NBC Sports Edge Forums

Taysom Hill 2020 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[ As mentioned previously, Hill's TE eligibility is a league/platform-specific issue that needs to be discussed in either the Commissioner's Corner or Platform Central thread.  Believe it or not, there are people who just want to discuss his fantasy outlook without arguing about which positional eligibility is correct.  Please help us out here and take those discussions elsewhere. ]

I think if Brees is healthy, they bring him back no matter how well Hill is playing. It's his last season as the starter. You owe Brees that. The following year, it's the Hill Show with Jameis in the 2 pocket. I will say this, he DEFINITELY needs to work on that deep ball. Most good defenses will not allow a receiver to come back for that so easily. 

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo
  • Like 4
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

taysom hill owners once their fellow league managers see him slotted into the TE position  

I really like his matchup this weekend, Atlanta is last in the league against TE's, so I'm expecting a pretty big game.  

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

I think if Brees is healthy, they bring him back no matter how well Hill is playing. It's his last season as the starter. You owe Brees that. The following year, it's the Hill Show with Jameis in the 2 pocket. I will say this, he DEFINITELY needs to work on that deep ball. Most good defenses will not allow a receiver to come back for that so easily. 

Not sure if Jameis is back as the #2, but I agree this is the true audition for Hill for next year.  Week 1 was a success.  He has a few more to go and if he can continue to play like today the job should be his.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Yeah but if Hill is playing well dont you think that it would allow Brees to take his time and not rush back?

• Like 2

Waaaay better than I expected.  I thought it was a farce and Winston would come in after the first drive.  He's making really good passes, albeit against a terrible defense.  ESPN will probably remove his TE status immediately.

Edited by RJRJRJ
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

I think Brees injury is super serious 11 fractured ribs, punctured lung  I dont see him coming even after 3 games. Plus they have a cupcake schedule.

Denver

Atl

Phili

KC

Minn- I think brees come back for this game, after they lose to KC.

Unfortunately at Denver doesn't seem like a huge cupcake, but the saints are a better team than the phins, no question. 

1 minute ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Unfortunately at Denver doesn't seem like a huge cupcake, but the saints are a better team than the phins, no question. 

It's not necessarily, but the fact that he possibly has the best short to medium range yardage weapons in the NFL doesn't change in Kamara and Thomas....So if he can just make smart reads again and run when he needs to, he should be fine again fantasy wise.

14 hours ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

I think Brees will be the starter, but Hill will see increased snaps at QB, with more of them being passes instead of 95% runs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nmartinez12443 said:

“I think Brees injury is super serious 11 fractured ribs, punctured lung, I dont see him coming back even after 3 games. Plus they have a cupcake schedule.
Denver, Atl, Phili, KC, Minn- I think brees come back for this game, after they lose to KC.”

Largely speculating here but it might not matter when he returns. Would love to revel in starting Hill at QB but the fact is I ran to the bathroom three times between 12:30pm - 1:00pm. Don’t know why but to me that’s the most natural place to plead to the gods! :) Anyway, there was a field report, I want to say about 30mins prior to game-time revealing that there were a number of players advocating on Winston’s behalf, that he should be named the starter. I was like; holy $#!+, here we go again! ... Now that I think about it, that very thought is probably what has me praying while I’m on the John. Then, the next thing they said was that back when Hill signed that contract it was with the understanding that, given this was Brees’ last year, not only was he to be named the starter, should he perform well over an extended absence, he displaces Brees on the depth chart, he becomes the QB1. All I could think was that starting Hill wasn’t a football decision, but a contractual one. 

I don’t know what to make of any of that, but I added Hill in a keeper league & we have a pretty wild setting. Given that he wasn’t drafted in our league, I can list him in the 15th round. I don’t expect to start him over Josh Allen but I’m likely to carry Hill until I see what’s going on. 

Edited by markrc99
1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

Largely speculating here but it might not matter when he returns. Would love to revel in starting Hill at QB but the fact is I ran to the bathroom three times between 12:30pm - 1:00pm. Don’t know why but to me that’s the most natural place to plead to the gods! :) Anyway, there was a field report, I want to say about 30mins prior to game-time revealing that there were a number of players advocating on Winston’s behalf, that he should be named the starter. I was like; holy $#!+, here we go again! ... Now that I think about it, that very thought is probably what has me praying while I’m on the John. Then, the next thing they said was that back when Hill signed that contract it was with the understanding that, given this was Brees’ last year, not only was he to be named the starter, should he perform well over an extended absence, he displaces Brees on the depth chart, he becomes the QB1. All I could think was that starting Hill wasn’t a football decision, but a contractual one. 

I don’t know what to make of any of that, but I added Hill in a keeper league & we have a pretty wild setting. Given that he wasn’t drafted in our league, I can list him in the 15th round. I don’t expect to start him over Josh Allen but I’m likely to carry Hill until I see what’s going on. 

I saw that too. It was evident that MANY of the skill players did NOT look happy during the first quarter of the game. I saw literal looks of disgust on their faces. But by the end of the game, they were all smiles and chest bumps once they saw Hill was actually more than a gadget player. I have a feeling he proved a lot of people wrong yesterday. Next week will be telling. There is a reason Winston is no longer the starter over in Tampa. Been there done that. I'm sure he looks fantastic in practice and he can lick fingers shaped like a W with the best of them. But if Hill has another solid outing, I don't think the players will mind one bit that he is holding a clipboard.

