NBC Sports Edge Forums

Taysom Hill 2020 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[ As mentioned previously, Hill's TE eligibility is a league/platform-specific issue that needs to be discussed in either the Commissioner's Corner or Platform Central thread.  Believe it or not, there are people who just want to discuss his fantasy outlook without arguing about which positional eligibility is correct.  Please help us out here and take those discussions elsewhere. ]

On 4/26/2020 at 3:44 PM, MJJ28 said:

They just let Teddy walk, despite him being younger than Hill and needing a Brees replacement very soon, and gave Hill more money than what they gave Bridgewater. Currently, the system is built around Brees, with small packages installed for Hill. As soon as Brees is done, however, the current system will be scrapped and they will install an entirely new system around Hill's duel threat abilities. They need a 3rd QB option to directly backup Brees right now because there isn't enough time in the day to adequately prepare an offense to function under full capacity with two entirely different styles of play. There is a reason why other QBs are coming in and out, but Hill stays right where he is. They will not be in position to draft a top QB prospect anytime soon, and the roster is built to continue winning even after Brees retires, so Hill will be the guy.

Well damn, if this wasn't spot on in how it played out. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

taysom hill owners once their fellow league managers see him slotted into the TE position  

I really like his matchup this weekend, Atlanta is last in the league against TE's, so I'm expecting a pretty big game.  

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

To be fair, it's not uncommon to see a basketball or baseball player play multiple positions in the same season and for basketball often in the same game.  Football is different in that you rarely ever see a player play multiple positions.  Yes, a WR may get a jet sweep carry here and there, a QB might catch a pass, a RB my throw a pass, but far and large you don't see WRs switching back and forth between lining up as a WR/RB.  

I understand why people keep bringing up the other sports, but it's not really a good comparison. 

While it may be more rare in football that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.  It isn't like the platforms that have granted Taysom TE eligibility did so without logic. They used snap count, a perfectly logical approach that has been used in the past (precedent). No one had an issue with this until a couple days before he plays on week 11.

When there's more than 1 Taysom Hill the crybabies wont cry about it so much.  But right there's only 1 "Taysom Hill type" player (for a lack of a better description).

Byt ultimately it seems like most of the anti Taysom TE crowd are just complaining because they missed out, no one was complaining about it when he was only averaging 5 points a game.  The anti argument just seems to be "I didnt get him so no one should have him".

I own Taysom but he is only eligible as a QB. 

Now that that information is out of the way, I believe the people crying about designation are the biggest babies this side of 2020. I pray their playoff hopes are CRUSHED by Hill this week and that they curl up into a little ball under the pouring water of an ice cold shower. With the lights off. There is an equal likelihood that Hill garners fewer than 5 attempts. At least that's what many are suggesting here. But God FORBID the possibility even exists for another team UNLESS that player is on your team. Weak sauce. Man up and stop worrying about the next man's team. They found a weakness and exploited it. You had every opportunity to do the same but you weren't smart enough, fast enough, or good enough. Stop making excuses. If this game will make or break your season, you didn't belong in the playoffs ANYWAYS ya big baby. In the meantime, break out your construction paper and markers and continue petitioning to FleaFlicker and ESPN to "level" the playing field back in your favor. Lol. You make me sick with all this whining. 

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo
  • Like 4
7 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Now that that information is out of the way, I believe the people crying about designation are the biggest babies this side of 2020. I pray their playoff hopes are CRUSHED by Hill this week and that they curl up into a little ball under the pouring water of an ice cold shower. With the lights off. There is an equal likelihood that Hill garners fewer than 5 attempts. At least that's what many are suggesting here. But God FORBID the possibility even exists for another team UNLESS that player is on your team. Weak sauce. Man up and stop worrying about the next man's team. They found a weakness and exploited it. You had every opportunity to do the same but you weren't smart enough, fast enough, or good enough. Stop making excuses. If this game will make or break your season, you didn't belong in the playoffs ANYWAYS ya big baby. In the meantime, break out your construction paper and markers and continue petitioning to FleaFlicker and ESPN to "level" the playing field back in your favor. Lol. You make me sick with all this whining. 

I actually own him, and am starting him. I still think it's disingenuous to have him accumulate points while playing as the main QB, but be able to have him rostered as a TE.

I am glad that i am not in any pay leagues with this going down.

