NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Taysom Hill 2020 Outlook

lolcopter

Message added by tonycpsu

[ As mentioned previously, Hill's TE eligibility is a league/platform-specific issue that needs to be discussed in either the Commissioner's Corner or Platform Central thread.  Believe it or not, there are people who just want to discuss his fantasy outlook without arguing about which positional eligibility is correct.  Please help us out here and take those discussions elsewhere. ]

I don't know what people's other options are but if I was starting Hill before I'd still roll him out there even after the dicey Philly game. His rushing at least gives him a decent floor. I wouldn't get cute and start Minshew or something. Huge potential upside with Hill

I'm rolling with Hill, but only because I have no other options. I was hoping Brees would be back (holding him too), but keeping my fingers crossed that their D will play well and keep them close enough to avoid potentially benching Hill for Winston. As long as that doesn't happen, I'll be ok taking my chances here 

Edited by trilly

If Tua can hang 28 on the Chiefs then Hill easily can. He had a 73% completion percentage on 38 passes on the road last week. If not for Lutz they win that game.

Hill at home offers a great floor. In a 2 QB league I’d be going with him over guys like Goff or Hurts this week although Hurts is close 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Uncle_Ruckus said:

If Tua can hang 28 on the Chiefs then Hill easily can. He had a 73% completion percentage on 38 passes on the road last week. If not for Lutz they win that game.

Hill at home offers a great floor. In a 2 QB league I’d be going with him over guys like Goff or Hurts this week although Hurts is close 

Tua is a much better QB than Hill could ever hope to be. I can't wait to see the excuses here when the Chiefs build up a lead and Hill flounders when he tries his hackneyed hero ball act.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I still don’t understand the hate Hill gets on here. His stats and record are exemplary after being thrown into being a starting qb. I don’t know exactly what people would like to see better from him other than pass to Kamara more which he’s starting to do as well (Winston would have 10ints by now and at least 2 losses). Regardless, KC defense is a bottom 5 defense period. Every game is close because they cannot stop anything. Hill is a must play if he’s starting. 

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 4

I don't hate Taysom Hill.  I think he is very good for fantasy because of the way Payton is using him and all the rushing yards and TDs.  

But the love for Hill in this thread has gotten out of hand.  Hill is not Dak to Brees's Romo: Hill is Tim Tebow.  His arm is not accurate enough and he does not read defenses and make quick decisions fast enough.

Against good (or even decent) defenses, it is not going to work in the long run.

Edited by SharkSwimmer

31 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

I still don’t understand the hate Hill gets on here. His stats and record are exemplary after being thrown into being a starting qb. I don’t know exactly what people would like to see better from him other than pass to Kamara more which he’s starting to do as well (Winston would have 10ints by now and at least 2 losses). 

I personally was salty before the season that he was getting a big contract for having vague promise as a 30yo, when Kamara didn't get the contract after balling out. However, that's all completely irirelevant now and in 1 league I've picked him up and I'm running him in my QB spot (over other terrible options).

He played 4 games out of which we should probably ignore the Denver game (because that was weird). Against ATL, ATKLL, and PHI he got ~750 yd passing for 4/1, and 150 yd rushing for 2 more TDs; and a passer rating between 100-110. That's not bad at all, and plenty fantasy points.

57 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I don't hate Taysom Hill.  I think he is very good for fantasy because of the way Payton is using him and all the rushing yards and TDs.  

But the love for Hill in this thread has gotten out of hand.  Hill is not Dak to Brees's Romo: Hill is Tim Tebow.  His arm is not accurate enough and he does not read defenses and make quick decisions fast enough.

Against good (or even decent) defenses, it is not going to work in the long run.

Tebow had a .6 second throwing motion (the slowest ever recorded) and Taysom Hill is at .38 seconds which is faster than the average NFL QB (.4). Tebow never threw above 60% completion rate in a 4 game stretch in his entire career and Hill in his very first 4 games is at a whopping 72.2%. I simply don't understand that comparison or that he is "not accurate enough". You are speculating that against "good" defenses, whatever he is doing right now, isn't going to work. You don't know. I read on here that he would guaranteed implode on the road against the 11th best passing D in the Eagles, and he really didn't. He did start very slow (more due to an incredibly conservative gameplan than Hill's fault) and improved as the game went on. If Lutz doesn't botch 2 field goals they win. He absolutely doesn't hold the ball securely when running and it's finally cost him a game. This is true. You haters just come off as people that said he would be an abomination at the beginning and now have to keep defending that stance in the face of him not being an abomination. 

Edited by TennisDude
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, TennisDude said:

Tebow had a .6 second throwing motion (the slowest ever recorded) and Taysom Hill is at .38 seconds which is faster than the average NFL QB (.4). Tebow never threw above 60% completion rate in a 4 game stretch in his entire career and Hill in his very first 4 games is at a whopping 72.2%. I simply don't understand that comparison or that he is "not accurate enough". You are speculating that against "good" defenses, whatever he is doing right now, isn't going to work. You don't know. I read on here that he would guaranteed implode on the road against the 11th best passing D in the Eagles, and he really didn't. He did start very slow (more due to an incredibly conservative gameplan than Hill's fault) and improved as the game went on. If Lutz doesn't botch 2 field goals they win. He absolutely doesn't hold the ball securely when running and it's finally cost him a game. This is true. You haters just come off as people that said he would be an abomination at the beginning and now have to keep defending that stance in the face of him not being an abomination. 