• Haha 1

Looks like he could be a dark-horse top 10 QB w/ respect to PPG, but we need to see him play a team that isn't Atlanta first. The reports (from Schefter) of Saint's players being unhappy before the game does have me a bit worried regardless of the win, because it means the second this guy has a tough game or stumbles, he might be on the hot seat.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

The Saints defense is going to destroy Denver and give Hill lots of short field opportunities. I felt a few of those hits Ryan was taking. Once the receivers adjust to his throws, watch out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, RJRJRJ said:

Waaaay better than I expected.  I thought it was a farce and Winston would come in after the first drive.  He's making really good passes, albeit against a terrible defense.  ESPN will probably remove his TE status immediately.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

I saw that too. It was evident that MANY of the skill players did NOT look happy during the first quarter of the game. I saw literal looks of disgust on their faces. But by the end of the game, they were all smiles and chest bumps once they saw Hill was actually more than a gadget player. I have a feeling he proved a lot of people wrong yesterday. Next week will be telling. There is a reason Winston is no longer the starter over in Tampa. Been there done that. I'm sure he looks fantastic in practice and he can lick fingers shaped like a W with the best of them. But if Hill has another solid outing, I don't think the players will mind one bit that he is holding a clipboard.

One encouraging thing I saw was Winston not pouting during the game. Anytime he was seen on the sideline, his body language seemed upbeat and positive, and that may have had something to do with what you're talking about. 

I can tell you that one player who didn't look happy all game was Kamara. In fact, when Hill scored his 2nd TD, the one offensive player who did not go up to Hill on the field or on the sideline was Kamara. He was visibly aggravated at his lack of usage for most of the game, imho, especially in the passing game. I'm curious to see if that leads to a change next week. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

One encouraging thing I saw was Winston not pouting during the game. Anytime he was seen on the sideline, his body language seemed upbeat and positive, and that may have had something to do with what you're talking about. 

I can tell you that one player who didn't look happy all game was Kamara. In fact, when Hill scored his 2nd TD, the one offensive player who did not go up to Hill on the field or on the sideline was Kamara. He was visibly aggravated at his lack of usage for most of the game, imho, especially in the passing game. I'm curious to see if that leads to a change next week. 

It is no longer the Kamara show near the goal line. He better get used to it. Owners might as well start prepping themselves as well. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

It is no longer the Kamara show near the goal line. He better get used to it. Owners might as well start prepping themselves as well. 

He still got a TD from the 2, and I'm okay with Hill's role. But I can understand Kamara's frustration all game long as the lack of usage in the passing game. I think Hill scoring the 2nd TD wasn't so much Kamara being frustrated with that one play, but moreso with the rest of the game. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Yeah, I think you'll be proven wrong in that respect sooner rather than later. Captain Wonderbread may be the apple of Payton's eye, but Kamara is the straw that stirs the drink on that team, and it would ludicrous to move away from him so Hill can do his begging man's Steve Young act.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

He still got a TD from the 2, and I'm okay with Hill's role. But I can understand Kamara's frustration all game long as the lack of usage in the passing game. I think Hill scoring the 2nd TD wasn't so much Kamara being frustrated with that one play, but moreso with the rest of the game. 

Crazy because Kamara doesn't strike me as the attention whore type. He just goes about his business. A win is a win. Not sure why he would pout. So his body didn't take the normal pounding of more carries and touches. That's a good thing, no? I'm expecting to see even more designed runs for Captain Wonderbread. Kamara better start taking better advantage of those direct snaps!!!

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo
Just now, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Crazy because Kamara doesn't strike me as the attention whore type. He just goes about his business. A win is a win. Not sure why he would pout. So his body didn't take the normal pounding of more carries and touches. That's a good thing, no?

I could be misreading him, but I remember him looking frustrated during the game and then watched to see if he went to congratulate Hill after that 2nd TD. If he did, it wasn't caught on camera. Kamara isn't necessarily and attention whore, but he's an alpha and wants his. 

Just now, Flyman75 said:

I could be misreading him, but I remember him looking frustrated during the game and then watched to see if he went to congratulate Hill after that 2nd TD. If he did, it wasn't caught on camera. Kamara isn't necessarily and attention whore, but he's an alpha and wants his. 

Definitely something to watch over the coming weeks if Hill survives.

1 hour ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Think about it. First of all, nobody (aside from Payton, Hill himself, and whoever they practice with) truly knew what to expect to see this week from Taysom Hill and the Saints offense. And even then, practice is one thing but executing is another. The players want to win, and this seemed like a big gamble from the outside looking in.

But aside from the winning aspect, you cant convince me that a part of the skill players preferring Winston had to do with the gaudy numbers skill players put up in Tampa last year. Think about it. If Winston starts, the skill players get better numbers. Sure, there's no way Payton would unleash Winston to throw for 30 INTs on this team. But he did throw for 5000 yards and 30 TDs. You think Michael Thomas and the skill players, going into this game, were thrilled that the Winston they saw last year was getting benched for Taysom freaking Hill? They saw their own numbers, their own production going down. And maybe even win probability going down. There was a lot of uncertainty. And when your numbers go down, often times your value goes down, and you dont get paid as much as you wouldve. The perception of you around the league changes. Your next contract isnt as big. And as a few of you discussed above me, I also dont see Kamara as someone who needs attention or credit, but why would he be thrilled for Hill to start when hes going to change the game, vulture TDs, not give him any dump offs, etc. Kamara had 0 catches this week and I think he had 65+ catches in 9 or 10 games before this game. Another thing - I'd be surprised if very many of the players advocating for Winston were on the defensive side of the ball. 

Just my two cents, but there are various reasons why some of the players mightve been advocating for Winston before the game this week. 

• Like 1