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, PRoSPx said:

Taysom has more receptions than completions.  He has more rushes than completions.  He has been lined up more at WR than QB.  He has also been lined up more at TE than QB.  He has played more snaps on special teams than QB.

Devin Hester was listed as a CB on The Bears official roster yet was given WR eligibility for multiple years before The Bears finally changed it.  Marques Colston has been referenced in here.  Tavon Austin has been RB,WR in years past.

Your real argument and only real arguement seems to be you do not believe in multi positional eligibility.  You also must not believe in players changing positions?

But to say Taysom has been more of a QB than a TE (or WR) is just factually wrong.  Look at recs vs completions.  Look at snap %. The only data that has said hes been a QB is the roster.  But his usage hasnt worked that way.

Most people crying about Hill seem to not play any other fantasy sports.  The fantasy players familair with how fantasy baseball, basketball, & hockey work seem to know the drill here.  Remember the Ohtani debate?

Makes perfect sense in baseball, and maybe basketball. Positions are drastically different in football. Yes, it's nice if a baseball player has 2nd base and CF eligibility or something. But you're still getting the same stats either way. 4 or 5 at bats. If center-fielders got 5 times as many at-bats as infielders, I'd be annoyed by that. 

QB and TE are drastically different positions, which provide drastically different production. Hill a QB. End of conversation. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

The crying accusations are way off base. I only play on MFL, so this literally affects me nowhere. I just think it's wrong. Honestly, ESPN and fleaflicker should be ashamed. They messed up. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

The crying accusations are way off base. I only play on MFL, so this literally affects me nowhere. I just think it's wrong. Honestly, ESPN and fleaflicker should be ashamed. They messed up. 

Look, no one said life was fair. But this fumble was out there for anyone to recover. I say for this game, he keeps his TE designation. Until he plays a full game as a QB and is announced as the starter. All of his points should count. Just like every other player. For all we know, Jameis could be the starter and Hill just a decoy gadget player. 

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo
  • Like 3

Obviously this Taysom Hill TE debate has sparked passionate arguments on both sides.

For those of us who play in ESPN leagues that were able to get him, we are sitting pretty.  It's a loophole that doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it can be league winning.

ESPN designated him as QB/TE for the season, and that's why it should be allowed.  What I don't agree with is that ESPN reserves the right to take away the TE designation moving forward.  So if Taysom plays two games at QB, then they take it away?  What happens when Brees comes back and he is playing all over the field again?  They'll add it back?

Just like how many of us are arguing that you can't change rules in the middle of a season as commish (some commishes are saying that they won't allow Taysom to be played at TE in their leagues), I don't think ESPN should be able to take it away.  Some people surely have rostered him all season for this very moment.  And now you're going to take it away after 11-12 weeks?  Not cool.  Yahoo will add designations during the season but will never take them away.

22 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Look, no one said life was fair. But this fumble was out there for anyone to recover. I say for this game, he keeps his TE designation. Until he plays a full game as a QB and is announced as the starter. All of his points should count. Just like every other player. For all we know, Jameis could be the starter and Hill just a decoy gadget player. 

Its definitely fair for this week. If he does play a mostly full game at QB this week the TE designation should get removed moving forward 

• Like 2

Level Headed ESPN Taysom Hill Owners: “nice, we took a chance on Hill to get some points at TE but will accept this one week gift of a starting QB in TE position 🙂

Scumbags who own Hill: “We’re leaving Hill in TE forever. Who needs pickups when we can run 2 QB’s 😈

Commissioners and Managers who missed out on Hill: “Wahhh wahhh not fair 😫” 

Everyone else: spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The irony is if Hill hits his projection (around 17 fantasy points) then he's only going to be getting you about 10 more points than your typical streaming TE. And as many have pointed out it's probably just for one game because ESPN will remove his TE eligibility after this week. I'd hardly call that a cheat code. 

Why is everyone arguing about the hill TE designation? It’s pretty simple. Nothing is for sure yet so he’s allowed the same TE designation that he’s carried all year. If he starts at QB and maintains that position next week ESPN will most likely take away the TE designation. What’s the big deal here? This has happened in the past with other players that have two designations. Those of us who jumped on this should be rewarded when everyone had the opportunity to do the same thing. Not our fault some of us are playing chess while others are playing checkers. And again no one knows what’s going to happen till game time. He could get pulled after the first quarter. 

