NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Taysom Hill 2020 Outlook

lolcopter

Message added by tonycpsu

[ As mentioned previously, Hill's TE eligibility is a league/platform-specific issue that needs to be discussed in either the Commissioner's Corner or Platform Central thread.  Believe it or not, there are people who just want to discuss his fantasy outlook without arguing about which positional eligibility is correct.  Please help us out here and take those discussions elsewhere. ]

15 minutes ago, devaster said:

I believe the primary reason people dislike Taysom is because most of the TD's he accounts for don't have any relevance to other offensive players on the Saints and steals touches from Kamara/Thomas/Brees.

Maybe, but personally I don't like the fact that the Saints organisation pays him like a superstar when he is basically a gadget player, while Kamara (who is a legit superstar) gets paid like a gadget player.

Maybe that's stupid - it's hardly Hill's fault, but I don't like it anyway.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Maybe, but personally I don't like the fact that the Saints organisation pays him like a superstar when he is basically a gadget player, while Kamara (who is a legit superstar) gets paid like a gadget player.

He is getting paid like a backup QB. Maybe the most expensive backup right now, but nothing out of the ordinary. QB's are expensive.

9 minutes ago, devaster said:

He is getting paid like a backup QB. Maybe the most expensive backup right now, but nothing out of the ordinary. QB's are expensive.

Yeeeeessssss but he is not a backup QB, he's so much a gadget player that even ESPN considers him a glorified TE.

If Winston gets paid as a backup QB, that's fine, he is one. If Kamara gets paid like a superstar RB, nobody complains. But if Hill gets an early Christmas present - look, I won't complain, I'm sure there's someone out there telling their wife that I don't deserve my massive salary (and they might be right) but it does make the Saints look quite silly.

That's all. Now let's discuss his merits as a Fantasy asset, because none of my leagues has the PPD (points per dollar) format.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

That’s the thing though, he’s more than just a “gadget” player. He’s a true offensive weapon. He’s a great blocker at TE or slot, he can run pass and catch, he’s a tank to tackle also. Not to mention he has multiple blocked punts, kickoff tackles, and big kickoff returns. The defense can’t key on what he’s doing cause he can do it all. I know I’m a little biased but he is worth every penny.

He energizes the team and if it wasn’t for him the Vikings loss wouldn’t have even been close, we has no business being in that game but he brought us back.

44 minutes ago, Breesus said:

That’s the thing though, he’s more than just a “gadget” player. He’s a true offensive weapon. He’s a great blocker at TE or slot, he can run pass and catch, he’s a tank to tackle also. Not to mention he has multiple blocked punts, kickoff tackles, and big kickoff returns. The defense can’t key on what he’s doing cause he can do it all. I know I’m a little biased but he is worth every penny.

He energizes the team and if it wasn’t for him the Vikings loss wouldn’t have even been close, we has no business being in that game but he brought us back.

Ehhhhhhhh

21M and a first round tender for a rover?   Not great unless you really do see him as your next franchise qb.  

1 hour ago, Breesus said:

Sounds like a player BB would get on the cheap.

3 hours ago, Breesus said:

Yes he can do it all on offense that’s why he’s averaged an incredible 350 yards per season.

As for your special teams points and blocking NFL teams pickup dudes to do that stuff for near minimums. 

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Yes he can do it all on offense that’s why he’s averaged an incredible 350 yards per season.

As for your special teams points and blocking NFL teams pickup dudes to do that stuff for near minimums. 

I’ll concede the argument, doesn’t really matter the saints obviously think he’s worth it and have been successful. To each their own 

2 minutes ago, Breesus said:

I’ll concede the argument, doesn’t really matter the saints obviously think he’s worth it and have been successful. To each their own 

They also thought putting hits out on opponents is a smart idea.

Well run organizations are not perfect...

On 4/26/2020 at 4:37 PM, CooL said:

$16 million guaranteed for this gadget guy? I think they envision him as a Lamar Jackson type who can also catch and even play special teams. But if he is indeed their QB of the future, he’s not going to be playing a gunner running down on kickoffs. He’s not going to be taking hits over the middle. It’s a staggering amount for a guy who is unproven. But kudos to him, seems like a nice guy, did a Mormon mission, and apparently has a very pregnant and pretty wife.

But as far as fantasy, unless he gets dual (or triple) position availability this year, he is undraftable as a QB in redraft. 

Bonkers. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Taysom Hill is a good QB. But I do think that he's going to have increased usage as a gadget player, and that the league is already starting to draft copycat Taysom Hills (Antonio Gibson, Jalen Hurts, Lynn Bowden Jr.).

In my deep dynasty league I'm betting that this is the start of a new trend. How good does your QB play need to be in fantasy when you're eligible at TE?

3 hours ago, pushaZ said:

I don't think Taysom Hill is a good QB. But I do think that he's going to have increased usage as a gadget player, and that the league is already starting to draft copycat Taysom Hills (Antonio Gibson, Jalen Hurts, Lynn Bowden Jr.).

In my deep dynasty league I'm betting that this is the start of a new trend. How good does your QB play need to be in fantasy when you're eligible at TE?

Jalen Hurts is 10x the QB Hill is.

4 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Jalen Hurts is infinitely better at QB than Hill. Silly comp.

Edited by dmb3684

23 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If I am Taysom Hill I am probably pretty pissed that the Saints signed Winston, too.  

Hard to think he’s too pissed after being rewarded with that ridiculous contract.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:39 PM, Breesus said:

can you name 1 player? 

Troy brown one year I believe he led the patriots in receiving, kick off returns yards, punt return yards, and played DB for them cuss they had so many get injured. I think they won a Super Bowl that year

mike vrabel was utilized as a do it all linebacker in both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes and blocking tightend with multiple TDs