the Saints! The Saints have had a few opportunities to let Hill start, but they didn't. Also, the preseason tapes don't show anything special. He plays the option and run. I guess Sunday will reveal the truth.

I would argue that Bridgewater was in front of him because:

He was more ready

He was more polished

He is NOW the starting quarterback for the Carolina Panthers. 

At that point in time, Bridgewater was the better quarterback (still is IMO).

None of which speaks to Hill's skill or ability to play the game. Bridgewater was simply further along and better. I don't think anyone believes Hill is a top 15 quarterback at this point in his career. Bridgewater became available for CHEAP due to injury. You HAVE to jump on that. Right? I don't care what projects you are working on. 

• Like 1

The couple posters here complaining and going about changing positional designations are complete hypocrites. Do you also nullify points when a WR like OBJ throws a touchdown pass?

more to the point, some of us picked up this dude off waivers before all this news. Because of the Brees injury but also, if you were paying attention, he had received 15 carries the last two weeks. A lot of us would gladly take that instead of going through the endless TE revolving door of trash.

even more to the point, two weeks ago Hill threw 2 passes for 48 yards. Did some of you guys complain to your commish to erase those points then?  Or how about any of the previous weeks/years when he ran the ball out of the QB position?  And what if he only throws 5-6 times this week? Are you going to still advocate he must be a QB only?

Should then Curtis Samuel have his designation constantly switch depending on if he got more carries or receptions the previous week? 

This was always a possibility this season, especially with the contract he was given and with Brees’ age. I bet, in line with Peytons last comments, that Hill and Winston rotate and Hill is mostly used just as he was before while being on the field more. When Brees’ went down, that was my first thought and nothing has changed that. 

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

I would argue that Bridgewater was in front of him because:

He was more ready

He was more polished

He is NOW the starting quarterback for the Carolina Panthers. 

At that point in time, Bridgewater was the better quarterback (still is IMO).

None of which speaks to Hill's skill or ability to play the game. Bridgewater was simply further along and better. I don't think anyone believes Hill is a top 15 quarterback at this point in his career. Bridgewater became available for CHEAP due to injury. You HAVE to jump on that. Right? I don't care what projects you are working on. 

You say that Bridgewater was more ready and is a better QB than Hill.

So we can't say the same about Winston?

1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

He'd be in my top 20. Maybe my top 15. I'd put him just ahead of guys like Tua, Carr and Wentz. 

Thanks. Was hoping for Winston at starter, I think he had a higher ceiling. But Hill will be a fun wild card play this week at QB!

28 minutes ago, rizon said:

The couple posters here complaining and going about changing positional designations are complete hypocrites. Do you also nullify points when a WR like OBJ throws a touchdown pass?

more to the point, some of us picked up this dude off waivers before all this news. Because of the Brees injury but also, if you were paying attention, he had received 15 carries the last two weeks. A lot of us would gladly take that instead of going through the endless TE revolving door of trash.

even more to the point, two weeks ago Hill threw 2 passes for 48 yards. Did some of you guys complain to your commish to erase those points then?  Or how about any of the previous weeks/years when he ran the ball out of the QB position?  And what if he only throws 5-6 times this week? Are you going to still advocate he must be a QB only?

Should then Curtis Samuel have his designation constantly switch depending on if he got more carries or receptions the previous week? 

This was always a possibility this season, especially with the contract he was given and with Brees’ age. I bet, in line with Peytons last comments, that Hill and Winston rotate and Hill is mostly used just as he was before while being on the field more. When Brees’ went down, that was my first thought and nothing has changed that. 

No one (in shallow leagues) picked up Hill for his to date production. And no one (in their right mind) thought he would replace Brees this season. They picked him up as a desperate speculation play and got lucky. By all means, enjoy your cheat code this week, but please don't try to paint yourself as some sort of fantasy savant. Because if you could justify rostering Hill pre-Brees injury, than it really doesn't speak that highly of your team/roster. 

Edited by jmcampbe11
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

Thanks. Was hoping for Winston at starter, I think he had a higher ceiling. But Hill will be a fun wild card play this week at QB!

This year I've honestly been trying to play / acquire guys I like/want to play and it's made the games so much more enjoyable. Don't underestimate the fun factor, especially if it's not a money league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeflavaz said:

I find it hard to believe Hill gets the full job. When Brees went down last week, Winston was the one to come in as the passer, not Hill. They didn't just all of a sudden realize Hill's potential as a starting qb this week.  I do believe games are being played by Peyton.  We'll see.  

It can't get any worse so, I don't think so.  Truth is, Brees throws it all over the field.  Hill or Winston may lock on to Thomas.  

Guess you haven't been paying attention the last few years. Aside from a couple games this season, Brees locks in on Thomas. 

1 minute ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Fearless Forecast: 450 passing yards.  150 rushing yards. 8 TDs 

ESPN servers literally melt down as the 99% of owners who don't have him go into a collective rage as it happens at the TE position.  

... at that point it doesn’t matter if he’s QB or TE. If he does that he can have my QB/RB and TE spot. 

Every major news outlet including Adam Schefter is reporting Hill will be the starter with little to no Jameis interference. Money and fantasy sites shut down and adjusted prediction models. Available video shows Hill receiving first team reps. Why in the world would you not give Jameis first team reps (the guy with the least playbook experience)? He, of all people, would need them the most. It doesn't seem logical to me. If Jameis was starting, he would have received the reps and video would have supported the claim. I don't think we are dealing with a head fake here. I would be very surprised to see Winston on the field Sunday unless Hill craps the bed. There are too many solid pieces around him for that to happen. The game plan will be on point because it has been locked away for a rainy day such as this one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeflavaz said:

It did not just happen this was the plan.  Hill is seen as the potential starter but as long as Brees was starting, Hill was in a TE/WR/ gadget roll to make use of his athletic skills. Last week with a healthy Brees, Winston practiced as the backup QB and was the one ready to fill-in for injured Brees for that game.

Then this week, with Brees known to be out, Hill went into starting QB roll practicing as the starting QB while Winston remained in his backup role. 

Edited by nine9s
  • Like 1