• Like 2

I think what some of you are missing is that the people critical of the designation aren't just individuals who don't have him.

As I said before, I actually DO have him and I am starting him.

But that doesn't preclude me from being against the idea of a player being allowed to start in one position and he is functionally performing in a materially different position.

I think that's a bunch of BS that some are trying to dismiss the legitimacy of this criticism because you think "oh you're only saying that because you don't have him". That's a very bad faith response. Just say that you don't care about the legitimacy of that position because you own him and are perfectly fine with it because it's a self serving position to take.

Edited by Semitar
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Semitar said:

I think what some of you are missing is that the people critical of the designation aren't just individuals who don't have him.

As I said before, I actually DO have him and I am starting him.

But that doesn't preclude me from being against the idea of a player being allowed to start in one position and he is functionally performing in a materially different position.

I think that's a bunch of BS that some are trying to dismiss the legitimacy of this criticism because you think "oh you're only saying that because you don't have him". That's a very bad faith response. Just say that you don't care about the legitimacy of that position because you own him and are perfectly fine with it because it's a self serving position to take.

You may be right and the bolded couldn't be more true. However the ultimate argument against the "Hill-TE-Eligible-Whiners" trumps that argument by a Country Mile: If they were so outraged that Hill was TE-eligible in their leagues they should have quit those leagues in protest immediately; with the outrage I'm hearing now that seems only appropriate to have been done. before. now.

How unfair would it be for managers like myself, who burned waiver priority to pick up and start Taysom prior to any "starter" news dropping? You grab him on the off chance he simply got a few more snaps at QB with Brees out, and all of a sudden ESPN removed the TE designation for this week?

I really hope any commissioners who have taken the stance of not allowing a league member who already burned a waiver priority to pick Taysom up are allowing them to re-run waivers because that seems completely unfair.

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Are you sure about that 

Yes. Berry has been laying the ground work for doing this since before the "starting" news came out. They will review the snap count data after the game and make changes. Aka, if he's actually the starting QB they will be taking the TE tag away.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Are you sure about that 

There is a video that ESPN made that completely breaks everything down. Yes that is what they said. If Hill starts at QB and plays the whole game then yes they will take away the TE designation next week. 

10 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

ESPN is responsible 

I applaud ESPN for how they are treating this, because it's consistent with how they've treated situations like this in the past and not buckling under criticism from the fantasy community. All of the major sites have been taking shots at them since the news dropped. PFF snap data had Taysom as playing the most of his snaps at TE last year, so they made him a tight end. Going forward, if Sunday comes and Taysom is truly the starter, they are going to remove the QB designation for next week. But they aren't going to do that until they see it on the field, regardless of anyone upset because they play him, or a competitor for a playoff spot has him.

1 minute ago, USWAY said:

I applaud ESPN for how they are treating this, because it's consistent with how they've treated situations like this in the past and not buckling under criticism from the fantasy community. All of the major sites have been taking shots at them since the news dropped. PFF snap data had Taysom as playing the most of his snaps at TE last year, so they made him a tight end. Going forward, if Sunday comes and Taysom is truly the starter, they are going to remove the QB designation for next week. But they aren't going to do that until they see it on the field, regardless of anyone upset because they play him, or a competitor for a playoff spot has him.

Exactly idk why people are crying. He plays all over the field so it’s hard to even have just one designation for him. The initial TE designation was appropriate and they haven’t taken it away because he hasn’t given them a reason to yet. Things may change after this week.

3 minutes ago, USWAY said:

I have the opposite take. I believe ESPN dropped the ball before season started by labeling him a TE because of snaps at that position last year. When they should have gone off the Saints actual depth chart going into this year. 

2 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

I have the opposite take. I believe ESPN dropped the ball before season started by labeling him a TE because of snaps at that position last year. When they should have gone off the Saints actual depth chart going into this year. 

This.

4 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Here is why this is fundamentally incorrect.  There has already been precedent set with other players getting multi positional eligibility.  I referenced earlier how Hester was a CB who gained the WR tag, Tavon Austin.  If there is a precedent in which has already been set you continue on with the precedent.  You dont change it because some speculate it may be "unfair" in this case.  This is how multiple position eligibility works.  Again WRs & RBs throw passes, QBs rush, WRs rush.  It happens.  Next time know the league landscape better.