The Eagles had the 9th ranked pass D. Is that a good pass D at home in the cold? Nevertheless, the next game is at Saints stadium where Hill seems to feel a LOT better about running around than outdoors. The Saints D is also a LOT nastier at home (probably the nastiest home defense in football right now). People think Hill can't win this game, and I'm not so sure honestly. There's still absolutely no word on Brees, so that can't be a positive for him playing. And I still think it would take a 3 TD deficit before they even considered bringing in the INT NFL season leader in Winston. 

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SkittleMania said:

Tua is a much better QB than Hill could ever hope to be. I can't wait to see the excuses here when the Chiefs build up a lead and Hill flounders when he tries his hackneyed hero ball act.

Bridgewater also put up 28 fantasy points against the Chiefs, also his best game of the season. But I suppose the guy with 14 TDs to 8 INTs is also a much better QB than Hill could ever hope to be as well, right? 😂😂😂. Hill runs circles around him in terms of mobility as well. Bridgewater did that on the road, meanwhile Hill is in the dome. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If Taysom Hill gets to start against the Chiefs, there will be fantasy points.

What an odd league winner Hill will be if Brees can't get his ribs right.

Everyone seems down on Hill this week. I've got to think if Hill is under center this will be a run heavy game plan to keep KC off the field.

Everyone's running to Hurts, but Hill could be the better Hurts this week.

[...]

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Anyone concerned the floor here he is pulled for Winston? Dude had like 1 fantasy point in the first half last week

I personally think the fact that he shook off that first half to climb back into the game will mean he's even less likely to be pulled. There's nothing good going down the path of Winston. He had years with multiple coaches, and ridiculous weapons to show something and all he did was get worse each year. They would only bring him in to admit defeat and scold Hill for flopping. Regardless, the Chiefs have the 24th worst rush defense and have looked even more atrocious lately. I don't see how Hill can't run in this game, which should give him wonderful single coverage in passing. Obviously, it's a tall task to beat the God that is Maholmes, but he has shown a bit more cracks in the golden armor this season and the Saints D are seriously no joke at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TennisDude said:

I personally think the fact that he shook off that first half to climb back into the game will mean he's even less likely to be pulled. There's nothing good going down the path of Winston. He had years with multiple coaches, and ridiculous weapons to show something and all he did was get worse each year. They would only bring him in to admit defeat and scold Hill for flopping. Regardless, the Chiefs have the 24th worst rush defense and have looked even more atrocious lately. I don't see how Hill can't run in this game, which should give him wonderful single coverage in passing. Obviously, it's a tall task to beat the God that is Maholmes, but he has shown a bit more cracks in the golden armor this season and the Saints D are seriously no joke at home.

Mahomes only had 2 INTs on the season before this past game when he had 3, but 2 of them were ball that were tipped in the air, one by his own WR on a pass that was accurate. Mahomes playing at an MVP level, but I *guess* at his standard he’s showing “more cracks” 😂

And yet Brees has taken some first-team reps in practice this week.  This could be a smokescreen to complicate KCs game prep.  

Don't be surprised if Brees walks out on to the field and gets in the huddle for the Saints' first offensive snap.

Rapoport is the perfect dupe to employ for such a deception.

9 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And yet Brees has taken some first-team reps in practice this week.  This could be a smokescreen to complicate KCs game prep.  

Don't be surprised if Brees walks out on to the field and gets in the huddle for the Saints' first offensive snap.

If he's out there for the first offensive snap it will be a hand off that will be his only snap.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

“And yet Brees has taken some first-team reps in practice this week. This could be a smokescreen to complicate KCs game prep. Don't be surprised if Brees walks out on to the field and gets in the huddle for the Saints' first offensive snap. Rapoport is the perfect dupe to employ for such a deception.”

Brees has stated publicly, essentially, that his return is down to him. He has some $h!+ process, checkpoints he keeps track of. What the team’s medical staff may say, whether getting him back up to speed is in the team’s best short-term interest, doesn’t seem to be a factor. Or, that it’s a foregone conclusion that Brees gives them the best chance to win. I suppose I’m reading too much into it, but on the same day he’s bingeing on microphones, Sean Payton, out of nowhere is like: “oh, & by the way, Jameis Winston will also have an opportunity to become the team’s franchise QB.” That was purportedly in the context of Sir Soggy-sling parking his 42-yr-old carci where it belongs after the season is over. 

Everywhere Payton is cited as saying that Brees “still has a ways to go”. Adam Shefter (below), quoting Payton, says Brees still has “a long ways to go” & that Hill is on track to start this week. I’ve gone back & forth on Hill & bought into Payton’s excitement, but he showed very little confidence in Hill those first two starts. Others go on about Winston, but Hill is lucky he hasn’t turned the ball over multiple times each game. But Brees is lucky too. Lucky the team, including Hill, didn’t play lights out for the entire game last week. Lucky he’s not being named the starter this week & it be this game vs KC they come out & play flat! What a conundrum, a literal $h!+storm for Payton on... “Monday, Monday, baa da, baa da da da” :) 

What does it mean if Hill goes off this week & the Saints beat the Chiefs? Perhaps I’m wrong but that result & Brees’ comment would seem to place the coach in a tough spot. It doesn’t appear as though Hill has done enough, but I have to admit, if he plays error-free & goes off, I see him getting another game. I have it that Payton didn’t appreciate Brees saying what he did publicly & that him saying Winston has a chance is telling us something that he can’t say. But this is all a wash if Hill isn’t a top-5 play this week. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbwaJ6IOBO8

Edited by markrc99

17 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Lol okay, because Drew Brees is such a threat at his current level